No takers on Vinny?

King Knut

So why not just roll him on the 4th?

Give him some young talent to play with (Akeson, etc) see what he cultivates.

Of course it all depends on Schenn sticking around, but if there is the talent on the team, why treat the 4th like a scrub line?

If they can put in some goals, why not let them?

Alternatively (and I've said this before) platoon him and Schenn/ Laughton back and forth between the 2nd and fourth.

Balance. Depth. The players are here, why waste our time with Rinaldo and "energy" bull? Depth wins series and cups. This year should prove that beyond a doubt.

Either way, this wing B.S. Is over right?

Not sure I would bounce Schenn like that and having 4th line center at that price tag is ludicrous. Meanwhile there is not space for Laughton if he should prove ready for the NHL...

No thanks to that plan...

Although I do think Rinaldo is a waste of a roster spot. Good sister but nothing more... Energy guys need skill these days

Edited by murraycraven

I don't want anything to do with him on the fourth line (or anywhere in Philly, for that matter) even for half of what he's making.

You want energy on the fourth line. He ain't it. It's like looking for a nutrition expert and getting Jeffrey Dahmer.

Second, what is he going to teach kids? How to NOT play defense? How to float for games at a time?

No thanks. Pay him to not play in Philly. I want nothing to do with him.

• Like 1

Good news, folks! Vinny is in play, according to Darren Dreger. 

http://www.thescore.com/news/518251

The Vincent Lecavalier era in Philadelphia might be short-lived, according to a report from TSN's Darren Dreger. 

Lecavalier was signed by the Philadelphia Flyers after the Tampa Bay Lightning used a compliance buyout on his long-term contract last summer, but he often struggled in his first season on Broad Street. Though the former Lightning star managed 20 goals, he was a liability at even-strength and found himself demoted to a fourth-line role for the postseason. 

Considering Lecavalier's atrophying two-way effectiveness and his sizable cap-hit, it's not exactly a huge surprise the Flyers have interest in trading the 34-year-old center. "The word on the street is that, yes, Vincent Lecavalier most definitely is in play," TSN's Darren Dreger said during a segment of Insider Trading on "Sportscentre" Wednesday night. 

Any deal involving Lecavalier is likely to prove complicated. The aging star is on a contract that carries a $4.5 million cap-hit through the 2017-18 season, a hefty figure that could necessitate a retained salary transaction. Also Lecavalier has a full no-movement clause per capgeek.com, so he'll have the right to hit send on any potential deal.

The Flyers have already began working with Lecavalier's camp to work out a resolution to this issue, Dreger reported. "[Lecavalier's] agent has already talked to [Flyers GM] Ron Hextall about the possibility of moving Vincent Lecavalier," Dreger said, adding that at the moment there's no "list" of potential destinations where Lecavalier would agree to be traded to.

Having a fourth line center at that price tag seems to be working okay for the Kings.

Just sayin'.

Not sure I would bounce Schenn like that and having 4th line center at that price tag is ludicrous. Meanwhile there is not space for Laughton if he should prove ready for the NHL...

No thanks to that plan...

Although I do think Rinaldo is a waste of a roster spot. Good sister but nothing more... Energy guys need skill these days

Having a fourth line center at that price tag seems to be working okay for the Kings.

Yeah but their 4th line center even slowed by age he damn good at defense and is a solid role players even though his speed has slipped.....Vinny just floats and just has a slapper.....and is slow and can't spell defense if his life depended on it. HUGE difference to me.

• Like 2

Just sayin'.

bad comparison and Richards could be bought out by the Kings in the offseason.   Richards is light years ahead of VLC on the defensive side of the puck.  When you have a 4th line playing over 12 minutes a game that pretty much shows how much faith Sutter has in that group.   VLC is not a 4th line player and his backchecking/defensive play is terrible.  No thanks...

Yeah Richards is more of a Coots or Primeau comparison at this point (though Primeau played on the first and 2nd lines most of his time here despite being so defensively oriented).

I was merely using the comparison salary wise (Richards costs more anyway). 

Putting VLC on the 4th and leaving him there or platooning him between 2nd and fourth was just more of a thought of rolling 3 scoring lines and Coots' third as a shut down.

I kind of despise having a Couts line AND a 4th "energy" line.  We have the talent in the organization.  why not just be a more full and better team?

This is all with the caveat that VLC didn't pan out as wing and the team isn't playing Laviolette's style of system anymore and Berube's tends to require more defensive responsibility than VLC is prepared to play.

In the end I think what I always thought, which is that getting Jagr back would have been better and cheaper and we wouldn't have to play against him again.

bad comparison and Richards could be bought out by the Kings in the offseason.   Richards is light years ahead of VLC on the defensive side of the puck.  When you have a 4th line playing over 12 minutes a game that pretty much shows how much faith Sutter has in that group.   VLC is not a 4th line player and his backchecking/defensive play is terrible.  No thanks...

• Like 1

Yeah but their 4th line center even slowed by age he damn good at defense and is a solid role players even though his speed has slipped.....Vinny just floats and just has a slapper.....and is slow and can't spell defense if his life depended on it. HUGE difference to me.

It's not even remotely comparable

Yeah Richards is more of a Coots or Primeau comparison at this point (though Primeau played on the first and 2nd lines most of his time here despite being so defensively oriented).

I was merely using the comparison salary wise (Richards costs more anyway).

Putting VLC on the 4th and leaving him there or platooning him between 2nd and fourth was just more of a thought of rolling 3 scoring lines and Coots' third as a shut down.

I kind of despise having a Couts line AND a 4th "energy" line. We have the talent in the organization. why not just be a more full and better team?

