COMBINED: "Whither or Not Vinny"

At this point I assume that Hexy has a deal in place for VLC and is waiting to see if his target FA player will come down in price enough for the absolute bath we'll have to take on VLC's contract to counter balance enough of the new guy's contract.

Either that or He has deals in place with teams that weren't on VLC's list and is trying to talk him into one of them (or helping them do it for themselves -"Nashville's a great town Vinny!".

So unless a Luke Schenn or Grossman deal is in place somewhere else, or Hexy's deal with the new guy is under a million, they're still going to range into the 10% overage penalty on opening day unless he can hide the equivalent of Pronger's money in the AHL for 24 hours without fear of reentry waivers.

At this point we'll be lucky to just unload enough of VLC's contract (3 million or so?) and get back under the cap and then just see what we can swing with year to year growth and if any of the prospects can make the team. 

Either that or just pay the penalty and use Pronger's Opening Day money to fill in blanks throughout the season and try to trade Vinny again at deadline time.

Yeah I know I have nothing new... just talking it through while we wait because I'm getting antsy about it.

Either that or He has deals in place with teams that weren't on VLC's list and is trying to talk him into one of them

"Edmonton is BEAUTIFUL for a week in July!"

I'm guessing we'll probably have to retain a lot of his salary and cap hit, but we're currently at $3M over the cap, and we have to be cap compliant by season's start before we can use Pronger's space.

In fact, signing Jokinen has given Nashville even more leverage - "yeah, sure, we'll still take Vinny, but we don't really need him anymore. But, I mean, if you're just looking to dump his contract, I guess we could give you a 5th rounder. Oh, and you're gonna have to keep half his salary and cap hit."

Ottawa, Calgary and Columbus are all under the league minimum.

Maybe VLC wants to go Center for Hartnell?  Though having two players that slow doesn't seem like it's in their plans.

"Edmonton is BEAUTIFUL for a week in July!"

I'm guessing we'll probably have to retain a lot of his salary and cap hit, but we're currently at $3M over the cap, and we have to be cap compliant by season's start before we can use Pronger's space.

In fact, signing Jokinen has given Nashville even more leverage - "yeah, sure, we'll still take Vinny, but we don't really need him anymore. But, I mean, if you're just looking to dump his contract, I guess we could give you a 5th rounder. Oh, and you're gonna have to keep half his salary and cap hit."

Ottawa, Calgary and Columbus are all under the league minimum.

Maybe VLC wants to go Center for Hartnell?  Though having two players that slow doesn't seem like it's in their plans.

Vinny apparently only has 3 teams he'll go to - and I would bet my house that Ottawa, Calgary, and Columbus are not on that list.

I've read Tampa and Florida, and a 3rd place - which must be Nashville because Hextall surely wouldn't waste valuable time negotiating with a team not on the list.

Obviously, things can change, but for Vinny, at 34 years old, why go somewhere you don't want to go? Unless that becomes a better option that being somewhere you're not wanted, like Hartnell ;)

Obviously, things can change, but for Vinny, at 34 years old, why go somewhere you don't want to go? Unless that becomes a better option that being somewhere you're not wanted, like Hartnell ;)

Because he has to realize he has no future here.  The Flyers made it abundantly clear that he doesn't fit into the team's plans.  So if I am Vinny, I will have to ask myself: do I want to keep languishing on 4th line averaging 6 minutes a game here, or is a better option for me is to go someplace else, which may not be the best city in the world, but where I have a chance to feel significant again?  I guess that really depends on what kind of person he is.

@FlyersFan4Life  Ottawa would make sense. With the loss of Spezza, the Sens must be desperately searching for some cheap offense to offset the loss of Jason. The pressure they are now putting on Kyle Turris at this early juncture of his career is unfair. They need to find goals, and Vinny may just be the answer.

What I don't get....I believe the Flyers will just end up buying Vinny out if they can't find a trade partner, no way he's on the team come October.

If you're going to buy him out, why not just spend that same money to "pick up part of the tab" in a trade?

I would just take part of Homer's salary to pay that tab too.  ;)

Edited by Cheesesteak

What I don't get....I believe the Flyers will just end up buying Vinny out if they can't find a trade partner, no way he's on the team come October.

