leafs upper management

notfondajane

The story in Toronto is that the team is going into a full "rebuild". (It should be called a "build" because they had nothing to begin with.) Instead of trying to fast-track things like they did under Burke (which failed miserably), they are apparently going to tear the whole team apart and start over with prospects. Every veteran player on this team is going to be gone.

Translation: The Leafs are going to be finishing 28th, 29th, or 30th in the NHL for probably the next five years as they try to mimick the Oilers and collect high first round draft picks.

Over the summer you can expect the following Leafs players to be traded and/or released:

• Komarov
  • Bernier
  • Robidas
  • Bozak
  • Reimer
  • Kessel
  • Kadri
  • Lupul
  • Phaneuf
  • Polak
  • Brewer

Even him eh? He's hardly old. Although playing goal for the Leafs must age you unnaturally....

Yep. I think the goaltending situation will break down as follows:

• Reimer: Will probably be released outright. Trade value: Almost nothing. I think the Reimer experiment is over. The Leafs have had an extended look at what Reimer is/isn't. From the looks of things, he has plateaued. He doesn't appear to be NHL-starter caliber. I think his Leafs career (and possibly his NHL career) is over. He may get a chance to work as a backup somewhere else. The Leafs will likely use Reimer's spot to park their top prospect next season.
  • Bernier: Appears to be a capable starting goalie, but not a "saviour". Has no support in Toronto. Contract is expiring soon (if I recall correctly). Has appeal to other teams. Will not be part of the Leafs plans by the time they're ready to contend for a playoff position again and will be tired of playing in Toronto for a losing team long before then. Will be traded this summer for prospects. 

:)

In exchange, I think the Leafs fill their goaltending spots heading into 2015-16 with:

Starter: Any goalie they can find off the NHL scrap heap that can log minutes and that doesn't mind losing.

Backup: A rotating group of prospects in the organization that will all see NHL playing time.

In exchange, I think the Leafs fill their goaltending spots heading into 2015-16 with:

Starter: Any goalie they can find off the NHL scrap heap that can log minutes and that doesn't mind losing.

Backup: A rotating group of prospects in the organization that will all see NHL playing time.

maybe you could pry Marc Andre Fleury from the Pens! Trade Kessler? Is he a problem?

Yep. I think the goaltending situation will break down as follows:

• Reimer: Will probably be released outright. Trade value: Almost nothing. I think the Reimer experiment is over. The Leafs have had an extended look at what Reimer is/isn't. From the looks of things, he has plateaued. He doesn't appear to be NHL-starter caliber. I think his Leafs career (and possibly his NHL career) is over. He may get a chance to work as a backup somewhere else. The Leafs will likely use Reimer's spot to park their top prospect next season.
  • Bernier: Appears to be a capable starting goalie, but not a "saviour". Has no support in Toronto. Contract is expiring soon (if I recall correctly). Has appeal to other teams. Will not be part of the Leafs plans by the time they're ready to contend for a playoff position again and will be tired of playing in Toronto for a losing team long before then. Will be traded this summer for prospects. 

:)

Sharks offer the rights to Antti Niemi and a 4th

What I said above :)

@WordsOfWisdom

Looking at that list of players you think won't be Leafs next year, if I am a team needing a more than solid 3rd or 4th line center who is about 50% in faceoffs, I am looking at Leo Komarov.

$2.95M cap hit, signed for three more years after this, 28 yrs old, solidly built, can skate well, agitates with the best of them and at his best, can draw quite a number of penalties with his tenacious play.

Only thing that would worry me about him if I am a potential trade partner for the Leafs is, does Komarov WANT to play anywhere else besides Toronto?

Last season, he actually took his act to the KHL because the Leafs didn't offer him a contract.....and he came back this year ONLY when Toronto offered him a contract.

Maybe he has this weird "I can only play for Toronto" fetish.....if so, then no thanks.

But if that isn't really an issue and he actually realizes the NHL is more than just LeafsLand, he could do well on a contender needing a good faceoff grinder with a penchant for hitting opposing players and pissing them off.

Eric Brewer?

He is a UFA and I can't see him wanting to come back to the mess that is Toronto.

He didn't want to leave Tampa Bay, but was unhappy as a 7th D-man on the club....not sure what the deal was in Anaheim.

But if he can be brought onto a team anywhere else that will use him as a regular, he can be quite a nice addition to a blue line that could use a guy with size, who can skate, and even add a touch of offense....Flyers, if he will play for you, look into this guy.

He and Gudas were paired as partners at times in Tampa Bay, and together they made quite a nasty bottom pair hitting combo.

Sharks offer the rights to Antti Niemi and a 4th

What I said above :)

Leafs might win too many games with Niemi, which would be counterproductive to finishing 30th. I'm thinking more along the lines of Evgeni Nabokov. It's going to be like a firing squad, and this will essentially be a human sacrifice.

:lol:

@WordsOfWisdom

Looking at that list of players you think won't be Leafs next year, if I am a team needing a more than solid 3rd or 4th line center who is about 50% in faceoffs, I am looking at Leo Komarov.

$2.95M cap hit, signed for three more years after this, 28 yrs old, solidly built, can skate well, agitates with the best of them and at his best, can draw quite a number of penalties with his tenacious play.

Only thing that would worry me about him if I am a potential trade partner for the Leafs is, does Komarov WANT to play anywhere else besides Toronto?

Last season, he actually took his act to the KHL because the Leafs didn't offer him a contract.....and he came back this year ONLY when Toronto offered him a contract.

