Flyers/Oilers rumour ... again

brelic

http://www.theflyersfeed.com/trade-rumor-oilers-flyers-talking/#

The trade rumor train just keeps on rolling in Philadelphia as Ron Hextall looks to be in talks with the Edmonton Oilers once again.

According to a report from Broken Bell Sports, the rumors center around defenseman Braydon Coburn, who the Oilers have been trying to make a deal for for years. And Luke Schenn might be in play as well. The speculation is that the Flyers want one of the Oilers young defenseman in return, namely Jeff Petry or Martin Maricin.

The Flyers are finally healthy on defence, so that leaves 8 defencemen and only 6 spots available. Luke Schenn saw the least ice time of any defenceman on Saturday with a measly 9 minutes total.

If his $3.6 million cap hit is going to be sitting idle in the pressbox, it only makes sense for Hextall to try and get something for Schenn.

Who would you make a deal for, if anybody?

I think it would be picks. Hex is understood this year is waste already. it's about 40% to make a playoff, even if they will make playoff where would they end up? More likely playing against Habs or Pens, and it's loss. So the team building is priority.

Andrew MacDonald looks good in the Oil's color scheme...very similar to the Isle's   

maybe i'm feeling too harshly towards him , there are okay parts to his game,  and if the younglings come along maybe he can be good in a second pairing role... i don't know he's making a lot of money for the next 4 years.  He has no NMC and is a decent player, he and Lukey the slow® for some AHL player and a youngling of the Oil's ?

Ek mentions it too... so I guess that invalidates the rumour :D

Coburn would get you more return, but leaves a bigger hole (or does he?)

Oh, the madness of trading a #2 overall pick JVR for Luke Schenn and have his value plummet to basically bottom feeder.

I don't know much about Petry or Maricin. Anyone?

And what would be the benefit of trading, say, Schenn or Coburn for another defenseman?

I know they are "professionals" but I would not be surprised to see Brayden's play decline were his brother to be traded.

maybe not, but i totally think running Luke outta town makes it harder to keep Brayden around when his bridge deal is done,  do you then include  him (#10) in the rebuilding core with that possibility ?  Does that open up trade possibilities for Brayden ? I would consider moving Lukey very carefully.

I would want picks...  Schenn and Coburn could go as far as I am concerned... throw in McDud too :thumbsu:

Why just picks ?

I really don't see our team as being that far off from being pretty good. 

I think if we were Buffalo bad I can see "just give us your picks", but I want a good young player, the core of the team is young and pretty talented,  trading NHL players for a bunch of crapshoots isn't how teams win.  Ask Edmonton how having lots of high draft picks is working out.  If we were to get a young good NHL player in return for Coburn who isn't old, or Schenn who's younger still... that's a win.  getting a teams 1st round draft pick and then gving up a player that will help them win .  I'm not feeling it.

Ek mentions it too... so I guess that invalidates the rumour :D

Coburn would get you more return, but leaves a bigger hole (or does he?)

Oh, the madness of trading a #2 overall pick JVR for Luke Schenn and have his value plummet to basically bottom feeder.

I don't know much about Petry or Maricin. Anyone?

And what would be the benefit of trading, say, Schenn or Coburn for another defenseman?

Petry has probably been one of the better Oiler D men and he's right handed. The Flyers won't get him for Coburn. Marincin is good young D man. He's made his way through the organization fairly quickly. Many people around here feel he should be playing every night. But some reason that's not the case. Right now the way Coburn has been playing I don't know what his value is. Pretty sure if they move him it will be more than a one for one deal.

Why just picks ?

I really don't see our team as being that far off from being pretty good. 

I think if we were Buffalo bad I can see "just give us your picks", but I want a good young player, the core of the team is young and pretty talented,  trading NHL players for a bunch of crapshoots isn't how teams win.  Ask Edmonton how having lots of high draft picks is working out.  If we were to get a young good NHL player in return for Coburn who isn't old, or Schenn who's younger still... that's a win.  getting a teams 1st round draft pick and then gving up a player that will help them win .  I'm not feeling it.

I dont want to take on any big salary coming back.   What in Edmonton is all that great to take back anyway... the players I would be interested in are not going to be traded for Coburn / McDud / Schenn.   You will get nothing in return for Schenn - he simply is not a good player.   Coburn *might* get you something in eturn that is worth bringing salary back.

as for the Oilers... that is like saying we should be shocked that the Leafs stink again.   The Oilers have been a failuer of an organization for some time.  I have no faith that Org has any clue what to do - just like the Leafs. 

I dont want to take on any big salary coming back.   What in Edmonton is all that great to take back anyway... the players I would be interested in are not going to be traded for Coburn / McDud / Schenn.   You will get nothing in return for Schenn - he simply is not a good player.   Coburn *might* get you something in eturn that is worth bringing salary back.

as for the Oilers... that is like saying we should be shocked that the Leafs stink again.   The Oilers have been a failuer of an organization for some time.  I have no faith that Org has any clue what to do - just like the Leafs. 

What? You mean putting a bunch of former players in charge of your organization and are only there cause they are buddy's with owner can't work? Wait..............where have I seen that before? Lol. Problem with the Oilers is that Katz is a billionaire owner who is also a fan that grew up watching the glory days. Now he has surrounded himself with those former players. It's quite bizarre. If you had a business venture that has failed for 11 years straight would you not clean house and start over? I'm not even an Oiler fan but even I get frustrated watching them.

