Will the Sabres challenge the record for worst record ever?

yave1964

The Buffalo Sabres are 1-7 with their only victory over the winless Hurricanes. In the four games since the victory, the Sabres have been outscored 11-1.

Overall, in eight games the Sabres have nine goals total, barely a goal a game.

The leading scorer for the club has 3 points.

They do not have a single plus player, only one (girgensons) who has appeared in more than 1 game is even.

In 7 games Anrej Mesjaros is minus 9.

They have ZERO power play goals in the first 8 games in 27 chances and have given up a shorty. Yes, they have been outscored with the man advantage.

Additions Moulson and Gionta, signed to provide offense have zero combined goals and 3 combined assists and a combined -9.

Only one player, Marcus Foligno has both a goal and an assist on the year.

The entire defense has one assist and is minus 27.

Enough of this. Unless you are a secret sadist that is enough to explain just how awful this team is.

And the schedule does not get any easier any time soon. Through November other than a game against Edmonton or two, the schedule resembles the Bataan Death March. Other than home games against Winnipeg and Edmonton they are going to be overwhelming underdogs in every single game they play.

It is conceivable that at the one third point, the Sabres very easily could be looking at a record of 3-24 or 4-23.

The all time worst record for a single season was the expansion Washington Capitals who went an appalingly horrible 8-67-5 for 21 points. Is it possible that this Sabre squad can give them a run for their money as the worst team ever?

It is certainly possible, in the age of parity the Sabres are an exception, just a poorly put together mix of mediocre pieces. Hodgson, Moulson, Myers, a few others can play but are stretched too thin. Kids like Girgensons and Zadorov are in the learning curve. Others such as Torrey Mitchell, Chris Stewart, Tyson Strachan, Mike Weber, Cody McCormick, Deslauriers are not NHLers or if they are, they are 13th forward types who have been forced into nightly duty.

I don't think they will break the record but with Connor McDavid out there as the potential prize to the worst team in the game, the Sabres just might give it a good try.

I think it would be awesome if the Sabres challenged for the single season record for futility!! :hocky:

Like the Flyers, the Sabres will be cleaning up the mess of a horrible GM for a few seasons but they have some talent developing in the A. I am a season ticket holder for the Rochester Amerks and they are off to a 4-1 start and have scored 21 goals in 5 games. Tim Murray has been preaching the same things as Hextall about not rushing prospects etc. It will be interesting to see if things get to the point where he would deviate from that plan.  Leads to the discussion; Would a prospect benefit or regress from being subjected to the current **** show that is the Buffalo Sabres?

Without reading it all, I am guessing the Colorado Rockies or Cleveland Barons?

No the 1974-75 Washington Capitals. They came aboard in the height of expansion madness and the talent pool was stretched to ridiculously low proportions anyway with the upstart WHA fielding ten teams of their own. Horrible non talented team.

Knowing that we have no shot at anything, I want to be dead last for sure.  Only Carolina could ruin that but its not likely.  They are all young but they have Cam Ward.  I think they would be happy with second worst?  Last place assures us either McDavid or Eichel.  And its probably no sure thing as to which is the smarter pick?

We need to get a goalie in that draft also

The Hurricanes are getting the Staal brothers back soon which will get them righted, they will still be bad, but not that bad.

A goalie in the draft usually is not a good idea, it takes three years or so for them to get it together and break in. They would be so much better off adding one thru free agency.

No the 1974-75 Washington Capitals. They came aboard in the height of expansion madness and the talent pool was stretched to ridiculously low proportions anyway with the upstart WHA fielding ten teams of their own. Horrible non talented team.

That, and the NHL had allowed Sam Pollock to rig the entire decade in his teams' favor.   ;)

I don't think they will break the record but with Connor McDavid out there as the potential prize to the worst team in the game, the Sabres just might give it a good try.

Pass or Fail: Sabres' tanking anthem 'All About Last Place' (Audio)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/pass-or-fail--sabres--tanking-anthem--all-about-last-place---audio-161303168.html

“All About Last Place”

Check out the song tell you all you need to know.

Well, I hate to rub in a loss or anything, but any team that makes the Maple Leafs look halfway competent defensively is bad, and they should feel bad.

I'm sorry, but if you guys don't get McDavid, it'll be cuz you're getting Eichel.

I take that back, actually. Sabres are still beating the 'Canes. Astonishing.

@Commander Clueless@jammer2

3 goals in their last six games. Really. Just plain awful on offense. For some reason they have been experimenting with Hodgson on the Wing and their one true playmaker (kind of) is out of position. To be fair to Girgensons he is a talented kid but more of a bottom six guy. They need to put Godgson back on the top line at center with Moulsona nd gionta and at least have one line that might score.

@flyercanuck@jammer2

NOT PERMANENTLY!! My opinion is that he has potential for a lot more, but RIGHT NOW Girgensons is a bottom six guy with very nice potential to move up. I don't want blocker coming after me, lol. No, i just think that at this stage of his career with the awful collection of talent around him he would be better served by playing a lesser role.

If I was you, I wouldn't be too worried.  I don't get violent.

But, my wife is a different story.

I actually am considering picking him up in my fantasy team, he plays twice this weekend and 4 times next weekend.

I think that He has a very nice upside, but my God what a bad bunch of forwards he is forced to play wth. And now they sent Reinhart back to juniors.

@yave1964   I was considering him also, but a quick peak at Buffalo's schedule tendencies show they play the Tues, Thurs and Saturday gammit quite often, which usually means it can be tough to get him into the line-up. I didn't see anyone on my team I would bench in front of him, so I passed. If he played the Wends, Friday and Sunday schedule like the Ducks, Hawks and Devils...it would be a no brainier.

I actually am considering picking him up in my fantasy team, he plays twice this weekend and 4 times next weekend.

I think that He has a very nice upside, but my God what a bad bunch of forwards he is forced to play wth. And now they sent Reinhart back to juniors.

Suck up!   :D

Archived