Just when we started saying nice things about you guys

King Knut

Greetings:

I think we may be seeing the "true" Flyers; a group that isn't as bad as we thought but not as good as the recent streak hinted. We may be lucky to finish .500. 

Best,

Howie

Howie can never win in FLA but also like they weren't there either! As I said after Christmas make moves  everybody is on block in my mind!

I stopped watching after the 1st. It just had that "bad things are about to happen" kinda feel to it. THey were being outworked, outhit, outhustled, and their poor execution - which hadn't cost them games lately - didn't get any better and this time it cost them.

I think @Howie58 is bang on - they're not as bad as we thought, but not as good as their recent 6-0-1 streak either. Playoff bubble, likely a playoff miss.

• Like 1

I have found lately the only way to get the flyers to skate faster is watching the game in fast forward, typically the 4x speed for dishnetwork DVR viewers.  Man do they look good.  :ph34r:

All kidding aside I saw this coming. The last few Flyer wins they were turning the puck over and not making good decisions.  It was only a matter of time before this caught up to them, again.

I have found lately the only way to get the flyers to skate faster is watching the game in fast forward, typically the 4x speed for dishnetwork DVR viewers.  Man do they look good.  :ph34r:

All kidding aside I saw this coming. The last few Flyer wins they were turning the puck over and not making good decisions.  It was only a matter of time before this caught up to them, again.

Completely agree... this was coming and the past few games they had some of the same old mistakes creeping back into their game.   The play w/out the puck is horrendous.   Both G and Jake looked like they were skating at the country club backchecking on the 2nd goal.  

Completely agree... this was coming and the past few games they had some of the same old mistakes creeping back into their game.   The play w/out the puck is horrendous.   Both G and Jake looked like they were skating at the country club backchecking on the 2nd goal.

They must have boarded the same flight as the Core Four and sipped margaritas by the pool.

• Like 2

I think it's unanimous and is very evident: this team can ill-afford NOT to skate.  They don't have personnel who can consistently kill penalty or play with their backs against the wall.

This is what's so maddening about this team.  What is their problem?  Why can't they just give a steady effort every night?

I think it's unanimous and is very evident: this team can ill-afford NOT to skate.  They don't have personnel who can consistently kill penalty or play with their backs against the wall.

This is what's so maddening about this team.  What is their problem?  Why can't they just give a steady effort every night?

MD... This Team HAS to skate to be successful for sure... they need to outwork a Team b/c right now they can't win on talent.  Too many players are playing poorly for them to win on talent.   Somehting this Team really needs is a pure sniper - someone who can consistantly put the puck in the net.   Otherwise, it is nothing more than feast or famine.

To All,

Don't get to watch many games here in Texas, but last night they were HORRIBLE! Seems we cannot compete with teams that have speed. It does kill. The obvious and glaring faults begin with our lack of speed. The other team seems to have better skills handling the puck. We have the most passes to no one in particular and they regularly get picked off leading to breaks the other way. Best way I can describe the Flyers is they look like an AHL team vs. the NHL. Emery played well and I don't think we can blame the goalies this time around.

Wondering if we really need to look at our scouting system and the evaluations that are given to the decision makers. Why can we not draft skill players? Or could this be the result of playing well enough every year and missing out on better talent during the draft? Sounds like the same problems the Phillies have so it must be in the drinking water in Philly.

Have a great Thanksgiving all.

Brelic,

Absolutely spot on! I did overlook that in my post but Sharp was shipped out 'cause he was young and Hitch refused to use young players. Pitkanen had an IV of brain farts so I understood his move, but again we refuse to allow young players to develop to their potential. Is JVR playing both sides of the puck? I was sorry to see Richards traded but he seemed conjoined at the hip with Carter. But, we sure could use a Carter now because we are lacking a pure sniper. The most recent big error was letting Jagr go. He was a steady influence in the room and still has talent that the rest seem to lack.

Again, we will do just well enough to miss out on some real talent. Shake up needed badly.

