Flyers and Goalie Coach Jeff Reese part ways

Adamflyers

Can't believe some fans want to give this idiotic coach another chance.

He plays a injured goalie to try and make the playoffs to save his own ass. He doesn't hold players accountable and favors certain player, I know not every coach is perfect but Berube makes more dumb decisions then a good coach would.

Flyers need a coach that is patient and willing to teach the young players because we will be infusing them in the lineup the next few years. Berube has shown he will bench them for long stretches and that is not what we want here.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Berube. I think he is a meat head. No he doesn't have the best players, but the players don't have the best coach either.

I've thought this for two years and see nothing to change this thought. But now this thing with Mason and Reese makes me want him fired yesterday.

Meat head. I can't stand him. I said it in the shoutbox, but I'll say it again here: if Paul Holmgren really thought Berube was the smartest hockey mind he knew, there is a very clear reason why he sucked as a GM.

FIRE BERUBE FOR CHRIST SAKE

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150308_Flyers_mismanaging_their_greatest_asset_-_Steve_Mason.html

Living in Ohio I had a first hand seat to the ridiculously good freshman year that Mason had, just insane, literally carried the team to the postseason for the first time ever.

And then, the team had this thing, they tried to reinvent him every year, lets make him a standup goalie, no wait, lets make him a butterfly, a hybrid, instead of just letting him play like he did in his magical rookie year they had the poor man so screwed up that sending him to Philadelphia was the equivalent of putting him out of his misery.

Reese saved Masons career, point blank, pure and simple. He has a million dollar talent and a thousand dollar head, he has been screwed up by mismanagement so bad that Reese wrapped Mason up in a cocoon and told him to just go play hockey and be himself, exactly what he did in is rookie year in Columbus.

Reese overstepped his bounds in the same way that a pitching coach who screams at the manager for leaving a pitcher in past an agreed upon pitch count or an offensive coordinator in football who changes the play that the head coach and yells at the head coach.

Reese won a cup in Tampa with Khabibulin in net, he has saved Mason, his resume is a good one and he will land on his feet. Teams like Edmonton and Arizona should be lined up at his door knocking.

As for Mason, I worry about what will happen now. Talent wise he is top tier, but I remember his last couple of years in Columbus, a friend of mine has season tickets behind the home net two rows from the glass, I go to 5 or 6 Jacket games every year, usually against the Wings or a team i want to see. During commericals and timeouts, Mason NEVER would face the crowd the final two years but instead would stare out at center ice as the fans booed every goal and rode him hard. It is a fans prerogative but negative reinforcement with a guy like Mason is not the way. Not by a long shot.

I hope the Flyers make the right decision on who to bring in for Masons sake. He needs a buffer, from the GM, from the fans, from the coach, from all distractions and that is what Reese offered. Mason is a hell of a talent but needs proper handling, something Reese offered.

@Samifan

Thanks Sami, I tend to leave the Flyer stuff to you guys, but Mason, wow was he insane his first year in Columbus. I have posted several times in here that the best thing that ever could happen for his career was stability at the goalie coach. Now this. Hopefully Hextall has a plan for Masons sake. I have seen glimpses of the incredible kid that he was during his rookie year since he moved on to you guys and Reese deserves a ton of credit for that.

Thanks Sami, I tend to leave the Flyer stuff to you guys, but Mason, wow was he insane his first year in Columbus.

Yes he was and i remember thinking to myself... damn why can my Flyers find a goaltender with game like his????

Why???

Did Snider make a deal with the Devil to give a waiver pickup Parent the power to win two Cups...at the price later of losing the life of the best goaltender prospect the Flyers have ever seen and to forever toil in net for all eternity??? That seems like a movie plot.

Damn if it doesn't seem that way

@yave1964

It's hard NOT to come to the same conclusion that you did.  From everything I read, it really sounds to me like Reese viewed Mason as his project - a very successful project, I must add.  It's hard to tell what would become of Mason if it wasn't for Reese basically resurrecting his career.  So having seen Berube's sheer incompetence in sending Mason to the net when he was not healthy enough to even be a back-up in that game can probably force any normal human, who really cares about what he does, to resign. 

Berube is destroying this team.  I can't imagine Hexy is not seing it. 

im not defending anyone, im just seeing from my point of view that realistically i believe that reese was on his way out meaning it was his last year because i think hextall is cleaning house with the coaches and he told reese that it was his last year and i guess he didnt want to finish the year. for the media to say there was problem between hextall and reese, i dont believe it because why didnt he say something the minute mason put in the game in toronto?

plus why was mason not arguing with berube when he was being put in? it seems he was fine on the ice, he did say he had some problems with his knee before the game but i think he wanted to test it out on the ice in the pregame skate, i guess he felt good enough to play and back up zepp. i dont think hextall would have let mason play if he couldnt move his knee, especially if the doctors cleared him to play or else we would have called up stolarz.

if it was true with reese and hextall, i think it was mason's decision to play/back up zepp, i just think the media is blowing it out of context because they have no clue what happened.

