Jeff Petry as good as gone at the deadline - Update: GONE

JR Ewing

petry1.jpg

“We have had no contract negotiations with the Oilers and we’ve expressed that to Jeff,” said his agent Wade Arnott, who also represents Oilers defenceman Justin Schultz. “We expect Jeff will be dealt by the deadline.”

I've watched this dance again and again and again for the last 25 years: produce a quality player by suffering through the development years, and then ship him off for draft picks or player who hit lower in the order.

To hell with these guys... They're not fit to run an NHL team. They actually think they're better off with Petry subtracted from the lineup next year, and a raw rookie in his place.

I've watched this dance again and again and again for the last 25 years: produce a quality player by suffering through the development years, and then ship him off for draft picks or player who hit lower in the order.

To hell with these guys... They're not fit to run an NHL team. They actually think they're better off with Petry subtracted from the lineup next year, and a raw rookie in his place.

What a bunch of maroons.

They don't deserve a McDavid/Eichel type player. 

The fans do... but not the organization.

Bill Torrey said a mouthful years ago: "It's no secret, it's not complicated. Get good players."

I would change it to include "... and keep good players."

The Oilers run their club like a farm team for the rest of the league… Draft, develop, teach, and when they become solid veterans, move them up to a real NHL club for magic beans and/or flotsam & jetsam. This team is going nowhere in a hurry. Get good players, keep good players. They have the first part down pretty well, but the second is completely foreign to them.

Get good players, keep good players.

Sometimes you can't keep your good players, due to a variety of reasons, but in this case, they haven't been bothered to so much as pick up the ****** phone.

@JR Ewing

You know, I honestly can't say I know much about Jeff Petry.

Some have suggested he would fit in with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I know the Bolts could use a shut down, rugged type defenseman, who is also cool under pressure.

Would you say Petry fits that bill?

And if the Bolts are indeed interested, I wonder what the Oilers would require to part with him?

@JR Ewing

I know the Bolts could use a shut down, rugged type defenseman, who is also cool under pressure.

And if the Bolts are indeed interested, I wonder what the Oilers would require to part with him?

I don't think Petry is that guy. Also young still. You need more of a veteran I would think.

I don't think Petry is that guy. Also young still. You need more of a veteran I would think.

Gotcha..thanks.

I guess I will see what Yzerman does at the deadline.

Ever since Radko Gudas went down with injury, the Bolts really have a need for a shut down type guy...although Gudas himself is still pretty young, he played a real tough game.

That is sorely missing these days from the blue line. They brought up Luke Witkowski, a tough AHL defender, but he seems out of his element playing against even mid level NHL forwards.

The ship has probably sailed on Keith Aulie...and there is no guarantee Aulie would help the Bolts now, or if he even would develop into a good shut down D-man like I thought he would (I am thinking late bloomer, ala Jason Cullimore with him), but I was thinking why not try getting him back from the Oilers.

But you are probably right: Bolts most likely need a veteran, stay-at-home type to offset the guys they have jumping into plays and someone who will do more than just stick check.

@JR Ewing

Petry has been forced to play top pairing minutes against tough comp, and has played very well, but he's not a rugged shut-down kind of player.

-Plus speed

-Plus shot

-Moves the puck well out of his end. The sort of defenseman that doesn't get tons of points, but the team scores more goals while he is on the ice.

-The Oilers give up significantly fewer shots against in the home plate area in front of their net, and have significantly more shots for in the opposition home plate area while Petry is on the ice.

-An entire side-point on hitting, as it pertains to Jeff Petry:

2012 - 49th among defensemen in hits, just ahead of Drew Doughty.

2013 - 13th among defensemen in hits, tied with Shea Weber.

2014 - 17th among defensemen in hits, one more than Drew Doughty.

We're talking about a strong Corsi defenseman who also hits as much as meatheads that can't move the puck remotely as well. In 2013, Jeff Petry would have been the leader in hits for 22 teams, and in 2014, he would have been the leader for 18 teams. He does hit a lot for a defenseman.

But, if you're looking for a rugged, mean and nasty guy to play against, is Petry that player? No.

However, is Petry better than most of the guys in that player type, particularly among those who are available? Almost assuredly. There's light years of distance between Petry and Aulie, since you mention him.

What would the Oilers want or realistically hope to get? I have no idea. I'm sure they look at Steve having two 1st round picks and would like one, but would they get it? Who the hell knows?

@JR Ewing

I am of two minds when it comes to Petry, as are most Oilers fans. I read comments about him among the teams fan base, half are saying my God, why do you deal him and the other half are saying get rid of him, he is a bum.

And that is where I am at. For whatever reason, I truly do not think I have ever seen him have a good game against the Wings. On not one but two occasions he has tipped a puck into his own net, Datsyuk has made him look foolish (no shame there he does that to a lot of players) and his clearing passes seem ill timed.

But I also remember a game against the Kings last year, I was up, couldn't sleep and the Oilers in hi-def at home look better than any other team by far for some reason. Anyway, this game Petry was like plus three, carried the puck the was arguably the best player on the ice that night for either team.

And that is where he is at. One night great the next horrid. Of course a lot of that has to do with having Scrubbins and Fasth in net and being paired with the arson squad on defense. In the right situation he might flourish.

