Mike Richards Waived

AJgoal

Ever hear that quote? Seems appropriate when you compare their time in Philly (or even now in LA that the team is struggling) vs the 2 cup runs. Richards and Carter have talent. They are also opportunistic leeches.

Yes, a great quote. And I was really bummed as a fan on how Richards ended up spiraling and being shipped out of Philly. I actually really enjoyed watching him on the ice, and the whole thing just felt like a bad soap opera to me. But neither he nor Carter owe me or you or the universe anything. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, this is all very true. But it's your judgment of him. 

At the end of the day, if Mike Richards looks at his career and is happy with what he's accomplished, that's wonderful. He's happy. All of the external judgments don't matter one iota in the grand scheme of things. It's all about how he evaluates his own successes and failures. The criticism and praise are meaningless as far as his own personal fulfillment are concerned - there are people who are universally praised that have killed themselves because they were so unhappy, and there are universally hated people who have had inner peace. External judgments matter very little.

The current state of his career and the things that lead up to it are not my opinion, they are facts. I know, I know it's "my opinion" that he has the attitude of a loser.

If Mike Richards is happy then I am happy for him, but his personal happiness has very little to do when evaluating his career; which is what I thought were doing?

Yes, a great quote. And I was really bummed as a fan on how Richards ended up spiraling and being shipped out of Philly. I actually really enjoyed watching him on the ice, and the whole thing just felt like a bad soap opera to me. But neither he nor Carter owe me or you or the universe anything.

I don't want anything from them, I'm discussing their careers.

Will Carter stop scoring so he can get sent to the AHL with his life long buddy??...and can you fit a keg and frat girls on a AHL bus?

His new teammates, particularly the younger ones, will love him. Many a future career will be ruined over the next several months.

If Mike Richards is happy then I am happy for him, but his personal happiness has very little to do when evaluating his career; which is what I thought were doing?

Right. So in that case, I still think that at 29, he's had a very impressive career. 481 points in 704 games (0.7 ppg), 2 Stanley Cups, 2 (or is it 3?) goals while down 3-on-5, NHL captain. The Flyers clearly got the best version of Richards, and he seemed to be a great complimentary piece in LA.

So if he were to retire today, I would say short but very nice career. 

@brelic  Rad's previous point was dead on. The *ONLY* player ever to win a Memorial Cup, Calder Cup, Stanley Cup and a Olympic Gold Medal and World Junior Gold Medal....that is just flat out amazing. That is gonna be a VERY tough record to break. Sneaking in that Calder Cup is the tough one....Mike was only down there cause there was a NHL strike and the Kitchener Rangers got knocked out of playoffs.

Richards haters can say what they want, but it was not a coincidence that he won all those championships, the guy is a winner, flat out. Not only did he win Gold at the World Jr's, he was Captain of that team, who had Crosby, Weber, Seabrooke, Bergeron, Perry, Getzlaf...on and on with the world class talent.....that roster was LOADED, and Mike was bestowed with the C....that is impressive in my books.

Right. So in that case, I still think that at 29, he's had a very impressive career. 481 points in 704 games (0.7 ppg), 2 Stanley Cups, 2 (or is it 3?) goals while down 3-on-5, NHL captain. The Flyers clearly got the best version of Richards, and he seemed to be a great complimentary piece in LA.

So if he were to retire today, I would say short but very nice career. 

Do you think Carter (496 points, a .73ppg, and 2 cups) has had an impressive career too? I know it's not over, but so far? He doesn't even get a fraction of praise from Flyers fans as Richards does, but does he deserve it?

@brelic  Rad's previous point was dead on. The *ONLY* player ever to win a Memorial Cup, Calder Cup, Stanley Cup and a Olympic Gold Medal and World Junior Gold Medal....that is just flat out amazing. That is gonna be a VERY tough record to break. Sneaking in that Calder Cup is the tough one....Mike was only down there cause there was a NHL strike and the Kitchener Rangers got knocked out of playoffs.

Richards haters can say what they want, but it was not a coincidence that he won all those championships, the guy is a winner, flat out. Not only did he win Gold at the World Jr's, he was Captain of that team, who had Crosby, Weber, Seabrooke, Bergeron, Perry, Getzlaf...on and on with the world class talent.....that roster was LOADED, and Mike was bestowed with the C....that is impressive in my books.

That's a fluke.  He just happened to be all those places.  He's like Forrest Gump.

Do you think Carter (496 points, a .73ppg, and 2 cups) has had an impressive career too? I know it's not over, but so far? He doesn't even get a fraction of praise from Flyers fans as Richards does, but does he deserve it?

7 time 20-goal scorer (twice in the 30s and once in the 40s). Solid goal scorer. Again, I think we got Carter's best years, hands down. I'd say he's also had a very nice career. He was a big factor in LA's 2nd Cup run.

I can't speak for others, but for me, it just always looked like Carter was a much bigger floater than Richards, and for a big guy plays such a soft game. Nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't really like watching him. I'd much rather watch Jake and G 11 times out of 10.

7 time 20-goal scorer (twice in the 30s and once in the 40s). Solid goal scorer. Again, I think we got Carter's best years, hands down. I'd say he's also had a very nice career. He was a big factor in LA's 2nd Cup run.

I can't speak for others, but for me, it just always looked like Carter was a much bigger floater than Richards, and for a big guy plays such a soft game. Nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't really like watching him. I'd much rather watch Jake and G 11 times out of 10.

What's the difference between impressive and very nice? They both have 2 cups, both played a big role in at least 1 of them, and Carter has more points. So why is Richards impressive and Carter gets a pat on the head? Carter definitely floated more when he was here, but the numbers are in his favor, no?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived