anyone worried?

briere48

I'm in agreement. But That said, I don't see the point of another middling first rounder. They do okay with lower first round picks. This is a special year. If they're not going high, I could honestly care less if they go to the playoffs and draft #16 I instead of # 13.

This team is not a contender. The last thing they need is to think they are contenders. Besides the fact that they would get a worse draft pick, a better record, and possibly even *gasps* a playoff spot, would be bad. Sucking most of the year and barely squeaking in is not good for morale. What the Kings did? That's the exception, not the rule. You don't normally want your team to float most of the season and squeak in, because they ain't gonna go far.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@fanaticV3.0

RE: the KIngs 2013-14

there is a difference for what qualified for the playoffs in the Western conference and what qualified in the eastern conference. the LA Kings "squeaked into" the playoffs with 100 pts.

the East had 3 teams with 96 or less that qualified and yes the Flyers were one, the west had only one team with 100 pts or fewer.

2011-12 the KIngs had 95 points, but were 13 games over .500 it's not like they sucked and were lucky to play in a weak division.

This team is not a contender. The last thing they need is to think they are contenders. Besides the fact that they would get a worse draft pick, a better record, and possibly even *gasps* a playoff spot, would be bad. Sucking most of the year and barely squeaking in is not good for morale. What the Kings did? That's the exception, not the rule. You don't normally want your team to float most of the season and squeak in, because they ain't gonna go far.

Well the Kings look to need the same miracle this year. They're almost as bad as us right now.

Still I think the taste of 2010 lingers for the flyers front office.

Top seeds... I don't know. Only one team can win the cup and its usually the one playing the best at the right time and rarely the one that played the best all year.

That said, you need to have the ability to be the best team AT SOME POINT which is something you're definitely right about, this bunch does not have that.

I think he's half right and half not so much.

inalso don't think he realizes exactly how good the top two this year are supposed to be. It' sounds like Crosby and Giroux in the same draft (though G wasn't rated as high when drafted).

And we're not mad at the pens for being bad one year to get one pick. They were bad for FIVE years to get five picks. Scratch that, they were bad for FOUR years and got five picks because the league cheated Crosby's draft year and gave the Penguins the same weight in the lottery as if they'd been last place when in fact there had been no hockey that year.

Yor bad and you get a high draft pick to hopefully make it better.

But this is all academic and just a few of the MANY reasons to hate the Penguins.

(And I want it noted I actually respect that team a lot more these past few seasons and am not half as annoyed by them any more because they are playing a more respectable game and have faced some legit adversity and still winning).

I don't think its worth the flyers while to win this year and have given them psychological permission to tank (though preferably not intentionally) because they truly are a terrible team that was horribly constructed and is incredibly poorly coached and that needs to change.

We have much in the wings waiting to grow up and be great for this team. They don't Need McDavid or Eichel to be good again. They need to shed dead weight and for their king talent to grow and develop and they need to fill out a few roster spots with quality, no superstar level players.

Still. Who doesn't effin want a shot at McDavid!?!?

Now as far as tanking intentionally, that really IS the last thing you or I want because if they do it in purpose and Hexy knows it, then Berube will still be the one coaching McDavid for another 2 or 3 years because he won't have been last place on his own bad coaching skills.

Please God no!

Best bet, the flyers trade everyone they can not named G or Jake or Mason (though I'd consider it for the right deal) clea cap space galore and just lose naturally playing all rookies (Haag, Laughton) and old men (Cocoa, Schultz, Timmo)

Otherwise we can just hope for another surprise diamond find in the middle of the first round again. (Let's just forget about Downie).

You're not a real person. Real people don't say this. 12-years old and under can get away with it because...they're kids. But if you are an adult or even a young adult and these words come out of your mouth, you need to see a medical professional and have a physical. You might be a robot.

@fanaticV3.0

RE: the KIngs 2013-14

there is a difference for what qualified for the playoffs in the Western conference and what qualified in the eastern conference. the LA Kings "squeaked into" the playoffs with 100 pts.

the East had 3 teams with 96 or less that qualified and yes the Flyers were one, the west had only one team with 100 pts or fewer.

