Game 4 - Mason will start

brelic

Just saw the tweets and post from NHL.com on this. Mason gets the nod for Game 4.

Let's go MASE! 

It's about time.  I'm getting tired of watching the Rangers scoring all of their goals on the exact same freaking shot!

They bring the puck up the right side, pass left, pass further left to the trailing winger on the far side . . .goal! And repeat.

Mason will stop that nonsense.  Razor did his best, but he just has no lateral movement.

Of course, G needs to start scoring or it won't matter who is in net.

First time Mason starts in a playoff game in a long time (at home in Philly no less) after having an 'upper body' injury.

He could provide the spark that the Flyers need with a great save or two

I'm just hoping he tosses a good game and keeps them in it.

This is good.. give Emery more time to study shooter's tendencies.

Did you notice how he was healthy enough to play game three... But Berube didn't start him....

Never said it made emery bullet proof (and he obviously wasn't), just that it was a factor that warranted consideration (which the coach obviously thought it was).

And stuff.

That isn't counting these past 2 games in NY he was held pointless....eitherway 9 games 13 games it doesn't matter they have G's # or its in his head.

They said 13 the other night on the broadcast with Boucher asa guest...I assumed they knew what they were saying...I shouldn't expect the media to be right what I get for assuming. ;)

I was referring to the losing streak in NY. Not Girouxs points.

Did you notice how he was healthy enough to play game three... But Berube didn't start him....

Never said it made emery bullet proof (and he obviously wasn't), just that it was a factor that warranted consideration (which the coach obviously thought it was).

And stuff.

I did... then I remembered how you said that Coaches and players tell it exactly how it is to interviewers. 

I'm going with 5-2 Flyers.

Giroux with 1g, 2a.

Couturier with 2 goals.

Simmonds with a PPG.

Read with an EN.

Man, I hope you are right Brelic or it could be a tough morning on Saturday - hungover from the loss and Coaching lacrosse at 9am

I am going w/ a 3-2 win:

Hartnell, Read and Raffl w/ the EN

I did... then I remembered how you said that Coaches and players tell it exactly how it is to interviewers. 

We don't need "coaches and players tell it exactly..." because we see who Berube started in G3. His actions tell the story behind his thinking. And it supported what Aziz (and I) was saying.

Unfortunately Emery was not good (to be nice about it). In his defense it's hard to win games 1-0. Emery wasn't "the reason" they lost but no question about it he hurt the Flyers' chances to win.

So - feel free to gloat or brag or whatever - I ain't mad atcha! :)

We don't need "coaches and players tell it exactly..." because we see who Berube started in G3. His actions tell the story behind his thinking. And it supported what Aziz (and I) was saying.

Unfortunately Emery was not good (to be nice about it). In his defense it's hard to win games 1-0. Emery wasn't "the reason" they lost but no question about it he hurt the Flyers' chances to win.

So - feel free to gloat or brag or whatever - I ain't mad atcha! :)

It's all B.S. I think Mason is still not 100%, but he's reached 'close enough'. I'm guessing that's why he was backing up. I don't blame Emery for any of this really. Do I think Mason would play better? yes i do. Do I think the series result would be the same.... most likely. 

Going forward, though, I'll go back to what should be considered fact... Mason is the better goalie and, Ipso facto, gives us a better chance to win. Anyone who says anything different is entering a grey area of logic that I like to call... 'wrong'. 

Aziz is easy to agitate and he starts leaving his comfort zone when he can't back up his ludicrous statements with numbers. He can't do that here because Mason's are obviously better. So, he resorts to basically making **** up. That's all well and good, it's a fan forum FCOL, so have at it. However, for a guy who likes to 'attack'(my opinion) posters with stats, numbers and other 'scientific' reasoning... well... to me turnabout is fair play. 

• Like 1

I am going w/ a 3-2 win:

Hartnell, Read and Raffl w/ the EN

If that happens, it will be the most talked about story in playoff history: how the Rangers coach pulled his goalie in a 2-2 hockey game :P

• Like 1

Aziz is easy to agitate and he starts leaving his comfort zone when he can't back up his ludicrous statements with numbers. He can't do that here because Mason's are obviously better. So, he resorts to basically making **** up. That's all well and good, it's a fan forum FCOL, so have at it. However, for a guy who likes to 'attack'(my opinion) posters with stats, numbers and other 'scientific' reasoning... well... to me turnabout is fair play.

guess it's like they say "it's all in the eyes of the beholder" because honesty I don't see that at all. I don't know the guy, never met him so I have no interest in defending him so to speak. I'm just telling you the way I read his posts.

Mason is the better goalie and, Ipso facto, gives us a better chance to win. Anyone who says anything different is entering a grey area of logic that I like to call... 'wrong'.