Well I have to explain myself "defending" Berube. First of all, I like having a flyer oldtimer behind the bench. That a side I had no faith in him when he was named the new coach. I didnt see him as a good coach with all thats to it. Isaw him as a guy stepping in and rescue the situation efter Lavy. BUT he did it pretty good. When the roster was set efter the summer I picked us last in the Eastern.. I never thought we could be near a playoff spot. So I was impressed.

I dont see Berube as our long term coach maybe im just curios to see what he can do with a better roster. BUT! I dont mind having another coach, I really dont mind it. I just think Berube have cleared up the mess after Lavy pretty good and saved our honour, it could have been much worse. 

I want good players and a simple game. I dont want a new coach with that master game plan that no players understand when its get down to it. Hard skating, keep it simple but do it well.  

Saved our honor? What is this, some ridiculous B martial arts movie?

Lavy didn't have a mess. Nashville has made that clear.

Holmgren made a mess and we're still dealing with it. Lavy gets shown the door and dumb ass gets a promotion.

Speaking of dumb asses getting promotions, I give you Berube.

@briere48 Reese did say something right away and repeatedly apparently. And Mason had trouble just getting to the bus.

Mason had no business being put into that game even if the points mattered (I'm sorry, but they didn't). It is absolutely disgusting and unforgivable that Berube put him in there.

Meat Head needs to go. I wish they'd do it before the season ends just for embarrassment sake.

Mason had no business being put into that game even if the points mattered (I'm sorry, but they didn't). It is absolutely disgusting and unforgivable that Berube put him in there.

Meat Head needs to go. I wish they'd do it before the season ends just for embarrassment sake.

Here's what I don't understand - why fire Reese and not Berube? Chief is not Hextall's guy, so why the loyalty? Is Hexy under the same delusion that we are a playoff team, and doesn't dare disrupt that?

And why fire Reese the DAY BEFORE the most important game of the year for their slim playoff hopes? It pretty much hinged on that game. 

Reese has shown with Leighton, Boucher, Bryzgalov (like him or not his numbers were similar to when he was in Phx), and now Mason, that he can make goaltenders better. 

Only knowing what has been printed in the media about this situation, I gotta say I don't support Hextall's decision, and it makes me question his degree of independence.

You cannot have insubordinate staffers, regardless of skill or accuracy. Especially open insubordination.

It seems Reese left of his own doing (so was not fired). 

And I don't see anything in the articles that would suggest insubordination. Voicing your disagreement is not insubordination. I don't see any evidence that Reese at some point disobeyed or acted contrary to direct authority. 

If anything, Reese leaving suggests that he felt he was asked to do things that were unethical. 

It seems Reese left of his own doing (so was not fired). 

And I don't see anything in the articles that would suggest insubordination. Voicing your disagreement is not insubordination. I don't see any evidence that Reese at some point disobeyed or acted contrary to direct authority. 

If anything, Reese leaving suggests that he felt he was asked to do things that were unethical. 

That's exactly how I took it too.  Nothing in what we read since Reese has left the team suggests insubordination.  Berube could've caused a career-threatening injury to Mason by asking him to play in that game.  To me it realy seems like quite a normal reaction that any honest, decent professional, who is passionate about what he does, would have.  The only thing he *hasn't* done, but should've, is take Mason's stick and beat Berube over the head with it several times to make him think before making gallactically stupid decisions like he does.

That's exactly how I took it too.  Nothing in what we read since Reese has left the team suggests insubordination.  Berube could've caused a career-threatening injury to Mason by asking him to play in that game.  To me it realy seems like quite a normal reaction that any honest, decent professional, who is passionate about what he does, would have.  The only thing he *hasn't* done, but should've, is take Mason's stick and beat Berube over the head with it several times to make him think before making gallactically stupid decisions like he does.

100% agree.

Hextall deserves blame too for *choosing* to put his star goaltender in that position as a result of poor cap management, and for some inexplicable reason, not using the 2nd emergency exemption that would have given Mason a few extra days of practice and rest.

Hextall (or Berube?) may have told Mason he would only be called upon in case of injury to Zepp, but Berube went with his 'gut' and figured if you're healthy enough to dress, you're healthy enough to play, consequences be damned.

I just fired off an email to my season ticket rep regarding this situation.  I asked if someone could provide further insight into this and I flat out told them that this situation has me questioning whether I plan to renew for next year.  The situation reeks of mismanagement from either the coach or GM or maybe both.  We finally have a goalie that we can believe in and first chance they get, they create a bad situation.  Why should I continue to spend good money on a team that can't properly manage one of their best assets?  This situation creates mistrust between Mason and his coach and the front office.  It doesn't bode well for a healthy long term relationship unless something is done to quell it.  