He is among the guys I hope the Wings go after, about third on my list behind Jack Johnson and then Sekera. I see Petry as a nice consolation prize for someone for the stretch drive. If they think he is Bobby Orr they are mistaken but on his good nights he is damn good.

@JR Ewing

I am of two minds when it comes to Petry, as are most Oilers fans. I read comments about him among the teams fan base, half are saying my God, why do you deal him and the other half are saying get rid of him, he is a bum.

And that is where I am at. For whatever reason, I truly do not think I have ever seen him have a good game against the Wings. On not one but two occasions he has tipped a puck into his own net, Datsyuk has made him look foolish (no shame there he does that to a lot of players) and his clearing passes seem ill timed.

But I also remember a game against the Kings last year, I was up, couldn't sleep and the Oilers in hi-def at home look better than any other team by far for some reason. Anyway, this game Petry was like plus three, carried the puck the was arguably the best player on the ice that night for either team.

And that is where he is at. One night great the next horrid. Of course a lot of that has to do with having Scrubbins and Fasth in net and being paired with the arson squad on defense. In the right situation he might flourish.

He is among the guys I hope the Wings go after, about third on my list behind Jack Johnson and then Sekera. I see Petry as a nice consolation prize for someone for the stretch drive. If they think he is Bobby Orr they are mistaken but on his good nights he is damn good.

I think that's all a pretty fair take on Petry. He is by no means an All-Star, and is playing higher up in the batting order than he should, because Oilers, and I think that's part of the reason that he can be uneven by eye: he's seeing competition that he shouldn't be on against as much as he is. Not a top pairing defenseman. On a playoff team, he'd be a very good 2nd pairing guy.

The "he's a bum" crowd mostly feel that he's completely inept defensively, because most equate hitting 100% to defense as opposed to it being a part of a player's defensive game. And, as noted before, he does hit... He's just not nasty and mean. Essentially, they want Jason Smith playing all 6 spots on defense, and anybody who doesn't play that style is a creampuff, and we all know that you shouldn't suffer a creampuff to live.

But, the real reason those fans are wrong to want Petry gone like this is very simple: he's better than anything the Oilers have to replace him with, just like most of the rest of the players who have been sent packing over the last quarter century.

I'll bet you anything that MacTavish's real plan is to drive a dump truck full of money to Johnny Boychuk's door and say "How about coming back to the 'Chuk, John Boy?" They'd rather overpay a guy in his decline phase than keep a good player in his prime years.

Because Oilers.

Just for you.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/02/16/edmonton-oilers-lack-of-negotiation-with-jeff-petry-utterly-inexplicable/

Man that -47 over the last 2 years is just hard to ignore....yuck.....-65 for his career.

Man that -47 over the last 2 years is just hard to ignore....yuck.....-65 for his career.

Does look ugly. But you do have to factor in that the Oilers as a team are -60 in goal differential this season and were -67 last season.

In the shortened season they were -9 and Petry was +1.

Take it for what it's worth. Whatever that is :)

Just for you.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/02/16/edmonton-oilers-lack-of-negotiation-with-jeff-petry-utterly-inexplicable/

Does look ugly. But you do have to factor in that the Oilers as a team are -60 in goal differential this season and were -67 last season.

In the shortened season they were -9 and Petry was +1.

Take it for what it's worth. Whatever that is :)

Yes, that's basically what I was going to say. Petry gets the most minutes, with the toughest defensive zone starts, against the toughest comp, with the worst goalies, with some of the lowest scoring forwards, on the worst team in the league. Across the history of the NHL, 100% of players would have their +/- number (which isn't a defensive stat) punished.

Yes, that's basically what I was going to say. Petry gets the most minutes, with the toughest defensive zone starts, against the toughest comp, with the worst goalies, with some of the lowest scoring forwards, on the worst team in the league. Across the history of the NHL, 100% of players would have their +/- number (which isn't a defensive stat) punished.

Ok well i'll trade you Coburn for him.

Ok well i'll trade you Coburn for him.

Sight unseen? I know you don't trust that.

By the way, I'm not saying that Petry is great. I'm saying that he's an actual NHL defenseman entering his prime years, with nobody in sight within the organization who can play his minutes. The Oilers would have to be as moronic as we all know they are to just let him walk for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I'm not sure how much of that is you kidding or being serious, so not really sure how to respond. So yeah... Nice hip check, and brutal own goal. For sure.

I'm being serious i don't know enough about Petry to make a complete evaluation of his play. I would be willing to swap Coburn for him maybe a change would do the both some good.

And now just for a laugh....

I'm being serious i don't know enough about Petry to make a complete evaluation of his play. I would be willing to swap Coburn for him maybe a change would do the both some good.

I imagine the Oilers would jump on it because they seemed to have wanted Coburn for a long time, not to mention the extra year on the contract. Aside from that, I would definitely not want to judge players based on hilites. Even the best defensemen get burned sometimes, or just crap the bed. There's not a lot of youtube clips featuring 15 minutes of a guy making dependable/safe plays.

And now just for a laugh....

LOL!

I imagine the Oilers would jump on it because they seemed to have wanted Coburn for a long time, not to mention the extra year on the contract

Is Petry a UFA or is he signed beyond this year??? I would need to do more research on him to truly say if this would be a fair trade i'm not real familiar with the guy i don't watch much Oiler hockey.

Archived