Greatest European Hockey Player Of All Time

JagerMeister

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to go with Jagr hands down, but Forsberg is a nice number two.

How about this for a line:

Jagr     Forsberg    Selanne

With Salming and Lidstrom of defense

And Hasek in net.

Shout out to Kharlamov.

Second line of

Kurri    P. Stastny  Bure

I think i could win a few games with that team.....

I would have to go with Jagr hands down, but Forsberg is a nice number two.

How about this for a line:

Jagr Forsberg Selanne

With Salming and Lidstrom of defense

And Hasek in net.

Shout out to Kharlamov.

Second line of

Kurri P. Stastny Bure

I think i could win a few games with that team.....

Hasek imo is the greatest euro player of all time. With lidstrom second and jagr third but maybe if forsbergs career didn't end as early he would probably be competing with jagr as the best euro forward

Forsberg

cropped_ForsbergStamp.jpg?ts=1393164115

Maybe if he played more games then maybe he would be up there with guys like lidstrom and Hasek. But Hasek has the best peak of any goalie and lidstrom has the longest prime of any defenseman(besides Bourque) and those two have just accomplished much more then forsberg

Maybe if he played more games then maybe he would be up there with guys like lidstrom and Hasek. But Hasek has the best peak of any goalie and lidstrom has the longest prime of any defenseman(besides Bourque) and those two have just accomplished much more then forsberg

In International play Forsberg has 2 Olympic Gold medals, 2 World Championship 1994 and 2006,  Two World Championships in 1992 and 1998,   3 Silver medals in World Championships 1993, 2003, 2004

Add to that 2 Stanley Cups.

and other Records from Wiki

Forsberg set an all time tournament record at the 1993 World Junior Championships with 31 points in only seven games. Also, he ranks first in career points among tournament scorers with 42 points (10 goals and 32 assists).

With his second Olympic Gold in 2006, he became the third player in history to have enough titles to be a member of the Triple Gold Club twice (the others being Viacheslav Fetisov and Igor Larionov).

As of 2014, Forsberg stands eighth in NHL all-time points-per-game, with 1.25 points-per-game in his career.

He is ranked fifth all-time in NHL career assists-per-game with 0.898, behind only Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr and Sidney Crosby .

In International play Forsberg has 2 Olympic Gold medals, 2 World Championship 1994 and 2006,  Two World Championships in 1992 and 1998,   3 Silver medals in World Championships 1993, 2003, 2004

Add to that 2 Stanley Cups.

and other Records from Wiki

Nicklas lidstrom has 

7 Norris trophies 2nd most all time, and he won one of them when he was 41

10 times first all star team, 2 time second all star

Conn smythe trophy winner, and a member of the triple gold team

Dominik Hasek

1st place highest career save percent

6th most shutouts

8th place lowest goals against average

one of 6 players to win the hart trophy as a goaltender, and he did it twice

3 jennings trophies

6 vezina trophies, second place

Forsberg cant compete with arguably the second greatest defenseman of all time and arguably the greatest goaltender of all time

its tough to compare goalies vs forwards/defenseman as well. Why not Hasek?

I think he was one of the best goaltenders of all time. I also respect that he turned away parts of his salary when he got injured.

But I also remember the personal conflict he had with Ted Nolan that split the Sabres fanbase. And refusing to play occasionally for various reasons.

He was a great player, European or otherwise, but don't think he had the impact on the game Jagr or Lidstrom have.

I think he was one of the best goaltenders of all time. I also respect that he turned away parts of his salary when he got injured.

But I also remember the personal conflict he had with Ted Nolan that split the Sabres fanbase. And refusing to play occasionally for various reasons.

He was a great player, European or otherwise, but don't think he had the impact on the game Jagr or Lidstrom have.

I would say he impacted the game just as much as those two. His accomplishments are as great as the two, if not better. Arguably the greatest goaltender of all time. You cant argue Jagr being the best forward or Lidstrom being the best dman of all time. 

Jagr demanded Pittsburgh trade him multiple times cause he wasn't the leading scorer anymore. He mailed in a few years in Washington. The guy could be a prima donna at times. If you're knocking Hasek then take off those Pens glasses and see Jagr.

He's a changed man (must have been the Flyers that did that  :lol: ) and I respect what he's done with himself to continue a career that he looked like he was giving up on at one time. 

Jagr demanded Pittsburgh trade him multiple times cause he wasn't the leading scorer anymore. He mailed in a few years in Washington. The guy could be a prima donna at times. If you're knocking Hasek then take off those Pens glasses and see Jagr.

He's a changed man (must have been the Flyers that did that :lol: ) and I respect what he's done with himself to continue a career that he looked like he was giving up on at one time.

Actually that's incorrect. Craig Patrick admitted after the Jagr debacle that a lot of the issues with Jagr and the trade were exaggerated by the franchise in some ways, and provoked in others, because Patrick knew they couldn't afford to keep him. The franchise owners were worried about the backlash from the fan base if they admitted financial troubles and felt it would cause even more money problems, so they tainted Jagr's appearance to the home crowd.

So in judging him, and not being able to fairly assess what was him and what wasn't, I chose to set that all aside years ago. Hence my still appreciating him as a Penguin despite his time in Philly, and not bad mouthing him even when he played for you guys. ;)

@Polaris922

Of course its incorrect. They never wanted to trade Jagr. But they did. They never tried to tank. But they did. The Flyers were never interested in acquiring Comrie. But they did.

And just ask Buffalo Rick...Hasek and Nolan are best friends.

Do you ever actually read my posts or just try to find a cynical angle to paint them as stupid? Christmas a bad time of year for you or something? Usually you debate things with points, not cynical nonsense. You ok??

Actually that's incorrect. Craig Patrick admitted after the Jagr debacle that a lot of the issues with Jagr and the trade were exaggerated by the franchise in some ways, and provoked in others, because Patrick knew they couldn't afford to keep him. The franchise owners were worried about the backlash from the fan base if they admitted financial troubles and felt it would cause even more money problems, so they tainted Jagr's appearance to the home crowd.

So in judging him, and not being able to fairly assess what was him and what wasn't, I chose to set that all aside years ago. Hence my still appreciating him as a Penguin despite his time in Philly, and not bad mouthing him even when he played for you guys. ;)

do you have a credible source, because i would like to believe that :D 

@Polaris922

You discount Hasek because he wasn't a great teammate, but Jagr you give a free pass? Jagr has become a great teammate...there was a time when he was one of the biggest prima donnas in the league.

I'm not being cynical...just saying judge them both on even ground. 

I would say he impacted the game just as much as those two. His accomplishments are as great as the two, if not better. Arguably the greatest goaltender of all time. You cant argue Jagr being the best forward or Lidstrom being the best dman of all time.

I personally wouldn't start with the premise that Hasek was the greatest goalie of all time. In fact, for me, he doesn't even enter the conversation. Seriously. So, now I can make the argument for Lindstrom or Jagr (also great but not greatest at their positions).

Hard to compare defenseman vs. winger. They are one and two, but I guess I go with Jagr and then Lindstrom. I changed my mind several times while typing this.

Archived