This is all with the caveat that VLC didn't pan out as wing and the team isn't playing Laviolette's style of system anymore and Berube's tends to require more defensive responsibility than VLC is prepared to play.

In the end I think what I always thought, which is that getting Jagr back would have been better and cheaper and we wouldn't have to play against him again.

Agree about Jagr. That was just a brain dead move letting him go.

Would you trade Vinny and AMac to Toronno for Phaneuf? 

Take on their bad long-term contract for taking ours.

At least Phaneuf is a legitimate top pairing guy that would help stabilize the defense until our young guys get their feet wet.

Plus, Elisha Cuthbert.

Good news, folks! Vinny is in play, according to Darren Dreger. 

http://www.thescore.com/news/518251

The Vincent Lecavalier era in Philadelphia might be short-lived, according to a report from TSN's Darren Dreger. 

Lecavalier was signed by the Philadelphia Flyers after the Tampa Bay Lightning used a compliance buyout on his long-term contract last summer, but he often struggled in his first season on Broad Street. Though the former Lightning star managed 20 goals, he was a liability at even-strength and found himself demoted to a fourth-line role for the postseason. 

Considering Lecavalier's atrophying two-way effectiveness and his sizable cap-hit, it's not exactly a huge surprise the Flyers have interest in trading the 34-year-old center. "The word on the street is that, yes, Vincent Lecavalier most definitely is in play," TSN's Darren Dreger said during a segment of Insider Trading on "Sportscentre" Wednesday night. 

Any deal involving Lecavalier is likely to prove complicated. The aging star is on a contract that carries a $4.5 million cap-hit through the 2017-18 season, a hefty figure that could necessitate a retained salary transaction. Also Lecavalier has a full no-movement clause per capgeek.com, so he'll have the right to hit send on any potential deal.

The Flyers have already began working with Lecavalier's camp to work out a resolution to this issue, Dreger reported. "[Lecavalier's] agent has already talked to [Flyers GM] Ron Hextall about the possibility of moving Vincent Lecavalier," Dreger said, adding that at the moment there's no "list" of potential destinations where Lecavalier would agree to be traded to.

I'll believe it when I see it. I saw someone post this article on Facebook the other day and my first thought is who is going to take him? If you can move him, by all means do it, but I just don't see a market for this guy.

If you are stuck with him, I'm completely on board with King Knut's idea of having him center the fourth line. I'm sick of fourth lines that are a waste of space. Do some creative or productive with that spot. You don't have to have guys that can't play on the fourth. Don't give me that "energy' crap either, that's just code for "We've got nothing better."

At least Phaneuf is a legitimate top pairing guy that would help stabilize the defense until our young guys get their feet wet.

Plus, Elisha Cuthbert.

That last part almost sealed the deal, but no thanks.

Elisha Cuthbert aside, no i would not.

Phaneuf's contract makes VLC and AMAC's look like bargains.  It's worse than Pronger's.  He's only 29 now, but he'll be under contract until 2021.  20 friggin 21.  that's 7 million per year until a year into next decade.

No way in hell do I take on that contract for any player. 

What's more... I think all the MacDonald Haters are going to be pleasantly surprised with the way in which the Defense overall plays better for having him around for a full season.  Like him or not (and I'm not sure why so many don't) he had a very positive effect on the way the Defense played down the stretch.  Even when they didn't win, the Defense just played more controlled and smarter and better all around.  They even started scoring more.   

The guy himself doesn't have to be pronger to and do it all himself to be a key piece to a puzzle taking shape.  I think he was a good addition and I'm glad they have him.  I don't think they overpaid.  Paying less would have been nice, but for a guy of that quality available at his age and moving to a better team?  It's a bit of a no brainer.

Plus, Elisha Cuthbert.

Edited by King Knut
  • Like 1

@ruxpin  Everyone called me crazy when I proposed that Jagr would/should re-sign another deal with the Flyers after his initial 1 year deal. In retrospect, it was indeed the right move. He would have been a perfect fit to come back for at least one more year!  Of course, I said that before he had ever played a game for the Flyers and there was a lot of nay sayers thinking he would be a bust after being away from the NHL for so long.

Everyone called me crazy when I proposed that Jagr would/should re-sign another deal with the Flyers after his initial 1 year deal.

Well honestly i didn't want either of them Jagr looked spent in the series versus the Devils and i just thought the money/spot could have gone to a younger free agent option.

But yes with hindsight now and knowing they instead chose Vinny yes without doubt then i would just have prefered to bring Jagr back.

@ruxpin  Everyone called me crazy when I proposed that Jagr would/should re-sign another deal with the Flyers after his initial 1 year deal. In retrospect, it was indeed the right move. He would have been a perfect fit to come back for at least one more year!  Of course, I said that before he had ever played a game for the Flyers and there was a lot of nay sayers thinking he would be a bust after being away from the NHL for so long.

I remember the melt down a lot of people had on another board that shall not be named when Jagr was first signed.  I actually wasn't one of them.  Sure, when I first saw the teaser on CSN prior to the evening news show, I was like "Sleeping with the Enemy!"  But by the time the commercial was over and they began with the terms I thought it was a great deal.  I, too, wanted them to resign him but wasn't really galvanized about how dumb a move it was NOT to until about a week or two into the following season.  At the time, I was a bit more irritated with their not signing Carle.

The year Jagr was here he had some injuries and I thought maybe he might continue with that proclivity since he wasn't getting any younger.  So, at first, I was okay that they didn't resign even though I thought *I* would have.  His absence was palpable very quickly the next season, though.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda 

• Like 1

IYou want energy on the fourth line. He ain't it. It's like looking for a nutrition expert and getting Jeffrey Dahmer.

LOL...very interesting choice of words.....  I agree with et al....get rid of him and cut our losses