Here comes VLC!

murraycraven

Based on Berube's comments looks like VLC will be back in the lineup... Here is Meltzers projected lineup:

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 49 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds
18 R.J. Umberger - 14 Sean Couturier - 24 Matt Read
36 Zac Rinaldo - 40 Vincent Lecavalier - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

5 Braydon Coburn - 55 Nick Schultz
8 Nicklas Grossmann - 32 Mark Streit
47 Andrew MacDonald - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[29 Ray Emery]

Scratches: Michael Del Zotto (healthy), Carlo Colaiacovo (healthy), Chris VandeVelde (healthy), Ryan White (IR, torn pectoral muscle, practicing with the team).

Clearly they are bring him back to be a defensive anchor on the 4th line :ph34r:

photo-50.jpg?_r=1417452413

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side note, sort of....

So let's pretend that the Flyers win the lottery and draft McDavid. Would you, if you were Ron Hextall, turn around and trade McDavid, MacDonald, VLC to a team that can (a) take on that salary, (b) their 1st round pick and a defensemen?

It helps clean up some of Homgren's mess. Or do you keep McDavid and suffer in cap hell for a few years?

So VLC will get a fresh start from Berube. He puts him on the 4th line and will give him 6-7 mins? Lol, VLC ask for more then 5 mins a night to show his worth, Coburn has been stinking defensively and still gets to play while MDZ sits. Classic move for this bonehead coach. I cannot wait to the offseason to see what Hextall gonna do to fix this fugly mess.

So VLC will get a fresh start from Berube. He puts him on the 4th line and will give him 6-7 mins? Lol, VLC ask for more then 5 mins a night to show his worth,

And 2nd unit PP time. He's apparently replacing Laughton on that unit.

Side note, sort of....

So let's pretend that the Flyers win the lottery and draft McDavid. Would you, if you were Ron Hextall, turn around and trade McDavid, MacDonald, VLC to a team that can (a) take on that salary, (b) their 1st round pick and a defensemen?

It helps clean up some of Homgren's mess. Or do you keep McDavid and suffer in cap hell for a few years?

YOU DON'T TRADE GENERATIONAL TALENT PERIOD. Especially for a cap dump. Hell no! And I wouldn't do that with Eichel either . Or Hanifan. 

Ah, thanks. So he may get around 2 mins to show his offense. Genius move by the coach, I wonder what's the next great move will be.

Well, in 10-11 he had 11 of 25 goals on the PP

in 11-12 he had 5 of 22

in 12-13 5 of 10

Last year 8 of 20

38% of his goals have come on the PP in the past four seasons.

So, there's that if you're looking for offense from VLC.

He's also -28 over that stretch...

@radoran

I am looking for some offense from Vinny but want to see him improve his value for a trade maybe? Berube saying he will give Vinny a fresh start but then puts him on the fourth line with 2 scrubs. That to me is not a fresh start, Vinny is still in his doghouse. Not saying give Vinny top line minutes but atleast let him play with better players to see if he improves and let him back up his words that he can help contribute. Berube has lost credibility on this from me. If Vinny turns it around, maybe we can trade him for future consideration and move on. If he still stinks, just buy him out and end this drama.

I have total respect for how he has handle this situation, shows he's a team first guy. Yes his skill has diminish but like he said he didn't sign here to play for Berube, who is a moron. I have been wondering if Jake had not stepped his game up this year and how the first line has carried this team so far, would Berube be fired already? This situation needs to be handled sooner then later.

@Vincent05

I agree with you that Berube has handled this poorly.

I'm wary about disrupting what has been a fairly good set of lines since the benched VLC just " to see" if VLC still has it.

They've been trying to trade him - and by "they" I mean the Flyers and VLC's camp - since last season ended. There are simply no takers - not for futures, not for anything that doesn't involve the Flyers retaining salary or giving up another player they want to keep. And Hextall apparently refuses to retain salary.

Guy has three more years on his contract after this one.

Capgeek has a VLC buyout essentially costing $2.9M against the cap for the next three years and then $888K the next three. Quite frankly, I'd rather retain $1.5M or $2M for three years than go the buyout route, but I agree again that something needs to be done here.

I'm not a VLC fan, but the guy does deserve better than this. At $4.5M for a 20-goal scorer, it's not a "bad deal" in the modern context, but he's never going to be a 20/50 guy for the Flyers as a winger or 4th line center.

He allegedly signed here for five years to play for a coach who was in his fourth season as a Flyer coach. No Flyer coach has been here more than five years since Fred Shero.

