Round 1 - Blues vs Blackhawks

hf101

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will will this first round series?

Steve Ott is going to be hell on wheels tomorrow.  Expect him to nail anything that moves dressed with an Injun on their shirt.  

You are an interesting dude. Why do you just focus on the ex-sabres? Ott is a decent player. But he regularly takes himself out of the play. As for hits, while he is leading the blues in hits, I would not say he is going to "nail anything that movies with a Blackhawk shirt (the injun comment was a bit reckless in my mind- particularly since the Sabres coach is Native American Indian)". Ott is getting 35 shifts a game and averages 5 hits in those 35 shifts (so 1 out of every 7 shifts he makes ONE hit). 

Why do you just focus on the ex-sabres?

That is the Million dollar question?

Once the Blue are eliminated, expect Junkie to focus on the Wild with Pomminville and Moulson. He could also default to the Habs because of Vanek  but I think he still considers Briere "greedy".

Expect him to nail anything that moves dressed with an Injun on their shirt.  

I am sure its my eyes, but did I see that ott had only 3 hits the entire game. 16 minutes of ice time.  In 35 shifts he could only hit three players (keep in mind the game was in St Louis and its St Louis score keeper- which tend to be generous towards the home team). 

Your prognostication skills are superb! 

So I guess the defensive meltdown on that tying goal was Miller's fault? 

Miller is not horrible. He is just not the stud / elite goalie you make him out to be. He is not losing the games for St Louis, but he is also not winning them. His stats are quite pedestrian (another .900 sv pctg night for him). 

I think its awesome to love and support your team and follow the players when they move on from your team. You obviously love hockey, and perhaps anything Buffalo more. All cool and to each their own. But you are missing ALLOT of great hockey by just focusing on the players you know and like. Broaden your horizon a bit and enjoy the sunshine. Just a suggestion. 

Just curious why you are not touting anything about Vanek? 

It sickens me to see him in a Montreal uniform.

You hate Montreal that much?? I could see it if it was the Laffs, but where does the disdain for Montreal come from. 

I think it depends how far Montreal goes in the playoffs. Montreal is a very hard city to play in because of the microscopic scrutiny by the fan base. Vanek might not have a desire for that. 

As for Colorado, don't hate them. Hate Marcel who screwed the pooch financially with the Nordiques. Thats kind of like saying you hate the current incarnation of the Winnipeg Jets. Colorado is a great hockey place. (born there and played for CC). Also, Colorado won another cup all on their own a few years later after the first. 

Wow. The Blues Gotta be sick to their stomachs now. Miller to the Blues for a first round knockout and now he is an UFA. Good luck Hitch.

LOL LOL LOL LOL.

I just still think the goalie shuffle was stupid. It wasn't their problem last year nor this year. They really needed more on the front end not a goalie change.

Dumb GM

• Like 2

As indicated in the "what was the point" thread... the Blues should've stuck with Elliot and Halak and gotten more scoring.

Completely agreed. Never saw st Louis as a Miller destination because it made no sense to me. It still doesn't.

Completely agreed. Never saw st Louis as a Miller destination because it made no sense to me. It still doesn't.

Do you think Elliot will stay around either.  They obviously don't have faith in him, and he probably wants to be a start somewhere, and has numbers that say he can.

Do you think Elliot will stay around either. They obviously don't have faith in him, and he probably wants to be a start somewhere, and has numbers that say he can.

I don't know. I wouldn't think so. They pretty much have insulted him twice now.

If it were me I'd see what options are available. Staying would be a tough pill to swallow at this point.

Congratulations to @Chicago Hawkie 's Blackhawks.

Hopefully, the Minnesota Wild can pull off two wins in a row and meet those very same Blackhawks for a rematch of last years playoff series.

If Minny can do that, I think Chicago will find a MUCH more game Wild team to play against this go-round!

St. Louis Blues? Oh so close, yet so far....some questions regarding goaltending to answer in the off season and perhaps look into adding another offensive type player to their ranks, but still, they should be back as a legitimate playoff contender next season.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

TFG

I was with you until the last part. Just my opinion (clearly) but St Louis has never been a legitimate playoff contender. They will forever be a pretender like the capitals (and the Flyers, if we're being painfully honest) until accidentally proven otherwise.

Never a bad idea to bet against any of them.

TFG

I was with you until the last part. Just my opinion (clearly) but St Louis has never been a legitimate playoff contender. They will forever be a pretender like the capitals (and the Flyers, if we're being painfully honest) until accidentally proven otherwise.

Never a bad idea to bet against any of them.

Big disagreement there.

Now, let's not confuse "playoff contender" with "Stanley Cup contender", as those are two very different things.

The Blues absolutely can return to the post season. Thus playoff contenders.

Now, if you say they aren't legit Stanley Cup contenders, there is a valid argument there. THAT they will need to prove and haven't done so the last three (counting this one) playoff seasons.

To compare the Blues to the Caps seems a bit absurd to me. Very different dynamics at work there, very different organizations, with differing issues....many of which are very fixable the way things stand in St. Louis, while the Caps have LOTS of 're-arranging' to do.

