Flyers Picking 6-8?

Safe to say we will be picking from 6-8? If we lose today against pens maybe we get to 6-7 spot. Either way our fate is becoming known this summer at the draft, unless, we get the win and get the number 1 pick. Hahahahaha we aren't the pens and crying about moving and bankruptcy. Maybe we should start? Just kidding. But anyways since we will be picking at 6-8 who are we going to pick ? Who will be available ? I'm hearing that some prospects are moving up the chart and o e pushed hannifan to 4. True?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Safe to say we will be picking from 6-8? If we lose today against pens maybe we get to 6-7 spot. Either way our fate is becoming known this summer at the draft, unless, we get the win and get the number 1 pick. Hahahahaha we aren't the pens and crying about moving and bankruptcy. Maybe we should start? Just kidding. But anyways since we will be picking at 6-8 who are we going to pick ? Who will be available ? I'm hearing that some prospects are moving up the chart and o e pushed hannifan to 4. True?

The one mock i seen has Barzal at #8 and then Debrusk with the latter Tampa pick.

6 is a stretch at this point. 3 points up on NJ with 4 games left, though NJ holds the 2nd tiebreaker. 8 is probably tough too, Columbus is playing well. At 2 points up on the Flyers, 4 games to go, and holding the first two tiebreakers, Flyers are unlikely to pass them.

@Jmdodgesrt4

@OccamsRazor

I have a whole thread dedicated to potential prospects with some bios and scouting info here.

here... --->   http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/64625-nhl-2015-entry-draft-top-prospects/

Also here is the ISS Hockey top 30 here ... ------> http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-april-2015/

IMO if the Flyers pick 6-8 then there are still some really good players to choose from.  Remember this draft is deep this year.

Assume McDavid (C ) / Eichel (C )/ Hanifin (D) / Strome (C ) are off the board. IMO these are top 4.  Then you have (in order from ISS) :

• Crouse(LW)
  • Marner (C )
  • Rantanen (RW)
  • Barzal (C )
  • Provorov (D)
  • Zacha (LW) 
  • Werenski (D)

We have no shot at #5.  I think either Crouse or Marner go at #5.  IMO if the Flyers ar at #6 then they get there choice of either Marner or Crouse of whomever was not picked at #5.  I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that Crouse sometimes takes shifts off, even though he is projected in top 10.  One scout mentioned he should not be top 10.  I don't know who to belieev. 

Rantanen seems to have his stock rising, but do we need another RW?  Unless of course he could be Read's replacement. If the Flyers pick at #7 or #8 then I think it comes down to Barzal / Provorov / Zacha / Werenski.  So do you take player of need (LW) or BPA?

Personally I think they should go player of need at LW.  My pick would be Zacha at #8 if he is there.

Pavel Zacha

Ht/Wt: 6' 3"/200 lbs
Position: C/LW
Team: Liberec (CZE)

Pavel Zacha is that big-bodied center with separation speed, good hockey sense and passing ability that team’s drool over. He is still in the process of acclimatizing himself to the OHL (nine points in nine games) but when that process is over, watch out OHL. Zacha is trending upwards, playing a lot better the last couple of games).
Profile from: Eldon MacDonald of The Hockey Writers
- updated Oct. 19th

Pavel may draw comparisons to Eric Staal at the same age. He has excellent confidence playing with the puck in offensive situations and is a very dangerous offensive player. Skating is very good & he can get to open ice and beat defenders. Competes to contribute offense and he plays with a determination to make a difference. Like Eric Staal at this age, will only get better.

Analysis: Craig Button - TSNs Direct of Scouting - updated Sept. 25th

The top Czech prospect for the 2015 draft…a big boy who is pretty physical for his age…he will hit you because that's what he does…goes hard to the net and is relentless on the forecheck, which can be a scary sight for the opposing defensemen…has a strong shot that is both hard and accurate… good one-timer…prefers a shot to a pass…willing, but immature game defensively…goes back to defend the crease and knows how to use the stick in the defensive zone…good on PK where he gets his frame into lanes and just clears the puck when he gets the chance…patient player with good vision, soft hands and the ability to make one-on-one dekes…strong skater with good balance, but needs to get faster. (August 2014)

