28 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2 Players Do You Keep?

• Bellemare
    • Colaicovo
    • Emery
    • Rinaldo
    • Schultz
    • Vandevelde

Ok, we all know the stars and other substantial players we want to keep (in a perfect world). The likes of Giroux, V, Simmonds, Mason, Coots come to mind. We also have discussed the albatross contracts until we are blue in the face. Again, VLC, McDonald and RJ come to mind. Any player in my opinion (it's my poll so I can do that) that falls into those 2 categories were not considered for this poll. That leaves 2 more categories as I see it. It's the Grossman's, Streits, Reads, Schenn's, Coburns and Laughton type players in the first of these last 2 categories. They are a combination of players that are either higher paid than you want but important cogs in the wheel, as currently constructed. It's also players (Laughton) that could very well be crucial in years to come. This is not meant to indicate that any player in any of these three categories can't OR indeed won't be replaced.

Let us turn to the 4th and final category made up of those character players seldom discussed. I self imposed a 6 player limit on the poll and picked these 6 guys. Again, someone else might have come up with a different mix but this is my mix so that's the way the puck bounced.

Anyway, pick 2 of them and lets see who the fan favorites are out of this motley crew and who do we think is "most valuable" out of them. Who do we not want to lose? They can all be replaced, possibly easily. It will probably come down to a gut reaction as to who you simply like for what ever reason you may have. But the interesting thing is why... 

Idaho-

Bellemare and Schultz...

Quite frankly Emery is a broken down shell of his former self, CocaCola can't stay healthy and does not bring too much, Rinaldo has become a bit of a liability. VDV I quite like but for me Bellemare brings far more to the team. Schultz has been a pleasant enough surprise and would be fine as a 3rd pair Dman. 

Process of elimination brings Bellemare and Schultz to the top of the list.

Bellemare and Schultz...

Quite frankly Emery is a broken down shell of his former self, CocaCola can't stay healthy and does not bring too much, Rinaldo has become a bit of a liability. VDV I quite like but for me Bellemare brings far more to the team. Schultz has been a pleasant enough surprise and would be fine as a 3rd pair Dman. 

Process of elimination brings Bellemare and Schultz to the top of the list.

Same reasoning I had. The only difference is I would pick VV over Bellemare. Splitting hairs, really. But I like VV's game, and he's getting results.

Same reasoning I had. The only difference is I would pick VV over Bellemare. Splitting hairs, really. But I like VV's game, and he's getting results.

I wouldn't disagree necessarily but Bellemare has a greater skillset IMO. That may be cancelled out by VDV's better physical presence I guess.

I wouldn't disagree necessarily but Bellemare has a greater skillset IMO. That may be cancelled out by VDV's better physical presence I guess.

I picked Bellemare over VDV, but the truth is that while they're the best on the list of choices given, they are both immediately forgettable players. They each have jobs because no one else was available for the price range the Flyers were forced into.

I have nothing against either one but I'll forget them completely the day after they aren't on the Flyers. They'll be a "hey, do you remember?" question like Thoresen.

Of the choices listed, I went with Schultz and VDV. Schultz has played well enough to lock into a 5-6 role on D. VDV has looked good on the PK and has had some nice goals recently.

That being said, I am on the hope they keep MDZ bandwagon. I think he may develop into a solid puck moving D-man.

Flyers reportedly planned Penguins brawl over dinner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo-sports/flyers-reportedly-planned-penguins-brawl-over-dinner-214943521-nhl.html

According to Pittsburgh-based columnist Dejan Kovacevic, who was in attendance for last night’s fight-filled game at Wells Fargo Center, the “mayhem” we saw on the ice was “orchestrated” by Flyers captain “Claude Giroux and a few of his mates,” who “met at a local steakhouse and decided this night, this opponent would make the perfect foil for turning their season around.”

And just for good measure, Kovacevic called the Flyers “the most repugnant franchise in professional sports with all due apologies to Bill Belichick’s Patriots.”

The crux of Kovacevic’s column was that the Penguins, for the most part, kept their cool despite the Flyers’ attempt to “raise a circus tent over the proceedings.”

