hextall has to get his own coach

briere48

let's be honest here, berube is not the answer for this team because the players dont fit with his scheme, hexy has to get his own coach that has been successful and being able to get the players that fit in the coaches scheme even if hexy has to rebuild the team that way the system will work with the right players and not the wrong players, no one wants to hear the term rebuild but if it's not working why waste years of mediocre hockey?

i mean yeah the oilers rebuilded and didnt work out because they did it the wrong way, the right way of doing it, is getting the right coach/system and get the right players a championship coach wants it.

the oilers should have hired a good coach before they the rebuild. that's why they are bad.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The time for Hextall to change coaches was in the offseason. Let's not forget that pretty much this same group had one of the best records in the NHL after October last year. Four games in and the results aren't good, but the sample size is too small to jump to any conclusions about what problems there actually are.

there is probably something to this tract of thought, Hextall inherited Berube from Holmgren so he's not "his guy" that said.

Berube is a student of the game, and is a good "hockey man" .  He commands respect in the room , knows his Xs and Os, last year they were playing a center lock modified system that worked okay, but it did require everyone's feet to be moving in all three zones.  that hasn't happened so far this year, there are new guys, and guys expected to play a big part gulp Coburn not playing , Giroux missing all of camp for whatever his deal is. In fairness Chief hasn't had a full quiver yet.

I don't think that Hexy and Chief are so far apart in philosophy that Chief needs to go.

actually it's been a year, it's the same stuff over and over again, giving up leads, turning pucks over, team is very inconsistent every game, why cant you move on from him?

Here's where I disagree, The Flyers were one of the top teams in the league after that horrid start.   There are all kinds of articles and stats about how well they played from November to the end of the season so i'm not going to post them.  The biggest factor in the turn around from the beginning of the year was the coach .

So I don't see where Berube is the problem.  The roster is not as good as last year's... that's on Homer and Hextall, and the Hockey gods for Timonen's injury  not Berube.

Here's where I disagree, The Flyers were one of the top teams in the league after that horrid start.   There are all kinds of articles and stats about how well they played from November to the end of the season so i'm not going to post them.  The biggest factor in the turn around from the beginning of the year was the coach .

So I don't see where Berube is the problem.  The roster is not as good as last year's... that's on Homer and Hextall, and the Hockey gods for Timonen's injury  not Berube.

you are telling me if there was a better coach out there, you would not take him over berube?

you are telling me if there was a better coach out there, you would not take him over berube?

If there was a better GM out there than Hextall, I'd take him. If there was a better player out there than Giroux, I'd take him. I want the team to do well. The question is, who is this better coach/player/GM? You went from saying that Hextall needs to find his coach, to asking if people wouldn't take a better coach than Berube, IF he was out there. I'm sure they would, but who IS that guy?

The roster is not as good as last year's...

As @AJgoal noted, the roster is almost identical to last season. You have Umburglar instead of Hartnell. You lost Timonen to injury.

Ten forwards, five defensemen and both goalies are the same as they entered the playoffs with last season. Would a healthy Timonen at 39 have made that much of a difference? Would not making the Hartnell move have changed things that drastically?

I don't think Berube is "the problem." The problems on the roster are deep-seeded and long-term.

My only real question is whether or not Berube and Hextall are on the same page in terms of player development and focus of direction.

And I'm giving that far more than four games to figure out.

It doesn't appear that the team is divided or that he lost the room so I can't attribute the early struggles to Berube.  I do agree that there are players here that don't fit his scheme.   One of which Hextall spent all summer trying to move.  Not Chief's fault VLC was signed to an immovable contract by Hextall's predecessor.   Let the rest of this month play out and see what happens.  I don't know if its just me but the Flyers missing the playoffs this season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.   I think even with this roster firing on all cylinders they still fall short of being contenders.     

Bear in mind the top two defenseman expected to play are injured. And the Flyers already had one back to back with travel. There's nothing wrong with the coaching (always subject to change).

The players need to do their ******* jobs. Simmonds you can count on like a Rolex. The rest....?

@PhilsFanDrew

I'm with you. I'm happy to watch them lose and get a top-10 pick in what is shaping up to be a very good Draft. In fact, I'm so happy to watch them lose that I haven't tuned in yet to watch them win.

Good planning!

I'm never happy to watch them lose, but I understand that sometimes it's necessary. With a roster of cobbled together parts, it's hard to place the blame on the coach.

@briere48

Blysma is apparently available for the first coach opening.   :ph34r:

The main issue with this team is puck movement.  This team lacks the speed from the blueline, no need to fire Berube for a defense that is below average compared to rest of the league.  

As @AJgoal noted, the roster is almost identical to last season. You have Umburglar instead of Hartnell. You lost Timonen to injury.

Ten forwards, five defensemen and both goalies are the same as they entered the playoffs with last season. Would a healthy Timonen at 39 have made that much of a difference? Would not making the Hartnell move have changed things that drastically?

I don't think Berube is "the problem." The problems on the roster are deep-seeded and long-term.

My only real question is whether or not Berube and Hextall are on the same page in terms of player development and focus of direction.

And I'm giving that far more than four games to figure out.

RE: Timonen ...Every defensman would be slotted into a role better suited to their abilities, he would be another calming/teaching voice, even though the rest of the d are veteran players who gets into better position than he did? I think he'd be able to impart some of that wisdom on the bench between his shifts...I think his loss is pretty substantial.

I think I am saying that...yes. Who is available that is better ? Scotty Bowman isn't coaching anymore, Quenville Babcock and Vigneault are busy....

And Berube isn't the problem, I am willing to entertain the notion that Hextall might want "his guy" , but there is no reason to fire Chief , none.

this isn't a reason to fire him but did everybody read his comments re: the SSO? It reads like he's just bored by the whole thing. I'm glad his job isn't stressing him too much but maybe the HC ought to have a plan for practicing the stupid thing instead of allowing the Flyers to leave 10, 12+ points on the table every season.

Here's a few quotes:

"I don't think about it," Berube said yesterday. "For me to stress over it, for me to stress my team over it, it doesn't do anything."

"It's tough," Berube said. "To be honest, I don't want it to take away from our practice. Do you do it at the beginning of practice, when the ice is fresh? Do you do it in the middle of the practice? I don't feel I want to do that.

"So, we do it at the end of practice a lot and it's not the same effect. There's no tricks to it. It is what it is. That doesn't mean they can't practice it [on their own] to try and get better. That's all you can do. You never know, you just keep working on it."

story link: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20141016_Oh__shoot_out__.html

Here is a question to ask....is their another coach out there that could have led the Flyers to a playoff spot after the horrid start of last year. Berube may not be Hexy's guy, but he has done nothing wrong as far as I can see. As Dick Vitale once said, you can't make chicken sandwichs out of chicken ****. Not the coahes fault Hexy was hamstrung by the cap and could not improve the dreadful defense.

actually it's been a year, it's the same stuff over and over again, giving up leads, turning pucks over, team is very inconsistent every game, why cant you move on from him?

How long has Hextall been GM - the number of games that is? I know it is tough to understand and Hextall was a fighter and started his career a year after 83...

Please, if you think this is on Berube you are nuts man. The guy was the best record in hockey after a pitiful start let year. One year is not the time for a coaching shakeup... This defense is horrible

Archived