B. Schenn

Samifan

Greetings:

Thanks for the posting. I can't say this is surprising. But I also wonder if this is for popular consumption. Deep down, I have to believe he is concerned with fixing the defense. But I am not a GM.

Best,

Howie

Smoke and Mirrors. 

"Number One Priority: Sign B. Schenn" translates to: enjoy Winnipeg F***er...... 

Man I still cannot get the Clarke GMing mentality out of my head. 

In all seriousness, I like that they are trying to retain younger players. Now let's see if there is a reasonable contract to be had.

Edited by Bertmega

Smoke and Mirrors. 

"Number One Priority: Sign B. Schenn translates to enjoy Winnipeg F***er...... "

Man I still cannot get the Clarke GMing mentality out of my head. 

In all seriousness, I like that they are trying to retain younger players. Now let's see if there is a reasonable contract to be had.

@Bertmega-Ha!

Its a subliminal messge to VLC."Vinnie, there is no chance of you centering the second line so how bout a trade to Nashville?"

Well, this can mean a few things. He likes Schenn and wants to keep him, or perhaps that he intends to dangle Schenn as a trading chip (In the same place as you, Bert). Having Schenn under contract for a reasonable amount makes him more attractive in a trade than  if you're just trading his rights. It also means that the team trading for him can't be poached on a qualifying offer.

Well, this can mean a few things. He likes Schenn and wants to keep him, or perhaps that he intends to dangle Schenn as a trading chip (In the same place as you, Bert). Having Schenn under contract for a reasonable amount makes him more attractive in a trade than  if you're just trading his rights. It also means that the team trading for him can't be poached on a qualifying offer.

Yes Hexy was part of the brain trust that was responsible for trading the "Best player not in the NHL" once so a contract dispute could force them to pull the trigger again.

I will venture so much as to say........if he isn't signed by the draft he can/could be move for players/prospects/picks or even to move up in the draft for someone the covet many options and let admit i believe he is more attractive in a trade than VLC.

Then you just insert VLC into Brayden 2nd line center spot or give Laughton every chance to take it or go out and sign another center.

There are many option available....the hardest thing i belive is moving VLC.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yes Hexy was part of the brain trust that was responsible for trading the "Best player not in the NHL" once so a contract dispute could force them to pull the trigger again.

This is the most interesting part of the whole B Schenn thing to me.   Were they really not all that high on Schenn or was it a move they (LA) made to improve the Team for a serious run to the Cup?

This is the most interesting part of the whole B Schenn thing to me.   Were they really not all that high on Schenn or was it a move they (LA) made to improve the Team for a serious run to the Cup?

Yes it does make it interesting...that is why my gut tells me at the draft has to be the imaginary deadline...and it being in Philly we know they like to make headlines...and VLC contract will be difficult to move.

If he's not signed just don't be shocked when you see a trade announced on the bottom of the ticker. He is one of the most valuable easiest pieces to move. Combined with a log jam at center Laughton waiting in the wing. Just to many thing one can't ignore.

So if he wants to stay with his brother he better come to terms quick and not let this drag into the draft.

Yes it does make it interesting...that is why my gut tells me at the draft has to be the imaginary deadline...and it being in Philly we know they like to make headlines...and VLC contract will be difficult to move.

If he's not signed just don't be shocked when you see a trade announced on the bottom of the ticker. He is one of the most valuable easiest pieces to move. Combined with a log jam at center Laughton waiting in the wing. Just to many thing one can't ignore.

So if he wants to stay with his brother he better come to terms quick and not let this drag into the draft.

I have been saying all along (ask Brelic!) that I do not believe B Schenn will be on the roster next year.  Nothing more than a gut feeling...

• Like 1

I have been saying all along (ask Brelic!) that I do not believe B Schenn will be on the roster next year.  Nothing more than a gut feeling...

I agree something tells me this too. That and combined with his inconsistency not effective at LW, contract dispute...needing blueline help, log jam at center it's just to many things in that favor....i have nothing against him...and me may end up being [productive like JVR with a change of scenery...who knows my gut say he is gone.

And of course if Hexy is a savvy business man he is going to say the right thing to keep leverage in this situation and he has up until this point.

• Like 1

If I read one more post about Laughton being ready to "step in" or supposing he will replace Schenn's scoring I'll do something self destructive to my domicile.

He has had One, 1, one ...great season as an overage player in major junior.

