2014-15 Opening Month for Philadelphia

2014-15SeasonScheduleDL1.jpg

Did one of these for the Minnesota Wild a bit back, touching up on the fact the Wild had a challenging schedule to open things up this season.

Looking over at Philly's schedule, man, I gotta say, many, MANY questions regarding this team may be answered in short order.

The month of October is not going to be kind to the Flyers, as they will be heavily tested from the first puck drop tonight to the last one on Oct 30th.

Any questions regarding team cohesiveness, reliability of certain players, commitment to winning, player conditioning, and anything else in between will be brought to light given this hella scedule the Flyers find they have in October.

I hesitate on calling any NHL team an "easy" win for any club, but some matchups are most definitely tougher than others for any given team, and the Flyers are no different. And Philly has a lineup of 'tough ones' to start.

Have a look at this:

Flyers open tonight in Boston for the B's home opener and that is followed immediately the next night with their own home opener against hated rival the New Jersey Devils.

Devs are then followed in two nights later by the fast skating, sharp shooting, PK Subban containing, playoff hopeful Montreal Canadiens who will surely test that Flyer defense, and the Habs are then followed in by a loaded Stanley Cup hopeful Anaheim Ducks team.

Philly then take to the road for 3:

First stop is in Dallas, where an up n coming Stars team poses a good combination of speed, scoring, and agitation...a Stars team that gave the Anaheim Ducks a VERY good series last year taking them to 6 games.

Next stop is in Chicago.

It's Toews, it's Kane, it's Sharp, it's Crawford, it's Saad, it's Seabrook, it's Keith, and now they have Brad Richards too. Nuff said here. A recent Stanley Cup winner with still basically the same core.

Then the Flyers finish in Pittsburgh. No need to elaborate on the history between these two clubs...everyone knows it, game will be  tough, tense, AND played the night after Philly played the Hawks.

Flyers go back home and face the unpredictable, yet youth filled Detroit Red Wings who also gave a good series to a good team last year to Boston...well, at least till Boston had enough of playing around with them. Still though, young fresh legs and that Detroit mentality of being a winner will test the Flyers' commitment to being winners themselves.

The defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings follow in the Red Wings.

Two nights later, after playing the Kings, the Flyers finish out October against the Tampa Bay Lightning, who by all accounts, are expected to be a top team, if not THE top team, in the Eastern Conference this year.

And the Flyers and Lightning have developed a bit of a rivalry between themselves over the last few years and games are usually chippy,penalty filled, and sometimes, downright nasty.

But for the Flyers D, much like in the Montreal, Chicago, Anaheim, Penguins games before, the Lightning's fast, young legs will put them to the test once again along with Steve Mason who will have to watch from shots coming in from EVERYWHERE.

Whew.....pretty grueling October, I'd say for Philly.

Come November 1st, the team will either find itself saying, "We can play with ANYBODY!", or, "Oh boy, we gotta play catch up again in Nov and Dec..."

Which will it be given this opening schedule?

Comments and takes, please. 

• Wed Oct 8 Flyers @ Bruins 7:30 PM NBCSN Preview
  • Thu Oct 9 Devils @ Flyers 7:00 PM CSN-PH Tickets
  • Sat Oct 11 Canadiens @ Flyers 7:00 PM CITY TV, TVA Sports, CSN-PHTickets
  • Tue Oct 14 Ducks @ Flyers 7:00 PM CSN-PH Tickets
  • Sat Oct 18 Flyers @ Stars 8:00 PM CSN-PH  
  • Tue Oct 21 Flyers @ Blackhawks 8:30 PM NBCSN, CSN-PH  
  • Wed Oct 22 Flyers @ Penguins 8:00 PM NBCSN, TVA Sports 2  
  • Sat Oct 25 Red Wings @ Flyers 7:00 PM SN360, CSN-PH Tickets
  • Tue Oct 28 Kings @ Flyers 7:00 PM TVA Sports, CSN-PH Tickets
  • Thu Oct 30 Flyers @ Lightning 7:30 PM CSN-PH  

Hope you don't mind...just made it a bit easier to read.  The 1st month, though it won't necessarily make or break this team, is a VERY tough schedule out of the gate.  By Oct 31st we will know what type of team we have.  IMO, there are no pushovers.  10 games = 20 points.  To be successful IMO, you would need to attain at least 10 points.  (Devils = W, Pens = W because lately we own them in their building,  Maybe a tie vs Habs / Stars / Red Wings) this only gives you 7points.  I'm hard pressed to find a couple more W's.   