Not even close to the same situations in Cappie Land and Bluesy Land.

Blues, barring major regressions by many of their players should be right back in the post season in an always tough Western Conference, while the Capitals would do well to even find a team identity first.

Unlike some on this board and many others on other boards, I DO NOT place St. Louis amongst the highest echelons of teams competing in the playoffs, but for sure, I do believe they play a very good, tough, defensive style very much geared towards the post season that obviously still needs tweaking to get by some of the NHL's best.

Losing twice to the Kings and now to the Blackhawks isn't as damning as losing to some one hit wonder team. Chicago and Los Angeles field very good teams whom the Blues had the misfortune to match up against early on in the playoffs the last few times.

They have also shown some weakness, particularly this season, to really fast moving teams with real good snipers...such as Chicago, Anaheim, and even the Caps too.

If the team can address that, while still maintaining their defense, they can possibly move past what they are now, which is a good defensive, plug it up, smothering team with some scoring.

Will that be enough to bring them a Stanley Cup? Who knows...perhaps...but it most certainly keeps them in the playoff picture.

TFG

Good point regarding playoff contender vs Stanley Cup contender.

I guess I assumed we were talking about doing anything of value once they got there.. In which case I stand on what I said. As you apparently meant it, sure. But that means nothing of consequence to me. That simply means they might be scenery in someone else's Stanley Cup video.

But the rest of it you're talking current circumstances (which you describe accurately) .

I'm talking the history and genetic make up of both franchises, in which case I'm very confident in my comparison. Both have a history of ebbs and crescendos in regular season success but always ultimately with fundamental flaws. One can realistically put the Flyers in that category as well but at least they do have two (they rode dinosaurs in their parades).

Until they actually win something it's an easy win in a bet against them.

Yeah, the Blues will likely be in the playoffs next year. Even money says the Caps are not. So in micro there is a difference. But the Blues will lose early guaranteed. So other than a couple gate receipts, where is the difference?

Well, for what it's worth, since the Blues and the Wild are now division rivals (NHL at least got THAT right by putting Minnesota in with natural rivals), if Minny has ANYTHING to say about it, they will KEEP the Blues from becoming full blown contenders.. ;)

Minnesota looks like a franchise on the rise with not only some good players on the team now that can get better, but some in the minors as well and they seem to be able to scout and develop well enough to continue that trend for the forseeable future.

So with that in mind, from my 'fan's viewpoint', Minnesota can help contribute to keeping the Blues from taking it all....that goes for Chicago too... :D

That's why I would LOVE to see a Minnesota-Chicago Semi Finals: I want to know how the Wild stack up against the Hawks. Minny has NOT figured out the Blues as St. Louis had pretty much run over the Wild during the season, but if Minnesota can figure it out before the Blues do, then sure, St. Louis can be that team that makes the post season, gets a couple extra home gates, then makes their exit for all I care.....with some help from the State of Hockey!

I don't know if this year is Minny's year, but I think they're definitely a team on the rise. They don't yet have a history that suggests they are doomed before they try, either.

It also helps that they seem to be the vogue destination for free agents.

They seem like as good as they are now that they will only get better (barring chemistry issues from too many free agents.. That would be my only concern going forward).

Like you said, they have some good kids in the system too so I like the team's future.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Thanks!  :D   I would also like to see Minny-Chicago.  It would be a rematch of last year's first round and it will be an easier travel time for the Hawks.  It won't be an easy series for the Hawks, though ... the Avs are a scary team yet you're going to Game 7.

I hope that if our teams match up, it will be a well-played series and the Hawks can stay out of the box.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Thanks!  :D   I would also like to see Minny-Chicago.  It would be a rematch of last year's first round and it will be an easier travel time for the Hawks.  It won't be an easy series for the Hawks, though ... the Avs are a scary team yet you're going to Game 7.

I hope that if our teams match up, it will be a well-played series and the Hawks can stay out of the box.

Can't say I am surprised the Hawks won the series, @Chicago Hawkie , however, the MANNER in which they did it...well, pretty damned impressive.

If anyone would have told me beforehand that not only do the Hawks do down 2 games, but come back and win four straight against this Blues team, I would have said, "Impossible"..even for the defending Champs.

But yet here they are....a testament that the Hawks were the real deal last season, any talks of Stanley Cup hangovers is greatly exaggerated, and that their players, coaches, and systems is still amongst the best in the NHL.

Over in California, the Kings are starting to prove the same thing....former champs, discounted by many, and there they are on even footing with a very good Sharks team after being down by 3 games.

Of course, the Kings have yet to pull off the actual series win as Chicago has, but I think you get my point: Can't discount proven winners like recent former SC Champions.

It's why I think Boston is still dangerous (they have been all year), and I think even the Pens with some of their flaws are still dangerous to win it all. All still have their basic cores that won them a championship not so long ago and still have plenty to do it again.

MAN, would I love Minny to beat the Avs...tall order at the Soda Can, I know...but still doable.

Minny is on the rise and the Chicago Blackhawks are STILL a good measuring stick in the Western Conference!