The Downie Difference

hf101

With Downie, the Flyers are an impressive 31-13-5; without the rough and tough Downie, Philly is a daunting 8-17-4. 

Since the Olympic break Couturier registered seven points with a plus-four rating while playing with Downie. Without Downie, Couturier has just a single assist and a minus-three rating.  Read has had 4 goals and 4 assists also since the break, and with McGinn Read has 1 goal and is a minus-three.

“On the breakout, he’s willing to take the hit to make that pass or make that play and he gives you an extra second or two to skate,” explained Couturier. “He’s been a big part of the success of our line.”

The often injured 27 year old will be a Free Agent come July.  Should Holmgren sign him to a new contract?

I don't know about a new contract (depends what he wants) but I hope he's back in the lineup tonight because Downie's impact is obvious; he makes that line go.

I know... when you see him lose battles, make hurried passes, etc. it's hard to acknowledge his contribution. No question his game has been less-than-inspired sometimes (maybe his injuries?). But he's been Couturier's best friend on the ice. Read's too.

He's certainly not irreplaceable - far from it. But as far as this year is concerned, the POs...Downie has got to get back in the lineup.

With Downie, the Flyers are an impressive 31-13-5; without the rough and tough Downie, Philly is a daunting 8-17-4.

Since the Olympic break Couturier registered seven points with a plus-four rating while playing with Downie. Without Downie, Couturier has just a single assist and a minus-three rating. Read has had 4 goals and 4 assists also since the break, and with McGinn Read has 1 goal and is a minus-three.

“On the breakout, he’s willing to take the hit to make that pass or make that play and he gives you an extra second or two to skate,” explained Couturier. “He’s been a big part of the success of our line.”

The often injured 27 year old will be a Free Agent come July. Should Holmgren sign him to a new contract?

I don't give him a taco bell coupon. They replaced Downie with an AHLer who can't skate. And there is surprise there is a drop off for the other line mates? Let Downie go over the summer and get a winger who can play and isn't an idiot.

• Like 1

@ruxpin  The Flyers could do a lot better with that winger slot. I've grown tired of worrying when this ticking time bomb is going to go off. Let him be someone else's problem. With Downie gone, the team becomes faster also. He barely gets by with his skating, if he's just a bit tired or injured his skating becomes an issue.....and yeah, for a guy whose game involves puck possession, he gives the puck away an awful lot. He is also falling more than Hartnell of late, which I thought was impossible.

I don't give him a taco bell coupon. They replaced Downie with an AHLer who can't skate. And there is surprise there is a drop off for the other line mates? Let Downie go over the summer and get a winger who can play and isn't an idiot.

Sorry HF but I laughes out loud when I read the title of the thread...  No way I want Downie back and I could care less where he goes...

But then again, some on here will argue that Downie single handedly turned around the season :ph34r:

Edited by murraycraven

And that's really telling, because Taco Bell is easily the worst fast food joint around. I don't even want to know what their "meat" is made of.

And that's really telling, because Taco Bell is easily the worst fast food joint around. I don't even want to know what their "meat" is made of.

LOL glad someone picked up on why I deliberately chose taco bell

When he first came back, last fall, he was an immediate catalyst for the team. He was playing very well... from most perspectives. Then he got into the fight and got concussed. Since then, he's been a bit hit or miss. I think you can add about 2 more concussions since then now... 

He had, lately, seemed to be playing better, maybe coming out of the concussion fog. But, it will be interesting to see what happens when he comes back from this one. If he can show that he's not suffering ill effects of multiple concussions, I'd like to see him back. It seems doubtful that he will for many reasons. $$$ is probably #1. 

Well, Downie got concussed in his very first Flyers game. A 0-7 loss to the Caps.

He was decent when he first came back from that, but he's been an utter cluster for awhile. A healthy scratch for some games - - with good reason IMO - - and a horrible turn over machine, out of position, and utterly stupid decision making when in. Maybe it's concussion. Maybe he's not happy here. Maybe he's not very bright. I don't know. But I really hope he's done as a Flyer this off-season.

And with the cap going up they may use money as an excuse but that won't be the reason

• Like 1

LOL glad someone picked up on why I deliberately chose taco bell

I can't comprehend why people over a certain age eat it. HS and college aged kids I get. No money or standards.

I always thought Taco Bell's meat looked like the inside of a baby's diaper. No fast foot is good for you, but they are notoriously the bottom of the barrel. I can't grasp why they are still in business.

I can't comprehend why people over a certain age eat it. HS and college aged kids I get. No money or standards.

I always thought Taco Bell's meat looked like the inside of a baby's diaper. No fast foot is good for you, but they are notoriously the bottom of the barrel. I can't grasp why they are still in business.

Agreed all around.  I'll take it over Cracker Barrel, though.  I cannot stand Cracker Barrel.  Also can't stand the typical people eating there.

I don't mind the guy. I feel like Rinaldo takes dumber penalties. But Steve's head is an area of concern for me at this point.

Since the Olympic break Couturier registered seven points with a plus-four rating while playing with Downie. Without Downie, Couturier has just a single assist and a minus-three rating. Read has had 4 goals and 4 assists also since the break, and with McGinn Read has 1 goal and is a minus-three.

The often injured 27 year old will be a Free Agent come July. Should Holmgren sign him to a new contract?

I don't mind the guy. I feel like Rinaldo takes dumber penalties. But Steve's head is an area of concern for me at this point.

Played 16 mins tonight in his first game back. Was very noticeable in the 1st period (while still slow, made decent plays). For the game, he was negligible, but did his job. I don't think he is the powder cake he used to be. Seriously, you need to put it into perspective. Simmonds plays 16.4 mins a game, has 106 pims and is a -5, yet there is discussion for 2nd on team mvp. Downie plays 13.3 mins a game and has 70 pims and is a -1. I am not saying that downie is up for MVP, but just trying to illustrate that he is not the sloth that many make him out to be (cough cough up some teddy fur balls- um that does not sound exactly right, edit later). He serves a role and a purpose. To say he is not worth a bag of pucks is a bit egregious to me.

Edited by Vanflyer

Lol, who would that be? Old people and families? I've actually never been to one.

First of all, if you ordered a glass water there I swear it would be deep fried and smothered in gravy.

It's just Paula Deen-type food I can't stand.  Also, "homestyle" is not an attraction to me.  My wife and I cook really well so if I want "homestyle," I'll stay the hell home.  When I go out I want something that is a pain to make at home or because I like the ambiance.  I don't need dead deer and bears hanging from the wall and pictures of dads marrying daughters.

I won't go into explaining the "typical" people since there are apparently some on the site that go.   I'll just say that of the ones I've been to, most eat early so they can go home and change the tires on their house.