Meltzer on the Umberger trade

caluso

I agree wholeheartedly with what Meltzer writes:

Nevertheless, this trade perplexes me a bit, unless it is the first of multiple moves. 

Umberger's cap hit ($4.6 million) is not that much lower than Hartnell's ($4.75 million) and his contract runs through 2016-17, so this trade cannot be characterized as one that has significant cap-related advantages. Hartnell and Umberger are both 32 years old. 

If the draft pick had been a higher one, I would have understood the benefit immediately. If Philly had gotten an extra second-round pick or some such, the deal could be explained as general manager Ron Hextall starting to collect assets. Umberger is strictly a third-line player, albeit a good one. The pick the Flyers got is a negligible additional asset in exchange for someone who has been a first-line left winger on the club and has been part of several successful line combinations over the years. 

Umberger is a definite upgrade over Steve Downie as a fit on the third line with Sean Couturier and Matt Read. He wins a lot of battles and usually plays a disciplined game, whereas Downie has rarely done the latter in his NHL and was not doing much of the former this past season. 

Now the big question: Who will be the Flyers new first line left winger? As of now, the job may go to Brayden Schenn, along with Hartnell's role on the top power play unit. If that's the case, it means the Flyers will be in the market for another top-six forward.

We shall see in the days and weeks to come what Hextall has planned. 

We shall see....

• Like 1

Meltzer is bang-on, imo.

This is the key thing for me:

"Umberger is strictly a third-line player, albeit a good one. The pick the Flyers got is a negligible additional asset in exchange for someone who has been a first-line left winger on the club and has been part of several successful line combinations over the years."

Just doesn't really click.

Does the presence of Umberger on the 3rd line provide some defensive coverage/ability  for  Laughton to be slated into the third line and move Coots up to the second?

A lot will depend on how Laughton performs at camp. I think he would really have to knock their socks off to avoid a trip to the AHL for seasoning. Moving Coots up to the 2nd line would do *wonders* for his continued growth. He is ready for that type of move up in the lines. He has worked hard and deserves more ice time. It would also prompt some more offense out of him, something that I believe would have happened anyways, but that would jump start the process....which would in turn be great for the team.

A lot will depend on how Laughton performs at camp. I think he would really have to knock their socks off to avoid a trip to the AHL for seasoning. Moving Coots up to the 2nd line would do *wonders* for his continued growth. He is ready for that type of move up in the lines. He has worked hard and deserves more ice time. It would also prompt some more offense out of him, something that I believe would have happened anyways, but that would jump start the process....which would in turn be great for the team.

Yeah, my focus was on Coots' growth.   If Laughton goes to the A, which I agree is more likely, do you have Umberger center that line and fill in on the wing (and still move Coots up)?

He has worked hard and deserves more ice time.

He was 2nd behind Giroux in average TOI among forwards last season. If he's moved off the shut-down line he may end up getting less ice time, albeit with more offensive opportunities.

I posted the same thing in another thread and I could not agree more.  Perplexing indeed...

I will wait to see what the plan is....until then good luck Scotty and thanks for the time spent in Philly i know you tried.

screen-shot-2013-12-13-at-1-04-58-pm.png

Enjoy Columbus but who knows maybe they flip you to LA where you can join your old Center City buddies.

Yeah, my focus was on Coots' growth.   If Laughton goes to the A, which I agree is more likely, do you have Umberger center that line and fill in on the wing (and still move Coots up)?

I would imagine a lot of that will be determined by how RJ fairs in the face off circle. His face off winning percentage at Columbus was below average, so unless that improves, they may slot him in as a wing. Hard to say where he will play, but the great thing is he has the flexibility to fit in literally anywhere, a huge plus for the Flyers as they construct they fall lines to initially start out the year.

@OccamsRazor  I will miss Harts, certainly one of the most colourful figures in Flyers history. At a time where so many players look like a cookie cutter mold in a helmet, he stood out like a sore thumb. He was a hard worker and bought into what the team was trying to accomplish. In short, a good soldier...I'll remember his time in Philly fondly.