2011-12 the KIngs had 95 points, but were 13 games over .500 it's not like they sucked and were lucky to play in a weak division.

That's not my point. My point is I don't want to make the playoffs at all, because even if they did, they aren't going on a run like those Kings teams. Making the playoffs would be the worst thing for this team. Then they are stuck in limbo. There are no long term benefits to making the playoffs this year, whereas not making it and getting a better draft pick has big potential (depending on what spot we get).

I think he's half right and half not so much.

inalso don't think he realizes exactly how good the top two this year are supposed to be. It' sounds like Crosby and Giroux in the same draft (though G wasn't rated as high when drafted).

And we're not mad at the pens for being bad one year to get one pick. They were bad for FIVE years to get five picks. Scratch that, they were bad for FOUR years and got five picks because the league cheated Crosby's draft year and gave the Penguins the same weight in the lottery as if they'd been last place when in fact there had been no hockey that year.

Yor bad and you get a high draft pick to hopefully make it better.

But this is all academic and just a few of the MANY reasons to hate the Penguins.

(And I want it noted I actually respect that team a lot more these past few seasons and am not half as annoyed by them any more because they are playing a more respectable game and have faced some legit adversity and still winning).

I don't think its worth the flyers while to win this year and have given them psychological permission to tank (though preferably not intentionally) because they truly are a terrible team that was horribly constructed and is incredibly poorly coached and that needs to change.

We have much in the wings waiting to grow up and be great for this team. They don't Need McDavid or Eichel to be good again. They need to shed dead weight and for their king talent to grow and develop and they need to fill out a few roster spots with quality, no superstar level players.

Still. Who doesn't effin want a shot at McDavid!?!?

Now as far as tanking intentionally, that really IS the last thing you or I want because if they do it in purpose and Hexy knows it, then Berube will still be the one coaching McDavid for another 2 or 3 years because he won't have been last place on his own bad coaching skills.

Please God no!

Best bet, the flyers trade everyone they can not named G or Jake or Mason (though I'd consider it for the right deal) clea cap space galore and just lose naturally playing all rookies (Haag, Laughton) and old men (Cocoa, Schultz, Timmo)

Otherwise we can just hope for another surprise diamond find in the middle of the first round again. (Let's just forget about Downie).

He's not even a quarter right. Even if I were to completely ignore the fact he's lecturing people how to behave as fans, he's dead wrong from a hockey perspective. What would this team gain by making the playoffs this year? What value does it have? Makes the old man happy and convinces him they are a "competitive" organ-I-zation? Makes him sleep better at the end of the day? Something else I'm not picking up on? It isn't about this season. Scratch that, it shouldn't be, but they seem hell-bent on trying to make some fruitless playoff push.

That's not my point. My point is I don't want to make the playoffs at all, because even if they did, they aren't going on a run like those Kings teams. Making the playoffs would be the worst thing for this team. Then they are stuck in limbo. There are no long term benefits to making the playoffs this year, whereas not making it and getting a better draft pick has big potential (depending on what spot we get).

i see.

and that makes sense.

thanks

He's not even a quarter right. Even if I were to completely ignore the fact he's lecturing people how to behave as fans, he's dead wrong from a hockey perspective. What would this team gain by making the playoffs this year? What value does it have? Makes the old man happy and convinces him they are a "competitive" organ-I-zation? Makes him sleep better at the end of the day? Something else I'm not picking up on? It isn't about this season. Scratch that, it shouldn't be, but they seem hell-bent on trying to make some fruitless playoff push.

You cannot be serious, even if you are an adult you're certainly not thinking like one. Nothing to be gained, from a hockey perspective, for trying to make the playoffs (which isn't likely) and trying to win games. Is there something else you're not picking up on? Absolutely. The team is mediocre, we all agree with that. They will finish with a mediocre record. But you're dead wrong in thinking the only thing to accomplish at this point is a high draft pick. You're dead wrong in thinking they'll get better by giving up. Working together as a team to fight through a string of injuries and a difficult season. Battling through adversity, and a lot of it. Personal and team pride. In the unlikely scenario they make the playoffs, their experience in that environment is not valuable to you? These are professional and competitive guys (for the most part): what benefit--mental, physical, financial, or otherwise--do they gain as a team to give up halfway through the season? Giving up, tanking, stop competing, quitting on the season--these are things that make sense to you from a hockey perspective.

