B. Schenn

Samifan

It's "The Good Schenn" and "The Bad Schenn" - and the competition is knowing which one was which on a daily basis 

So which is which now?????????????

i'm confused Luke had more goals and finished +1 avg 17:21

Brayden only had 3 assist and was -2 avg 14:12

...which really is the bad Schenn.......we need to look at that again to clarify.  :ph34r:

If I read one more post about Laughton being ready to "step in" or supposing he will replace Schenn's scoring I'll do something self destructive to my domicile.

He has had One, 1, one ...great season as an overage player in major junior.

He had one very nice season stats wise, but 3 solid years as a shut down center. The largest hurdle a NHL rookie faces is play without the puck,  and Laughts has that down already. That's why I think some are projecting him as "ready". We shall see, but his smart 2 way play gives him a leg up.

@murraycraven @OccamsRazor @jammer2 @flyercanuck

I will tolerate not one word from you clowns after Schenn and a second gets traded for Z Chara or some other past his prime stiff and Schenn turns into Patrick Sharp or better (in this case worse.)... Not . One. Word. ;-)

I also do not mean to run Laughton down either, however, I remember a lot...A. Lot. of people ready to string Homer up after Laughton was picked because A, who was he ? and B, Olli Maata. It was not as bad as the howling after Morin was picked , but it was some howling.

So I am really not ready to count that Laughton chicken before it has hatched.

That's the point I want to get across. That and I hope he turns out to be a great NHL player.

I will tolerate not one word from you clowns after Schenn and a second gets traded for Z Chara or some other past his prime stiff and Schenn turns into Patrick Sharp or better (in this case worse.)... Not . One. Word. ;-)

@mojo1917- Chara is only 37 so he is still a year or two away from being a prime candidate for the Flyers. Look for a 6 year deal with a full NTC/NMC in 2016 :ph34r:  

• Like 1

@mojo1917

I admit I wanted Maatta. But Laughton has done a lot of right since that draft. It'll be 5 years before you'll be able to tell what the right choice was...right now Maatta has the upper hand.

I was OK with the Morin pick. That was a case of Homer swinging for the fences, and I don't have a problem with that once in awhile. Just don't make a habit of it. I think Morins size, skating and mean streak will get him into the NHL. How he develops over the next few years will determine if Homer hit a homer with him.

HAHA.........well i can't promise that...that isn't fair. Like said i wasn't standing on the soap box saying trade him it is more along the line of Kimmo coming back i know it's coming so i'm prepared for it. I was stating that i believe if he isn't signed by the draft i feel he may be traded it would me obviously they can't find common ground. 

So they'll just more him for assets....which is the nature of the beast.

So i'm prepared that when it rolls around and during the draft it is announced he has been traded i will expect it.

Now here is where/why i reserve my right to b!tch....like with JVR i was glad they traded him but not happy what the return was so hence my unhappiness so i felt i was just expressing it or conveying it.

So if he is moved then depending on the return....well will in turn effect my response. I'll give Hexy the benefit of the doubt he'll be a better GM than Homer time will tell. So fingers crossed.

But also like i stated above and agree with Meltzer i wouldn't pay him a dime more than Coots.

I really hope Schenn isn't moved. I think he's just scratching the surface of his potential and that this should be the year he really breaks out. He's been screwed over in terms of his development by the team consistently flipping him between center and wing, so I'm hoping that with Hextall on board, they leave Schenn in the center spot now and just let him play. No more moving him around to accommodate expired flavours. I know I'm aiming high here, but with Simmonds on one side and Hartnell on the other, I think it's very possible that you could see a 70+ point season out of Schenn. Some say he's not smart enough, but the puck seems to follow him around and he's got a knack for scoring in bunches. 

• Like 1

I really hope Schenn isn't moved. I think he's just scratching the surface of his potential and that this should be the year he really breaks out. He's been screwed over in terms of his development by the team consistently flipping him between center and wing, so I'm hoping that with Hextall on board, they leave Schenn in the center spot now and just let him play. No more moving him around to accommodate expired flavours. I know I'm aiming high here, but with Simmonds on one side and Hartnell on the other, I think it's very possible that you could see a 70+ point season out of Schenn. Some say he's not smart enough, but the puck seems to follow him around and he's got a knack for scoring in bunches. 

Absolutely leave him alone let him play all year at center and Hartnell-Schenn-Simmer is a nice 2nd line all they need to do is find G and Jake a LW. Everyone just needs to build on last years experience and just develop chemistry.

Mason finally gives them stability in net (something as a Flyer fan i've never experienced) we'll just go from there.

I still say with a healthy Mason the beat the Rangers.

But we'll never know.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Absolutely leave him alone let him play all year at center and Hartnell-Schenn-Simmer is a nice 2nd line all they need to do is find G and Jake a LW. Everyone just needs to build on last years experience and just develop chemistry.

Mason finally gives them stability in net (something as a Flyer fan i've never experienced) we'll just go from there.

I still say with a healthy Mason the beat the Rangers.

But we'll never know.

I've experienced it...I just can't remember it.

I think the assumption that he will replace scoring immediately may be flawed to a great degree, but the idea isn't that he'll replace scoring immediately.

It's that he needs the opportunity to play in order for us to find out what exactly we have on our hands here.

Otherwise we end up trading him like the kings had to trade Schenn and in turn we end up stunting his development.

Laughton needs to compete for a roster spot next camp.

If it's even close I think he should get one because you simply don't develop past a certain skill level playing in the AHL.

If he ain't close, let him develop as much as he can in the A.

4 the line time isn't going to help him much either unless you turn that 4th into an extra scoring line rather than an 8 min per game "energy" line.

