Prospect update 2014-2015

brelic

Therefor i think the Flyer since they know they are burning a year should now just be able to assign him to the Phantoms instead of the junior team for a recall basis if need be.

Whether it "should" be that way or not, it isn't that way.

So what would be wrong with this or issue, yes i know junior teams should get first shot at him since they own his rights

It would likely destroy the fundamental foundations of the CHL itself.

That's not my opinion. That's the opinion of both the NHL and the primary training league that feeds the NHL.

With this we must also understand it wouldn't become an epidemic because this would be a rarity for a kid to be this close to being ready.

They already bring up kids who aren't ready too early without this idea. There would be a mass exodus of players from the CHL.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would likely destroy the fundamental foundations of the CHL itself.

How so, i don't agree with this at all because realistically there wouldn't be many prospect who would fit into this category.

Plus it was why i suggested maybe a limit of only one contract per team that would be allowed to keep it from happening.

They already bring up kids who aren't ready too early without this idea. There would be a mass exodus of players from the CHL.

How so? That is why i'm saying give them an opportunity to play in the AHL not the NHL just like with Sanheim with the talent that will be on his junior team when he goes back next year i think he would be better served in the AHL than juniors but he can't. Just like Provorov i think he'd maybe develop better in the AHL than junior but he can't we'll never know because they don't have the option because of the current rules but there are exceptions in every case.

Just like what happened to Hampus Lindholm because of the rules for Euros was allowed to play in the AHL the year after he was drafted 6th overall and his ELC got to slide and he grew a lot from this but the junior kids aren't allowed this opportunity.

Like i said you would have but 5 or 6 who would have this opportunity every year so it would become a problem.

How so, i don't agree with this at all because realistically there wouldn't be many prospect who would fit into this category.

Again, it's not my opinion - it's what the NHL and the CHL both say.

We can sit here and agree that it wouldn't happen - and I do think many players would be "better off" in the AHL at a certain point - but neither of the parties who actually have a say in making happen agree with that.

Every GM in the league overvalues their draft picks on a regular basis. Some more egregiously than others (Hello - Edmonton!), but the real impact is on the Junior teams that are losing the top players that they drafted and developed.

Calgary has a real, financial reason to want to see a Sanheim back on the Hitmen next season. Likewise Rimouski with Morin or the Wheat Kings with Provorov. Even if they don't keep them on the roster, they can get assets in the CHL for trading them to a "contender" just like in the NHL.

From their perspective even seeing up to 30 top players leave the CHL on an annual basis in addition to the ones who actually make the NHL would seriously adversely affect the quality league as a whole and individual franchises in specific.

Suppose CHL Franchise A has several top prospects that they are looking to make a Memorial Cup run with next season and they are drafted by different teams and pulled into the AHL. That franchise has just lost significant assets and revenue potential.

Calgary has a real, financial reason to want to see a Sanheim back on the Hitmen next season. Likewise Rimouski with Morin or the Wheat Kings with Provorov. Even if they don't keep them on the roster, they can get assets in the CHL for trading them to a "contender" just like in the NHL.

See this is my point i'm talking about what is better for said prospect. And the only concern Calgary would have would be itself because on paper they aren't projected to have a good team next year so they need Sanheim's star power i get it.. Provorov it more likely could be argued which way is best for his development.

And i know it won't happen just discussing what should happen for the rare few who could benefit from playing in the AHL versus back in junior.

See this is my point i'm talking about what is better for said prospect.

The argument can, and would, be made that that prospect wouldn't be the same player at the same point because the developmental league he is playing in wouldn't be as good - "A receding tide lowers all boats."

Right now the CHL is the undisputed #1 best development program in the world for the NHL and it has gotten there with the rules in place as they are now.

That's why they don't want to change it.

The paradox is that as long as you're talking about "a small number of players" there is no groundswell to change the rules - that "small number" isn't enough to make it worthwhile messing with the overall system.

The paradox is that as long as you're talking about "a small number of players" there is no groundswell to change the rules - that "small number" isn't enough to make it worthwhile messing with the overall system.

So think of it as an amendment then............. :ph34r:

So think of it as an amendment then............. :ph34r:

Again, even if you limit it to "one for each team" you're looking at 30 top players leaving early.

And what about the second rounder who's GM thinks he's "good enough for the AHL" - aren't we hurting his development?

I can just about guarandamntee that every GM in the league would want "their guy" to "get experience in the AHL".

Then you're not on a slippery slope, you're on a log flume.

Again, even if you limit it to "one for each team" you're looking at 30 top players leaving early.

And what about the second rounder who's GM thinks he's "good enough for the AHL" - aren't we hurting his development?

I can just about guarandamntee that every GM in the league would want "their guy" to "get experience in the AHL".

Then you're not on a slippery slope, you're on a log flume.

I guess it will never happen so no use in debating it further.

I don't think you'd have that many though...and with that mindset with the Lindholm example i mentioned earlier then why don't we see every prospect who is draft out of the SEL fast tracked to the AHL then because you have that prospect be able to cover over and his contract slide???