Maybe he has this weird "I can only play for Toronto" fetish.....if so, then no thanks.

But if that isn't really an issue and he actually realizes the NHL is more than just LeafsLand, he could do well on a contender needing a good faceoff grinder with a penchant for hitting opposing players and pissing them off.

Eric Brewer?

He is a UFA and I can't see him wanting to come back to the mess that is Toronto.

He didn't want to leave Tampa Bay, but was unhappy as a 7th D-man on the club....not sure what the deal was in Anaheim.

But if he can be brought onto a team anywhere else that will use him as a regular, he can be quite a nice addition to a blue line that could use a guy with size, who can skate, and even add a touch of offense....Flyers, if he will play for you, look into this guy.

He and Gudas were paired as partners at times in Tampa Bay, and together they made quite a nasty bottom pair hitting combo.

Pretty sure he's been horrible on Toronto....and Philly is 9 deep with bottom pairing defencemen. We really don't need more.

Honestly, guys...you could put Ray Flippin Bourque or Rob Blake in their PRIMES on the Leafs now and they'd look terrible...

Nah. Bourque made a career of playing with pretty bad defensemen on his team and holding his team accountable for their play. Those Bruins teams were pretty weak outside of 1 scoring line and Bourque. The casual defeatist attitude I see in the leafs would never have flown with Bourque as Captain playing 30 minutes a game. Even when mike Milbury was coach haha.

There is talent on the leaf squad. But their effort and attitude reminds me of Edmonton during this slide downhill.

Nah. Bourque made a career of playing with pretty bad defensemen on his team and holding his team accountable for their play. Those Bruins teams were pretty weak outside of 1 scoring line and Bourque. The casual defeatist attitude I see in the leafs would never have flown with Bourque as Captain playing 30 minutes a game. Even when mike Milbury was coach haha.

There is talent on the leaf squad. But their effort and attitude reminds me of Edmonton during this slide downhill.

Ok, then, as the thread title suggests, let's just blame Leafs upper management.

They always make good scapegoats anyways.

I wonder if Shanny regrets leaving that cushy office where he handed out suspensions with PBS-like narrations.   :D

Ok, then, as the thread title suggests, let's just blame Leafs upper management.

They always make good scapegoats anyways.

I wonder if Shanny regrets leaving that cushy office where he handed out suspensions with PBS-like narrations.   :D

Funny how Shanahan again got traded for Pronger :)

When is the upper management going to get their heads out their asses and actually try to compete for the Stanley Cup? Please don't tell me they are trying to it!

Spending to salary cap max suggets they are, in fact, trying. 

Yep. It's that bad.

The story in Toronto is that the team is going into a full "rebuild". (It should be called a "build" because they had nothing to begin with.) Instead of trying to fast-track things like they did under Burke (which failed miserably), they are apparently going to tear the whole team apart and start over with prospects. Every veteran player on this team is going to be gone.

Translation: The Leafs are going to be finishing 28th, 29th, or 30th in the NHL for probably the next five years as they try to mimick the Oilers and collect high first round draft picks.

Over the summer you can expect the following Leafs players to be traded and/or released:

• Komarov
  • Bernier
  • Robidas
  • Bozak
  • Reimer
  • Kessel
  • Kadri
  • Lupul
  • Phaneuf
  • Polak
  • Brewer

The only players on that list capable of being "released" are RFAs Kadri and Bernier (who both still have some value) and UFA Brewer (yeah, he's gone).

I could easily see Kadri (Shanahan said he wants him to be part of the core, or something like that), Bernier (best goalie we got, not old yet), and Polak (management loves him as a leader apparently) sticking around. The others are certainly up for grabs. I think they'll keep Komarov around too because he makes too much money for people to be interested, but is one of our few players who hits and plays hard.

Honestly, guys...you could put Ray Flippin Bourque or Rob Blake in their PRIMES on the Leafs now and they'd look terrible...

Well the whole team is a cluster____k right now. The players threw in the towel months ago. If I were Horacek I'd just get up and walk out in the middle of the game the next time the Leafs are down 4-1 after the first period. Has an NHL coach ever quit his job in the middle of a game before?  :)

The expectations for the 2015 Toronto Blue Jays are heavily influenced not just by the team’s own two-decade run of disappointment, but also by the spectacular disaster of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ campaign of catastrophes.

Even at the best of times – and can anyone remember the best of times? – the natural state of the Toronto Sports Fan seems to be something between furious frustration and contemptuous despair. And not without some good reason. Over the last ten years, the three major North American pro sports teams have combined to reach the postseason a grand total of four times. That’s three berths for the Toronto Raptors, one for the Maple Leafs and, obviously, none for the Blue Jays.

To twist the knife a few more painful degrees, all four of those playoff runs were snuffed out by first round losses.

Even looking at regular season results offers cold comfort. The Raptors have won two division titles almost by default, though they seem on their way to a successful run this year. Meanwhile, the Leafs have finished first in their division only once (1999-00) in the last four decades.

-- Article by Tao of Stieb on SportsNet.ca

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/leafs-failures-impact-perception-blue-jays/

@WordsOfWisdom  Can't find the article in the Toronto Sun, but the story above is REAL CLOSE to totally plagiarizing a Steve Simmonds article I read last week.

I found that one on sportsnet.ca by "Tao of Stieb", one of the writers for the Jays.  I just posted a snippet of what he wrote and posted the link.  :)

Archived