• Like 1

If I read one more post about Laughton being ready to "step in" or supposing he will replace Schenn's scoring I'll do something self destructive to my domicile.

Exactly exact.

Sounds like you need a Xnanax........

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh all better now?

Brayden maybe gone if they can't sign him. Maybe not. Laughton has really not much to do with it....it's more Vinny's (or Homer) fault it's the nature of the business. 

It could happen before the draft so hide the sharp objects now.

They made the move for a serious run to the Cup. Lombardi and Hextall were with the Flyers when they drafted Crater and Richards and adding a captain who had just been to the Cup Final was a bonus.

Just a little nitpick here....he's put together one good and two pretty damn good seasons, and he's 19, not an overager.

That still doesn't hand him a spot on the Flyers.

@murraycraven

Well Laughton can skate, so he's got that going for him. And he can think.

LOL! 

Not sure I agree w/ whomever suggested Laughton had one previous season that was good.   The kid has put up pretty damn good numbers in Jrs...  he is not the Schenn replacement but to say he had one good season is not giving the kid credit.

Not sure I agree w/ whomever suggested Laughton had one previous season that was good.   The kid has put up pretty damn good numbers in Jrs...  he is not the Schenn replacement but to say he had one good season is not giving the kid credit.

Yes and he made 1st team center on the OHL Allstar team.

Which is very nice but still that was juniors and he needs some time in the AHL, i think it would be unfair to ask him to come in and replace Scehnn but i think he could come in and play 10 minutes a night on the 4th in a pinch.

But i want him playing 20-22 a night on the 1st line for the Phantoms.

That is what is right for his development.

The best thing that could/can happen is for them to go ahead and sign Brayden so everyone can relax cause i'm not sharing my Xanax with Mojo he'll have to get his own. :D  

And for the record let it show that i don't want Brayden traded but i know it's a business and the more it drags on at some point Brayden will force Hexy's hand and if that continues up until the draft well...........gulp..........he could be playing in Winnipeg or Florida at the start of next season. It is the nature of the beast.

Edit: Also let me state that i think Brayden is on the cusp of a breakout year this upcoming year...all they need to do is for just one year leave him at center...not LW at center. Then we'll all know by the end of the year.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Interesting comments from Bill on a question about Brayden Schenn:

Bill,

What kind of deal do you see for Schenn. I think he might get a little more then Couturier got because of the offense he brings but I was thinking about something that kept his cap hit at around 2 - 2.5 million. Am I being to generous? Could they get him at something closer to 1.7

- J35Bacher

I would not pay him a cent more than Couturier, personally. Couturier plays tougher minutes against other teams' top lines, kills penalties and still is a double-digit scorer. Schenn's 20 goals were his entire value. 

So food for thought.

And i agree.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I would not pay him a cent more than Couturier, personally. Couturier plays tougher minutes against other teams' top lines, kills penalties and still is a double-digit scorer. Schenn's 20 goals were his entire value.

Completely agree... IMO Cooter is much more valuable to this Team:  Plays very tough minutes and is a great defensive forward.  Plays the PK and can score goals - I still think he will become more of a scorer as well.  Braden is a goal scorer and a slightly below average defesnive forward at best.  Jack of all things on offense but a master of none... decent speed, not great - good passer, not great - good shooter, not great, etc...

Edited by murraycraven

Completely agree... IMO Cooter is much more valuable to this Team:  Plays very tough minutes and is a great defensive forward.  Plays the PK and can score goals - I still think he will become more of a scorer as well.  Braden is a goal scorer and a slightly below average defesnive forward at best.  Jack of all things on offense but a master of none... decent speed, not great - good passer, not great - good shooter, not great, etc...

Yes and he could price himself out of Philly hard to say because we don't know his demands but i have to say Coots is way more valuable and no way should Brayden get more than him..no way.

Coots plays against the best night in and night out.

Berube even stated earlier he control things by putting Bryaden and Simmer and even Vinny when all together verse the weaker competition because they weren't as good in the own end.

And the Corsi stats bare that out.

Even the simplest least accurate +/- show it Coots played against the best and was +1 Brayden played against the weakest and was just even.

Like i said not the best stats but i'll find his Corsi numbers and post them too.

Coots Quality of Comp. (TOI%) 29.2% (4) that is 4th on the team out of 14 forwards

Brayden's  Quality of Comp. (TOI%) 27.9% (10) 10th on the team out of 14 forwards

Edited by OccamsRazor