Round 1 - Penguins vs Blue Jackets

hf101

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the first round series?

Consider this a general discussion thread for the Penguins vs Blue Jackets in Round 1

Regular season series (Penguins lead 5-0-0)
Nov 1, 2013 Columbus 2, Pittsburgh 4
Nov 2, 2013 Pittsburgh 3, Columbus 0
Dec 9, 2013 Columbus 1, Pittsburgh 2
Dec 29, 2013 Pittsburgh 5, Columbus 3
Mar 28, 2014 Pittsburgh 2, Columbus 1

Your thoughts on the series...

I think Columbus size and Bobs will win out in 7. Pitts has the overwhelming skill, but I really like the Columbus team. Pitts was on cruise control last 20. 

Given it is neighboring cities (more so than Pitts - Philly), I think if Columbus can steal one in Pitts, bobs and the boys will do it in 7. 

It's interesting to me to see the vote here. A team that couldn't win a single game against their opponent, that barely made it into the playoffs as a wild card, and with very limited playoff experience given a 41% favorable vote to win it in a 7 game series?

How much is analysis, and how much is just hoping against the Pens? Lol

Mine is largely based on fleury.

I'm cheering for the Pens because I want to play them in the second round. This is largely for entertainment purposes since I think Pittsburgh would win a second round series over Philly. I think Philly would win a first round series but with a round under its belt, confidence in fleury, and momentum, it would be Pittsburgh winning a second round match up.

I just wouldn't put money on Fleury in the first round.

Mine is largely based on fleury.

I'm cheering for the Pens because I want to play them in the second round. This is largely for entertainment purposes since I think Pittsburgh would win a second round series over Philly. I think Philly would win a first round series but with a round under its belt, confidence in fleury, and momentum, it would be Pittsburgh winning a second round match up.

I just wouldn't put money on Fleury in the first round.

He did pretty well last night.  Didn't steal the game, but didn't give it away either.  Made some big saves, and didn't let anything soft get by.  I can't ask for much more.  

He did pretty well last night. Didn't steal the game, but didn't give it away either. Made some big saves, and didn't let anything soft get by. I can't ask for much more.

Four goals but I didn't see anything to blame on him. I thought he played pretty well, actually. I remarked about that several times in chat.

If he plays like that and the Pens either tighten up a bit they should do good things.

It's interesting to me to see the vote here. A team that couldn't win a single game against their opponent, that barely made it into the playoffs as a wild card, and with very limited playoff experience given a 41% favorable vote to win it in a 7 game series?

How much is analysis, and how much is just hoping against the Pens? Lol

A bit extreme don't you think? Also, given the first game, I think you can see why 41% think that way. If Bobs plays better and CBJ doesn't get the jitters in the 2nd / 3rd, they win that first game. 

A bit extreme don't you think? Also, given the first game, I think you can see why 41% think that way. If Bobs plays better and CBJ doesn't get the jitters in the 2nd / 3rd, they win that first game. 

Not extreme at all.  Washington has two more wins and Columbus is at home instead.  Given the first game I didn't see anything to worry about from CBJ.  Bobs can't really play better.  He made some great saves.  The Pens also missed the net alot, and caught two or three posts on wide open nets.  As I said the Pens started slowly, and Letang's gaffe at the blue line resulted in a shortie.  The second half of the game was mostly Pens, and the Jackets didn't have jitters, they were just outmatched.  As this series will be the entire time.  I just hope the Pens don't start as slowly next game.  They need to get their momentum going.  

As I said the Pens started slowly, and Letang's gaffe at the blue line resulted in a shortie.  The second half of the game was mostly Pens, and the Jackets didn't have jitters, they were just outmatched.  As this series will be the entire time.  I just hope the Pens don't start as slowly next game.  They need to get their momentum going.  

I think columbus did have some jitters after Pitts put the gas pedal down. Also, there was at least one goal that Bob would like back (probably could say the same for Fleury). Pitts is the better team, but I don't think its going to be a route of a series. Meanwhile, I do think the NYR-Flyers will be. Calling a spade a spade. 

I love Columbus this is a learning experience for a team on the way up, but WOW is Pittsburgh laying it on them.

Yeah. Just toying at this point. Agree about the up and coming; they're just clearly not there yet.

@ruxpin

The Pens quit playing really after the 3rd goal.  The game winning goal was a toss up on which forward was standing still watching Calvert take three shots in a row on goal from two feet away while Fleury was down.  Stempniak and Jokinen were both within a stick reach and both stood still watching the shots get taken.  They just up and stopped playing hockey.  *shrugs*  

I'm hoping it's a good thing.  Last season the team coasted into the ECF and weren't ready to play Boston till they were down 2-0.  I'm hoping this loss was a wakeup call about effort and not laying off the gas whether you're up 2 goals or not.  

I was watching but not real closely. What changed?

Well let's see:

1) They stopped trying to get the puck deep and work, instead trying to skate around everyone in the neutral zone and at the blue line.

2) They played perimeter PP's, and continually tried to make cross crease passes, which continued to get intercepted and cleared.

3) Defensively, too many defenders trying to skate around the forecheck instead of making the simple off he glass clear.

Basically, they got lazy, and figured that Columbus would lay down.  

Oh, and the musical lines for DFG.  I know that Gibbons went down after the second.  But Vitale with Crosby? Really?

On the GWer. ... wow. I don't want to make too much of it - breakdowns happen all the time... but in OT #2 you let Atkinson waltz into the slot like that and nobody picks him up?

Great work by Dubie behind the net - finds wide-open Atkinson. Good save by Fleury - kicks it right to Calvert but you can't hang the loss on him. ... just too soft in OT - both of them. You get 2 PPs in OT you really should walk out with the win.