hextall has to get his own coach

briere48

How long has Hextall been GM - the number of games that is? I know it is tough to understand and Hextall was a fighter and started his career a year after 83...

Please, if you think this is on Berube you are nuts man. The guy was the best record in hockey after a pitiful start let year. One year is not the time for a coaching shakeup... This defense is horrible

Besides, last year was coach: that makes this year goalie. Gonna be a tough year for Mason. He's going to give up like 83 goals by Halloween with this defense. He's a fighter, though; he'll get through it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long has Hextall been GM - the number of games that is? I know it is tough to understand and Hextall was a fighter and started his career a year after 83...

Please, if you think this is on Berube you are nuts man. The guy was the best record in hockey after a pitiful start let year. One year is not the time for a coaching shakeup... This defense is horrible

even if the defense is bad, he's just not the right coach, if hextall decides to blow it up, you want to start it over with him? i would rather start over with a good coach and the right players and not with someone that doesnt know what he's doing and screwing the team up more.

i never like the hire by homer to begin with, if you like berube because you think he's the only coach that can turn this around then you really have no trust in hextall to pick his own guy. what coach do i think is better out there? i dont know but i know it's not berube and im sure hextall is smart enough to find someone that can coach this team the right way.

It reads like he's just bored by the whole thing. I'm glad his job isn't stressing him too much but maybe the HC ought to have a plan for practicing the stupid thing instead of allowing the Flyers to leave 10, 12+ points on the table every season.

I don't interpret that at all. It sounds more like he is bored of the dumbass beat writers asking him stupid questions.

I frankly don't get the "need to practice SO" thing. Like I stated before, every freaking warm-up starts with players doing 1-on-1, then 2-1, 3-2 etc. If, at the NHL level, you need to practice doing a breakaway, then you probably shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

even if the defense is bad, he's just not the right coach, if hextall decides to blow it up, you want to start it over with him? i would rather start over with a good coach and the right players and not with someone that doesnt know what he's doing and screwing the team up more.

i never like the hire by homer to begin with, if you like berube because you think he's the only coach that can turn this around then you really have no trust in hextall to pick his own guy. what coach do i think is better out there? i dont know but i know it's not berube and im sure hextall is smart enough to find someone that can coach this team the right way.

if you dont trust hextall, then that's your loss.

Berube was a tough fighter... That is all... If only we could go back to 83

I really don't get this. 100pts has long been the standard for an exceptional season in the NHL.  The Flyers had 94 last season. So, three wins away, and that is with the same crappy defense that we have now. If Babcock decides to leave detroit (which it sounds like he is not going to do), then I say meh. Changing coaches just for the sake of change is not going to fix the teams personnel issues.

@Vanflyer   You have to remember, 100 pts used to be the mark of a great team, now....with the pt being awarded for the shoot out win, it really eliminates the ability to cross compare. These days, 100 pts can mean you are slightly better than average.

with the pt being awarded for the shoot out win, it really eliminates the ability to cross compare. These days, 100 pts can mean you are slightly better than average.

Good point and I was kind of thinking that.

I don't interpret that at all. It sounds more like he is bored of the dumbass beat writers asking him stupid questions.

I frankly don't get the "need to practice SO" thing. Like I stated before, every freaking warm-up starts with players doing 1-on-1, then 2-1, 3-2 etc. If, at the NHL level, you need to practice doing a breakaway, then you probably shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

What that doesn't make sense. Its called praticing scoring. They should pratice it. Not the whole practice but some should be devoted to it. Its like if in baseball they didn't have batting practice its how you learn to bat it how you learn to score. I just can't agree that practicing to score on a goaltender can't be helpful. God knows this group needs help scoring.

I just can't agree that practicing to score on a goaltender can't be helpful. God knows this group needs help scoring.

I guess my point really has to do with "dedicated" time to practice it. Your point is valid, but isn't what they do in warm-ups exactly practicing shoot-outs?

