Thomas Vanek

Fwiw, looks like he will not remain an Islander:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442894

Newsday's Arthur Staple tweeted Monday morning that his sources indicate the 30-year-old Austrian has turned down a "substantial" contract offer from the Islanders.

Staple added that the Islanders are now likely to deal Vanek before the NHL's Mar. 5 trade deadline.

Newsday reported on its web site that the offer is "believed to be in the same range as Vanek's current seven-year, $50 million deal.

Fwiw, looks like he will not remain an Islander:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442894

Newsday's Arthur Staple tweeted Monday morning that his sources indicate the 30-year-old Austrian has turned down a "substantial" contract offer from the Islanders.

Staple added that the Islanders are now likely to deal Vanek before the NHL's Mar. 5 trade deadline.

Newsday reported on its web site that the offer is "believed to be in the same range as Vanek's current seven-year, $50 million deal.

Good sign him in the off season to play on the wing with G and Jake!!!

Or G and Raffl!!!!!!!!!!

Good sign him in the off season to play on the wing with G and Jake!!!

Or G and Raffl!!!!!!!!!!

I've been kicking the tires on the "add Vanek" line, but haven't gotten many takers.

You think locking up $16+M on two players on one line is a good investment? Could be. I'm curious as to opinions.

You think locking up $16+M on two players on one line is a good investment? Could be. I'm curious as to opinions.

YES!!!!!

With one caveat....someone has to go from the lineup. who why and when well that is almost a whole different topic thread..... :ph34r:

I've been kicking the tires on the "add Vanek" line, but haven't gotten many takers.

Yes, but for no more than 4 years. 

I'm telling you, he has maybe 2 more years of elite production before declining. That's worth an extra 2 years, but not an extra 5.

• Like 1

Yes, but for no more than 4 years. 

I'm telling you, he has maybe 2 more years of elite production before declining. That's worth an extra 2 years, but not an extra 5.

In that case, Homer must have Vanek's agent on speed dial   :)

I would love to see Vanek on the Wing beside Pavel. With the cap going up and the Wings with a bunch of expiring contracts Vanek could easily fit money wise.

The BIG problem for whoever wants Vanek is the Isles are facing a PR disaster. They felt Vanek would be the missing piece to get the club back in the hunt and gave up the popular Moulson and a first rounder, they are not just going to donate Vanek to the save the Canucks fund or the Wings or whoever. For the Isles to keep from looking like Garth Snow is the biggest moron in a GM chair in hockey they need a return at the very least close to what they gave up or Snow could be the next one voted off the Island.

So if folks want Vanek prepare to overpay. Callahan has been given permission for his agent to work out a possible deal with potential suitors, which makes him worth more. If Vanek can have a contract worked out in advance (something Snow should have done) then it is worth paying the price. If not then the chance of someone else falling into the same trap as the Isles is slim at best.

I would love to see Vanek on the Wing beside Pavel. With the cap going up and the Wings with a bunch of expiring contracts Vanek could easily fit money wise.

The BIG problem for whoever wants Vanek is the Isles are facing a PR disaster. They felt Vanek would be the missing piece to get the club back in the hunt and gave up the popular Moulson and a first rounder, they are not just going to donate Vanek to the save the Canucks fund or the Wings or whoever. For the Isles to keep from looking like Garth Snow is the biggest moron in a GM chair in hockey they need a return at the very least close to what they gave up or Snow could be the next one voted off the Island.

So if folks want Vanek prepare to overpay. Callahan has been given permission for his agent to work out a possible deal with potential suitors, which makes him worth more. If Vanek can have a contract worked out in advance (something Snow should have done) then it is worth paying the price. If not then the chance of someone else falling into the same trap as the Isles is slim at best.

Problem is the deadline is coming fast, no negotiations can happen during the olympic break, so in essence, were almost two weeks from the deadline. Anyone looking at Vanek has will have to move fast.

It will be interesting to see what the final deal is.  The whole Buffalo thing skews things. They basically said hey, we're going to lose him anyway, so we'll trade players, and you give us a number one. If I was Buffalo, I would have waited myself for the deadline. I think Buffalo moves Molson too, and gets another pick/prospect in the deal.

Now that he is certain to be a deadline deal, I don't think I'd say that its going to be an automatic overpay for him.  First, everyone knows that the Isles have to trade him or get nothing, so I at least see some initial lowballing on the offers.They may get their first rounder back, but don't expect a A-list player too. More like a first rounder and a prospect and/or 3rd liner.

Second, he's good, but is he THAT good to plop down big dollars for? He's 30, this is the last BIG contract he'll probably get.  I'm thinking he's going to want a 5 year deal with NTC from someone at significant dollars if its not just a rental.

Last, if its not to the Wild, its a rental by all the rumors. I just don't see a bidding war for him.

@nossagog  Just watching the Kings vs Jackets game. The Kings are 1-10-1 in their last 12 games, and have scored a whopping 13 goals in those 12 games. If any team is desperate for scoring, it's the Kings right now. I can see them parting with Taffoli and a 1st to ignite their offense. They are literally desperate for goals right now, so if any team is gonna be all in on a rental for a scoring winger, it's the LA crew. We know the goaltending and defense are there, so he just might be the missing piece they are looking for. Would be a nice deal for both teams.

i feel so bad for that islanders franchise, they have been a mess for so many years

Buffalo says hello.

