I believe Coots is down on himself & that's why not showing any offense

Mario99

In some circles Couturier was picked to be the #1 overall pick prior to his draft class, in addition he scores nearly 100 points in back to back season on top of dealing with Mono, I feel Homer screwed his development by placing him on the 3rd line and being a defensive center, he is down on himself that he is stuck playing with Talbot & Read which effect how he looks out there

Activestick, by brother says the same thing about Coots, doesn't show any flashes once in awhile, on the other hand he says Brayden Schenn shows some flashes in his game, but how could he be rated #1 overall pick prior to draft if he is slow

but how could he be rated #1 overall pick prior to draft if he is slow

because pre-draft rankings are based on how players perform against children as young as 15.

and it isn't "if he is slow".  he is slow.

Couturier is already one of the best defensive centers in the league. He plays some of the toughest minutes in the league, constantly going up against the opposition's top scorers. Last night he pretty much shut Crosby down for almost the entire game. AND he's only 20 friggin' years old. AND he's stuck on the third line with Talbot (who has been good but is not exactly an offensive dynamo).

So yeah, let's trade the bum.

• Like 4

All these guys must have career low confidence right now. Other teams see it, they feel it, and when this happens all of ones instincts betray you on the ice. Its very obvious when you watch. The only way out is to outwork your opponents until you start creating some luck out there. This needs to be a 'blue collar' team.

In some circles Couturier was picked to be the #1 overall pick prior to his draft class, in addition he scores nearly 100 points in back to back season on top of dealing with Mono, I feel Homer screwed his development by placing him on the 3rd line and being a defensive center, he is down on himself that he is stuck playing with Talbot & Read which effect how he looks out there

i am so sick of the posts supporting this guy.

he is slow, weak and not physical. bad combination if you ask me.

also, everybody uses the fact that he's "only 20" as a crutch. there are dozens of players in the league younger than him who perform better.

face it, he was a bad pick. 

also, everybody uses the fact that he's "only 20" as a crutch. there are dozens of players in the league younger than him who perform better.

i'm not a particularly huge fan of the kid, but, there are well more than dozens of high quality NHL players who were unable to play in the league at 20.  the fact that a handful were able to jump in and come up to speed by that age says nothing about a particular player who so far hasn't.  zetterberg didn't enter the league until he was 22, datsyuk and st louis 23, the sedin twins were rookies at 20.  for starters.

he doesn't look like he'll ever be an offensive dynamo.  he just doesn't have the legs for it, and in a way that appears to be fundamental.  he just isn't quick.  he looks like a neo-michael handzus with the potential for significantly better hands.  maybe that isn't what you hope for with a first half/first round pick, but it is still a good thing to have on a team. 

Couturier is already one of the best defensive centers in the league. He plays some of the toughest minutes in the league, constantly going up against the opposition's top scorers. Last night he pretty much shut Crosby down for almost the entire game. AND he's only 20 friggin' years old. AND he's stuck on the third line with Talbot (who has been good but is not exactly an offensive dynamo).

So yeah, let's trade the bum.

Didn't they sign Talbot to be the 3rd line "shutdown" center?

I don't think it is always the players that are the problem, it is the tendency of the team to fill the same "problem" multiple times and then play the "solutions" out of position as a result.

• Like 1

face it, he was a bad pick. 

all things being equal i'd rather we picked Doug Hamilton...hind sight being 20/20 and all.  Especially since we picked Laughton the next year to fill the same role and who seems to have a step and a half on Sean.

I think Couturier will be a good all around player, that he's an everyday player in the league at 20 is somewhat special, but maybe not the special you're looking for.  I don't think he's a bust, I also don't expect him to be a 90 pt player in the NHL.

• Like 1

Couturier isn't slow if you're referring to his wheels. Mentally he may be a little slow in the offensive zone but I swear that's a result of his linemates more often than not. Does he have Matt Read speed? Hardly. But he's no Handzus for christ's sake. Damn.

I'd bet if he were skating with the Sharks or the Blues you'd see how Couturier can advance the puck with creativity and purpose. I've seen it this year a number of times it's just that he generally gets left at the altar by his linemates. Half the time they're barely through the N zone while Couturier has already made the half-wall, done the stop/turn and is looking for a lane. Not his fault it's not there.

This should've been the season where he starts working on his offensive game; he's done the 2 years of defensive-forward and he did extremely well. He's full of untapped potential; it's big a mistake to think we've already seen his ceiling in the NHL.

• Like 2

Thanks yeah I would love a 2nd opinion based on someone really watching him for a few games - or even one game. I'm not saying everyone is wrong only that maybe they're not watching him closely. Check out where he starts his shift, where the puck is when he changes, etc. Let me know if I'm crazy but I swear he seems to be at least trying to lead his line on the attack.

Thanks yeah I would love a 2nd opinion based on someone really watching him for a few games - or even one game. I'm not saying everyone is wrong only that maybe they're not watching him closely. Check out where he starts his shift, where the puck is when he changes, etc. Let me know if I'm crazy but I swear he seems to be at least trying to lead his line on the attack.

People aren't saying he's slow offensively. They're saying he's slow. He's simply not a very good skater. I actually like him and think he compensates for it with brains and an ability to anticipate a play, but if he reads or reacts even a fraction of a moment late, he simply doesn't skate well enough to make up for it.