Big man who has a strong physical game, excellent hands and really good shot. Not the fastest guy at this point but very strong on his pins and well balanced, and uses his size and reach to wear down the opponents. Good in the battle areas and goes hard to the front. At this juncture prefers to hold the puck, try and deke out defenders and shoot than to look for linemates. His arrival in the OHL will be his chance to get better all around, and build an even stronger game., and he has shown solid performances at both ends. Plays major minutes, and despite not being a dazzling stickhandler, still manages to dominate and take opponents off the puck, with strong wall work. He plays strong on the puck and never stops working. Displays a quick release and hard heavy shot. He sees the ice, gets open and has at times, high end touch with his passes along with that vision. This unselfish team first player continues to improve his skating but, at this juncture, where his feet are may determine where he eventually gets selected. Can he improve and be a first line NHL player? That's the question. A member of his homeland’s team roster for the World Junior Under-20 at Christmas 2014.

However, I would not be upset if they take Barzal.  Either way they will get a very good player come draft time.

EDIT:   Here is part of the Scouting Report I found on Crouse that has me a bit hesitant........

He has followed that up by making the World Junior Team and playing an important defensive role on the fourth line and penalty kill. Others have Crouse slightly higher than I do, and while I like him enough to have him in the top 10, and he’s a very complete player, I’m just not convinced about his high end offensive upside right now. Don’t get me wrong, I think he can be a top 6 forward at the next level, there are just some questions about whether or not Crouse has enough offensive potential to be a first line player. He has 18 goals and 28 points in 36 games for Kingston so far this year. At 6’4″ and 212 pounds Crouse is a budding power forward. He has a powerful skating stride, but could work on his first step and acceleration

Riddle me this ? What current Flyer does this remind you of........  Don't get me wrong, I like Coots, but the Flyers have to nail this pick.  Crouse may or may not be that guy.

I like Zacha and Barzal. 

Crouse sounds like a project. We already have Morin. Don't waste another high 1st rounder on a project!

Agree Brel....I like the pick of either Zacha or Barzal.....I could go with Rantanen if he is to replace Read (but I think Rantanen goes #6 or #7)

I hate to say it... but Provorov is really grabbing my attention. Again it depends on who's already taken (if Marner falls due to size? you gotta take him)  After him I like Barzal/Werenski/Rantanen. 

I really think we need to inject some speed into the team this draft.

@flyercanuck

I can't see Marner dropping to 8th.  With today's win..they are now tied with Columbus again.  I would be ok with Provorvo too..... ISS Hockey has him at  #9 overall.  Can't argue with your picks.  Some have argued about Rantanen (RW), but I can see where he could easliy replace Read.  Read might have topped out on his potential. 

Ivan Provorov

Ht/Wt: 6' 0"/191 lbs
Position: D
Team: Brandon (WHL)

A strong transitional blueliner…a smooth skater that keeps up with quicker opponents and can create some separation with a decent first step…very patient and poised with the puck…moves the puck in a way that will translate well at the next level… always makes forward progress when he is on the ice…shows good patience and purpose in his decisions…strong in the corners…hockey sense elevates the effectiveness of all his other abilities…a distributor of the puck that can head up a power play with great vision…steady and reliable at both ends. (December 2014)

A strong elusive skating puck carrier who is also great with his stick as a defensive weapon. This improving six foot skates head up with confidence great knee bend and drive, holding that extra second and always aware of all his passing options. Attacks with shake and bake head and body moves and gets by defenders on the attack. Reaches quickly on defense. Still needs polish defensively but has upside that will most certainly have his name called. A member of his homeland’s team roster for the World Junior Under-20 at Christmas 2014.

From an article back from TSN in January....

While the debate will rage, I see Ivan as the best and most complete defenceman in the draft. His command of all the situations in the game allows him to contribute and make an impact regardless of what's confronting him. Ivan can make the game look effortless with a brilliant understanding of what's unfolding in front of him either from a defensive or offensive standpoint. His skating, quickness and balance, pinpoint passing, poise under pressure and a great competitive determination align to make him a defenceman who can influence the play and the outcomes in a consistent and positive manner

@flyercanuck

@OccamsRazor

@brelic

Another potential pick I could see the Flyers choosing. Timo Meier. Alot of positive scouting reports on him him. Granted he is a RW, but he could be viewed as potentially replacing Read.