I guess the only distinction is perhaps the coaches can critique and guide a player on what to do and not to do.

but isn't what they do in warm-ups exactly practicing shoot-outs?

No it's not even close to the same thing. Warm ups are warm ups. Grab a puck, skate in flip the puck toward the net, give the goalie something to handle. Get your skating legs going a little. Period.

Practicing the SSO is (would be) an entirely different thing. Without even trying I can think of a dozen different ways to make it a halfway interesting practice. But apparently "Chief" is sticking to the Flyers' playbook of "who cares?" I forgot who reported that story (recorded his quotes on their cellphone I mean) but s/he should've asked "and what about the 10-15 points the Flyers lose every year because there's been zero effort to practice the shootout, does that concern you at all? Can you work up a little stress over that ya think Chief?"

What I get from that is that he knows what he's doing isn't working, therefore he's doing it.

Great way to put it, that's it exactly.

"and what about the 10-15 points the Flyers lose every year because there's been zero effort to practice the shootout, does that concern you at all? Can you work up a little stress over that ya think Chief?"

That much?? Sorry, but I can skate in on warm-ups and practice my dekes all day long.

What do you think happens on a penalty shot??

10-15 pts due to shoot outs lost??? Show me the evidence that supports that claim.

I hate that shootouts exist so debating about whether or not to practice them makes my head hurt.

But, we have them. And they can shift your point total quite a bit and can affect seeding or even whether you make the playoffs.

So, of course you practice them! When your team sucks so bad at them that it is a statistical anomaly, you effing practice it!

The discussion, and Berube's, "Duh, I don't know when we should do it, at dah beginning, dah middle, or dah other part...what did Dat part called? Oh yeah, dah end. Tell me 'bout dah wabbits, George." - - sorry, that's insane. That's past stupidity all the way into Toughfighter.

Over all, I think "fire Berube" after four games into the season or "Hextall hates youth" four games in is just simply bizarre. It has a "are we there yet? Are we there yet? ARE WE THERE YET?!?" feel to it.

Just shut up, color in your book, eat some paste, and watch the trees. We're simply not there and asking "are we there yet?" not only won't get us there any faster, it's going to make us stop the car, put you out, and run you over.

Good Grief, briere. It's four fricken games. Eat your paste.

I hate that shootouts exist so debating about whether or not to practice them makes my head hurt.

But, we have them. And they can shift your point total quite a bit and can affect seeding or even whether you make the playoffs.

So, of course you practice them! When your team sucks so bad at them that it is a statistical anomaly, you effing practice it!

The discussion, and Berube' "Duh, I don't know when we should do it, at dah beginning, dah middle, or dah other part...what did Dat part called? Oh yeah, dah end. Tell me 'bout dah wabbits, George." - - sorry, that's insane. That's past stupidity all the way into Toughfighter.

Over all, I think "fire Berube" after four games into the season or "Hextall hates youth" four games in is just simply bizarre. It has a "are we there yet? Are we there yet? ARE WE THERE YET?!?" feel to it.

Just shut up, color in your book, eat some paste, and watch the trees. We're simply not there and asking "are we there yet?" not only won't get us there any faster, it's going to make us stop the car, put you out, and run you over.

Good Grief, briere. It's four fricken games. Eat your paste.

Bingo! Well said... and two thunmbs up!

photo-thumb-951.jpg?_r=1374589282

If the team was better 5 on 5, they would win in regulation. And in the playoffs.

Exactly!!!  This team this year has been outscored 12-6 while 5 on 5.  This simply cannot happen if this team wishes to move forward.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this part of the argument against VLC, that even though he scored 20 goals last year, a bunch came on the the PP.  A blind deaf mute has a better chance scoring with a hooker than this team has scoring on even strength.  :ph34r:

I guess my point really has to do with "dedicated" time to practice it. Your point is valid, but isn't what they do in warm-ups exactly practicing shoot-outs?

