showed a lot of heart

King Knut

Good LORD they're just terrible. Just atrociously terrible.

I actually did not think they were bad in the shoot out today. Vinny had Tukka beat, but the puck rolled / bounced off at the last nano second. Voracek (can't say beat), but had a good look. Credit to Tukka on the aggressiveness to cause a bit of a hiccup in Jakes move- he still had light for the five whole and Rukka was moving. Reads and Raffls attempts were ho-hum. 

Not sure I would say outplayed either. I think there was good ebb and flow. I thought the 1st and 2nd were both pretty evenly matched. The most of the third and OT, the Flyers dominated (except when it really counted on the 5-on-3). One could say that Boston let off the gas in the third / ot because they played yesterday and had nothing to play for today. So, I wouldn't let the third / ot distort that it was a fairly even game. 

All in all, a really good hockey game played both bo

Edited by Vanflyer

Hung with the best and outplayed them most of the day, but GOD this team sucks at the shoutout

Good LORD they're just terrible. Just atrociously terrible.

Read missed the friggin net on his attempt! I don't understand how a professional hockey player, uncontested, fires it off the glass! Very Carter-like :(

Edited by Samifan

I didn't like VLC in the shootout. I realize he had a good game so Berube was going with the "hot hand," but I actually thought his shootout attempt was pathetic.

Jake had Rask beat.  Great idea on the poke check and I guess it shook Jake up, but if Jake keeps it an extra second and goes wide rather than trying to go back 5-hole, he has all of south Philly to shoot at.

Read...if you're trying to go high and the puck goes on edge at all, you can miss.  I don't care if it's uncontested or not.  

I like Raffl, but that was a pretty sorry attempt.  

Considering what he had coming at him, I thought Mason did well, but man Bergeron deked him out of his cup.

All that said, I HATE THE SHOOTOUT.

Not sure I would say outplayed either. I think there was good ebb and flow

Completely agree.   I think the ice significantly tilted for the Flyers in the third, but Boston looked gassed to me.  I think the positive to take from the game is that they did hang with #1.  I'm not sure if it due to the letdown the Bruins probably had (my theory) or not, but like you said, good game by both.

Read missed the friggin net on his attempt! I don't understand how a professional hockey player, uncontested, fires it off the glass! Very Carter-like :(

Therien made a career out of it.

I didn't like VLC in the shootout. I realize he had a good game so Berube was going with the "hot hand," but I actually thought his shootout attempt was pathetic.

Jake had Rask beat.  Great idea on the poke check and I guess it shook Jake up, but if Jake keeps it an extra second and goes wide rather than trying to go back 5-hole, he has all of south Philly to shoot at.

Read...if you're trying to go high and the puck goes on edge at all, you can miss.  I don't care if it's uncontested or not.  

I like Raffl, but that was a pretty sorry attempt.  

Considering what he had coming at him, I thought Mason did well, but man Bergeron deked him out of his cup.

All that said, I HATE THE SHOOTOUT.

Agreed. So was Raffl's. I have noticed this since the Olympics, but what's with this new tactic of skating to the net as slow as humanly possible during the shootout? Seems like a pretty sh!tty strategy.

what's with this new tactic of skating to the net as slow as humanly possible during the shootout? Seems like a pretty sh!tty strategy.

It can be effective in some cases, but I think in most cases speed kills.  I think they want to go in slow and get the goalie to blink first.   But with going slow, I think so long as the goalie has the discipline to stay put, the goalie is going to win that baring just an incredible shot (which can also be done with speed, so SKATE DAMMIT!)

For me, the shootout is boring enough without someone slug-walking it to the net.

It can be effective in some cases, but I think in most cases speed kills.  I think they want to go in slow and get the goalie to blink first.   But with going slow, I think so long as the goalie has the discipline to stay put, the goalie is going to win that baring just an incredible shot (which can also be done with speed, so SKATE DAMMIT!)

For me, the shootout is boring enough without someone slug-walking it to the net.

It kills me. I feel like every time I watch someone take this approach is a really slow journey to the net with a really poor attempt at fooling a goalie or none at all. It's just brutal to watch.

• Like 1

I feel like if it's back and forth for two and slanted to the flyers in the third, that's mathematically outplaying them. Fractions and such. But this is all academic.

Gassed or not, those bruins know where their team mates are going to be and where their opponents probably won't be. The Flyers were quick to shut them down, but they can be scary.

Completely agree. I think the ice significantly tilted for the Flyers in the third, but Boston looked gassed to me. I think the positive to take from the game is that they did hang with #1. I'm not sure if it due to the letdown the Bruins probably had (my theory) or not, but like you said, good game by both.

The shootout seriously is a pimple on the ass of hockey. It is just stupid to be honest.

On the whole you can't dislike the heart of this team. I have been a critic all season but think this group has moxy. Add a good defender and a sniper an this team is right there

I think the ice significantly tilted for the Flyers in the third, but Boston looked gassed to me.

Agreed. The mere fact that they played the Flyers full tilt for two periods after a game the day before, with nothing to play for, says allot to me. 

If I have to get behind a team in the east other than the Flyers, I can do worse than rooting for the Bruins. I like their brand of hockey. Plus they don't have an N or P to start the name of their team.

