Jim Rutherford announced as new Pens GM; Bylsma fired

brelic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454122

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Jim Rutherford is going to be announced as the new general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The former Carolina Hurricanes general manager will take the role in Pittsburgh that became vacant after the firing of Ray Shero on May 16.

Former head coach and television analyst Pierre McGuire was also reportedly a finalist for the position after having two interviews with the team.

Under Rutherford, the Hurricanes tallied a 534-486-156-20 regular season record, along with two trips to the Stanley Cup Final and the team's first Stanley Cup title in 2006.

Pierre LeBrun reported this week that Tampa Bay Lightning assistant general manager Julien BriseBois was another prime candidate for the Penguins' job.

Shero was fired last month after the team gave up a 3-1 series lead before being eliminated by the New York Rangers in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Whew, that was close.    God knows what we Pens fans would have had to endure if Pierre would have been named. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2014/06/06/Rutherford-could-be-tapped-for-Penguins-general-manager-post/stories/201406060201

I like it, he has some experience, 'burgh roots and is a general good guy.

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 1

A good choice by Mario.  Rutherford is a savvy hockey man.  He has his work cut out for him this summer.

More over, he has his work cut out for him in the next month.  He needs to make some quick decisions prior to FA, to see who he can shed, and who he can sign.   Will be interesting to watch the differences between him and Shero.

Good choice, he has done as well as can be expected with a small market team, it will be interesting to see how he does with a club with a payroll and the best player in the game. Good choice, glad to see they have him in place. Now the Bylsma watch is on............

Just read that Regis wanted a 5 year deal, and Pens wanted 3.....I haven't seen what Rutherford got.  

If Regis lost a GM position over length of contract negotiations, he's a LOT dumber that most of us thought.  

Just read that Regis wanted a 5 year deal, and Pens wanted 3.....I haven't seen what Rutherford got.  

If Regis lost a GM position over length of contract negotiations, he's a LOT dumber that most of us thought.  

Or a lot Smarter than we thought.   :P

Not with Tortorella tanned, rested and ready...

:ph34r:

Seriously - there was no way Bylsma came out of this still a head coach.

agreed!  He probably already has his office cleaned out.

so what are the odds that Torts becomes HC?

agreed!  He probably already has his office cleaned out.

so what are the odds that Torts becomes HC?

I don't know, but if he becomes head coach, I may poke my eyes out. NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Whew, that was close.    God knows what we Pens fans would have had to endure if Pierre would have been named. 

Its a great hire for the Pens. I appreciate that they did there due diligence in getting the right guy, but I in this rare instance I think they screwed the pooch. What I mean is that 99 times out of 100, you get your GM and then get your new coach. I think it was disingenuous of the pens organization to leave Blysma wafting in the wind while most knew he was gone.

Normally, you want to get your GM first and let him hire a new coach. In this instance, I think the Pens screwed up because if I was President, I would have gone immediately after Barry Trotz after firing Shero. I think any GM new hire would have zero qualms with "inheriting" a newly selected coach of Trotz stature instead of selecting their own. Trotz is the perfect coach for the Pens. 

As a Flyers fan, I am contented, because had they got Trotz, I could easily see more rings on the Pens fingers. That said, Rutherford is very astute and certainly find an adequate person to run the team behind the bench. 

Why the pens did not fire Blysma at the same time as Shero is beyond me. Its like his neck was 3/4 severed and just listing in the wind. Not a cool thing to do. 

I HATE this appointment.  Let me remind people why from last year's GM Challenge... 

"Rutherford has been mediocre at best. He made some good moves to run for the Cup, signing Doug Weight and Mark Recchi, with Brind'Amour and Staal having career years, and Ward playing off his rocker. He made moves though and improved his team... winning it all. However, he also missed the playoffs ten times now in the 15 he's been the GM? With three losing seasons as GM of the Whalers before then. He doesn't do anything amazing in trades, and has a so-so farm system, with only ONE prospect rated above a C ranking at Hockey's Future. They landed Jordan Staal because that's the only place he would play. And even with Shero's hands tied by it Rutherford gave up Sutter, Dumoulin, and the 8th overall... (Pouliot). So here we have an average to below average general manager."

The man lost in the GM Challenge to NONIS of Toronto.  That tells you what most of us were thinking of him then.  Suddenly he's a solid hockey guy?  Who happened to have bad luck, broken mirrors, or black cats that put together teams that missed the playoffs over 2/3 of his tenure?  NO thank you.  I would rather have had Pierre...  this sucks.  

The man lost in the GM Challenge to NONIS of Toronto.  That tells you what most of us were thinking of him then.  Suddenly he's a solid hockey guy?  Who happened to have bad luck, broken mirrors, or black cats that put together teams that missed the playoffs over 2/3 of his tenure?  NO thank you.  I would rather have had Pierre...  this sucks.  

1) What is the GM Challenge? 

2) Would you rather have Regis? 

3) At least Blysma is gone (so you can redirect your biotching to Rutherford....joking). 

It would really shake things up.... 

I think that might be even better than had Regis been named GM. Not only would us Flyers fans have a field day, but the volley's back and forth with the Pens fans who would have equal disdain for tortilini would just be too much fun. You have the the Trotz-Ovary show in washington and the Tortillini / Malkin-Crosby show in Pitts. Daytime drama could not get any better!!!

Edited by Vanflyer

I think that might be even better than had Regis been named GM. Not only would us Flyers fans have a field day, but the volley's back and forth with the Pens fans who would have equal disdain for tortilini would just be too much fun. You have the the Trotz-Ovary show in washington and the Tortillini / Malkin-Crosby show in Pitts. Daytime drama could not get any better!!!

lol, yep.  Well they still need a coach.   ;)

I HATE this appointment.  Let me remind people why from last year's GM Challenge... 

"Rutherford has been mediocre at best. He made some good moves to run for the Cup, signing Doug Weight and Mark Recchi, with Brind'Amour and Staal having career years, and Ward playing off his rocker. He made moves though and improved his team... winning it all. However, he also missed the playoffs ten times now in the 15 he's been the GM? With three losing seasons as GM of the Whalers before then. He doesn't do anything amazing in trades, and has a so-so farm system, with only ONE prospect rated above a C ranking at Hockey's Future. They landed Jordan Staal because that's the only place he would play. And even with Shero's hands tied by it Rutherford gave up Sutter, Dumoulin, and the 8th overall... (Pouliot). So here we have an average to below average general manager."

The blog from Puck Daddy   gave an interesting perspective on the hiring of Rutherford.  some of the comments:

What you don’t expect to hear: That the coach, Dan Bylsma, was fired based on “the information” given to the GM by ownership, which had decided that it “wants a complete change of direction,” according to Rutherford, who added, “I didn’t have several meetings with Dan to get to know him or get his side of the story.”

What you don’t expect to hear: That he’s essentially training his replacements. “What I will do is give them big roles and a lot to say and a lot of input in our final decisions,” said Rutherford.

Anyways PuckDaddy gives mention that training others was maybe part of Shero's shortcomings, and that Rutherford is probably is only there for a couple of years or so.