Is it Getting Ugly!?

Guest Bakanekimiwa

I posted the same thing on another forum. He's taking it too far.

Focus on your game.

If I'm Laviolette, I don't even put Bryz in if Bob gives up 5 goals at this point.

I think he really pissed off lavy today by leaking bob as starter. That will make things pretty interesting from here on out.

He posted a picture of his thermos (for tomorrow's game, which he said he'd fill with tea and drink while sitting on the bench).

Not sure where he gets off sandbagging the coach on the goaltending decision and leaking it to the press. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Does he think that will enamour him to the coach? The fans? His teammates?

Just look at this quote from Hartnell, and look at the contrast between Bobrovsky's quotes and Bryzgalov's. One sounds like a professional veteran, and the other sounds like a petulant child. Damn, I thought we got rid of that problem over the summer.

While saying they still have confidence in Bryzgalov, virtually everyone in the Flyers’ locker room seemed pleased Bobrovsky was getting the nod.

“Bryz has maybe had a tough couple games, but Bob has been pretty steady the whole year,” high-scoring winger Scott Hartnell said. “I think it might be good for Bryz to get a wake-up call and work on some things and get back to the goalie he can be _ and that we all know. That’s why Homer (GM Paul Holmgren) signed him. He’s going to be good for us. I have a lot of faith in him. He’s a good man, and a great goalie and he’ll be there for us.”

But not on Monday in the biggest stage of the NHL’s regular season.

“Right now, Bob is playing extremely well and he gets rewarded for that,” center Danny Briere said. “I think we’re making a bigger deal of it than it really is.”

Bobrovsky refused to say he was starting, smiling and saying it was not his place to make an announcement.

“It doesn’t matter who starts because the most important thing is the result,” said the second-year goalie. “It’s a real game. It’s two points on the line, so it’ll be special, but the result is the most important thing.”

Bobrovsky is 8-2-1 with a 2.52 GAA and .913 save percentage.

Playing part-time, he conceded, “is more difficult to be as confident and as prepared because I never know when I’ll start. There’s no rhythm for the preparation.”

Is Monday going to be one the biggest games of his life?

Bobrovsky grinned.

“At this point, EVERY game is the most important game of my career,” he said.

Bryzgalov, meanwhile, was asked about his mindset for the Winter Classic

“Make sure I don’t forget early in the morning my thermos. Put some ice tea in and enjoy the bench,” he deadpanned.

About a half hour after Bryzgalov revealed that Bobrovsky would start, coach Peter Laviolette refused to announce his decision. Laviolette said he hadn’t talked to either goalie yet.

Bryzgalov said he was told of the decision by goalie coach Jeff Reese.

that's why i'm wondering if this is the beginning of a very acrimonious divorce. this does not have the makings of a happy ending here. bryz is really putting gasoline on the fire. i predict we will have the all time high count of F bombs from lavy in this week's 24/7

@Spinorama Not sure what it says either, but I'm thinking picking up Bob in fantasy hockey the other day is looking like a pretty smart move. Bryz is off his rocker, I know goalies are not there to begin with, but as time passes, it looks more and more like Bryz is unstable.

Wait a minute, I thought it was really important to keep abreast of the media. Maybe Bryz read all the posts on philly.com last year and figured he didn't want offend all the fans a la Mike Richards, so he's going to accomodate the media no matter what.

This guy needs to grow the heck up or go. I prefer go.

Hartnell's quote is about as perfect as it could be -- tells it like it is but stays positive about Bryz and shows support for him. Props to Scott for a very good answer to a tough question.

I hope Bryz is only trying to be funny and something's just getting "lost in translation" otherwise (as a couple previous posts mentioned) this looks like it's setting up to get worse before it gets better :/

Hartnell's quote is about as perfect as it could be -- tells it like it is but stays positive about Bryz and shows support for him. Props to Scott for a very good answer to a tough question.