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-timo-meier-the-top-qmjhl-2015-nhl-draft-prospect/?utm_content=buffer6677f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Five Reasons Why Timo Meier May Be the First Player Chosen from the QMJHL in the 2015 NHL Draft

• Excels When Playing With the Best: What draft eligible player has played with the best players and excelled with each of them? For the answer, please contact Jonathan Drouin or Nikolaj Ehlers or Kevin Fiala or Connor McDavid.
  • Willingness to Get Better: The biggest thing that Timo Meier gained from playing with so many star players was not the points he added from their excellent feeds; it was the knowledge that he gained in what it takes to be a star player. He has used that knowledge to make himself a star player in his own right.
  • Big Game Player: The best players reserve their best for when the game is on the line or when the opposition is the most formidable. Watch Timo Meier late in a close game or in a big game like the BMO NHL/CHL Top Prospects
  • Physicality: Timo Meier has learned to play the power game – to use his mature frame to run you over, to hit you hard or just push you around. He is good on the cycle and is learning the North American zone possession game. He will go to the dirty areas of the ice and gets a lot of his goals from in close. He loves to drive to the net.
  • Compete: Timo gives his team a warm flow of energy that is contagious just about every time he is on the ice.

Offense

• Shooting – Release, velocity, accuracy – NHL quality. He likes to vary his repertoire – wrister, slapper, one-timer.
  • Passing – Timo can make ridiculously skilled passes. I have seen him do goal resulting passes through the legs, behind the back at speed or on the back, on the tape, behind the back. He is more of a shooter but he can pass with the best as well.
  • Pro size – At 6’1, 209, Timo Meier provides that mature frame and NHL size that teams are looking for in their top six forwards. He is willing to use that pro size in a physical way whether it is in a net drive, a net presence or in board and possession battles.
  • Finish – He can finish with the best of them. He currently leads the QMJHL first year NHL draft eligible players with 43 goals (17-Mar-15). His trademark is getting himself in the right space to take the pass and make the shot all the time.
  • Vision – Timo possesses the vision necessary to compete and be successful in today’s NHL.

Improvements to make: Timo Meier is a guy who has worked hard on taking the weaknesses out of his game. Like everyone, there is always room for improvement. Here are a couple things that he could still improve upon:

• Skating: Yes, Timo has taken his skating to the next level this year, but he still does not have that separation speed that you associate with a player like Nikolaj Ehlers. He has more a big-man with roll you over or run through you speed. After seeing the difference that the skating improvements have made to his game from last year, I think any future improvements would likely bring similar results.
  • Supporting the defense on breakouts: Timo has a tendency to make long breakout passes with a low probability of success. His and his team’s overall success (Halifax has a very young defense) would likely improve if he made more short passes on the outlet or held back to support the defense to increase possession time.

NHL Projection: It takes a special player to be able to play with the best players like Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin. Timo Meier is that special player who has excelled when playing with the best of players. So if you are a special player who excels when playing with the best players, where would you play in the NHL. Well, the answer is obvious – first line, of course. For the record, Timo Meier was the best player by far on the Halifax Mooseheads when the team won two games with Nikolaj Ehlers away at the World Juniors.

Draft placement: The latest rankings show Timo mainly in the 10 to 15 range. I have him at the upper end at 10 because I believe he has the goods along with the desire to do what it takes to make it happen, mentally and physically, to be a high-end player in the NHL.

Those in the Know

• Quote 1: TSN.ca – Craig Button – TSN Director of Scouting and a former NHL GM, “Timo Meier has taken a leap up the list. It’s not a case of watching him play well and showing strong potential, because I’ve been watching him for three years and have seen lots of positives from him. When I evaluate Meier’s attributes and potential and then compare them to others in the draft, I see a very strong player. He can play the game in three essential areas; skill, physicality and in-game thinking. He knows how to utilize all of those elements to have a real significant role in the game.”
  • Quote 2: Hockey Prospectus – Ryan Wagman, “A bull of a winger, Meier has a very mature frame which he can use, in conjunction with strong puck skills and a good shot to wreak havoc in the offensive end. In spite of tremendous point production in the ‘Q’ and for Switzerland, many are unjustly sleeping on Meier.”
  • Quote 3: NHL.com – Adam Kimelman, NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor, “Meier has a habit of making good players look better, whether it’s Halifax teammate and Winnipeg Jets prospect Nikolaj Ehlers, or Nashville 2014 first-round pick (No. 11) Kevin Fiala at the World Juniors. A big body (6-1, 208) with soft hands and great vision.”
  • Quote 4: Metro News.caDominique Ducharme, Head Coach of the Halifax Mooseheads, “He keeps improving, and that’s the most important thing. He does every little thing to get better, whether it’s on the ice or off the ice; he’s pushing himself.”
  • Quote 5: Future Considerations.ca – Dan Stewart, Scouting Director for Future Considerations, “Meier has really taken his game to the next level this season. He displays a nice shot, ability to make skilled plays with the puck, strong boards play and a willingness to engage in the dirty areas on the ice. At the World Juniors and even before that with his play starting in November really has been impressive as he has continued his strong game both creating offensive chances and playing more of a consistent power game than he showed us last season or even at the beginning of this season.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXG3vkbGiBg