What? You mean putting a bunch of former players in charge of your organization and are only there cause they are buddy's with owner can't work? Wait..............where have I seen that before? Lol. Problem with the Oilers is that Katz is a billionaire owner who is also a fan that grew up watching the glory days. Now he has surrounded himself with those former players. It's quite bizarre. If you had a business venture that has failed for 11 years straight would you not clean house and start over? I'm not even an Oiler fan but even I get frustrated watching them.

LOL!!

That whole organization is just a mess!!

I dunno. Would you take a look at Perron? Edmonton's supposedly looking to move him. I have not seen him, but he looks to be a pretty reliable 20/40 LW. At 26, he's not old, and is signed through next year at a cap hit of a bit over 3.8 million. Supposedly they want a top center in return, but I just don't see his production this year (down from previous years at 2g/8a) as warranting that good a return. Even if Schenn continues to produce, LW is a weakness, as is secondary scoring. Perron could be a fit. The problem is I'm not exactly sure what the Flyers have that Edmonton would want that I'd want to trade. I'd say see if they want to take VLC, but at this point, I don't think you're getting anything of any value for what he's providing.

I dunno. Would you take a look at Perron? Edmonton's supposedly looking to move him. I have not seen him, but he looks to be a pretty reliable 20/40 LW. At 26, he's not old, and is signed through next year at a cap hit of a bit over 3.8 million. Supposedly they want a top center in return, but I just don't see his production this year (down from previous years at 2g/8a) as warranting that good a return. Even if Schenn continues to produce, LW is a weakness, as is secondary scoring. Perron could be a fit. The problem is I'm not exactly sure what the Flyers have that Edmonton would want that I'd want to trade. I'd say see if they want to take VLC, but at this point, I don't think you're getting anything of any value for what he's providing.

RE VLC

perhaps Vinny could help fill a leadership void with the Oil, also they are bereft of centermen, i don't know that they have a bonified #2 out there . Clearly RNH is the #1 but there's not much down the middle, It would be a chance for him to play with talented players in his natural position. His situation here isn't to anyone's liking  and that may be a place where hockey-wise he could be a nice fit.  VLC isn't right for our team, that doesn't mean he's useless. A situation like what's going on out there could be good for him.

I'd say see if they want to take VLC, but at this point, I don't think you're getting anything of any value for what he's providing.

agree AJ... and I would not be so sure VLC would waive the NMC to go to the Oilers at this point of his career...

RE VLC

perhaps Vinny could help fill a leadership void with the Oil, also they are bereft of centermen, i don't know that they have a bonified #2 out there . Clearly RNH is the #1 but there's not much down the middle, It would be a chance for him to play with talented players in his natural position. His situation here isn't to anyone's liking  and that may be a place where hockey-wise he could be a nice fit.  VLC isn't right for our team, that doesn't mean he's useless. A situation like what's going on out there could be good for him.

That, fine sir, is some excellent spin. I have some ice I'm trying to sell to some Eskimos Inuit and I'd like to enlist your marketing services.

You know Mojo, I have thought that that might be what some team was thinking. I just don't see it. But that may just be me being overly pessimistic based on the return we've gotten since bringing him in.

Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger, this morning, said that pretty much everybody is in play other than Hall and Nuge. If Eberle is available, the return should be pretty good. Ryan Rishaug also tweets that they're definitely shopping Justin Schultz. It's been kind of a dream of mine for two years that they could find a GM to foist him upon. It's these times that are dangerous for the Oilers, in that they need to really know who should go and who should be kept.

If Jeff Petry or Martin Marincin are moved, and the return is just picks or lower level prospects, then things will only get worse. If they can create a package centered on a player like Norris Jultz, then they have a clearer idea of what they're doing.

Re: Perron, he might look nice flanking Couturier and Simmonds. I have to wonder if Read has become somewhat expendable with guys like Bellemare and Vandevelde who can kill penalties. Read's offensive upside is limited and he's struggled to reach the same numbers he has in his rookie year - I think what you see is what you get with Read. In the longer-term picture, if you want Couturier to take the next step, it has to be at the expense of Read as his winger (whether he's traded or just moved to another line). Perron has a higher offensive upside.

Unless Eberle plays on the off-wing, I don't think he's our target. We already have Voracek and Simmonds on the right side, so it would just be creating a problem. I think Yakupov also plays his off-wing so he's on the same side as Voracek and Simmonds (wow, was Yakupov *really* -33 last year???). Plus the cost for a 1st overall would be prohibitive. Are you willing to give up Couturier or Brayden Schenn for Yakupov? I'm not - it's just not a move that makes sense.

All that said, where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there's been smoke for a year now.

Are you willing to give up Couturier or Brayden Schenn for Yakupov? I'm not - it's just not a move that makes sense.

asbsolutely not.  I want no parts of Yakupov...

we have heard about this trade forever now and nothing ever seems to come of it.  i am not holding my breath on this one.

All that said, where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there's been smoke for a year now.

Yup. Might as well start making predictions. 

I'll start: Coburn and VLC (we retain some salary) and a 2nd in 2016 (2015 gone already and a Flyer trade wouldn't be right without a 2nd) for Eberle and Oilers 4th in 2015 

I don't think the cost of Yakupov is going to be high. He's not his coach's favourite, he plays third line minutes and he's not living up to the first overall billing. Edmonton basically has no choice but to move him. He's not going to cost as much as people seem to think he'll cost.

I remember Yakupov's hype... not your typical russian player, came here to play the north american style, great work ethic  you're gonna love him !

i wonder what happened between then and now ?

Archived