Topics like this really rub me the wrong way. No true Flyers fan really wants the team to tank and fold half the season in for the chance to *maybe* pick up one guy from the draft. No true fan really thinks this team is one draft pick away from winning a cup. All this hand wringing and complaining about how the Flyers are doing the wrong thing by trying to win games is completely hypocritical. How much **** have supposed Flyers fans given the Pens posters about doing them same thing to acquire Lemieux and Crosby and Malkin and now whining about NOT doing the same thing. It's sad. You're sad.

Great post, thank you.

Vince Lombardi is famously quoted as saying, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." And apparently he did say it on more than one occasion, but he also said that he originally meant to say, "Winning isn't everything. The will to win is the only thing." You want players who have the will to win, not players who will mail it in because the season looks lost. You build with that kind of player. If it means just making (or just missing) the playoffs so be it. Building a winning culture is more important than winning the lottery, as Edmonton has very clearly demonstrated.

You cannot be serious, even if you are an adult you're certainly not thinking like one. Nothing to be gained, from a hockey perspective, for trying to make the playoffs (which isn't likely) and trying to win games. Is there something else you're not picking up on? Absolutely. The team is mediocre, we all agree with that. They will finish with a mediocre record. But you're dead wrong in thinking the only thing to accomplish at this point is a high draft pick. You're dead wrong in thinking they'll get better by giving up. Working together as a team to fight through a string of injuries and a difficult season. Battling through adversity, and a lot of it. Personal and team pride. In the unlikely scenario they make the playoffs, their experience in that environment is not valuable to you? These are professional and competitive guys (for the most part): what benefit--mental, physical, financial, or otherwise--do they gain as a team to give up halfway through the season? Giving up, tanking, stop competing, quitting on the season--these are things that make sense to you from a hockey perspective.

Funny, I was just about to say the same thing to you. Your first post was bad enough, but this ra-ra crap really sent my gag reflexes into overdrive.

If you think there's more to be gained by making a playoff push this year, more power to ya fella. Ain't nothing I or anyone else can say to convince you otherwise.

Funny, I was just about to say the same thing to you. Your first post was bad enough, but this ra-ra crap really sent my gag reflexes into overdrive.

If you think there's more to be gained by making a playoff push this year, more power to ya fella. Ain't nothing I or anyone else can say to convince you otherwise.

i agree with your post, this is why the flyers will never win anything because if they do make it to the playoffs, they wont move pieces, probably keep berube(not saying they will but you never know because we have morons at the fo), it will be the same bs again, again, again, again and again. it will be grandhog day for flyers fans until new ownership comes in. not saying it will, but i got a bad feeling it might.

it's sad how this ownership doesnt even know how to build a chamionship, even i dont trust hextall unless we really tries to get rid of all the deadwight, if all the deaddweight and berube is here next year, we are doomed until new ownership comes along.

I want the Flyers players and coaches to do everything in their power to win games.  The Vince Lombardi quote is apt, but more importantly (and selfishly) it makes it bearable to watch the fricken games.

But ultimately, I want them to fail at it.  Not because I hate the Flyers but because I do agree it serves them better in the long-term to miss the playoffs this year.  Grow from the effort, but benefit from the draft pick.

I don't want them to "not try."  There's no benefit short- or long-term from having a team learn to not give effort and/or reinforcing that lesson with an organization that gives the appearance of not trying.

i agree with your post, this is why the flyers will never win anything because if they do make it to the playoffs, they wont move pieces, probably keep berube(not saying they will but you never know because we have morons at the fo), it will be the same bs again, again, again, again and again. it will be grandhog day for flyers fans until new ownership comes in. not saying it will, but i got a bad feeling it might.

it's sad how this ownership doesnt even know how to build a chamionship, even i dont trust hextall unless we really tries to get rid of all the deadwight, if all the deaddweight and berube is here next year, we are doomed until new ownership comes along.

