Carlyle Fired

JackStraw

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/maple-leafs-fire-coach-randy-carlyle/article22310302/

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Tuesday morning that head coach Randy Carlyle has been fired.

Assistant coaches Peter Horachek and Steve Spott will handle coaching duties in the team’s next game Wednesday night against the Washington Capitals.

"I want to thank Randy for all of his hard work and dedication,” general manager Dave Nonis said in a statement. “It’s never an easy decision to make when changing your leadership but our team was not trending in the right direction and we felt an immediate change was necessary.”

Whoa, what? They actually....you know, did something?

I'm not entirely sure Randy was the problem, but sometimes you need a fresh voice I guess. To be honest, it was probably time for Randy to move on.

I'm wondering if they will run maybe Steve Spott interim and look at options in the offseason?

Hopefully, Carlyle isn't the only change.

I guess the next question is who replaces him?

I'd have to think that they stick with Spott and Horachek as interim coach(s) until Shanny's at least had a shot at Babcock this offseason. If that falls apart, maybe Blashill?

Dale Hunter is another option considering they already have Mark Hunter as Director of Player Personnel (possibly Nonis' replacement soon? So the theory goes).

Paul MacLean would be a fun option, if only to annoy the Senators.

Some are thinking DeBoer after his firing, but I don't know about that one.

@flyercanuck That's either a very good thing (whip em into shape), or a very bad thing (lose the room again).

Rumours are flying that everyone is on the trade block. Naturally. And honestly, they should be.

There has been rumours Kessel had a disagreement with management as well. Tough to say if there's any traction to that because the Toronto media has a field day with the slightest suggestion of any drama surrounding the Leafs, be it fact or fiction, but who knows?

@hf101 Beware the Shanaswoop.  :P

I actually think Shanny will stay away from Bylsma, but I've been known to be wrong before. I think Pete DeBoer is much more likely, but I can't say I'm in favour of that.

Hopefully they at least try to snag Babcock. Not sure why he'd want to come to this trainwreck of a team, but hey...weirder things have happened.

My fiancee was ecstatic, until I said I thought they'd hire...

black-sports-online-john-tortorella-goes

On a totally unrelated note, anyone in the Philly area have a spare bedroom available for a week or so?

@Commander Clueless

I see this as a chance to make a move on Babcock at the end of the year. With the Wings mini-slump the Leafs probably see this as a chance to clear Carlyle out and not a coach hanging over their head come May. Personally I like Carlyle and I agree with you that sometimes a change for change sake can shake up a team so I get it, but truthfully the Leafs have climbed right back into it. I think maybe they are afraid of a surge, maybe a hundred point season and (gasp!) making it out of the first round locking them in on Carlyle, this way an interim coach is easily shuffled off the stage to make room for the Canadian coaching hero to ride in and save the day. This move,as a Wings fan makes me think the Babcock situation is a foregone conclusion.

The bold new Shanaplan:

Step 1) Fire Nonis, shift Mark Hunter to GM

Step 2) Fold the team, move it to Seattle

Step 3) MLSE acquires expansion team, names it the Maple Leafs.

If we're lucky, not only will this give us a completely fresh start, it will also remove any voodoo magic still lingering on the team.

Apparently Kessel lost it on a reporter today after former coach Wilson said Phil is the problem: 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/phil-kessel-loses-cool-blasted-by-former-coach-ron-wilson-1.2891442

I mean, look at him: he's fat, there's no other way to say it.

Well, in all fairness it was a stupid question.

@Podein25 I'm honestly on Phil's side with that one. That reporter was being an ass.

Phil ain't no gym rat, but I think he looks fatter than he actually is because of his face. The guy is one of the fastest players around, and in training camp he actually had one of the highest rated fitness levels on the team, apparently....which either means everyone on Toronto is fat, or Kessel isn't as fat as he looks.

Kessel has to be the fastest fat man on the planet.

Well, in all fairness it was a stupid question.

It certainly was and he apparently admitted as much later on TSN. I'm no fan of journalists, but I nevertheless take delight in seeing Kessel suffer. I can't stand the guy. He goes on about the reporter not showing such disrespect to other players, but Kessel doesn't earn that respect. He looks like he's 40 pounds overweight, takes entire games and weeks off and generally sets a bad example for his teammates who can't possible respect him either.

Kessel has to be the fastest fat man on the planet.

Maybe he is, but he can't possibly be in top shape and carry that kind of baby fat in his cheeks. All other top players look like Nazi prison camp survivors by this time of the season. Sorry, but it doesn't compute. He should care about the image he projects at the very least.

It certainly was and he apparently admitted as much later on TSN. I'm no fan of journalists, but I nevertheless take delight in seeing Kessel suffer. I can't stand the guy. He goes on about the reporter not showing such disrespect to other players, but Kessel doesn't earn that respect. He looks like he's 40 pounds overweight, takes entire games and weeks off and generally sets a bad example for his teammates who can't possible respect him either.

So, what you're saying is... You don't like Kessel? Do I have it right?

Archived