I hope Bryz is only trying to be funny and something's just getting "lost in translation" otherwise (as a couple previous posts mentioned) this looks like it's setting up to get worse before it gets better :/

Regardless... You know bryz will be 'spoken to' about this. Probably from several sources.starting with lavy... If he hasn't had a chance yet. Get ready for an uncomfortable morning tomorrow bryz.

oh god - what a d!ck. Good, enjoy your tea and enjoy sitting on the bench - it's right where you belong - and maybe someday, because so much of the media loves little twerps like you you'll have your very own reality t.v. show.

This guy is not funny; he's never been funny and now he's just making an ass of himself.

Until he starts playing like he gives a damn I say fk him.

oh god - what a d!ck. Good, enjoy your tea and enjoy sitting on the bench - it's right where you belong - and maybe someday, because so much of the media loves little twerps like you you'll have your very own reality t.v. show.

This guy is not funny; he's never been funny and now he's just making an ass of himself.

Until he starts playing like he gives a damn I say fk him.

Sometimes a bit of humor helps the ease the embarrassment. It isn't as if Hartnell hasn't said a few comical lines himself at his own mistakes. I fully expect him to work hard and raise his game back to the level that got him the big contract.

From Tim. P

"If there were any worries over the fallout of Ilya Bryzgalov learning that Sergei Bobrovsky would be starting the Winter Classic, it seemed quickly dispelled on New Year’s Day.

Bryzgalov, in his usual self-deprecating humor, admitted the Flyers have a better chance to defeat the Rangers on Monday without him in net.

“I have great news and even better news,” Bryzgalov announced during the first of several scrums he did with the media.

“Great news, I’m not playing tomorrow night. Good news, we have a chance to win the game.” Bryzgalov was dead serious. Alas, his coach, Peter Laviolette wasn’t amused. Why? Because, Laviolette had not spoken to his goalies yet – only to goalies coach Jeff Reese, who told Bryz he wasn’t starting.

“I haven’t spoke to either of the goaltenders yet, but I plan on speaking to them after I get done with you guys,” Laviolette said, allowing his displeasure to seep through.

Bryzgalov was seen leaving Citizens Bank Park before Laviolette said that, so it’s doubtful Laviolette actually got to talk to him in person.

Then again, Bryzgalov said he had already spoken to Reese, anyway, and did not need to talk to Laviolette.

“No, I didn’t see a reason why,” Bryzgalov said. “He’s the head coach. He makes the decisions and he’s responsible for the results. I can understand him. He probably wants to put the best lineup for what he’s got.”

The 31-year-old Bryzgalov has not been focused during three of his last four starts while Bobrovsky has won three in a row, plus delivered huge wins in Dallas and Pittsburgh.

The stats say it all: Bobrovsky in his last eight starts: 5-1, two no-decisions, 1.55 goals against average and .947 save percentage. Bryzgalov in his last four starts: 0-4, 4.58, .816. His season stats of 3.01, ,890 are a career worst for him.

Bryz might be the weekly star of HBO’s 24/7, but Bobrovksy has been less star struck on the ice. The 23-year-old, who was fearful of his coach’s reaction, would not talk about starting or even acknowledge it.

“It doesn’t matter who starts because the most important thing is the result,” Bobrovsky said.

“It’s a real game. It’s two points on the line, so it’ll be special but the result is the most important thing.”

This decision should not surprise anyone. Laviolette is being consistent in his approach to how he handles his team on a daily basis. He rewards players who play well with more ice time.

He started Bobrovsky over Bryzgalov at the end of November because the former had stolen points for him when Bryzgalov was struggling.

As much as Bryzgalov said the decision hurts a bit, his teammates said it shows the coach is consistent in placing the team ahead of individuals, regardless of outside distractions like the Winter Classic or Bryzgalov having a $51 million contract.

Scott Hartnell flat out said what other players have mumbling lately: that this should be a “wake-up call” for Bryzgalov to get his act together.

“I think it might be good for Bryz to get a wake-up call and work on some things and get back to the goalie he can be – and that we all know,” Hartnell said.

“That’s why Homer [general manager Paul Holmgren] signed him. He’s going to be good for us. I have a lot of faith in him. He’s a good man, and a great goalie and he’ll be there for us.”

