Would the team be necessarily better with Pronger?

ruxpin

I'm going to defer the Pronger trade debate to the old and dead threads

Yeah, you know, you hear in the media and on here sometimes how the Flyers miss Chris Pronger.  I really liked the guy (was more upset about the picks that went out than I was about Sbisa or Lupul).  It's not wonder our cupboard is bare.

But the thing is that we miss Chris Pronger from two or three years ago.  I mean, he was 39 last week.   Who's to say we wouldn't all be yelling "PYLON!"  right now if he were still playing?

Yeah, you know, you hear in the media and on here sometimes how the Flyers miss Chris Pronger. I really liked the guy (was more upset about the picks that went out than I was about Sbisa or Lupul). It's not wonder our cupboard is bare.

But the thing is that we miss Chris Pronger from two or three years ago. I mean, he was 39 last week. Who's to say we wouldn't all be yelling "PYLON!" right now if he were still playing?

Maybe he would be a pylon, though I doubt it. He was too skilled and well positioned to fall of the cliff performance wise. What I can be sure of is that the locker room would be accountable to one another or shipped out. Giroux wouldn't be dancing around the ice like a fool, turning the puck over as much, for starters. Rinaldo can't walk up to Giroux and call him out quite like an established Pronger can.

So was Timonen... Housley... Bourque... I think the physical style Pronger played would have taken its toll by now.

Timonen was never in the same class as Borque and Pronger. Plus, Pronger was a training freak. I just think he would have slowly trailed off like Lidstrom, despite his style of play. Borque was still quite respectable for the Avs if I recall correctly.

hard to see how we don't miss Chris Pronger imo. The picks we gave up for him? another story. But a healthy Pronger gives a team a competitive edge that you can't replace with anyone else - or only with a handful of truly elite players. I think it's practically impossible to overstate how much the Flyers miss him, especially now with a new HC.

but ya know... if the queen had balls she'd be king. Fk it Proger is history. The Flyers better figure out how to play without him. Because obviously they haven't... yet.

There is absolutely no doubt the team would be stronger with Pronger.  I will even take it further and say the loss of Pronger was not only a devastating loss for the Flyers; it ruined them. He meant way too much on and off the ice.  When they traded Sbisa, the draft picks and Lupul to get him, I was first outraged.  But as I saw him play wearing the Flyers uniform, I realized how instrumental and huge he was and how valuable his presence was.

As old and broken down as his body was becoming, when he was healthy, he was a unique player in this league. They were unable to adjust and fill the void.

Edited by Mad Dog

Wow.

When did this become it's own thread?  Interesting.

Okay, the "first" post was initially phrased as a question so I'll answer my own question:

Pronger is 39 years old.  He'd be a slowing pylon.  He'd still be terrific to have in "the room" and that in itself probably would be worthwhile, but on the ice we'd be seeing from him what we're seeing from Timo:  diminished ability=diminished results.

They play a different game you say?    Yes, they do.   The thing that makes Pronger different is the very thing that brought about his injury or would have almost predictably brought about some other injury.   The physical play would have had him injured or significantly weakened by this point.     If he were playing most would be screaming it was time for him to either go or play the third pair "so he'd be more effective."

Timonen was never in the same class as Borque and Pronger. Plus, Pronger was a training freak. I just think he would have slowly trailed off like Lidstrom, despite his style of play. Borque was still quite respectable for the Avs if I recall correctly.

My point was simply that it happens to them all. To US all. The sands of time.. Blah blah blah...

It is impossible to know if Pronger would still be playing at the level he was at the last time we saw him play, but I think it is without debate that if he was still playing at that level, we would be better without a doubt.  I'm not sure how much better our record would be because he doesn't fix our scoring issues greatly, but it would make everyone else's minutes go down and THAT would be huge. 

It is impossible to know if Pronger would still be playing at the level he was at the last time we saw him play, but I think it is without debate that if he was still playing at that level, we would be better without a doubt. I'm not sure how much better our record would be because he doesn't fix our scoring issues greatly, but it would make everyone else's minutes go down and THAT would be huge.

Agreed.

Yeah, you know, you hear in the media and on here sometimes how the Flyers miss Chris Pronger.  I really liked the guy (was more upset about the picks that went out than I was about Sbisa or Lupul).  It's not wonder our cupboard is bare.

But the thing is that we miss Chris Pronger from two or three years ago.  I mean, he was 39 last week.   Who's to say we wouldn't all be yelling "PYLON!"  right now if he were still playing?

Would it be any different than yelling at the Pylons that are here now?  :D   Nope... I would rather see an older Pronger than nearly eveyone that is on our defense right now (not named Gus).

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1