Many good comments here.

I like the way the Flyers are playing this time of year compared to other years.

Great game to watch yesterday!

Hate the shootout too.

It's like ending a tie basketball game with a slam dunk contest.

What's so bad about a tie game?

What's so bad about a tie game?

I was actually pondering this yesterday (more the shoot-out v. 4-4, 5-5, 3-3 for 5, 10 min etc.). 

There are two things: 

1) Marketing to a general mass- Meaning that the general mass does not want to watch an overtime drag on. The shoot-out is a gimmick only for the general mass. 

2) Revenue / Advertising- For whatever reason (I will assume its because its a 4th rate sport), don't want to pay additional dollars for OT. 

I know there are other factors. I am fine with the idea that a tie is a tie, but the honchos in corporate central thought it would be a better idea to attract more viewers. 

I guess the problem really is that team will keep the point in hand that makes the OT not so significant. I get that. The other problem is that the sponsors / advertisers don't want to pay money for additional air time. Its hard for me. Football (american) has a tie. Basketball has a tie. Baseball can go all hours. 

For me, give me 10 minutes of 4-4. 5 minutes, the teams can play safe. 10 minutes, one team is going to want to finish so they can go get dinner. 

but GOD this team sucks at the shoutout

Yep.  I'm glad they managed a point against the Blues, especially since Columbus picked up a point against Colorado.  But I turned off the game tonight after overtime ended without a goal.  I knew what would happen going to the shootout.  Came back a few minutes later, checked the score, and was not disappointed.  I sure hope for the Flyers sake they do away with this shootout at some point.  They haven't, don't, and never will benefit from it.  It's a ridiculous ploy to attract the masses to the game, anyway.  Hate it.  And not just because the Flyers suck at it.

He'll, they can start with ten minutes for a try.

How anyone expects anything to happen in five is beyond me. It's anmiraclenit ever does!

Shoot out sucks and not saying that because out guys suck at it... Though they do. They really really do.

So much so that it's a factor in playoff seeding now. They have to address it in the off season because it's costing them playoff position and maybe a spot. They need to get to .500 in the shoutout. I hate it. It sucks but it's true. They've lost five points this year by not being at least a .500 shoot out team. That's huge in a tight season like this.

One full length OT period, 5v5, sudden death. Tie if no winner, split two points. Losers get zero, winners get two points.

but GOD this team sucks at the shoutout

The Flyers are good at Hockey.  The [censored] just ain't Hockey. 

I'd like to kick whoever first brought such a travesty up right in the taint.

I was told two things last night that were simply bizarro world delusion to me:

1) The shootout is hockey in its purest form.

Bullshit. First, that belief requires just a horrible definition of hockey and quite possibly a crap definition of "pure."

Hockey is A TEAM sport. A situation where the entire team is sitting on the bench with no more of a role than the lady chomping on a pretzel in row 12 CANNOT be be hockey in its purest form. Hockey is teammates out working and out positioning their opponent through teamwork and passing, etc. Who the hell is someone passing to on a shootout? Who is working together in concert?

Like the shootout or don't but don't give me this purest form bullshit. It's simply mind-numbing and actually pisses me off.

2) I found out that the shootout is the SAME as overtime because both are four guys on four guys.

This is sheer idiocy and simply aggravating. I have zero respect or tolerance for an opinion that equates 4 guys (plus a goalie... The simple math doesn't even work) working TOGETHER on the ice with passing and hitting and full on ice rules as far as offsides, icings and penalties to players ONE AT A TIME going on a goalie, no one to pass to, no one to beat along the way, all rules out the window except "don't stop" (and that seems to be optional). I'm sorry, but the statement that these two things are the same makes my head hurt because it's so utterly delusional.

Again, like the shootout or don't but let's keep it to reality. If you really think a game should be ended with a skills competition to avoid a tie at all costs. Fine. But just be honest about it and cut the purest form crap and trying to equate it to something that isn't IN ANY WAY COMPARABLE.

Yeah they are both on ice, which makes them both EXACTLY like iced tea.

Mind numbing

[/rant]

The Flyers are good at Hockey. The [censored] just ain't Hockey.

I'd like to kick whoever first brought such a travesty up right in the taint.

You know what really sucks?

That the Flyers are so horrible at the shootout. Not because I give a crap about the shootout but because I truly HATE the shootout and everything about it on principle but everytime I get into a discussion about it, some ####ing imbecile has to tell me it's just because my team sucks at it.

That's bullshit.

I don't care if the Flyers were undefeated in them. It wouldn't change the fact that the whole thing for me is an abortion. I am utterly disgusted by it in games that have nothing whatsoever to do with the Flyers.

I hate everything about it. I hate the thing itself. I hate the three point game that has resulted from it. I hate that it's cheapened the penalty shot as a "hurry, come watch!" event. I hate that a team game that has so much beauty as an ebb and flow of people working together is reduced to just one guy taking 20 minutes to go from center ice to the crease. It's an utter snooze fest for me because the whole thing is contrived. Yeah, I'm pretty much screaming through the keyboard this morning but this subject..

When people tell me it's pure hockey, it's just like OT, and I disagree just because the Flyers suck at it ALL in the same damn conversation...

Sigh. I hate the shootout