Wed Oct 8, 2014 Flyers Bruins 7:30 PM NBCSN Preview Thu Oct 9, 2014 Devils Flyers 7:00 PM CSN-PH Tickets Sat Oct 11, 2014 Canadiens Flyers 7:00 PM CITY TV, TVA Sports, CSN-PH Tickets Tue Oct 14, 2014 Ducks Flyers 7:00 PM CSN-PH Tickets Sat Oct 18, 2014 Flyers Stars 8:00 PM CSN-PH   Tue Oct 21, 2014 Flyers Blackhawks 8:30 PM NBCSN, CSN-PH   Wed Oct 22, 2014 Flyers Penguins 8:00 PM NBCSN, TVA Sports 2   Sat Oct 25, 2014 Red Wings Flyers 7:00 PM SN360, CSN-PH Tickets Tue Oct 28, 2014 Kings Flyers 7:00 PM TVA Sports, CSN-PH Tickets Thu Oct 30, 2014 Flyers Lightning 7:30 PM CSN-PH  

Hope you don't mind...just made it a bit easier to read.  The 1st month, though it won't necessarily make or break this team, is a VERY tough schedule out of the gate.  By Oct 31st we will know what type of team we have.  IMO, there are no pushovers.  10 games = 20 points.  To be successful IMO, you would need to attain at least 10 points.  (Devils = W, Pens = W because lately we own them in their building,  Maybe a tie vs Habs / Stars / Red Wings) this only gives you 7points.  I'm hard pressed to find a couple more W's.   

Oh, I agree on not making or breaking the team...still have Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr to either right the ship or pee away any leads they may have built or just stay in the mix.

But a schedule like that to start right away should DEFINITELY have everyone's heads in the game, and if the Flyers play like they are capable and come out with wins, I can see them transferring that on some of the 'softer'months, for lack of a better term, and should roll over other teams who perhaps hadn't gotten out of the blocks and aren't as engaged yet.

On the flipside, I looked over at the Lightning's schedule, and again, I won't call anyone "easy", but to open their month, they have lots of teams with either question marks (Ottawa for instance), others with youth trying to find its way in the NHL (Panthers, Oilers for example), or teams that didn't make the playoffs last year, and likely won't this year (Arizona and Winnipeg for instance).

The challenge for the Bolts will be to hammer down on those teams since TB should be favored, not lose sight of where they want to go, then transfer that same fire over to when they face the real contenders.

Philly may have a bit of an edge mentally by facing off with tough October to start.....win or lose, but it most definitely would boost them if they win more than they lose in this opening stretch.

pretty grueling October, I'd say for Philly @Podein25's liver

No kidding.

Wow, I've gone and referred to myself in the 3rd person. I should be flagellated with a rotten halibut (albeit, one poached in a nice coconut sauce) for that!

Oh, I agree on not making or breaking the team...still have Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr to either right the ship or pee away any leads they may have built or just stay in the mix.

But a schedule like that to start right away should DEFINITELY have everyone's heads in the game, and if the Flyers play like they are capable and come out with wins, I can see them transferring that on some of the 'softer'months, for lack of a better term, and should roll over other teams who perhaps hadn't gotten out of the blocks and aren't as engaged yet.

Philly may have a bit of an edge mentally by facing off with tough October to start.....win or lose, but it most definitely would boost them if they win more than they lose in this opening stretch.

If ...and I mean a VERY BIG "IF" .....if they come out of that in decent shape (12 pts or more) then yes...it will definitely give this club some confidence.  However, this team is VERY notorious for slow starts.  I now Berube is hammering and preching mental toughness.  This will be a great place to start practicing what is being preached to you.  All I can say is.......Hope for the best, while expecting the worst.  I'm ok as long as they play 60 min if hard solid hockey EVERY night.  That is all I can ask of them. 

No kidding.