Except it's not as simple as that when a recent injury is part of the picture...and if the guy has missed any significant time it complicates things further. The playoffs are about matchups and a goalie who's faced a team twice in 5 days is better prepared than a guy who hasn't seen them since...i don't remember when.

You don't believe that I know. Or are you saying Mason is so much better than Emery that Emery's experience doesn't count? I can respect that, it's an opinion I don't agree with but it's a valid opinion, the way you evaluate the 2 guys. Like I say I don't agree with it but of course that's only my opinion.

OTOH...totally dismissing Emery's experience in G1 and 2, as if it couldn't possibly matter in the least...well frankly you guys sounded silly doing that.

Emery wasn't good enough in G3, period. So there's no debate about tonight: Mason automatically gets the start if he's healthy and ready to play. He says he is so...let's hope he's right.

If that happens, it will be the most talked about story in playoff history: how the Rangers coach pulled his goalie in a 2-2 hockey game :P

Not necessarially Brel, Rags pull goalie down 2-1, Raffl makes it 3-1 only for the Rags to close it to 3-2 in the last few seconds... :D

Not necessarially Brel, Rags pull goalie down 2-1, Raffl makes it 3-1 only for the Rags to close it to 3-2 in the last few seconds... :D

damn! you guys are smart. I didn't even pick up on that when I read murray's comment. A 1-goal win with an ENer? That would be kinda strange.

And the[n] Pouly chimes in with a way to make it work. Nicely done!

[edit]

Edited by canoli

Sure, it's possible, but I doubt that's the scenario he had in his head. I'm going with simple oversight :)

guess it's like they say "it's all in the eyes of the beholder" because honesty I don't see that at all. I don't know the guy, never met him so I have no interest in defending him so to speak. I'm just telling you the way I read his posts.

Except it's not as simple as that when a recent injury is part of the picture...and if the guy has missed any significant time it complicates things further. The playoffs are about matchups and a goalie who's faced a team twice in 5 days is better prepared than a guy who hasn't seen them since...i don't remember when.

You don't believe that I know. Or are you saying Mason is so much better than Emery that Emery's experience doesn't count? I can respect that, it's an opinion I don't agree with but it's a valid opinion, the way you evaluate the 2 guys. Like I say I don't agree with it but of course that's only my opinion.

OTOH...totally dismissing Emery's experience in G1 and 2, as if it couldn't possibly matter in the least...well frankly you guys sounded silly doing that.

Emery wasn't good enough in G3, period. So there's no debate about tonight: Mason automatically gets the start if he's healthy and ready to play. He says he is so...let's hope he's right.

I don't totally dismiss Emery's experience in G1 and G2, but I do think it's been overstated by a few. I probably understated it more than I actually believe... for argument sake. ;)

As an aside... How much does it suck that we have to deal with the Rangers local broadcast for the entire series!? I really dislike that group... it's amazing how much just the play call can distort your perception of the game itself. 

How much does it suck that we have to deal with the Rangers local broadcast for the entire series!? I really dislike that group... it's amazing how much just the play call can distort your perception of the game itself.

Yeah it sucks alright - not because I think they're bad announcers - but I want to hear the Flyers' guys, especially for PO games. Sometimes I pause the t.v. to get the radio in-sync and then I listen to the Flyers' radio guys. Bundy is pretty good imo and the PbP guy is too.

But I like the Rangers' announcers. Sam Rosen, Joe Micheleti do a great job I think.

The rest of the crew is pretty bad though. Have you ever tried to watch their intermission? Holycrap it's bad. Al Trautwig? Zzzzzzzz. Ron Duguay??? How the hell that guy got a job on the air is beyond me. The Rangers intermission is even worse than the Devils intermission, trying to decipher Ken Daneyko...lol..at least the Devils have Deb Placey (something like that) who's pretty good-looking.

Yeah it sucks alright - not because I think they're bad announcers - but I want to hear the Flyers' guys, especially for PO games. Sometimes I pause the t.v. to get the radio in-sync and then I listen to the Flyers' radio guys. Bundy is pretty good imo and the PbP guy is too.

But I like the Rangers' announcers. Sam Rosen, Joe Micheleti do a great job I think.

The rest of the crew is pretty bad though. Have you ever tried to watch their intermission? Holycrap it's bad. Al Trautwig? Zzzzzzzz. Ron Duguay??? How the hell that guy got a job on the air is beyond me. The Rangers intermission is even worse than the Devils intermission, trying to decipher Ken Daneyko...lol..at least the Devils have Deb Placey (something like that) who's pretty good-looking.

John Gianetti(sp) is the worst. Thankfully they've limited his air time.