I tell you why because these guys are still assets and not every prospect is good enough to be able to come over and succeed at it. It's not like every GM will just take advantage of the rule just because it's there....they still have to develop these guys and determine what is best for each individual.

Therefor a rare few will only be able to do it and succeed you still have to able to determine who can pull it off and who would it hurt and crush their development...i know it's all easier said than done. And yes i do know and agree juniors is one of the best development league in the world.

But for argument's sake there should be a chance...and yes it more than likely will never happen.

I guess it will never happen so no use in debating it further.

It's been debated on here several times (I'm looking for the forums)

I'm not nearly as well versed on the CHL as guys like @flyercanuck and @jammer2 but "the health of the CHL" has always been the rationale for the "way things are" in the past.

I don't think you'd have that many though...and with that mindset with the Lindholm example i mentioned earlier then why don't we see every prospect who is draft out of the SEL fast tracked to the AHL then because you have that prospect be able to cover over and his contract slide???

I tell you why because these guys are still assets and not every prospect is good enough to be able to come over and succeed at it. It's not like every GM will just take advantage of the rule just because it's there....they still have to develop these guys and determine what is best for each individual.

Therefor a rare few will only be able to do it and succeed you still have to able to determine who can pull it off and who would it hurt and crush their development...i know it's all easier said than done. And yes i do know and agree juniors is one of the best development league in the world.

But for argument's sake there should be a chance...and yes it more than likely will never happen.

Often those guys don't want to come over here (which is why they weren't developing in Junior in the first place). SEL guys, for example, are often happier playing in Sweden in what is essentially an AHL environment with guys who speak their language and the Swedish Bikini Team in the stands.

I, personally, wouldn't at all mind if there was "a chance" for "some" guys to be able to make the jump early.

But I've seen GMs in this league drive convoys of Mack Trucks through whatever loopholes existed whenever they were given the opportunity.

It's been debated on here several times (I'm looking for the forums)

I'm not nearly as well versed on the CHL as guys like @flyercanuck and @jammer2 but "the health of the CHL" has always been the rationale for the "way things are" in the past.

Often those guys don't want to come over here (which is why they weren't developing in Junior in the first place). SEL guys, for example, are often happier playing in Sweden in what is essentially an AHL environment with guys who speak their language and the Swedish Bikini Team in the stands.

I, personally, wouldn't at all mind if there was "a chance" for "some" guys to be able to make the jump early.

But I've seen GMs in this league drive convoys of Mack Trucks through whatever loopholes existed whenever they were given the opportunity.

Yes i know it has been debated here.

And it wouldn't be healthy for the CHL if there was a rash of it happening...but hopefully these GMs would care about the prospects and their jobs and would do what is best for the kid and the club....but maybe some of these rules are in place to save them from themselves and having those options.

Oh well i tried. I guess back to the VLC thread for page 9!!!!  :ph34r:

but maybe some of these rules are in place to save them from themselves and having those options.

Oh well i tried. I guess back to the VLC thread for page 9!!!! :ph34r:

Look, at least the owners didn't lockout the players to force them to stop letting the owners do stupid things...

Let me state for the record i don't believe in this article as the gospel....i was just posting it as sort of another opinion(right or wrong)...i think Goul will be much more effective in the NHL than Zac when he gets his chance.

Not slagging on you @OccamsRazor . I hate Broad Street Hockey and their articles. Nothing more than articles that crap on Flyers players. It's a farce of a site.

Wow how things have changed....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Prospect-Pipeline-Alumni-and-More/45/70155

2010-11

1) Jon Kalinski LW

2) David Laliberte RW

3) Kevin Marshall D

4) Joonas Lehtivuori D

5) Andreas Nödl RW

6) Michael Chaput C

7) Patrick Maroon LW

8) Marc-Andre Bourdon D

9) Simon Bertilsson D

10) Joacim Eriksson G

And now....

1A) Ivan Provorov D

1B) Travis Sanheim D

3) Samuel Morin D

4) Shayne Gostisbehere D

5) Scott Laughton C

6) Travis Konecny W/C

7) Robert Hägg D

8) Nicolas Aube-Kubel W

9) Taylor Leier W

10) Anthony Stolarz G

Damn...so this is what a farm system should look like forgive it will take time to get use to...but me likey!!!

Good read on Cousins from Meltzer's blog a few days back. 

Of all forwards on Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Nick Cousins took the biggest leap forward of any Phantoms forward during the 2014-15. A summer spent working on his skating and adding muscle helped him adjust to the American Hockey League after a tough rookie season. So did a more concerted commitment to keeping his feet moving in game situations. 

"It was a learning experience my first year," Cousins said on April 17. "I think this has been a good year for me but I know I can keep getting better."

Cousins led the Phantoms in scoring (56 points) and assists (34) was one goal behind the now-departedJason Akeson for the team lead in goal scoring. Cousins, who turned 22 in the latter stages of the 2014-15 season, earned his first NHL recall in the latter stages of the campaign. 

