Kinda Glad Phaneuf & Kessel Weren't Traded... I want to see them suffer!

leafs.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

As the two "leaders" on the Toronto Maple Leafs, I think it's a deserving punishment that both players should have to finish out the season on a losing club, neither one getting any whiff of the playoffs. Quite frankly, neither player deserves to be in the playoffs with the overall effort put forth this season. It always seems like a cop-out when a player can stink it up for five months and then get rescued at the trade deadline to go and win a Stanley Cup somewhere else. Well not these two turds! I'll be happy when they're both gone, but doing it in the off-season is the right thing to do. 

I look forward to Kessel and Phaneuf's post-game interviews for the rest of the season!  :D

@yave1964

Conceding Babcock already, eh?

Spike, there are thirty jobs as head coach in the NHL and at any given time probably ten times than amount of men either climbing the mountain or sliding down it,Babs is in an absolutely unique position, the best coach in the game at the height of his career and a free agent, with a city, a province and a Country that is wanting him.

If the Wings advance to the finals he is gone. There will be nothing more to prove in Detroit and all things being equal nobody can pay like Toronto. Look at the deal with Clarkson earlier in the week, essentially because Calrkson bombed in Toronto he was donated to Columbus and Toronto is going to pay Nathan Horton 20 million dollars NOT to play for them.

When they fired Carlyle, one of the most underrated coaches in the game and the team was in a playoff spot at the time I knew then that the Leafs were toast, the tank was on and the Babcock sweepstakes would begin. Worst case for Toronto, Carlyle gets them to the postseason, they win a series, and the window closes on Babs because no way you can fire Carlyle. Instead, they canned him, brought in some stiff and wrote the season off.

So yeah, i think it is foregone that Babs is Toronto bound, barring an absolute miracle. The question then becomes do we promote Granato or do we promote Jeff Blashill from Grand Rapids where he has done a remarkable job of prepping half our roster in the Wings way?

As the two "leaders" on the Toronto Maple Leafs, I think it's a deserving punishment that both players should have to finish out the season on a losing club, neither one getting any whiff of the playoffs. Quite frankly, neither player deserves to be in the playoffs with the overall effort put forth this season. It always seems like a cop-out when a player can stink it up for five months and then get rescued at the trade deadline to go and win a Stanley Cup somewhere else. Well not these two turds! I'll be happy when they're both gone, but doing it in the off-season is the right thing to do. 

I look forward to Kessel and Phaneuf's post-game interviews for the rest of the season!  :D

You cold bastard... may god have mercy on their souls, for they are the greatest players wearing a toronto maple leafs jersey right now... 

you could trade them to Edmonton!

you could trade them to Edmonton!

The guy they should have moved at the deadline (to help the tank and who deserves to play for a playoff team) is Robidas. Robidas has been rock solid defensively, and any playoff team would have been lucky to have him. The fact that he's still in Toronto gives the Leafs a chance to march to 9th in the standings when they need to be chasing Buffalo.  :)

You cold bastard... may god have mercy on their souls, for they are the greatest players wearing a toronto maple leafs jersey right now... 

I'm feeling evil. (Is there an "evil" smiley face icon?) They are arguably the weakest "top 2" of any of the 30 NHL clubs, both significantly overpaid. Thus, they will suffer! MLSE should keep them around for the entire rebuild (to help the Leafs bottom out and stay there) and then dump them once the team starts improving. :P

@WordsOfWisdom

Hang in there bro. Always darkest before the dawn, next year when Babcock is there things will get better...

I don't think there's any chance of Babcock coming here. He has it made in Detroit. Toronto is a gong show. Maybe if the Leafs were on the cusp of doing something special, I'd say maybe. But the Leafs are falling off the cliff into the abyss. They aren't going to be anywhere in the standings other than 15th or 16th in the east for the next five years. This is going to be like Edmonton east. :confused[1]:

@WordsOfWisdom

Hang in there bro. Always darkest before the dawn, next year when Babcock is there things will get better...

We're back to this discussion again?  I thought we put that to rest weeks ago!

Babs isn't going there because it's a minefield.  Babs wants to win.  He doesn't want a pet project.  He's "Canada's Coach" for sure, but that usually comes with honors, not responsibility...

Babs isn't going there because it's a minefield.  Babs wants to win.  He doesn't want a pet project.  He's "Canada's Coach" for sure, but that usually comes with honors, not responsibility...

Not to mention how backwards and weird it would be to have Brendan Shanahan as your boss.

Agree here, although "win" can be defined financially as well. You cannot deny that temptation. At the same time, if anyone has observed Babcock over the years, winning games NOW has been THE priority, and I honestly don't know where he could go with more potential for that for the next 5 years than staying right where he is.

Not to mention how backwards and weird it would be to have Brendan Shanahan as your boss.

Especially after leaving a guy like Holland. Babs really has it good as far as the owner and GM that he has. It's hard to see that getting better with any legitimate move. He may be posturing, but when he refers to the Red Wing family, there's something to be said for that.

I am not ready to say that he is gone yet. I think if there is significant improvement in our performance in the playoffs, he's staying to complete what he has started.

(First post-game press conference since trade deadline...)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-kessel-defends-teammate-phaneuf/

If you look closely, you can see the "light" leaving the eyes of Kessel as he speaks. Love it! :P  Reality has sunk in. He's on the Titanic. All the lifeboats are gone. Dion is standing next to him on the bow watching the water come over the top. Only seven more years Phil! Join us on our journey to the bottom. :wub[1]:

What's the OVER/UNDER on Kessel demanding a trade? I'll say 4 months. Who's taking the over? Who's taking the under?

It has to be hard to concentrate on playing when the media is out to get you. They are scrutinized non stop. 

I agree with you Sam, Kessel is unfairly criticized for his "attitude" yet anyone would go bonkers with the Toronto media constantly on your ass and criticizing every little thing you do... As for Phaneuf, people simply expect to much from him. But i know for sure both of them are undeserving of the hate they get.

I cant imagine what they go through. All the pressure thats put on them... Only a generational player, good management and good coaching could carry Toronto if they were to get somewhere..

@Podein25

Never seen that one before. Why oh why didn't you post that like a month ago before I traded Big Buff for Kessel in my fantasy league,lol???

OK, remember when I called you clairvoyant? Never mind!  :P

It has to be hard to concentrate on playing when the media is out to get you. They are scrutinized non stop. 

As Doug Gilmour once put it If you work hard on the ice you'll never have to pay for a meal in this city. There are plenty of present Leafs who don't know what the heck he's talking about. I've never seen a group fold under pressure year in and year out than this bunch. Theres media pressure in many cities. It sucks, but comes with the job.

As Doug Gilmour once put it If you work hard on the ice you'll never have to pay for a meal in this city. There are plenty of present Leafs who don't know what the heck he's talking about. I've never seen a group fold under pressure year in and year out than this bunch. Theres media pressure in many cities. It sucks, but comes with the job.

Dougie is right.

I think a big thing to remember about the Toronto media is that while yes, it's incredibly harsh at times, it also praises (or even over-praises) success.

Problem is, we haven't had much of that for a decade.

Dougie is right.

I think a big thing to remember about the Toronto media is that while yes, it's incredibly harsh at times, it also praises (or even over-praises) success.

Problem is, we haven't had much  ANY of that for a decade.

Fixed.  ;)

All Kessel has to do to be loved in Toronto is just take care of his role on the ice (ie: put the puck in the net), smile and answer the tough questions from the media, and stop whining.

Mats Sundin played through dark times here too. He took care of his job on the ice and everything beyond that was out of his control.

Archived