I don't expect to get any insider info, but I more or less would like the team to know that these types of missteps are noticed by their season ticket holders.

100% agree.

Hextall deserves blame too for *choosing* to put his star goaltender in that position as a result of poor cap management, and for some inexplicable reason, not using the 2nd emergency exemption that would have given Mason a few extra days of practice and rest.

Hextall (or Berube?) may have told Mason he would only be called upon in case of injury to Zepp, but Berube went with his 'gut' and figured if you're healthy enough to dress, you're healthy enough to play, consequences be damned.

I'd like to gut Berube.  There are not words to describe the utter stupidity.

I just fired off an email to my season ticket rep regarding this situation.  I asked if someone could provide further insight into this and I flat out told them that this situation has me questioning whether I plan to renew for next year.  The situation reeks of mismanagement from either the coach or GM or maybe both.  We finally have a goalie that we can believe in and first chance they get, they create a bad situation.  Why should I continue to spend good money on a team that can't properly manage one of their best assets?  This situation creates mistrust between Mason and his coach and the front office.  It doesn't bode well for a healthy long term relationship unless something is done to quell it.  

I don't expect to get any insider info, but I more or less would like the team to know that these types of missteps are noticed by their season ticket holders.

Dear Valued Season Ticket Holder:

Thank you for your interest and concern.  Please know that we value your opinion and concern just as if you were a licensed medical provider or a member of our own coaching family.  Don't forget to renew your tickets for next season as we will make them available shortly.  Due to increase costs, there will be a 15% increase in the price of a seat but rest assured that the Philadelphia Flyers will continue providing the best sporting entertainment available. 

~ Your Ticket Rep.

Saved our honor? What is this, some ridiculous B martial arts movie?

Lavy didn't have a mess. Nashville has made that clear.

Holmgren made a mess and we're still dealing with it. Lavy gets shown the door and dumb ass gets a promotion.

Speaking of dumb asses getting promotions, I give you Berube.

@briere48 Reese did say something right away and repeatedly apparently. And Mason had trouble just getting to the bus.

Hey nothing wrong with B martial arts movies! 

Well, Lavy was not a mess himself, but Lavy+Holmgren+team was a mess. Berube did a pretty good job after that with that material. He straighten up the poor defense from disaster to bad. So cred for that,

If we sack Berube now we have two problems. No coach and a bad roster. I think Hex have to decide if he is gonna go for a good roster now and dont care what Berube says, and then sack Berube. Or get a good coach but who want players the way he want the team to play. Getting an big ego coach with his own "system" often means he wants certain players... thats neccecary not a bad thing but I think we allready have that competence in Hex. Hex needs to find a coach that coach the way Hex want the team to play. Hex allready know what players he want and how we should play, right now Berube can do it for him. 

Hey nothing wrong with B martial arts movies!

Well, Lavy was not a mess himself, but Lavy+Holmgren+team was a mess. Berube did a pretty good job after that with that material. He straighten up the poor defense from disaster to bad. So cred for that,

If we sack Berube now we have two problems. No coach and a bad roster. I think Hex have to decide if he is gonna go for a good roster now and dont care what Berube says, and then sack Berube. Or get a good coach but who want players the way he want the team to play. Getting an big ego coach with his own "system" often means he wants certain players... thats neccecary not a bad thing but I think we allready have that competence in Hex. Hex needs to find a coach that coach the way Hex want the team to play. Hex allready know what players he want and how we should play, right now Berube can do it for him.

I disagree.

First, no coach is better than bad coach.

Second, Berube can't do anything for him. He's entirely worthless. He may actually be dead above the neck.

Fire him now and install an interim. Let him finish the season if you must. But he should not make it past the day after the regular season ends.

With the changes in roster that need to happen, now is the time to start with the new coach.

Dear Valued Season Ticket Holder:

Thank you for your interest and concern. Please know that we value your opinion and concern just as if you were a licensed medical provider or a member of our own coaching family. Don't forget to renew your tickets for next season as we will make them available shortly. Due to increase costs, there will be a 15% increase in the price of a seat but rest assured that the Philadelphia Flyers will continue providing the best sporting entertainment available.

~ Your Ticket Rep.

Is that what they told you? What a DH! Like 'yeah, you're great, we love you, blah blah Oh, and by the way, just lean over a bit, I gotta kick you in the balls.'

Typical...

Is that what they told you? What a DH! Like 'yeah, you're great, we love you, blah blah Oh, and by the way, just lean over a bit, I gotta kick you in the balls.'

Typical...

LOL no no no. I just made that up on response to Adam's post. Ha ha ha.

Archived