Flyers and Goalie Coach Jeff Reese part ways

Adamflyers

Michel-Leighton-and-Jeff-Reese.jpg

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/flyers-part-ways-with-goaltending-coach-jeff-reese/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Flyers goaltending coach Jeff Reese is no longer with the team, generalmanagericon1.png Ron Hextall announced on Friday.

“It was a mutual agreement between both partiesicon1.png,” said Hextall. “Jeff was an integral part of our coaching staff for the past six seasons and we wish him well.”

Reese joined the Flyers in 2009 after eight seasons with the Tampa Bay Lightning coaching staff, including the Lightning’s 2004 Stanley Cup Championshipicon1.png.

The Flyers have had eight goalies during Reese’s tenure with the team: Ray Emery, Jeremy Duchesne, Johan Backlund, Segei Bobrovsky, Ilya Bryzgalov, Steve Mason, Cal Heeter, Rob Zepp.

This seems rather abrupt.  They don't mention a replacement in the little article above.  I wonder what led to this.  Considering what Reese had to work with, I thought he he did a pretty nice job while he was here.  I think Mason credited him with helping him get his game back on track.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a bad move. At the same time, Hextall is moving out all the Holmgren people and bringing in his own people. This should mean that Berube is next.

That's how I took it too...Hexy wants to bring in his own people...Chief may be next to go once the season ends

Hmmmmmm....just thinking out loud here.

Bill Ranford is in his seventh season as the Goaltending Coach with the Kings. He was named to his position on July 10, 2006. Since Ranford joined the Kings the club’s team goals-against average (GAA) has dropped steadily during each of his six previous seasons with the club.

This seems rather abrupt.

I'll say i didn't see that coming. Well it's nice to see Hexy isn't going to keep doing the same thing...........Berube i hope at season end will be next.

Hmmmmmm....just thinking out loud here.

Bill Ranford is in his seventh season as the Goaltending Coach with the Kings. He was named to his position on July 10, 2006. Since Ranford joined the Kings the club’s team goals-against average (GAA) has dropped steadily during each of his six previous seasons with the club.

I'm wondering if he will bring in someone who is an expert at the "puck tracking" technique that Dubnyk has resurrected his career with?  It seems to me in an article I read about him that technique was used with the LA goalies also.

This seems rather abrupt. They don't mention a replacement in the little article above. I wonder what led to this.

Interesting.  The most recent issue I think has been whether or not Mason was ready or not to return.  Could be that Reese and Hextall didn't have the same opinion.   Or it could be something w/r to training for Emery's injury also? 

This seems like an awkward time for a change as the Flyers are in a push to make the playoffs.

It's always puzzled me, how Reese could have been so very horrible as a goalie, so many bad traits and disgusting positioning...but yet he can teach others???  Just how does this work? Do as I say, not as I played?

It's always puzzled me, how Reese could have been so very horrible as a goalie, so many bad traits and disgusting positioning...but yet he can teach others???  Just how does this work? Do as I say, not as I played?

Haven't you heard the age-old saying that goes "Those that can, do; those who cannot, teach" ? 

maybe there is someone available they want to make a move on soon...maybe Hextall is going to be the goaltending coach and teach Mason how to work on his jab and stick check to the back of the shin!!!

Archived