Callahan on the trade block?

hf101

Callahan has made it clear he wants to stay captain of the Rangers however he is said to be asking for a 7 year $42M deal that Sather believes is far too expensive.  Thus it is being rumored that the two sides are far apart. 

Surely Callahan can get his $42M on the open market.  So are the Rangers really looking to trade their captain now while their team is in the mix for a playoff berth?  Granted they could get more for him prior to the trade deadline but I have to believe it completely blows the make up of their team for a playoff run this season.  The team pretty much wins most of their games with a healthy Callahan in the line up.

Should the Rangers trade Callahan? 

rangers have the room to sign him to such a deal or close without putting them in cap hell ala the pens.. cap geek shows they have 42 mil in salary next year.( http://www.capgeek.com/rangers ). i think the're foolish but hey the're the hated enemy let them be foolish. i also hear giradi may be moved as well

Edited by Irishjim

Several rumors are circulating that the Rangers are pursuing Chris Stewart who has fallen out of grace with the organization for his inconsistent play. I think he would be a good fit with his grit and hard style of play.  

Personally I was shocked when they dealt for Nash that they gave up Dubinsky with his hard style of play instead of Callahan, it seemed to me then that Dub was the keeper and Callahan would not develop like they hoped.

That said, if they wanna trade Callahan to the winged wheel I would be quite happy.

I don't think there is a fan base in the NHL that would be upset if the new #24 sweater on the merch table said Callahan on the back.

**** i'd love for him to wind up a Flyer, too bad Homer binged on VLC last year, I would sign Callahan to a nice deal in a heart beat.  I love that guy's game, i hate him you know 'cause  he's a Ranger, but damn he'd look good in O/B.

i don't know how old he is but i would open the wallet to bring him into the fold.

Edited by mojo1917

I don't think there is a fan base in the NHL that would be upset if the new #24 sweater on the merch table said Callahan on the back.

**** i'd love for him to wind up a Flyer, too bad Homer binged on VLC last year, I would sign Callahan to a nice deal in a heart beat.  I love that guy's game, i hate him you know 'cause  he's a Ranger, but damn he'd look good in O/B.

i don't know how old he is but i would open the wallet to bring him into the fold.

He's 28 going on 29 this year, and I found a few links that suggest he might get traded before the deadline (below).  Of note though, he's never scored 30 goals, and put up only 25 assists twice.  Take away his 2011-2012 season (54 points, career high) and he's actually kind of an overrated player.  No way I'd pay 7yr 6M per for him.

stats - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3886/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-facing-dilemma-callahan-article-1.1595758

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24426089/report-rangers-allow-team-to-speak-with-ryan-callahans-agent

The local scapegoat Hartnell has put up 30 twice (20 in 08-09, 37 in 11-12).  And is a cap hit of 4.2M per year.

stats - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2418/

Callahan's agent will not get that money, even adjusting for today's dollars and cap ceiling.

rangers have the room to sign him to such a deal or close without putting them in cap hell ala the pens.. cap geek shows they have 42 mil in salary next year.( http://www.capgeek.com/rangers ). i think the're foolish but hey the're the hated enemy let them be foolish. i also hear giradi may be moved as well

Not to get off topic...but cap hell?  $16,000,000 to sign 2-3 d-men and 4 or 5 3rd/4th line forwards? (Letang's increase accounted for...)

If that is cap hell, I'd hate to be the Flyers.  ;)  Same number of players (15) as the Pens under contract for next year but about $3,000,000 less to spend...and one of those 15 is Pronger....so it's $3,000,000 less to spend on more players.

Juuuuuust sayin'.....

Callahan could be this years version of Clarkson. Overrated production wise, he will never be a 30 goal guy....but he could play on my team anytime. He's more useful than Clarkson, he can actually skate and is just tough as nails and never stops working. Problem is, there are other guys that come close to his work ethic and score just as much for half the price. I believe somebody will pay him 40+, but that is a hefty price tag for a guy with his skill set. Heart, guts and determination only go so far.