But it’s the charge that the Flyers cooked the whole thing up, as opposed to something that happened organically, that was most interesting. Especially considering what Zac Rinaldo said about his hit that injured Kris Letang.

Just another chapter in the rivalry, we suppose.

HHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Flyers reportedly planned Penguins brawl over dinner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo-sports/flyers-reportedly-planned-penguins-brawl-over-dinner-214943521-nhl.html

According to Pittsburgh-based columnist Dejan Kovacevic, who was in attendance for last night’s fight-filled game at Wells Fargo Center, the “mayhem” we saw on the ice was “orchestrated” by Flyers captain “Claude Giroux and a few of his mates,” who “met at a local steakhouse and decided this night, this opponent would make the perfect foil for turning their season around.”

And just for good measure, Kovacevic called the Flyers “the most repugnant franchise in professional sports with all due apologies to Bill Belichick’s Patriots.”

The crux of Kovacevic’s column was that the Penguins, for the most part, kept their cool despite the Flyers’ attempt to “raise a circus tent over the proceedings.”

But it’s the charge that the Flyers cooked the whole thing up, as opposed to something that happened organically, that was most interesting. Especially considering what Zac Rinaldo said about his hit that injured Kris Letang.

Just another chapter in the rivalry, we suppose.

HHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

So the captain tried to fire up his mates to go out and play with passion against a hated rival?

Oh geez. I think Koracevic is the most repugnant "journalist" in professional sports. Because this isn't journalism. It's tabloid fodder.

It's the Penguins who know all about planning sketchy things over dinner.

Bellemare and Shultz are the easy choices for me.  

Bellemare has obvious positives to his game.  He has offenseive talent and I think given more ice time and better line mates, he could put up more points.  He is also very good on the PK, especially killing time within the opposing zone by tying up the puck along the boards.  I have enjoyed watching him play, and I especially enjoyed him tuning up Farnham!

Shutlz has been exactly what you would hope for out of a 3rd pairing d-man.  Good, not great, but has certainly not been the Achilles heel of this team's D.  Solid play, limits turnovers and relatively responsible with the puck.  I would most certainly hold onto him, especially after having to deal with totally incompetent 3rd pairing guys like Parent, Kreicheck, and Modry over the years.  It's nice to have a solid 3rd guy.

So the captain tried to fire up his mates to go out and play with passion against a hated rival?

Oh geez. I think Koracevic is the most repugnant "journalist" in professional sports. Because this isn't journalism. It's tabloid fodder.

very funny, couldn't stop laughing at this keep up the good work!

LOL...I know, I read that yesterday.  This guy is going to untwisting his panties for a month!  God forbid the captain implores his passionless team to actually play with some passion against a hated rival.  I guess given their place in the standings, the Flyers were supposed to lay down and let the Pens run right over them.

I went with Bellemare/Schultz. Bellemare as a perfectly serviceable Bottom 6 and Schultz as a #7 Dman.

VDV is fine, and also perfectly serviceable. Quite frankly, I don't think other teams are going to be knocking the door down to get him.

I went with Bellemare and Vandevelde.  Schultz has really played well for the most part but he's getting up there in age.   I don't think keeping him would break the bank but I'd rather see youth brought up next year to see what we have.   I would just be thankful for what Schultz was able to give us this year but I wouldn't count on the same going forward another year plus.  

I went with Bellemare and Vandevelde.  Schultz has really played well for the most part but he's getting up there in age.   I don't think keeping him would break the bank but I'd rather see youth brought up next year to see what we have.   I would just be thankful for what Schultz was able to give us this year but I wouldn't count on the same going forward another year plus.  

Plus you can find the Schultz's all offseason long....7th Dmen are a dime a dozen. I know he has played ok but he has mad some boneheaded weak mistakes as well. It don't won't i think get as much talk because well he is a 7th Dman. Unlike Coburn who waaaaay more is expected. But no way i resign Schultz for more than a one year deal close to what he is making. I'd actually like to see his minutes if he was ever to play go to a guy like Manning if need be.

A list of the free agent Dmen..............

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/11/25/2015-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-defensemen/

Archived