This is the other part of it. It's not just that lone first around pick. There's a whole draft to work with and you can increase your changes of getting better by acquiring more picks or prospects currently playing in other team's organizations. If I'm in charge of this team right now, I'm trading what few assets we have (that don't damage the future) so that I don't have to worry about them making a run at the playoffs. Streit is gone if I'm the GM. I'm not talking about making the playoffs this year. F-ck that nonsense.

ra-ra crap. that's hilarious. this is coming from a supposed fan who believes there's more to be gained from playing to lose than learning to win. GG.

with kane possibly going to buffalo, we have no options at left wing, i dont what hextall is planning, if makes no moves at the deadline or in the offseason and keeps berube, the flyers are pretty much the phillies, sixers bad for another 5 years, maybe more. i mean yes homer is to blame but hextall is not doing any favors to get rid of players off the cap.

@briere48

Kane wasn't an option at LW. Buffalo basically gave up a player, a 1st and two damn good prospects for him. If hextall did that I would have been pissed.

As for Hextall not doing us any favours....would YOU trade FOR Umberger, VLC, McDonald, etc? If we don't want these guys why would anyone else?

with kane possibly going to buffalo, we have no options at left wing, i dont what hextall is planning, if makes no moves at the deadline or in the offseason and keeps berube, the flyers are pretty much the phillies, sixers bad for another 5 years, maybe more. i mean yes homer is to blame but hextall is not doing any favors to get rid of players off the cap.

The Flyers had no options at left wing WITH Kane - he's not playing at all this season. Still could be available in the off season, but as FC notes the price tag will be far higher than the Flyers will want to pay.

I expect the team to buy out Umburglar if they can't deal him (I'd retain salary up to the point that it would be the same as a buyout for a shorter term) and maybe give away something to get someone to take VLC.

Not sure what else you expected Hextall to be able to do with all of the problems #homercoaster left in his wake.

@briere48

Kane is making 6mm this year, next year and the following year. 

I am not too sure you aware of this little detail that has been in-place since the 2005-06 season, but it's called the salary cap. And unfortunately the Flyers happen to up against it. 

Buffalo gave up Meyers (who happens to have to potential of a franchise defender), a first rounder this year, Lemieux (2nd round pick at position 31) and Armia  (who was a 1st round 16th overall pick) and Stafford (who has shown promise in the past).

Is this a good move for either team? Who know, but in the long run I think it favors Winnipeg.

So in comparison, what if the Flyers gave up the following:

Sam Morin (1st like Armia)

Nick Cousins (2nd Rounder)

Sean Couturier 

I can't even use a defender currently on the Flyers that is touted like Myers, so I'll use B. Schenn as a default

and a 2015 1st rounder. 

How would that sit with you? Especially for a guy that is out till next season?

There is always the UFA market for a LW this summer. Maybe

@briere48

Kane wasn't an option at LW. Buffalo basically gave up a player, a 1st and two damn good prospects for him. If hextall did that I would have been pissed.

As for Hextall not doing us any favours....would YOU trade FOR Umberger, VLC, McDonald, etc? If we don't want these guys why would anyone else?

well, what other options are out there then?

To answer the original question posed; I am worried about the following:

1) ISIS

2) V. Putin

3) The lack of double digit expansion in our GDP

4) Ebola, now measles

5) Global warming

6) Global cooling

7) If my 401(k) will support me through retirement

8) If my kids will grow up to be physicians, or any other sort of professional  

9) If my wife will leave me one day for her yoga instructor 

10) If beer/alcohol become illegal again

Nope, the Flyers did not make the list,....

well, what other options are out there then?

The draft, deadline deals, etc...  

Why does it have to be an immediate fix?  Knee jerk trades/signings has plagued this franchise for a long time and it is nice to finally witness some patience.   This is a rebuild not a retooling of a roster.  Kane is not playing another minute this year anyway so nothing would have been fixed this year anyway other than paying someone another bad contract.

Archived