Oh my, we R stuck with Hartnell for 6 years LOL SMH

Mario99

Why do people hate the player and NOT the GM who gave him his contract? I've never met a player that has said, "Wait, that's too much money, I don't need all that." 

I don't hate Hartnell.   He actually seems like a decent guy.    I just think it's nuts to have him on the top lines and he makes way too much money for the bottom two lines where he belongs.

That is not Hartnell's fault.  He is what he is.  You're right that the blame is on the GM that offered the contract; not the player.

• Like 1

I've never met a player that has said, "Wait, that's too much money, I don't need all that." 

Paul Kariya says hello.

"With former linemate Teemu Selänne also entering unrestricted free agency that summer after three years with the Sharks (he decided to opt out of his final year, valued at $6.5 million), the duo agreed to reunite and sign with the same team. Together, they approached the Colorado Avalanche, having decided the team had the best chance of winning the Stanley Cup. On July 3, 2003, the Avalanche announced the signing of Kariya and Selänne to one-year contracts. In order for the team to afford both players, Kariya took an $8.8 million paycut from his $10 million salary with Anaheim the previous year, marking the highest decrease in compensation for a player in NHL history. At $1.2 million, his salary was below the NHL average, ensuring that he would have the freedom of unrestricted free agency at the end of the season.

Paul Kariya says hello.

"With former linemate Teemu Selänne also entering unrestricted free agency that summer after three years with the Sharks (he decided to opt out of his final year, valued at $6.5 million), the duo agreed to reunite and sign with the same team. Together, they approached the Colorado Avalanche, having decided the team had the best chance of winning the Stanley Cup. On July 3, 2003, the Avalanche announced the signing of Kariya and Selänne to one-year contracts. In order for the team to afford both players, Kariya took an $8.8 million paycut from his $10 million salary with Anaheim the previous year, marking the highest decrease in compensation for a player in NHL history. At $1.2 million, his salary was below the NHL average, ensuring that he would have the freedom of unrestricted free agency at the end of the season.

Players take pay cuts and that's totally different.

My argument was that a GM isn't going to hear from a player after an offer "No sir, but that's way too much." Players will turn down more money to play on a certain team, or with certain players but that has nothing to do with the money. 

Players take pay cuts and that's totally different.

My argument was that a GM isn't going to hear from a player after an offer "No sir, but that's way too much." Players will turn down more money to play on a certain team, or with certain players but that has nothing to do with the money. 

Correct... isn't that how we lost out on Suter and Parise :ph34r:

Now in fairness... As much of a pansy as I think Hartnell is... And as much as I've said in the past he's overrated by Flyers faithful... He signed that contract in '07 after a 24 goal season. We're any of you shouting it was wrong that year when he scored 30 for your Flyers?

I remember several conversations here where I was attacked for saying Hartnell was overvalued...

So which one is it??

Now in fairness... As much of a pansy as I think Hartnell is... And as much as I've said in the past he's overrated by Flyers faithful... He signed that contract in '07 after a 24 goal season. We're any of you shouting it was wrong that year when he scored 30 for your Flyers?

I remember several conversations here where I was attacked for saying Hartnell was overvalued...

So which one is it??

I can honestly say I never supported the signing. And unless begrudgingly or under duress, I don't think I've really ever complimented his game in any way. I do actually think he's a decent guy--from afar, obviously-- but I don't think he's worth even a small fraction of his salary. Never did.

So which one is it??

Hey, hey, hey...you know logic means nothing here!

So which one is it??

The problem with Hartnell is, he needs superb linemates to produce.  His game is quite simple.  He goes to the net and looks for loose pucks.  And when he does it well, he actually does it quite effectively.  And truth be told, when Holmgren signed him, I was actually one of those who thought that was the right signing.  Remember that signing was after the Flyers finished one of the most horrendous seasons in their history.  There was no attitude, no snarl on the team.  Just about every team has pushed the Flyers around. So at the time, it was exactly what the doctor ordered.

The problem many Flyers fans have with Hartnell is that he is hugely inconsistent and, as I mentioned, largely depends on who he plays with.  So with Giroux struggling, Hartnell is struggling as well.  And when you take that player away from him who does not create chances for him, he becomes basically useless.  Add the fact that his body is wearing down, as most of power forwards bodies do, in a year or two, he will be basically worthless, especially if looked in the context of his inflated salary and NMC.

Edited by Mad Dog