• Like 1

Not so sure what the Rangers are going for here entertaining the idea of trading their team captain...unless, as I suspected all along, the 'Tortorella constructed' Rangers are being slowly phased out in favor of a more Vigneault-esque team.

Oh yes, I know there is a financial issue given what Callahan may want vs. what the Rangers feel he can provide for them stat-wise, but honestly, if you look at not only the players that are no longer on the team (and the ones seemingly on the way out) since that Eastern Conference Finals and coaching change, one can see that the team is slowly being made over.

Whether that is a good thing or not will obviously depend on the results but since the team does seem to be moving to more of a wide open style, speed and offense first type style, along with some more...ummm....irritating type play on the ice  (think Vigneault's former Vancouver Canucks that dominated the old North West Division), then it only makes sense that Callahan isn't viewed as a good fit on the team anymore.

If the Rangers are going to shell out big money, it will most likely be for a guy who will show up more on the scoresheet, a much faster skater, and if he has Alex Burrows-like qualities such as the ability to piss off opposing players simply by showing up on gameday, then that is a plus.

Ryan Callahan may not be a stat producing machine, but the guy DOES have offense and does all the dirty work stuff (standing in front of nets taking beatings, digging for pucks in corners while getting cross checked, dropping down to block shots, stick up immediately for teammates, etc) that many prima donna goal scorers simply won't do.

That in itself will get him a good payday from someone in the NHL.

And the Rangers can say what they want about what they think Callahan is worth, or isn't worth, but I bet if they trade him, they'd probably like to trade him out West somewhere where they won't have to deal with the player "They Don't Think Is Worth What He Is Asking, But Don't Want To Be Proven Wrong If He Plays Withing The Division Or Conference".

We all know how that goes.

In the East, he would fit in nicely with teams such as New Jersey, Philadelphia, Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, and Buffalo. Hell, he honestly would fit in well just about anywhere, but those teams I believe could benefit the most from him.

Not that the Rangers would trade him to any of those...at least, I wouldn't think they would.

Out West? Perhaps Nashville, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver (yup...I think Torts would take him), or Dallas would be best fits for various reasons. But again, he could probably find his niche on any team.

There is a market for this guy. Whether teams are going to give him what he would want based on his stats is another story...but if some team who has more than enough cap room, perhaps a room full of young, but inexperienced players, and just a couple pieces away from being real playoff contenders this year and beyond, then I can see that team either trading for him (then giving him an extension), or waiting around for the off season and try to get him then.

As for the Rangers, well, good luck with what they are trying to do over there. It's one thing for Vigneault and his old Canucks-style players to dominate a mostly dormant North West Division...it's quite another to try to do the same in a new division filled with much more competitive teams top to bottom...plus there are MORE of them due to the re-alignment.

So far, so good for them...but then again, outside of Pittsburgh, the rest of the Metro right now isn't exactly filled with dominant teams...though, I am willing to bet that will change in the near future.

Teams like Philly and NJ won't stay inconsistent teams for very long, and up n comers such as Columbus, Carolina, and perhaps the Islanders, will make sure Pittsburgh doesn't always have an easy run to a division title year after year.

So the transforming 'new look' Rangers best be able to deal with a mixture of fast play and skill (Washington, Carolina, Islanders) as well as tough checking and grinding (New Jersey, Columbus), along with a combination of all of the above (Philly, Pitt for instance) in short order.

And that is just in the division...not taking into account teams from  the Atlantic whom the Rangers may have to deal with if it comes down to Wild Card places.

Ryan Callahan will be fine.

Whether he actually stays on with the Rangers (doubtful now), or is on another team, the will be an integral part of a team's success...and someone WILL pay him to be there.

Not to get off topic...but cap hell?  $16,000,000 to sign 2-3 d-men and 4 or 5 3rd/4th line forwards? (Letang's increase accounted for...)

