Family members who cheer for teams other than yours

Chicago Hawkie

Who here has family members who cheer for teams other than or instead of the one(s) you cheer for?

I cheer for the Blackhawks now that I live in Chicago, but the rest of my family (those that watch hockey, anyway) cheer for the Red Wings, save for my closest aunt who also cheers for the Blackhawks (unbeknownst to her brother/my dad :D ).  Makes for an interesting rivalry, doesn't it?

I even make bets with my dad over Hawks-Wings games, where whoever loses has to buy dinner for the winner who one of us visits the other.

Most of my family are sadly not Hockey fans. I have one brother in law (we all seem to have one like him) who is not a hockey fan but roots for whoever is playing my Wings whenever he is over and I have the game on. He does the same thing to my Dad with the Buckeyes. Guys like that are not worth my time but he came over in 2009 when the Penguins beat the Wings in game 7 and the only Penguin he even knew was Crosby but he cheered and acted like a mad man when they won. I will get my revenge some day, but haven't figured out just how yet.

• Like 1

I would disown them.

i will not talk the sport in question with them, sports hate for me is far more caustic than any other sort of discrepancy,  so far no one has had the temerity to say , oh i'm a Penguins/Devils fan around me, so i haven't had to go to the nuclear option.

:D

Who here has family members who cheer for teams other than or instead of the one(s) you cheer for?

I cheer for the Blackhawks now that I live in Chicago, but the rest of my family (those that watch hockey, anyway) cheer for the Red Wings, save for my closest aunt who also cheers for the Blackhawks (unbeknownst to her brother/my dad :D ).  Makes for an interesting rivalry, doesn't it?

I even make bets with my dad over Hawks-Wings games, where whoever loses has to buy dinner for the winner who one of us visits the other.

I don't follow football like I used to, but neither one of my brothers-in-law are Eagles fans. One is a Raiders fan, the other a Cowboys fan. It never bothered me. For the most part, I generally don't care who people root for.

Funny thing is ... my brother started watching hockey after I did.  I kind of got him into watching, with a little effort (and during that time, my dad would say he was lucky to have a daughter who watches sports and drinks beer :lol: ).  Nowadays, my brother is the first to mock me and talk smack if the Wings are winning and the Hawks are losing.  :lol:

Most of my family are sadly not Hockey fans. I have one brother in law (we all seem to have one like him) who is not a hockey fan but roots for whoever is playing my Wings whenever he is over and I have the game on. He does the same thing to my Dad with the Buckeyes. Guys like that are not worth my time but he came over in 2009 when the Penguins beat the Wings in game 7 and the only Penguin he even knew was Crosby but he cheered and acted like a mad man when they won. I will get my revenge some day, but haven't figured out just how yet.

Sleep with his sister, that'll show him!

I'm a Flyers fan, my wife cheers for the Devils. We both live in NJ but we here in South Jersey usually root for the Philly teams. She doesn't follow hockey all that closely though. It's bad enough she originally started liking the Devils because of their logo/colors/name haha

• Like 1

This isn't really a cheer for team other than mine per se, but still a family rivalry once a year....

I've been going to the Army-Navy game with my Dad since 1973 (only missed 3 games in that span). I was never in the military, dad was in the Air Force, but he always loved this game and always rooted for Army. So I'm 6 and we go to my first game, I decided to root for Navy....and Navy wins 51-0. It stuck and I've always rooted Navy in the last game of the year, and I've always followed the military academies. Nowadays its more of a tongue in cheek family rivalry, last year at the game I was clapping for Navy but secretly hoping Army would hang for the win, for dad. My oldest son roots Navy but my youngest son....I actually steered him to Army (with help from his mom) to even things out.

Great posts, folks!  Keep 'em coming!