@nossagog  Just watching the Kings vs Jackets game. The Kings are 1-10-1 in their last 12 games, and have scored a whopping 13 goals in those 12 games. If any team is desperate for scoring, it's the Kings right now. I can see them parting with Taffoli and a 1st to ignite their offense. They are literally desperate for goals right now, so if any team is gonna be all in on a rental for a scoring winger, it's the LA crew. We know the goaltending and defense are there, so he just might be the missing piece they are looking for. Would be a nice deal for both teams.

I haven't seen Toffoli play, so I don't have a good idea of his talent, but I'm not sure that's what I would do as the Kings, but the Isles would love it. Looking at raw stats, he's got 10 goals and 9 assists in 39 games, making him one of the top scorers on the Kings team.  Purely by the numbers, I'd be more inclined to offer up Jarret Stoll than Tofolli in any deal.   

lol true but buffalo still had some good runs, i cant think of the islanders do well past 20 some odd years 

Thing is that everyone thought that when Pegula bought into the team, things were going to immediately change for the better, but at the moment they have gotten much worse.

Buffalo says hello.

I haven't seen Toffoli play, so I don't have a good idea of his talent, but I'm not sure that's what I would do as the Kings, but the Isles would love it. Looking at raw stats, he's got 10 goals and 9 assists in 39 games, making him one of the top scorers on the Kings team.  Purely by the numbers, I'd be more inclined to offer up Jarret Stoll than Tofolli in any deal.   

Well, it's the old adage, you gotta give to get. Toffoli should be a future star, with tremendous upside....why would the Islanders want Stoll...a 3rd line checking center with literally no upside? Factor in the presence of Frans Nielsen, one of the games very best checking centers, Stoll becomes a no-go from the get go.

@jammer2

I didn't say that the Isles would go for it, I said that what I'd be offering from the Kings side, who knows where the negotiations go from there.  A future star AND a number one was what you were offering, which I think is too much if you don't think you can resign him. You say he's going to be a future star, then that would be a no go from the start for me from the Kings.   That would be terribly short sited of the Kings.

They are much worse by choice do not forget.  They chose to rebuild when they traded guys like Vanek and Pommer.  They could have sat still like your boys and crossed their fingers.  But in the long run I think it will pay off.  Sure we will be bad until we get the turnover.  But we have a  few keepers.  All of those number one and two picks Darcy stockpiled will eventually pay off, whether in the draft or by trade

Trading for Gary Roberts, Marion Hossa, Bill Guerin, Alexi Kovalev, Jarome Iginla, Brendan Morrow and Douglas Murray at recent trade deadlines is sitting still? :ph34r:

Signing Paul Martin, Zbynek Michalek and Rob Scuderi in recent offseasons is sitting still? :ph34r:

Interesting. ;)

Posted · Hidden by hf101, March 3, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by hf101, March 3, 2014 - off topic

Trading for Gary Roberts, Marion Hossa, Bill Guerin, Alexi Kovalev, Jarome Iginla, Brendan Morrow and Douglas Murray at recent trade deadlines is sitting still? :ph34r:

Signing Paul Martin, Zbynek Michalek and Rob Scuderi in recent offseasons is sitting still? :ph34r:

Interesting. ;)

I mistook you for a Flyers fan.  I meant the Flyers not the penguins.  But while we are talking about the Tuxedo's, they are soooooo overated.  The Rangers will beat them

I mistook you for a Flyers fan.  I meant the Flyers not the penguins.  But while we are talking about the Tuxedo's, they are soooooo overated.  The Rangers will beat them

Yes, Rick. Soooooooooooooo overrated. 

As has been pointed out to you on more than one (thousand) occasion(s), a poster's "favorite team" is right there under their avatar.

You also post at B21 as if he was the same poster as nossagog.

Your obsession with "b-b-b-b-but The Flyers!" is laughable and unnecessary all at once.

As has been pointed out to you on more than one (thousand) occasion(s), a poster's "favorite team" is right there under their avatar.

You also post at B21 as if he was the same poster as nossagog.

Your obsession with "b-b-b-b-but The Flyers!" is laughable and unnecessary all at once.

Seems you have a habit of following my every move

Seems you have a habit of following my every move

Yes, you can see the "Global Moderator" under my name - I'm one of those that have been approving your posts while you were being "monitored"

And I am also tasked with monitoring your progress to make sure you don't regress to your previous behaviors.

R.I.F. - reading is fundamental

They are much worse by choice do not forget.  They chose to rebuild when they traded guys like Vanek and Pommer.  They could have sat still like your boys and crossed their fingers.  But in the long run I think it will pay off.  Sure we will be bad until we get the turnover.  But we have a  few keepers.  All of those number one and two picks Darcy stockpiled will eventually pay off, whether in the draft or by trade

I would suggest they were getting worse LONG before the Vanek and Pommer trades. They didn't make a choice to get worse...they were already bad and decided to rebuild.   

You can thank Darcy for that.  He should have been gone eons ago.....

I would suggest they were getting worse LONG before the Vanek and Pommer trades. They didn't make a choice to get worse...they were already bad and decided to rebuild.   

You can thank Darcy for that.  He should have been gone eons ago.....

Wait - you mean they didn't choose to sign Ville Leino to that God-awful contract?  I knew it...Darcy just slipped on a banana peel and - oops! - signed the contact.

Yes, you can see the "Global Moderator" under my name - I'm one of those that have been approving your posts while you were being "monitored"

And I am also tasked with monitoring your progress to make sure you don't regress to your previous behaviors.

R.I.F. - reading is fundamental

Oh snap!