If you're going to buy him out, why not just spend that same money to "pick up part of the tab" in a trade?

as much good as homer has done he really screwed the flyers over and over with dumb deals. did they not learn from breezy and other disastrous contracts he dealt to player

as much good as homer has done he really screwed the flyers over and over with dumb deals. did they not learn from breezy and other disastrous contracts he dealt to player

That's the surprising part...They have a once in a lifetime tool in the buyouts, they use them and then turn right around and get into financial trouble again with unnecessary contracts that are like albatrosses.  Just the mishap with the 'over-35' contract with Pronger was inexcusable...was Homer feeling the affects of his bike accident when he did that?

it does but I really hope vlc is gone soon.  just imagine if homer was smart and never signed him the flyers could have had extra $$ for free agents this yr

Whatever happens, I think Hextall's approaching it the right way - putting the wheels in motion to move him in an open manner, but saying the right things so that the relationship doesn't get poisoned in case they can't move him.

I mean, if nothing changes, here's what we'd be looking at in the fall:

Schenn/Dirty Mitts/Jake

Umberger/Couturier/Read

Raffl/Vinny/Simmonds

Akeson/Laughton/Bellemare

THe 4th line is a huge question mark, but can they be anymore vanilla than RInaldo/Hall/ROsehill?

@Cheesesteak  I think the whole problem with using a regular buy out on Vinny is the cap hit in terms of years is double. So, in effect, we would be paying for Vinny's contract for the next 6 years, spread out, but still, I'd want to avoid that type of long term commitment if at all possible. Keep working those phones Hexy. I believe, the trick is to get Vinny to expand his teams or risk a pressbox seat...most vets, when faced with that will pick an undesirable destination rather than stay with a team that does not want you and or will not play you.

Vinny apparently only has 3 teams he'll go to - and I would bet my house that Ottawa, Calgary, and Columbus are not on that list.

I've read Tampa and Florida, and a 3rd place - which must be Nashville because Hextall surely wouldn't waste valuable time negotiating with a team not on the list.

LOL! Ryan Suter might disagree.

@Cheesesteak  I think the whole problem with using a regular buy out on Vinny is the cap hit in terms of years is double. So, in effect, we would be paying for Vinny's contract for the next 6 years, spread out, but still, I'd want to avoid that type of long term commitment if at all possible. Keep working those phones Hexy. I believe, the trick is to get Vinny to expand his teams or risk a pressbox seat...most vets, when faced with that will pick an undesirable destination rather than stay with a team that does not want you and or will not play you.

Exactly jammer. It would actually be for the next 8 years though.

Vincent Lecavalier buyout from CapGeek.com

2014-15: $1,500,000
2015-16: $3,000,000
2016-17: $3,000,000
2017-18: $2,500,000
2018-19: $1,000,000
2019-20: $1,000,000
2020-21: $1,000,000
2021-22: $1,000,000

@brelic  Thanks for the correction. Let's avoid this at all costs. I'd rather press box him for the next 3 years than pay that out.

But is that really the best option for the Flyers?  Why would they be deliberately hamstringing themselves if they could sign a valuable player (or two) to actually make a difference on the ice?  Yes, they will be absorbing a big chunk of his salary, but it's still better than paying *all* of it to a man who will be sitting in a press box, or at best, playing 6 meaningless minutes a game on the 4th line. 

Man... Homer really effed this one up. :angry:

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

Because he has to realize he has no future here. The Flyers made it abundantly clear that he doesn't fit into the team's plans. So if I am Vinny, I will have to ask myself: do I want to keep languishing on 4th line averaging 6 minutes a game here, or is a better option for me is to go someplace else, which may not be the best city in the world, but where I have a chance to feel significant again? I guess that really depends on what kind of person he is.

I think Flyers fans have made it abundantly clear, not the organization. Hextall continues to speak as if they're receiving calls not making them so much. Many comments about starting the season with him, etc etc... It may be to keep from appearing weak with him but still, not abundantly clear what their intentions are.

I don't think they can buy him out.  They used up their two buyouts last year on Briere and Bryzaster.

They want to unload him but no one will take his contract. 

Homer just beyond screwed this entire team and fan base on this one.  Beyond.

I'm really starting to come to the realization that we're all just going to have to get used to the idea of a 4.5 million dollar 4th line center.

They traded Hartnell too soon.  Now there's no wing on the top line and too many damn centers again.

And another thing, if I have to listen to Al Morganti tell me how Vinny's a proud player who won't want to sit on the 4th line, I'm gonna barf.   If he was such a proud player he would learn how to play the damn wing like he said he would when that jack ass Homer signed him last year.

Proud?  Great.  Now you and our GM are both a laughing stock.  An extremely well paid, underworked laughing stock.

I think Flyers fans have made it abundantly clear, not the organization. Hextall continues to speak as if they're receiving calls not making them so much. Many comments about starting the season with him, etc etc... It may be to keep from appearing weak with him but still, not abundantly clear what their intentions are.
Edited by King Knut