• Like 1

caluso this trade wasn't about getting a playmaker for the top line..it was about getting 2 years off a crappy contract..nothing more.. even though RJ has a modified NTC on his contract the flyers have to pick that up (which they will not)...he could be flipped to a cap floor needy team (HEY BUFFALO) at any time...  I like this trade

I would imagine a lot of that will be determined by how RJ fairs in the face off circle. His face off winning percentage at Columbus was below average, so unless that improves, they may slot him in as a wing. Hard to say where he will play, but the great thing is he has the flexibility to fit in literally anywhere, a huge plus for the Flyers as they construct they fall lines to initially start out the year.

That's what will be cool about Umberger.

We had a team made up of people who didn't really fit together.  Hartnell, for example, really honestly fit nowhere.  VLC is the same way.   Umberger, like you said, fits in so many places that it should begin the process of making lines that are actually functional as lines.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor  I will miss Harts, certainly one of the most colourful figures in Flyers history. At a time where so many players look like a cookie cutter mold in a helmet, he stood out like a sore thumb. He was a hard worker and bought into what the team was trying to accomplish. In short, a good soldier...I'll remember his time in Philly fondly.

Me too.

But with that said i won't miss his pre game talk to reporters on the ice right before the drop of the puck about playing disciplined and playing smart hockey, staying out of the box and stuff and then he comes out and takes a stupid penalty HAHAHA!!!!!!!

Yeah good luck Scotty i wish him the best except when he is playing the Flyers, just like Richie and Crater their is no hate in my heart for him.

I will miss Hartnell...seems like a great man to sit down and have a beer with, and a real charitable guy. He was also my wife's favorite Flyer. She's not much of a hockey fan, so Hartsey's departure will probably only distance her for the sport more. Hopefully she can latch on to another personality. He is a likable player for the most part, and I wish him well. I really enjoyed the fact that he was always the first guy in to defend a teammate or backup his goalie when another team is taking liberties.

On to out current roster- I'm fine with RJ I liked him when he was here, but he doesn't replace what Hartnell provides. Need to bring in a top 6 winger. The bummer is that this doesn't dump much of his salary, so it doesn't open things up much in free agency. I'm confident that they have more up their sleeve. Should be an interesting off season.

• Like 1

Not so perplexing.  We're all already complaining about Hartnell's cap hit, imagine how frustrating it would have been when he's endured three more years of beat downs and abuse and age?

More than anything I'm guessing Berube told Hexy (#27 to #27 I guess) that Hartsy wasn't going to fit into his system long term... or probably short term either. 

Failing that I have no idea really... unless Hartsy slept with someone's wife...

That last part was a joke.

I posted the same thing in another thread and I could not agree more.  Perplexing indeed...

Agreed!  Here Here Scotty!  We shall miss you!

And if you do end up in LA, like most other trades to Columbus seem to, you'll probably get that ring finally anyway.

So here's to Columbus!  Way-point to the Kings and the Cup!

lighted Text Quote
MultiQuote

• Like 1

although, we have 3 more years of the same thing with Umbie...

Hartnell was a good foot soldier over his time in Philly and hope he does well in Columbus. As for Umbie, it's a wait and see as to where he fits in this team, the good thing is he only has 3 years left on his contract. With the signing of Schenn for another 2 years will make it interesting to see what Hexie does next. Should be interesting for the draft this friday in Philly.

some financial flexibility.

What financial flexibility? The only thing i see is that they will have 4.6m to spend to replace Umberger 3 seasons from now. 

The team speed, role flexibility make sense to me. But I do not see any financial flexibility. 

What financial flexibility? The only thing i see is that they will have 4.6m to spend to replace Umberger 3 seasons from now.

The team speed, role flexibility make sense to me. But I do not see any financial flexibility.

Right now? No. Absolutely none right now. But in years four and five it does give them an extra $4.75M against the cap. It also gives them an extra $7.5M in real dollars (to give to Bryzgalov).

That's the financial flexibility