I guess the only distinction is perhaps the coaches can critique and guide a player on what to do and not to do.

I can't lie i don't really know how a practice is divided but i'd imagine like in football you'd want to cover everything you'd think you'd see in a game. The time is limited so there is a lot to cover.

And i'd imagine if the Flyers were a good shootout team than that would be a portion that you may skip and/or lightly brush over but we know that isn't the case with them.

They need to practice to me it should fall back on the fundamental and keeping it simple quit all the fancy moves and what not and know your goaltender his tendencies and want ting to score.

It is points waiting to be claimed they are important and the players should want to get them.

And like the players and many fans i hate the fact that the game comes down to this but it is part of it so they need to take it seriously and snatch those points when they can till they get rid of the shootout.

That much?? Sorry, but I can skate in on warm-ups and practice my dekes all day long.

What do you think happens on a penalty shot??

10-15 pts due to shoot outs lost??? Show me the evidence that supports that claim.

The Devils went 0-13 last year in the shootout. So i'm no math scholar by any means but if my calculator is working that is 13 points lost right there. That would have dramatically changed their seeding they would have been in the playoffs not out.

The Devils went 0-13 last year in the shootout. So i'm no math scholar by any means but if my calculator is working that is 13 points lost right there. That would have dramatically changed their seeding they would have been in the playoffs not out.

yup....Devils finished with 88 pts, Flyers seeded 3rd had 94 pts.  All the Devils needed would be 7 points and they are seeded #3 and play the Rangers and the Flyers drop to #4 and play our lovely across the state rivals....the Pens.  Totally changes the playoff picture as Columbus then does not make the playoffs.

Take home point.....yes we ALL HATE the shootout, HOWEVER, under the current NHL tyranny, that is what is in place to settle ties after the OT period as expired.  There are points to be taken.  You need to take the SO seriously until things change.  If you suck at it, then dedicate time to practice it...if not then what you sow...you reap.

Show me the evidence that supports that claim.

what you forgot how to read W/L records? lol What "evidence" do you need? It's everywhere, just google Flyers and Shootout - they're the worst team in the NHL and always have been since the stupid thing began. Okay "10-15" is an exaggeration I admit - even if they won every SSO contest it's probably only 8 or 10 games so say they go 50%, which adds 4 or 5 pts. Four or Five more pts last season and now G7 is in Philly instead of a barn where the Flyers haven't won since Hextall was in net!

So for the HC to talk about it in such a ... well, Rux did it to a tee - "gee George" LOL - that really bothers me. The Flyers are the worst team and the coach can't figure out what time to practice it. I've heard of lame excuses but that is pathetic.

[edit: now today I read an article that has this: "We obviously lose a lot of points in the shootouts," Berube told Rob Parent of The Delaware County Daily Times. "We just have to hope we can work, work, work on it and get it better.” He added that the Flyers practice the shootout frequently and often do well at it. "In a game, it’s completely different," Berube told Parent. "You are under a lot of pressure. It’s a different situation; different goalies.]

what you forgot how to read W/L records? lol What "evidence" do you need? It's everywhere, just google Flyers and Shootout - they're the worst team in the NHL and always have been since the stupid thing began. Okay "10-15" is an exaggeration I admit - even if they won every SSO contest it's probably only 8 or 10 so say 1/2 that, 4 or 5 pts. Four or Five is A LOT OF POINTS!

A few points more last season, now G7 is in Philly instead of MSG where the Flyers can't win.

So for the HC to talk about it in such a ... well, Rux did it to a tee - "gee George" - that bothers me. The Flyers are the worst team and the coach can't figure out what time to practice it. 've heard of lame excuses but that is pathetic.

That at the fact lets take away just the title "shootout"..................then it's just called practice skating in alone on the goaltender, basically a breakaway that happen in the actual game......how can practicing scoring be a bad thing????