Here are some really good write ups for some of the prospects:

Timo Meier:

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-timo-meier-the-top-qmjhl-2015-nhl-draft-prospect/

Zach Werenski:

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-zach-werenski-the-top-defenceman-in-the-2015-nhl-draft/

Pavel Zacha:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-war-room-pavel-zacha-czech-mate/

Mikko Rantanen:

http://thehockeywriters.com/mikko-rantanen-2015-nhl-drafts-top-european-prospect/

Ivan Provorov:

http://thehockeywriters.com/ivan-provorov-the-next-ones-2015-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

If I had to choose my list... Here it is

Forwards:

1. Zacha
  2. Meier
  3. Rantanen

D-men:

1. Werenski
  2. Provorov

I seriously don't think the Flyers can go wrong with any of these picks and at #7 or #8 I think a few of these players will be available.

Another potential pick I could see the Flyers choosing.

One of the thing that needs to be considered that the Flyers are lacking is size. 

Cousins 5-11 180

Leier 5-11 180

Bardreau 5-10 195

Akeson 5-10 190

Aube-Kubel 5-11 180

Straka 6-0 195

Martel 5-8 165

Fazleev 6-0 180

Laughton 6-1 190

Parks 5-11 190

Goulbourne 5-10 190

Lindblom 6-2 190

If you notice one thing among the future forwards the may have skill but man they lack some size....so unlike the Flyers right. So i would like the Flyers to add some size with some skill in their next draft.

We can't be called the Smurfs that is for the Rangers.....but Flyers need to add some size or they will be getting pushed around for a long time.

One of the thing that needs to be considered that the Flyers are lacking is size. 

Cousins 5-11 180

Leier 5-11 180

Bardreau 5-10 195

Akeson 5-10 190

Aube-Kubel 5-11 180

Straka 6-0 195

Martel 5-8 165

Fazleev 6-0 180

Laughton 6-1 190

Parks 5-11 190

Goulbourne 5-10 190

Lindblom 6-2 190

If you notice one thing among the future forwards the may have skill but man they lack some size....so unlike the Flyers right. So i would like the Flyers to add some size with some skill in their next draft.

We can't be called the Smurfs that is for the Rangers.....but Flyers need to add some size or they will be getting pushed around for a long time.

Agree @OccamsRazor hence if you look at the players that I would like to see drafted they are in deed bigger.

Zacha 6’ 2” @ 210 lbs

Meier 6’ 1” @ 209 lbs

Rantanen 6’ 3” @ 211 lbs

Provorov 6’ 0” @ 201 lbs

Werenzki 6’ 2” @ 206 lbs

Barzal is on some peoples list and he is the smallest listed at 5’ 11” @ 175 lbs.  I'll take anyone of the other five I listed above.

Agree @OccamsRazor hence if you look at the players that I would like to see drafted they are in deed bigger.

Zacha 6’ 2” @ 210 lbs

Meier 6’ 1” @ 209 lbs

Rantanen 6’ 3” @ 211 lbs

Provorov 6’ 0” @ 201 lbs

Werenzki 6’ 2” @ 206 lbs

Barzal is on some peoples list and he is the smallest listed at 5’ 11” @ 175 lbs.  I'll take anyone of the other five I listed above.

Yes BPA i guess...LW is a preference...but they maybe can take someone like i seen in the mock Debrusk with the 2nd st rounder.

Jordan Greenway has better size though 6-4 214.

I hate to say it... but Provorov is really grabbing my attention. Again it depends on who's already taken (if Marner falls due to size? you gotta take him)  After him I like Barzal/Werenski/Rantanen. 

I really think we need to inject some speed into the team this draft.

I think Marner falls due to size.   I definitely take him if that is the case, but that would be so against the grain for the Flyers.  If he's available and they take him, you know for sure that there has been a change in management in Philly.  (I just read OR's post about size, so maybe it's not as against the grain as I thought).  Provorov is who I take if Marner is off the table.