Apart from boosting his on-ice production, Cousins greatly improved his work ethic from his rookie year to his second. He practiced better. He paid much more attention to conditioning. Often knocked for his defensive play, Cousins also worked at improving his game away from the puck.

Even more than the statistical leap he took offensively, it was the work ethic improvements that impressed Flyers general manager Ron Hextall and now-former Phantoms coach Terry Murray (now an assistant coach for the Buffalo Sabres). Ultimately, the player earned his first NHL recall.

Late in the season, Cousins dressed in 11 games for the Flyers, mostly in a fourth line role. He played more effectively in his first few games than he did in the latter games, and his ice time dropped correspondingly near the end. Along the way, however, he scored a shootout goal in a road game against the Carolina Hurricanes. Cousins did not record a point in game action for the Flyers but now-former Flyers head coach Craig Berube said that he thought Cousins did well overall.

Above all, Cousins got a preview of the next steps he must to take in his development. He can still further improve his skating, discipline and 200-foot play if he is to seriously push for an NHL spot in the future but took strides across the board over the last year.

In his short career to date, Cousins has had some success during NHL preseason games. With new head coach Dave Hakstol at the helm for the Flyers and Scott Gordon taking over behind the AHL bench in Allentown, Cousins will have a fresh opportunity to prove himself worthy of being moved up to the NHL roster as a regular. 

The odds are against him cracking the Flyers' opening night roster. The numbers game works against him barring injuries to veterans, and Cousins will also be in competition with 2012 first-round pick Scott Laughton among others to move up from the AHL to NHL roster. Nevertheless, the 2015-16 season will be a very important one in determining whether Cousins is destined to have a career as an NHL regular with the Flyers. If he continues to improve at the same rate he did last year, Cousins has a shot at a top nine role with the blig club.

Wow how things have changed....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Prospect-Pipeline-Alumni-and-More/45/70155

2010-11

1) Jon Kalinski LW

2) David Laliberte RW

3) Kevin Marshall D

4) Joonas Lehtivuori D

5) Andreas Nödl RW

6) Michael Chaput C

7) Patrick Maroon LW

8) Marc-Andre Bourdon D

9) Simon Bertilsson D

10) Joacim Eriksson G

And now....

1A) Ivan Provorov D

1B) Travis Sanheim D

3) Samuel Morin D

4) Shayne Gostisbehere D

5) Scott Laughton C

6) Travis Konecny W/C

7) Robert Hägg D

8) Nicolas Aube-Kubel W

9) Taylor Leier W

10) Anthony Stolarz G

Damn...so this is what a farm system should look like forgive it will take time to get use to...but me likey!!!

Only two players on the 2010-11 roster has played any significant time in the NHL, Patrick Maroon and Andreas Nodl.  

Some predictions. Phantoms make the playoffs next year, and in two years, as long as the goaltending gets a boost, they will easily be a top 4 AHL team. To much talent, not enough NHL spots means inevitable AHL success.

Some predictions. Phantoms make the playoffs next year, and in two years, as long as the goaltending gets a boost, they will easily be a top 4 AHL team. To much talent, not enough NHL spots patience means inevitable AHL success.

Just added one thing.

NHL Expansion Draft: Who’s Unprotected?

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-expansion-draft-whos-unprotected/

-Choose to protect either nine forwards, five defensemen, and one goalie or seven forwards, three defensemen, and two goalies

-If protecting one goalie, there is no experience requirement for the goalie left unprotected. If protecting two goalies, they must leave one goalie unprotected who played in at least 10 games the prior season, or 25 combined games over the past two seasons

-Teams must leave one defenseman and two forwards unprotected who played 40 NHL games the prior season, or 70 combined games over the prior two seasons

-Players on entry-level contracts are automatically exempt, and every existing team will have exactly two players selected

Philadelphia Flyers

Protected (9F, 5D, 1G)

F: Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn, Matt Read, Michael Raffl, Sam Gagner, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

D: Mark Streit, Luke Schenn, Michael Del Zotto, Evgeni Medvedev, Radko Gudas

G: Steve Mason

Notable Exempt: none

Notable Unprotected: Vinny Lecavalier*, RJ Umberger*, Ryan White, Chris VandeVelde, Andrew MacDonald, Nick Schultz, Michal Neuvirth

More than any existing team, the expansion franchises could do the Flyers a huge favor by taking on some of their dead weight contracts. Lecavalier has made it clear that he doesn’t want to play in Philadelphia, and a team could take a flier on him based on his name and hope he can bounce back with more playing time.

@OccamsRazor  I really think Leier has a legit chance to be the surprise of training camp. His style of play is perfect for Hakstol, and by all accounts, he is the EXACT type of player that Hak covets. I agree, he is probably the very first LW call up, but there is an outside chance this guy will impress the hell out of Hak and Hex and make the team out of training camp. Logic says that he spends at least another year in the AHL....but odd things can happen. His strong play without the puck puts him ahead of many prospects....time will tell.

Archived