If that is cap hell, I'd hate to be the Flyers.  ;)  Same number of players (15) as the Pens under contract for next year but about $3,000,000 less to spend...and one of those 15 is Pronger....so it's $3,000,000 less to spend on more players.

Juuuuuust sayin'.....

16 mil is not a whole lot to spend when you only have 15 players signed next season..you'll see when the roster gets finalized

16 mil is not a whole lot to spend when you only have 15 players signed next season..you'll see when the roster gets finalized

Sure it is....when you are filling out your 3rd and 4th lines and your 5/6 defence pairing.  $16 million to sign 7 players.  That's an average of over $2,000,000 per player.  Factor in the handful of $500,000 - $700,000 guys that every team has and now you are close to $3,000,000 per player.  Look at the bottom 6 on Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim and Boston. Hardly any making more than $2,000,000.

In other words, in pretty good shape.

Now trying doing the same with $5,000,000 in dead money - you'll see how much harder that is.

Like I said - Flyers have more players to sign and less money to play with. So if the Pens are in cap hell.....

Now trying doing the same with $5,000,000 in dead money - you'll see how much harder that is.

Like I said - Flyers have more players to sign and less money to play with. So if the Pens are in cap hell.....

There are only a few times that's really a problem - there is the 10% off-season exemption for extra cap space.

The first is number of NHL contracts. Not often an issue for a lot of squads, but the Flyers are constantly butting up against it.

The second is start of the season when Pronger has to be on the opening day squad with the reduced cap. That generally means someone(s) is (are) getting sent down until they can clear up the LTIR space. Not a problem for a lot of squads, but the Flyers were up against it with the reduced cap this season.

Aside from that...

That's not to say the Pronger contract "isn't a problem" just that it's not really "cap hell" either...

OK, further, Flyers have a projected $12.6M on the "$71M" cap next season. That includes Pronger. Again, the team gets a 10% off-season exemption so the off-season cap (which also includes pro-rated AHLers, etc.) is around "$78M."

Essentially, the Flyers are free to use that space in the off season and worry about it when they have to make the opening night roster. So the $12.6M is "really" more like the $16M you are talking about with the Pens, if not a smidge more.

Flyers "need" to sign two defensemen, a backup goalie and three forwards for a full squad and probably two more on top.

Figure Raffl near $1M or so, Gustaffsssonn qualified at $1M and some sort of Adam Hall type at the $750K mark. $13.25M left, re-sign Schenn (who could be qualified for something like $900K) at somewhere in the $3M range (4-year deal?). $10M left. Sign a back up goalie for $1M. $9M to go and you've got depth forwards and a top defenseman to pursue.

Again, really not "cap hell." But it is getting warm.

Callahan is apparently asking for more money than previously posted.  He is demanding somewhere between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years, according to TSN.

That would give him a cap hit comparable to Mikko Koivu, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, and each of the Sedin twins.

@radoran

So long story short, either we are both in "cap hell" (not really) or we are both in OK-not-great-but-not-bad shape.  My (kinda) point all along. 

I just get annoyed at the notion that a team that spends up to the cap is assumed to be in "cap hell".  About the only player on the Pens who might be considered overpaid is Letang...and that deal doesn't start until next year when he could easily start playing Norris-caliber hockey again.

Is Callahan a 6 million dollar a year player ?

See my team has Claude Giroux and evidently he will be an 8 million dollar a year player so I don't know if I have a good reference point.

For me Callahan is worth and due a nice payday, I love the way he plays and the intangibles be brings to the ice in terms of leadership and hustle, I don't know if his production is on par with 6 million dollar a year players, plus he's on the back half of his prime years...I think the long term deal is risky. 2 years ago I sign him to 5.5 times 6 without batting an eyelash....today a couple of injury filled season's later , it is not an easy decision.

I have always thought he'd look great in orange and black though.