Boneheaded move on his part. Boneheaded move on the Flyers part*.

Maybe retain $1.5M and flip him over to Nashville to see if we can patch things up from L'Affaire Weber? Serious spitballing there...

* #homercoaster™

@radoran

I agree and think we are on the same page. I would retain 50% of his cap if the CBA allows it, rather do that then have cap hit for 6 years. In the next 3 years, we will be rebuilding so that won't hurt much as much as 6 years in which we might need all the cap space to resign players or FAs.

Berube saying he will give Vinny a fresh start but then puts him on the fourth line with 2 scrubs.

Bellemare has shown some flashes of talent when given a chance and although he is not a great puck handler, Rinaldo is definitely fast and for the most part defensively responsible. It's not like he is being put on a line with Jay Rosehill and Zac Stortini for wingers..............yet.........

Side note, sort of....

I don't know. I keep hearing McDavid, McDavid, McDavid and I just don't see the hype. Honestly, if the Flyers ended up with a top two pick, I'd hope that they put the pick up for auction and get a Lindros-esque return on the deal. Young roster players, blue chip prospects, first round picks. That's the way to go.

Bellemare has shown some flashes of talent when given a chance and although he is not a great puck handler, Rinaldo is definitely fast and for the most part defensively responsible. It's not like he is being put on a line with Jay Rosehill and Zac Stortini for wingers..............yet.........

Hi coach Berube, how you doin? Is the team ready to play tonight?

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't know. I keep hearing McDavid, McDavid, McDavid and I just don't see the hype. Honestly, if the Flyers ended up with a top two pick, I'd hope that they put the pick up for auction and get a Lindros-esque return on the deal. Young roster players, blue chip prospects, first round picks. That's the way to go.

Just assuming that they land in the top three, I couldn't hurt to see what offers come down the line. I haven't seen too much of the draft class in action this year, but I keep hearing that the top three are legit. 

In other words, this may be a better year to suck than 2007.

Here comes VLC. The new hit tv show to replace Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, only on Comcast.

Watch as Vinny battles foes like Craig "Chief" Berube for ice time. Watch him serve popcorn to a millionaire. See how he spends $4.5 million while living in south jersey. Don't miss an episode!

They've been trying to trade him - and by "they" I mean the Flyers and VLC's camp - since last season ended. There are simply no takers - not for futures, not for anything that doesn't involve the Flyers retaining salary or giving up another player they want to keep. And Hextall apparently refuses to retain salary.

Do you think the Flyers could get takers if they threw in Berube?

25 goals from here on out. bank on it.

Based on Berube's comments looks like VLC will be back in the lineup... Here is Meltzers projected lineup:

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

10 Brayden Schenn - 49 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds

18 R.J. Umberger - 14 Sean Couturier - 24 Matt Read

36 Zac Rinaldo - 40 Vincent Lecavalier - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

5 Braydon Coburn - 55 Nick Schultz

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 32 Mark Streit

47 Andrew MacDonald - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason

[29 Ray Emery]

Scratches: Michael Del Zotto (healthy), Carlo Colaiacovo (healthy), Chris VandeVelde (healthy), Ryan White (IR, torn pectoral muscle, practicing with the team).

Clearly they are bring him back to be a defensive anchor on the 4th line :ph34r:

photo-50.jpg?_r=1417452413

Someone MIGHT I say MIGHT take the 3rd pick in exchange for taking Vinny and Umberger from us.

Imagine that. We'll give you Conner McDavid if you also take VLC and Umberger.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

Just assuming that they land in the top three, I couldn't hurt to see what offers come down the line. I haven't seen too much of the draft class in action this year, but I keep hearing that the top three are legit.

In other words, this may be a better year to suck than 2007.

Am I, Ron Hextall talking to Nashville?

Side note, sort of....

just for giggles:

He was quite effective on the 4th at the end of last year.

I for one think VLC could be functional somehow somewhere still because we've seen flashes of it.

Could that happen here? Really really doubtful.

Will anyone take him unless they see it happenjng here? Also very very unlikely. It's a catch 22 but mostly only theoretical possibility.

Need more data and experimentation.

So VLC will get a fresh start from Berube. He puts him on the 4th line and will give him 6-7 mins? Lol, VLC ask for more then 5 mins a night to show his worth, Coburn has been stinking defensively and still gets to play while MDZ sits. Classic move for this bonehead coach. I cannot wait to the offseason to see what Hextall gonna do to fix this fugly mess.

Archived