Wow, I've gone and referred to myself in the 3rd person. I should be flagellated with a rotten halibut (albeit, one poached in a nice coconut sauce) for that!

You must resist Kuato!   We need to exorcise that demon now!.  ;)

No doubt, it will be a difficult month for this team, especially with such an average defense.  The players that are supposed to perform need to do so right out of the gate.  A slow start by players like Giroux, Mason, Voracek and Simmer could really make for a rough month of hockey.  But since it is the 1st day of the regular season, I am wearing my really bright orange tinted glasses and I am going to say they come out of this first month above .500!

Del Zotto finds his mojo again and Umberger makes us forget all about Hartnell!  Mason comes out sharp and our top line fires on all cylinders from the moment the puck is dropped!  Book it! :thumbsu:  :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

• Wed Oct 8 Flyers @ Bruins 7:30 PM NBCSN Preview
  • Thu Oct 9 Devils @ Flyers 7:00 PM CSN-PH Tickets
  • Sat Oct 11 Canadiens @ Flyers 7:00 PM CITY TV, TVA Sports, CSN-PHTickets
  • Tue Oct 14 Ducks @ Flyers 7:00 PM CSN-PH Tickets
  • Sat Oct 18 Flyers @ Stars 8:00 PM CSN-PH  
  • Tue Oct 21 Flyers @ Blackhawks 8:30 PM NBCSN, CSN-PH  
  • Wed Oct 22 Flyers @ Penguins 8:00 PM NBCSN, TVA Sports 2  
  • Sat Oct 25 Red Wings @ Flyers 7:00 PM SN360, CSN-PH Tickets
  • Tue Oct 28 Kings @ Flyers 7:00 PM TVA Sports, CSN-PH Tickets
  • Thu Oct 30 Flyers @ Lightning 7:30 PM CSN-PH  

Nice job Doc.

Considering we are only 3 points out of first place after playing 9 of 10 playoff teams to start the season with most of it without Coburn and add McDonald to the IR also as the month went on this was a successful month.  Hockeydb.com has the Flyers having the hardest schedule in the month of October.  We should be able to move forward in the standings next month.

So far "these guys aren't too shitty".

I get a sense from Chief that he wants his team to dictate the terms of play, he has blown-off anyone that mentions "measuring stick" games or toughness of schedule.  I get the sense he wants his guys to think they are the 800 lb gorilla... I think that is cool, especially if he gets buy-in which seems to be happening.

Nice job Doc.

Considering we are only 3 points out of first place after playing 9 of 10 playoff teams to start the season with most of it without Coburn and add McDonald to the IR also as the month went on this was a successful month.  Hockeydb.com has the Flyers having the hardest schedule in the month of October.  We should be able to move forward in the standings next month.

Thanks! .... and looking into my crystal ball for my next trick! :)

Seriously....the Flyers came out of the month of October in probably the best shape it could have asked for despite the tough opponents and the injuries.  Let us not be fooled...this team still has some major flaws moving forward into November.

Greetings:

I was thinking about this en route to work this morning: I'd say the 4-4-2 record embodies what most of us here thought about the team for the year--mediocre...and meant in every sense . There are highs and lows.  Our forwards are promising. The D is "strange."  And our goaltending is a question, and I really...really hope that Mason is not as bad a signing as VLC.  So, we come out of the month pretty much with what I expected.  That said, I think a revisit by Turkey Day/Christmas may have upside surprise.

Howie

I was thinking about this en route to work this morning: I'd say the 4-4-2 record embodies what most of us here thought about the team for the year--mediocre...and meant in every sense .

truthfully, 4-4-2 for a team in transition isn't bad.  especially given that record is against a pretty good roll call of high end teams.  chicago, pittsburgh, dallas, montreal, anaheim, boston, an even .500 isn't bad.  get a month against the buffalo and carolina and that ilk............

Aziz:

After tonight's stinkbomb, i really do worry.

Peace,

Howie

I feel sorry for Mase this team lays a turd in front of him.....not fair to him. One reason why i would have put Vinny on the fourth i don't give a damn if he's making 10 mill a season it's about winning hockey games.....no way i mess with two lines to accommodate one guy............and we'll never know if that is what caused this but i'm willing to guess it didn't help.

Archived