Hartnell said the players in the room respect Laviolette’s decision because it was a tough call, but the right call.

“It’s great,” Hartnell said. “I think [Laviolette] emphasizes to us players, if you’re not playing or you’re doing stupid things out there or you keep making the same mistakes, you’re going to get limited ice time.

“For goalies I think it’s a little different, but Bob’s been solid for us almost every game he’s played except for the Winnipeg game at home when he had a rough start. When Bryz gets in the net … he’s gotta earn it back.”

Veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen didn’t mince words, either.

“As a coach, I would do the same thing,” Timonen said. “You reward players who play well and work hard. It doesn’t matter if Winter Classic or whatever. Doesn’t matter. You get some playing time and it’s better for everybody.

“The way he played in Pittsburgh, he was calm, he played with confidence. As a player you can tell when a player has confidence. He has it right now and hopefully, he can keep it up because it makes our life easier when the goalie plays really well.”

Danny Briere, who like Timonen wears an “A” also agreed Laviolette is looking past the politics of the event or Bryzgalov’s gargantuan contract and doing what a coach is supposed to do: evaluate off what he sees on the ice.

“It’s one game,” Briere said. “I know it’s a big game, the big stage, but you know what? It’s one game out of 82. Right now Bob is playing extremely well and he gets rewarded for it.”

And Bryzgalov’s mental state down the road?

“I’m not worried about Bryz,” Briere replied. “Bryz is a good goalie. He’s going to bounce back. He’s had some bad luck lately, but we all know he’s a good goalie. We’re going to need him down the stretch.

“We’re going to need him in the playoffs. I’m not worried at all.”

At one point during the many scrums, Bryzgalov got serious when asked if were disappointed.

“Of course I am. I’m a human,” he replied. “I’m not made from steel, but it is what it is. I had a good practice again, like yesterday and two days ago.

“We’ll just keep moving forward. There’s lots of games in front of us, lots of hockey. I heard it was still the main goal in Philadelphia to win Stanley Cup. I’ll prepare for that.”

Then came the spaced-out Bryz.

Asked about his mindset, he replied, “Make sure I don’t forget early in the morning my thermos. Put some nice tea in and enjoy the bench.”

Earl Grey with lemon and very sweet, he added.

In another scrum, Bryz was asked again about not starting.

“People change their minds and they think one way,” Bryzgalov said. “Some point in their life, they lose hope. They change and they start thinking differently.”

You’ve lost hope?

“No, it’s just hockey,” he replied. “Remember what I said about the universe. And our problems here? Come on. Are you serious?

“If you think your life is bad, there is always someone on the Earth even worse. Just be happy. Don’t worry, be happy ... It’s not the end of the universe.”

Holmgren, incidentally, didn’t know about the goalie call, but didn’t have a problem with it either.

“At the end of the day, it’s an event, but there [are] two points on the line,” Holmgren said. “Again, I didn’t know what you were telling me to be true, but Sergei has played well.”

Asked if Laviolette was sending a positive message to team at large that all play is rewarded regardless of potential outside influences, Holmgren replied, “He’s played well. Why not?”

".

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers-talk/post/Bryzgalov-Bobrovsky-to-start-Winter-Clas?blockID=622640&feedID=704

I fully expect him to work hard and raise his game back to the level that got him the big contract.

well, i expect him to stabilize from the really embarassing outings he's had recently. i don't expect him to return to the .92x sv% form that got him the contract. imo, that was smoke and mirrors before, and philly doesn't have the right kind of mirrors to recreate it.

PHX:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/ilyabryzgalovphx.jpg/

PHI:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/ilyabryzgalovphi.jpg

just saying.

well, i expect him to stabilize from the really embarrassing outings he's had recently. i don't expect him to return to the .92x sv% form that got him the contract. imo, that was smoke and mirrors before, and philly doesn't have the right kind of mirrors to recreate it.

LOL

Bryz did have a 9.2 save% 3 of the 4 years he played for Phoenix. So I don't think it would be impossible for him to stabilize and play the rest of the year with a 9.2 save%.