Really?

This isn't meant towards you just to piggyback with what most here are saying how in the hell can practicing scoring ever be a bad thing i just don't get how Chief acts like it doesn't matter.....when it does.

They need to practice to me it should fall back on the fundamental and keeping it simple quit all the fancy moves and what not and know your goaltender his tendencies and want ting to score.

It is points waiting to be claimed they are important and the players should want to get them.

I think teaching tendencies, etc. And knowing them is really on the coaching staff.

You should be able to tell your guys whether his shootout strength is high, low, glove, stick, does he poke check, does he come out, stay in, etc.

Doing the ol Roger Neilson on it.

I don't know what other teams do or don't do and i dont know the the Flyers don't have a "book" on goalie tendencies in the shootout.

It is evident, however, that what they are doing hasn't been particularly effective.

So for the HC to talk about it in such a ... well, Rux did it to a tee - "gee George" LOL - that really bothers me. The Flyers are the worst team and the coach can't figure out what time to practice it. I've heard of lame excuses but that is pathetic.

[edit: now today I read an article that has this: "We obviously lose a lot of points in the shootouts," Berube told Rob Parent of The Delaware County Daily Times. "We just have to hope we can work, work, work on it and get it better.” He added that the Flyers practice the shootout frequently and often do well at it. "In a game, it’s completely different," Berube told Parent. "You are under a lot of pressure. It’s a different situation; different goalies.]

and that type of attitude my friend is what gets coaches staanding in the unemployment line down by city hall.   I am no way implying that Berube is on the hot seat just yet.....but to take that approach on shootouts is beyond pathetic and inexcusable.

Sorry...not buying his excuse.

and that's the part that gets me most - Berube is like Totally devoid of imagination apparently. Yes it's "different in game situations." Well duh. So that means what exactly? Never practice anything because games are "different."

How about creating some pressure on the guys to score in practice? How about $1000 per miss, the player gives it to a local charity? Too much? Okay a hundred. Oh so they're all super-rich money doesn't matter? Okay, how about filming their moves and the lamest 5 get shown on the scoreboard the next home game? Potential embarrassment is a motivator for all of us.

Too harsh? Then try this: First attempt the guys have to skate in backwards and shoot between their skates. Idiotic? Of course it is, but loosen it up somehow. After the backwards round then line up the regular way. Make it fun, make it costly, make it embarrassing to lose. Reward the scorers right then and there - an extra day off, $1000 cash I don't know, whatever these guys crave most, give it to whoever scores on their first attempt.

Or do what Blysma did - a strip shootout practice. Score? Hit the showers, your day is done. Miss, lose a piece of equipment and get back in line.

There's ways to get good shooters better at breakaways. Voracek has a good shot but he's 1-8 in the SSO. Couturier also 1-8, Simmonds too. Sounds like nerves are getting the best of them. Maybe some goofy practices - combined with some real consequences (good and bad) could help.

You are under a lot of pressure. It’s a different situation; different goalies.

Mason has been somewhat better at it, but that's the crux of it, isn't it?  For much of the history of the shootout, if (big if) they do practice it, they practiced against goalies that flat out sucked at it.  Bryz would have been better at it if they just shot him and laid his dead carcass across the crease. 

So you practice against this quality [sic] and get good against it and then try to take that accomplishment to a real life situation against goalies who wait, move, react, think, breathe.  It's like prepping for a real life appearance on jeopardy by using one or two Trivial Pursuit cards against your cat...or worse, against toughfighter.

Okay, so they can practice every fourth Wednesday (unless it's raining) against Mason, but even though he's better you're still practicing against one guy's tendencies.  If they practice on a regular basis perhaps both goalie and shooters begin trying new things as the goalie adapts to stop what the shooters are doing and the shooters then begin trying new and different things.  Over time, you would think it would start making them better.

Then again, you can put lipstick on a pig....

Archived