It's too bad the Hawks and Wings don't play each other much now.  During such matchups, whenever my team would score against theirs, I call my Dad and brother and razz them about it, and they do the same when their team scores.  I recently had a land line installed so I do not drain my cell phone battery.  :lol:

Edited by Chicago Hawkie

Well, right away in our household, we have a Minnesota vs. Tampa Bay thing going in all sports where it applies....

Thing is, I DO support the Minny teams as well, so its not a huge rivalry like some of you mentioned with yours...however, some sidebetting and bantering goes on when TB teams play Min teams...usually in baseball though.

I always support the TB over the Minnesota one head to head.  

As for other family members, I do have a few NYR, NYI, NY Yankees, and NY Giants fans up north, but I don't see them enough for any rivalries to really take place.

Back home, my in laws are uuge Bristol City supporters. One cousin is a Rovers supporter, and he has been banned from family gatherings.

My family really doesn't care about sport that much. I am the one into sport. No complications, whether it be Football or Hockey. My gramps was the sports fan, and he had no allegiances, just four televisions to watch American Football.

@bunnyman

"Back home, my in laws are uuge Bristol City supporters. One cousin is a Rovers supporter, and he has been banned from family gatherings."

Aww man ... that's gotta be tough.  Especially with Thanksgiving around the corner ...

Most of the sports fans in my family come from my Dad's side.  My late mother (rest in peace) was a big basketball fan and would watch other teams besides the Pistons (I'd try to make her a Bulls fan), but her side of the family didn't really follow sports.

@bunnyman

"Back home, my in laws are uuge Bristol City supporters. One cousin is a Rovers supporter, and he has been banned from family gatherings."

Aww man ... that's gotta be tough.  Especially with Thanksgiving around the corner ...

Most of the sports fans in my family come from my Dad's side.  My late mother (rest in peace) was a big basketball fan and would watch other teams besides the Pistons (I'd try to make her a Bulls fan), but her side of the family didn't really follow sports.

Considering that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving back home, no big deal. And he is only banned when he gets pissed and talks about how great he thinks his Rovers are. We take the piss out of him, really. He's not really banned except when he drinks too much. We give him a good sorting on occasion.

Sleep with his sister, that'll show him!

I'm a Flyers fan, my wife cheers for the Devils. We both live in NJ but we here in South Jersey usually root for the Philly teams. She doesn't follow hockey all that closely though. It's bad enough she originally started liking the Devils because of their logo/colors/name haha

It took me a little while to get that one, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Canucks fan, but my brother loves the Pens. He started following them on their back-to-back Cup run when he was a kid. To his credit, he endured some very bad seasons. We'd probably get into more heated debates if both of our teams faced off more than twice a year.  So it's pretty civil between us. hehe

• Like 2

@JulesOmlam

Hi!  Welcome to HockeyForums!  :)

That sounds a lot like my Wings fan brother and I ... of course, he could just be talking a mess because I'm his sister and that's what brothers do.  :P   He'll even call me just to laugh at me if he's watching a game involving the Hawks and the Hawks get scored on.  :lol:

I live in the states, but only an hour or so south of Montreal.  Fans here are generally divided between Bruins and Canadiens.  Lots of French-Canadien heritage.  Funny thing is that most of the French named people are Bruins fans. 

Still haven't figured that one out. 

I live in the states, but only an hour or so south of Montreal.  Fans here are generally divided between Bruins and Canadiens.  Lots of French-Canadien heritage.  Funny thing is that most of the French named people are Bruins fans. 

Still haven't figured that one out. 

Very interesting!  :D   Especially given the teams' playoff history, notably in the 1970s.

I'm a Canucks fan, but my brother loves the Pens. He started following them on their back-to-back Cup run when he was a kid. To his credit, he endured some very bad seasons. We'd probably get into more heated debates if both of our teams faced off more than twice a year.  So it's pretty civil between us. hehe

Hey Jules.  Welcome aboard.

I guess it's a good thing he's not a Bruins or Hawks fan, huh?

Welcome.....you guys are brothers....you've got better reasons to hate than hockey   ;)