Jordan Greenway has better size though 6-4 214.

I've read that he can go anywhere from mid to late 1st round mainly because he does not bring his "A" game every night.  I totally see where you are coming from, but I want a player who is going to work on becoming better.  Agree he does have the size.

I've read that he can go anywhere from mid to late 1st round mainly because he does not bring his "A" game every night.  I totally see where you are coming from, but I want a player who is going to work on becoming better.  Agree he does have the size.

That is why i was thinking with the 2nd 1st rounder maybe, Tampa's pick that would be a good spot.

Out of all the players ranked in the current top 10....I think Crouse has the biggetst chance to outright flop. He's a power forward, and if he does not take it really strong to the net at the next level, he may fizzle kinda like Zac Kassian did. That is  what worries me the most about picking him that high. The other thing is something fc mentioned a few posts back....the Flyers *REALLY* need to inject some speed in this draft.

The other thing is something fc mentioned a few posts back....the Flyers *REALLY* need to inject some speed in this draft.

I agree and SIZE. Like i listed the Flyer prospects are all mostly on the small side. So some size is needed as well.

I agree and SIZE. Like i listed the Flyer prospects are all mostly on the small side. So some size is needed as well.

That is why I want Brandon Carlo so badly with our second 1st rounder...he takes care of speed (WOW is he fast for a 6'5 kid) and size....and has a LOT of snarl to his game. Having Morin and Carlo on the ice for more than half the time (eventually of course) gives the Flyers an automatic physical advantage. Makes it VERY HARD to park out in front of the net and screen Mason. Morin will probably finish at 6'7 and Carlo grow and inch from his present 6'5....so up to 6'6 possibley....that is some awesome size....and both LIKE to HIT....we need to get Carlo!!

@jammer2

Brandon Carlo

Ht/Wt: 6' 5"/198 lbs
Position: D
Team: Tri-City (WHL)

Brandon Carlo is an industrious, shift-by-shift defenceman who lets the game come to him. He doesn't chase the play and is able to quickly adapt to the pace of the game on the fly. Through maneuvering his way around the ice and making high-percentage, skilled decisions in all three zones, he is able to shut opposition offense down before it begins to take shape. Carlo is a smooth skater who can control the puck very well and get into open areas for scoring chances. That being said, he does and will need help finding offense due to his natural defensive style of play. All-in-all, a towering, defensive d-man that has very few holes in his game and is physically ready to make the next step.
Profile from: Curtis Joe of Eliteprospects - updated Feb. 27th

An absolute monster out on the ice and skates extremely well for his size…a good powerful skating stride and displays good lateral mobility…a mean, nasty, physical player… looks to jump up into the rush and push the offensive pace…possesses a hard shot and does a good job getting himself into shooting positions…good offensive instincts to go with his skating and snarl…ability to make some big body checks…a big minute muncher who plays both sides of the puck…physically he is almost NHL ready. (December 2014)

Projections have a lot to do with selections. When teams see a Colorado-born six foot five defender who handles the defensive side quite well they all look forward to a emerging offensive side to go along with that 200 foot smarts he displays. Very slight for his height, he has plenty of room to grow into a player who can take on into a bigger role. A team will call his name and wait to see if his hockey IQ helps spawn a bigger offensive presence. A member of his homeland’s team roster for the World Junior Under-20 at Christmas 2014.
—Bill Placzek—

I've mentioned this another post, but I hope the Flyers stay away from the October 96 players - Rantanen and Meier. They've got almost a year on their draft peers and to me, that really skews things in terms of what their true ceiling really is.

I really believe that unless a late year player is generational or has franchise player upside (Seth Jones comes to mind), I really believe these are guys you don't select at 6, 7, or 8. In the same token, I also understand the Flyers need some size. With that being said, Giroux has proved size isn't an issue, so as long as said players are smart guys with exceptional hockey IQ and skill, that's what the Flyers should be looking for. To me, when you're picking in the 6, 7 or 8 spot, that should be guys like Barzal, Provorov, Werenski, Zacha, Crouse, etc......I think most on here know I'm a Barzal guy and that's who I hope they target with their first choice.

With their second choice in the first, this where they can get away with getting a late year player. Paul Bittner's name seems to be coming up and coming from a strong Portland Winterhawks system, he might be just that elusive left winger prospect with size the club is looking for. Now, I've also mentioned with that late first, Anthony Beauvillier, another skilled but small forward who plays with a chip on his shoulder from the Quebec league would be my choice, but gut feeling says he might be available in round two if the Flyers are willing to move their 2nd and one of the two thirds they have to move up to get him.

