Flyers trying to move VLC?

brelic

I saw this link on another site and people were discussing it. Not sure how much credibility orangeandblackpack.com has, but hey, it's the kind of trade rumour I sooooo want to be true :)

Their website doesn't seem to be working, and they've posted the info on their FB site.

https://www.facebook.com/OrangeAndBlackPack/posts/779135035432151

Look, I hate to be 'That Guy', but per a source of mine, unconfirmed reports are that the Flyers are in trade talks with three teams involving Lecavalier. Yes, one of which are the Nashville Predators, and Philadelphia is insisting on stud defenseman Roman Josi in return.
These are UNCONFIRMED reports -- so, it's chatter along the League's grapevine. I don't ever rumor monger, but I refuse to answer any questions about my source. Take all of that as you will.

Anyway, there's a ray of hope :) If Hexy can undo that colossal mistake that was signing VLC, things will be looking up indeed!

Now if he can somehow undo the MacDonald signing too... 

and Philadelphia is insisting on stud defenseman Roman Josi in return

LOL Brelic... this made me laugh.  I always love when people have to qualify their "inside sources" 

Man I hope this is true but if the Flyers are expecting much of anything in return they are nuts...  If Hexy can at least just find a taker for VLC that would be a great start.  If he can get anything for him that would be better.... if he can manage to get a good return or better I would be impressed.

I think it is fair to say they will be looking to move VLC as there really is not spot on the Team for him.   Homer saved one of his his very best and last signings for VLC.

Edited by murraycraven

LOL!!  Man I hope this is true but if the Flyers are expecting much of anything in return they are nuts...

Yeah, I'm not seeing them getting any "stud defenseman" for VLC... And if I'm another team's GM and I hear the words "insisting on a stud defenseman" (or, indeed "insisting upon" at all) come across the line with regard to VLC, I'm hanging up the phone.

Yeah, I'm not seeing them getting any "stud defenseman" for VLC... And if I'm another team's GM and I hear the words "insisting on a stud defenseman" (or, indeed "insisting upon" at all) come across the line with regard to VLC, I'm hanging up the phone.

but rad.... these are "inside sources" so it must be true :ph34r:

LOL Brelic... this made me laugh.  I always love when people have to qualify their "inside sources" 

Man I hope this is true but if the Flyers are expecting much of anything in return they are nuts...  If Hexy can at least just find a taker for VLC that would be a great start.  If he can get anything for him that would be better.... if he can manage to get a good return or better I would be impressed.

I think it is fair to say they will be looking to move VLC as there really is not spot on the Team for him.   Homer saved one of his his very best and last signings for VLC.

Yeah, there is no way they're getting Josi for VLC straight up. It's not out of the realm of possibility if you include The Bad Schenn and and pick. 

That's how we roll - ship out our garbage for other people's treasure :)

Isn't that how all NHL14 trades work?

Yeah, there is no way they're getting Josi for VLC straight up. It's not out of the realm of possibility if you include The Bad Schenn and and pick. 

That's how we roll - ship out our garbage for other people's treasure :)

Isn't that how all NHL14 trades work?

LOL!!   The NHL14 made me crack up!

LOL!!   The NHL14 made me crack up!

:) I would find it hard to believe that any serious NHL conversation between two high level executives would include a Flyers rep INSISTING from a position of weakness that Josi be in a deal to help us clean up our mess. You remember the telephone game? I'm sure that any 'rumour' gets so distorted by the time it reaches us, or they are leaked that way on purpose.

But VLC in Nashville does make some sense. It does in St. Louis too. You can forget about Shattenkirk or Weber, but for lesser assets? Sure, why not? VLC did not fit in here, but it doesn't mean he won't fit in and contribute elsewhere.

PLEASE make it happen Hexy!

• Like 1

VLC did not fit in here, but it doesn't mean he won't fit in and contribute elsewhere.

He hasn't played a full season in five years and his goals/points have basically declined every year for the past six. (caveat, he did go from 67 to 70 points one season, and then 54-49-37 with the lockout clearly a shortened season outlier (in which he still didn't play a full season).

What makes anyone think that VLC is magically going to resurrect his career? I'm not saying he can't be an effective "Saku Koivu" type leadership and faceoffs guys.

Koivu made $2.5M last season and is a UFA. Not $4.5M signed for four more years.

:) I would find it hard to believe that any serious NHL conversation between two high level executives would include a Flyers rep INSISTING from a position of weakness that Josi be in a deal to help us clean up our mess. You remember the telephone game? I'm sure that any 'rumour' gets so distorted by the time it reaches us, or they are leaked that way on purpose.

But VLC in Nashville does make some sense. It does in St. Louis too. You can forget about Shattenkirk or Weber, but for lesser assets? Sure, why not? VLC did not fit in here, but it doesn't mean he won't fit in and contribute elsewhere.

PLEASE make it happen Hexy!

this,

I know @radoran is making valid points regarding production and games played both steadily declining, there is also a point at which the decline levels off and you have what you have.  And for a team that needs help offensively VLC isn't all bad.  He still has a pile driver shot and a big frame, when he's not hurt he can get to areas where he can get on the score sheet, plus he's a pretty classy guy to have around. A team like Nashville or Phoenix could certainly benefit from his presence, there are others but with his NMC they might be a tougher sell. The 'peg could use him, Edmonton, Calgary but those teams are straight rebuilding and i'm sure he'd veto those places.