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Brelic,

Absolutely spot on! I did overlook that in my post but Sharp was shipped out 'cause he was young and Hitch refused to use young players. Pitkanen had an IV of brain farts so I understood his move, but again we refuse to allow young players to develop to their potential. Is JVR playing both sides of the puck? I was sorry to see Richards traded but he seemed conjoined at the hip with Carter. But, we sure could use a Carter now because we are lacking a pure sniper. The most recent big error was letting Jagr go. He was a steady influence in the room and still has talent that the rest seem to lack.

Again, we will do just well enough to miss out on some real talent. Shake up needed badly.

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

All players have deficiencies. People made fun of Pitkanen (myself included), but he's no worse than the top 4 we have now. Same with Seidenberg - I don't think anyone had a problem with him, but they just sent him away because, well, I don't even know why. Because he was run of the mill, I guess, but he was so young when they traded him away. He would be in our top 4 today logging heavy minutes and playing a nice defensive role.

JVR's not a defensive player, and we shouldn't expect him to be. Neither is Kessel, but he puts the puck in the net. Ovechkin is BRUTAL on 2/3 of the ice. Kane is not a defensive player. Sometimes we give up on players too early, other times we don't put them in a position to excel, or sometimes both.

So I'm not sure we necessarily get better when we make trades. In some cases, we do, in many cases, we don't. The point is that the Flyers often trade away what they have because they overvalue players from other organizations. They don't trust their own. And the constant turnover makes it so that you can't properly evaluate what you do have.

• Like 1

@ PuckMeister

Giroux? There's a lot of teams shaking their heads wondering how they let him slide by them. Laughton is developing some nice skill right before our eyes if you put forth the effort to watch. And of course as you mentioned when your team HAS to go for it every single year you never draft high enough to get those elite players that usually are gone by the time we're picking in the 20-29 area.

And that's if Holmgren even keeps the pick...he's traded away 5-1st rounders and 7-2nds since he became gm. It's hard to draft well if you don't keep your picks.

• Like 1

I stopped watching after the 1st. It just had that "bad things are about to happen" kinda feel to it. THey were being outworked, outhit, outhustled, and their poor execution - which hadn't cost them games lately - didn't get any better and this time it cost them.

I think @Howie58 is bang on - they're not as bad as we thought, but not as good as their recent 6-0-1 streak either. Playoff bubble, likely a playoff miss.

Brelic:

The next stretch on the road will say a lot about this gang. There are no slugs the next two weeks.  

Peace, and happy Turkey Day.

Howie can never win in FLA but also like they weren't there either! As I said after Christmas make moves  everybody is on block in my mind!

Jam:

I just wrote Brelic the next stretch on the road will say a lot about the team. If we head into 2014 on a low note all but goal would seem touchable but the cost of contracts may limit our deck clearing. Who would pay for some of these people?

Howie

A couple of things, First Raffl instead of Read killed the cohesiveness of the third line. It has become readily apparent that this team goes as the 3rd line goes and they went nowhere with Raffl.  Second, Tampa is playing with a vengeance trying to show that Stamkos is not the be all end all for them and doing a pretty solid job of it too. I don't know if the ice was as bad as it looked the last 2 games but it looked as if both teams had trouble settling the puck. Schenn(L)/Streit/Gustafsson played collectively HORRIBLE. They could not even clear the zone without fumbling the puck directly to one of the forechecking lightning players. The short and quick concise passes were nowhere to be found the last 2 games either. Both games they continually tried to stretch the ice with poor/low percentages passes which often ended as turnovers or offsides. Another trend that I don't like seeing is the swallowing of the whistles on interference/hooking calls. Make the calls early in the game and set the tone.The players learn quickly how much they can get away with or not and letting a team consistently hook/grab/trip and not make calls is going to set the game back.  I hope the Flyers recover quickly from the turkey coma they have appeared to be in the last 2 games. We will see soon enough with a Black Friday morning game...

Edited by flyerrod