So, if the club ends up with Barzal, Bittner and Beauvillier after the first two rounds, that is a win for me.

That is why I want Brandon Carlo so badly with our second 1st rounder...he takes care of speed (WOW is he fast for a 6'5 kid) and size....and has a LOT of snarl to his game. Having Morin and Carlo on the ice for more than half the time (eventually of course) gives the Flyers an automatic physical advantage. Makes it VERY HARD to park out in front of the net and screen Mason. Morin will probably finish at 6'7 and Carlo grow and inch from his present 6'5....so up to 6'6 possibley....that is some awesome size....and both LIKE to HIT....we need to get Carlo!!

Kid sounds good to me. But some size needs to be added to the forward ranks as well.

Cousins 5-11 180

Leier 5-11 180

Bardreau 5-10 195

Akeson 5-10 190

Aube-Kubel 5-11 180

Straka 6-0 195

Martel 5-8 165

Fazleev 6-0 180

Laughton 6-1 190

Parks 5-11 190

Goulbourne 5-10 190

Lindblom 6-2 190

This group is what they have in the pipeline....the one glaring need they lack is size...very noticeable to me and i'm concerned so unlike the Flyers.

This needs to be addressed.

I've mentioned this another post, but I hope the Flyers stay away from the October 96 players - Rantanen and Meier. They've got almost a year on their draft peers and to me, that really skews things in terms of what their true ceiling really is.

I really believe that unless a late year player is generational or has franchise player upside (Seth Jones comes to mind), I really believe these are guys you don't select at 6, 7, or 8.

Thanks. That is good to know.  I never took that into consideration.   Appreciate your insight.

Based on that info, then I think the Flyers should target Zacha (my choice), Werenski, Provorov, Bittner.

Kid sounds good to me. But some size needs to be added to the forward ranks as well.

Cousins 5-11 180

Leier 5-11 180

Bardreau 5-10 195

Akeson 5-10 190

Aube-Kubel 5-11 180

Straka 6-0 195

Martel 5-8 165

Fazleev 6-0 180

Laughton 6-1 190

Parks 5-11 190

Goulbourne 5-10 190

Lindblom 6-2 190

This group is what they have in the pipeline....the one glaring need they lack is size...very noticeable to me and i'm concerned so unlike the Flyers.

This needs to be addressed.

yup and the players I mentioned do bring the size factor into play.  All above 6ft and greater than 200 lbs.

Zacha 6’ 2” @ 210 lbs

Provorov 6’ 0” @ 201 lbs

Werenzki 6’ 2” @ 206 lbs

Even @jammer2 suggetion of Brandon Carlo is 6' 5" and just shy of 200 sitting at 198 lbs.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 suggestion of Paul Bittner, he stands at 6' 4" and 202 lbs.

Paul Bittner is yet another big physical power forward who is not afraid of traffic or playing in front of the net. He also has the skating, vision and passing skills to accentuate his big-bodied physical presence. Paul had an excellent pre-draft year. His ES 60 of 2.8 was tied for third best of first year 2015 draft eligible players in the CHL (the others being, Lawson Crouse and Tyler Soy). Like his Portland Winterhawks team, Paul is off to a slow start with just three points in nine games. However, he is getting his chances. He had two breakaways in the US Top Prospects game but just couldn’t bury them. Paul just has too much talent not to break out from his slow start.

Profile from: Eldon MacDonald of The Hockey Writers - updated Oct. 19th

Big, long good skating winger who is smart and can make very good plays.
Paul will attack with his speed
but has the awareness to make plays off of it after he has created room. Good shot and will jump into openings quickly to take advantage. He is a winger who makes it very hard on defenders because he asserts with his size, not in a punishing manner, but in an imposing one.

Analysis: Craig Button - TSNs Direct of Scouting - updated Sept. 25th

A big body that is hard to move…possesses a powerful stride that is hard to stop once he gets going…wide skating base allows him to bull his way around the ice and power through his checks…shows some decent hockey sense and awareness…possesses decent vision and quick hands…has room to add some serious muscle to his already impressive frame…has a long reach…physical play could be ramped up…still learning the defensive game, and is raw, but talented, in aspects…combination of size, hands and vision could make him a formidable offensive force in the future. (August 2014)

The kid also has some speed which I know some on here would like the Flyers to address.

Archived