Just a little nitpick here....he's put together one good and two pretty damn good seasons, and he's 19, not an overager.

That still doesn't hand him a spot on the Flyers.

I think the assumption that he will replace scoring immediately may be flawed to a great degree, but the idea isn't that he'll replace scoring immediately.

It's that he needs the opportunity to play in order for us to find out what exactly we have on our hands here.

Otherwise we end up trading him like the kings had to trade Schenn and in turn we end up stunting his development.

Laughton needs to compete for a roster spot next camp.

If it's even close I think he should get one because you simply don't develop past a certain skill level playing in the AHL.

If he ain't close, let him develop as much as he can in the A.

4 the line time isn't going to help him much either unless you turn that 4th into an extra scoring line rather than an 8 min per game "energy" line.

Just a little nitpick here....he's put together one good and two pretty damn good seasons, and he's 19, not an overager.

That still doesn't hand him a spot on the Flyers.

He won't replace anyone but he'll need the time in the pros to develop.

If he's going to be any good beyond mediocre the AHL won't help him for long and the 4th line for even less time.

A guy like that needs to be challenged and learn. There's only so much you can learn playing against mediocrity.

The AHL and 4th line development philosophy makes mediocre players out of high potential players.

He needs to be challenged and yes that includes failing.

If they can't move VLC but can't keep Schenn I say bring in Laughton and if he is even close to NHL level out of camp (we really don't know do we?) platoon him and VLC at C between line 2 and Line 4.

If he isn't ready at all, then screw it, he's not ready leave him with the phants. But if he's close, sending him down to "develop" will result in failure.

You can't get Better playing against inferior players in an inferior league.

Yes and he made 1st team center on the OHL Allstar team.

Which is very nice but still that was juniors and he needs some time in the AHL, i think it would be unfair to ask him to come in and replace Scehnn but i think he could come in and play 10 minutes a night on the 4th in a pinch.

But i want him playing 20-22 a night on the 1st line for the Phantoms.

That is what is right for his development.

The best thing that could/can happen is for them to go ahead and sign Brayden so everyone can relax cause i'm not sharing my Xanax with Mojo he'll have to get his own. :D

And for the record let it show that i don't want Brayden traded but i know it's a business and the more it drags on at some point Brayden will force Hexy's hand and if that continues up until the draft well...........gulp..........he could be playing in Winnipeg or Florida at the start of next season. It is the nature of the beast.

Edit: Also let me state that i think Brayden is on the cusp of a breakout year this upcoming year...all they need to do is for just one year leave him at center...not LW at center. Then we'll all know by the end of the year.

Some people would say the se about Laughton.

I still think Schenn needs another 2/3 of a year to settle into his game. I wouldn't trade him before that unless someone impossible with an absurd return like weber and half his salary is involved for some wacky reason.

And It's not the idea of trading anyone that bugs me. It's what we get ( or don't get) in return that bugs me.

We got good return for Richie and Carter. Our return for Riemer not so much yet (but he did get better later on).

@mojo1917- Chara is only 37 so he is still a year or two away from being a prime candidate for the Flyers. Look for a 6 year deal with a full NTC/NMC in 2016 :ph34r:

If he's going to be any good beyond mediocre the AHL won't help him for long and the 4th line for even less time.

It isn't going to hurt his development at all playing 20+ minutes a night on the 1st line verse guys his age. In fact it's the best thing for him. That is what the AHL is for he'll have plenty of guys there to his age on his team Stolarz, Liere, Cousins, Ghost and Hagg just to name a few.

He could make the 4th line out of camp but i'd prefer 20+ minutes in the A on the 1st instead of 10+ on the fourth in the NHL. He can always comeup later in the season when needed. But if he wins a job in the coaches eyes on the BIG club i would be ok with it.

Totally. If he's not good enough to play up here, then yes he needs that step, but if he's close I don't see the talent there helping him develop much. Though I see your point about conditioning. 82+ At pro intensity is a lot more grueling and a huge adjustment. Once or twice a year you might find a player who could handle it. Never something you'd count on. Good point

It isn't going to hurt his development at all playing 20+ minutes a night on the 1st line verse guys his age. In fact it's the best thing for him. That is what the AHL is for he'll have plenty of guys there to his age on his team Stolarz, Liere, Cousins, Ghost and Hagg just to name a few.

He could make the 4th line out of camp but i'd prefer 20+ minutes in the A on the 1st instead of 10+ on the fourth in the NHL. He can always comeup later in the season when needed. But if he wins a job in the coaches eyes on the BIG club i would be ok with it.

• Like 1

I still think Schenn needs another 2/3 of a year to settle into his game.

Time For Maloney To Make a Bold Move

I'm thinking Tippett might want a Brayden Scehnn for their 2nd line. 

Antoine Vermette is their #1 center and they are deep on the blueline so would this be an interesting trade partner for the Flyers....this article made me think....let me state to i'm not all for trading him but i would depending or what he wants money wise.

Here is the article to brainstorm..........

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/James-Tanner/Top-Pick-Should-Be-Coyotes-Priority---Time-For-Maloney-To-Make-a-Bold-Move/200/60225

So how about the Schenn brothers for Micheal Boedker and Connor Murphy and a 3rd rounder in 2014.

My first offer....Boedker is signed for the upcoming season and is a RFA after next season.

Gives them a LW that may prosper with G and Jake and is still young at 24.

Connor Murphy could compete with Alt and Ollie for a spot on the blueine.

Plus it would free up about a million between Boedker and Luke's contract and Flyers get younger at the same time.

Edited by OccamsRazor