He hasn't played a full season in five years and his goals/points have basically declined every year for the past six. (caveat, he did go from 67 to 70 points one season, and then 54-49-37 with the lockout clearly a shortened season outlier (in which he still didn't play a full season).

What makes anyone think that VLC is magically going to resurrect his career? I'm not saying he can't be an effective "Saku Koivu" type leadership and faceoffs guys.

Koivu made $2.5M last season and is a UFA. Not $4.5M signed for four more years.

I didn't say 'resurrect' though. I said "fit in" and "contribute", which is all anyone can reasonably expect. Leadership, faceoffs, PP goals, and sporadic offensive production as a 2nd line center. Lecavalier could reasonably be in contention for most centerman points in St. Louis (though I'm sure a Hitchcock would negatively affect his offensive game). Same thing in Nashville. Both those teams' top centermen had point totals in the 50s. They could use a boost, and VLC can provide some help.

He is in decline, no doubt. Accepting that this year was an 'off' year because of injuries and being shuffled around, he ended with 0.54 ppg, his lowest total in over a decade.

His last four seasons have been 0.85, 0.83, 0.77, 0.82.

Let's assume a healthy VLC with a defined role bumps up from 0.54 this season, but below 0.82. Say, 0.7. That still gives him 57 points over 82 games, just as good as Backes and Smith, the top guys in STL and NSH.

THe major question is whether or not he can play 82 games. It doesn't seem likely. 

there is also a point at which the decline levels off and you have what you have.

Which was my point about Saku Koivu.

Leadership and faceoffs are important parts of the game - crucial in many respects.

But they're not $4.5M for four more years crucial. They're more like $2.5M annually important.

He is in decline, no doubt. Accepting that this year was an 'off' year because of injuries and being shuffled around, he ended with 0.54 ppg, his lowest total in over a decade.

I would accept that, if he had played a full season in any of the last four years.

He hasn't. And there's no reason to think that will change.

I am NOT saying "he has no value" - I'm saying he doesn't have "insist on Roman Josi" value.

Roman Josi would be a huge pick up if this is true. I just can't see the Flyers being able to negotiate from a position of weakness. Time will tell though.

If there are three teams picking up the phone, it may not be all that weak of a position. A team like Nashville, as sad as it is to say, would see VLC as a BIG offensive addition. Don't think the return would be huge by itself, but they are so offensively starved, it might not take a ton of sweetening to get something real out of them.

To me, the implausibility comes from VLC's nmc.

• Like 1

I am NOT saying "he has no value" - I'm saying he doesn't have "insist on Roman Josi" value.

Agreed. 

As a side note, how is Nashville always finding these 2nd round gems??? Weber now Josi.

Do you think they know exactly what they're looking for when they draft defensemen, and can find those types? Or is it that their development program is that much better than ours? Or both? They seem to draft a lot of smooth skating types. We usually draft a lot of old school types.

Forget Weber or Josi. I think the biggest coup would be to poach their defensive scout.

• Like 3

Agreed. 

As a side note, how is Nashville always finding these 2nd round gems??? Weber now Josi.

Do you think they know exactly what they're looking for when they draft defensemen, and can find those types? Or is it that their development program is that much better than ours? Or both? They seem to draft a lot of smooth skating types. We usually draft a lot of old school types.

Forget Weber or Josi. I think the biggest coup would be to poach their defensive scout.

I think for some teams (Flyers) the "best player available" bias is towards a forward. For others (Nashville) it is a bias towards defenders.

That said, the Flyers that year to Sbisa in the first (over del Zotto and Carlson) and (this will shock you) had no second rounder... They traded it in 2007 to draft Kevin Marshall.

So, it's much easier to find gems in the second round when you actually have second round picks :D

@aziz

I can get on board with this, but noway do I see Josi coming to PHL unless they are sending a high pick and or a solid defensive prospect back. VLC may be willing to go to Nashville as they are a solid team, with a respectable fan base, an offense first coach, and he (VLC) may not like the thought of being 4th line center in Philly. 

Maybe the Flyers get Josi and send them VLC, Nick Luuko (huge :ph34r:  face on that one) and a 2nd.

I trade him for ANYTHING that gets rid of that contract...ANYTHING.  I'd take a pick, provided the other team takes the whole salary hit.  

Again, it's not the player per se, but the atrocious contract.  Freeing up the $4.5 million for FOUR years, is as--if not more-important than any return they get.  

• Like 1

Irishjim posted this somewhere saturday. Ain't gonna happen for reasons already mentioned. What GM trades their young Dman who is 23 and fresh off a season where he scored 13 goals???

The only guy I knew of stepped down this is just a rumor someone made up on a slow day just so there is something to talk about. And we're not even talking about swappi g youth for youth...we're talking youth for a slow 34r old center coming off a so so season and now may have back issues the duration he remains in the NHL. HAHAHAHAHA! NOT!

• Like 2

I'm just relieved that our gm isn't insisting our 2nd round pick has to be included in any trade going the other way.

I think for some teams (Flyers) the "best player available" bias is towards a forward. For others (Nashville) it is a bias towards defenders.

That said, the Flyers that year to Sbisa in the first (over del Zotto and Carlson) and (this will shock you) had no second rounder... They traded it in 2007 to draft Kevin Marshall.

So, it's much easier to find gems in the second round when you actually have second round picks :D

I only read the first page when I posted and was surprised there was no mention of 2nds....then there it was on page 2.

His name is "Homer"

Homer for President!

His first official act as President will be to trade Alaska for Greenland.

"What do you mean it's a barren frozen tundra? It has Green in the name. Check your facts. We don't need a new map."