Phil Kessel - Where do you see him going?

When the sun is shining my friend. Just not when it rains

He looks game enough when on an offensive rush. He just looks frustrated and bored when the puck goes the other way. He also avoids the mucking and boardwork.

Again, I'm only commenting on the fitness aspect. When I think about "work ethic" in sports, I'm thinking about the off ice stuff. So when someone used to have a high fitness level, but no longer does, even when playing a competitive sport every other night for six months out of the year, along with around as many practices, training camp, etc., I'm wondering what caused his work ethic to tail off so dramatically.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think Kessel would be a perfect fit in Florida...

he does not like media all to much, and he wont get **** from any fans because...well...there are none in Florida  :lol:

I have to agree.

Florida could be looking to pick up a top flight winger, and Kessel would certainly fit the bill. They also have enticing futures to be enticed by.

Consider me enticed.

That I don't believe. I've fished plenty in my life, and it's work. First, there's the getting up really early. Then there's assembling all the gear, getting the boat in the water (if necessary), getting bait, choosing the right lure, etc etc. If you're jigging, that's a lot of work too: up, down, up down. Exhausting. Nope, can't see Phil fishing really.

Not to mention loading all those cans of beer into the cooler.  Twelve ounces might not sound very heavy, but multiplied by 24 times 15 cases or so can be a daunting task.

Doesn't Kessel have a NTC? With an 8 team list he can say he will go to?

That completely hamstrings you. All he has to do is list the 8 most cash strapped teams, or teams with young talent due for contracts in a year or two, and it becomes a full NTC unless you are willing to take garbage contracts back AND retain salary.

Chicago, LA, Boston, Tampa, Philly, NYR, Pittsburgh, Minny.

Good luck getting any of them to take Kessel without taking their garbage contracts back. Chicago has ZERO chance of taking him. They are going to have to field a roster of 6 rookies next season just to fit under the cap. LA would insist you take Richards. Boston probably wishes they still had Kessel, but realistically, they cannot take his contract even if they give you one back. Tampa has a goldmine of talent and just does not need Kessel. Philly would take him gladly, but only if you took any two of  VLC, Umberger or McDud. NYR could not possibly take him, and the pens already have multiple monster contracts prohibiting them from signing depth. Minny might consider giving you Vanek for him. But then you have to talk Vanek into waiving his NTC when he specifically wanted to go to Minny and became useless.

Yeah, trading Kessel is going to be rough. Which is strange given he is a dynamic offensive talent when he is confident.

If he goes to Chicago, Keith or Toews or Kane had better be coming back to Toronto.

If he goes to LA, Doughty or Kopitar had better be coming back to Toronto.

If he goes to Minnesota, Suter had better be coming back to Toronto.

The bottom line is Kessel is an elite scorer. The Leafs should hang onto him for YEARS if need be until one of the other 29 teams gives fair value back to Toronto. The Leafs are under no obligation to move him. The team isn't going to be a contender for years, and they need to spend to the salary FLOOR (which is where they should be while they rebuild). Kessel can fill space on the top line until one of the draft picks takes it from him.  :)

If he goes to Chicago, Keith or Toews or Kane had better be coming back to Toronto.

If he goes to LA, Doughty or Kopitar had better be coming back to Toronto.

If he goes to Minnesota, Suter had better be coming back to Toronto.

The bottom line is Kessel is an elite scorer. The Leafs should hang onto him for YEARS if need be until one of the other 29 teams gives fair value back to Toronto. The Leafs are under no obligation to move him. The team isn't going to be a contender for years, and they need to spend to the salary FLOOR (which is where they should be while they rebuild). Kessel can fill space on the top line until one of the draft picks takes it from him.  :)

When does that ever happen, though?

If Kessel is traded, expect it to be to a team looking to add without subtracting current core pieces.

Expect futures and, depending on where he goes, salary.

When does that ever happen, though?

If Kessel is traded, expect it to be to a team looking to add without subtracting current core pieces.

Expect futures and, depending on where he goes, salary.

Not possible with the salary cap. Kessel's contract is such that he is a "core" player by his salary.

The only options are:

• 1:1 equal value trade (which is rare but still happens from time to time)
  • 2:1 trade (multiple depth players in exchange for one top tier talent)
  • 1st round draft picks for A-level proven talent (trading the future to win now)

The Leafs are looking at option 3: collecting top draft picks. Any team that wants Kessel for something other than a first round draft pick, is going to have to give up one of their current top players to get him.

:)

I'd be fine with sending Kessel to some team for a role player type & picks, as long as the picks package was good.

If Florida was to send us Jussi Jokinen and his 4 million dollar(for the next 3 years) salary, and their 1st and 2nd(2016) for Kessel......I'd certainly do it.

Huberdeau and Kessel on the top line would make Florida a MUCH better looking team instantly, and we'd be adding the 11th overall pick, and 2016 2nd rounder.  Plus Kessel would only cost them 4 million a year for the next 3 years, with Jokinen's salary leaving.

Do it, Leafs and Panthers.

Do this.

;)

I'd be fine with sending Kessel to some team for a role player type & picks, as long as the picks package was good.

If Florida was to send us Jussi Jokinen and his 4 million dollar(for the next 3 years) salary, and their 1st and 2nd(2016) for Kessel......I'd certainly do it.

Huberdeau and Kessel on the top line would make Florida a MUCH better looking team instantly, and we'd be adding the 11th overall pick, and 2016 2nd rounder.  Plus Kessel would only cost them 4 million a year for the next 3 years, with Jokinen's salary leaving.

Do it, Leafs and Panthers.

Do this.

;)

Another leafs fan, how lovely, now you and WordsOfWisdom can bathe together in your tears of sorrow :)

Anyways, welcome to the site, I'll give you some advice.

Beware of the username's that starts with an R and ends with an N

Another leafs fan, how lovely, now you and WordsOfWisdom can bathe together in your tears of sorrow :)

Anyways, welcome to the site, I'll give you some advice.

Beware of the username's that starts with an R and ends with an N

Ha!!  Thx for the welcome, and the cryptic advice.

And I know I'm just a Lunkhead Laff fan.  Glutton for punishment.  :)

But then again.........I just saw yet another season go by with zero Canadian teams with a legit shot at the Cup, and it makes me a little sad for Canada, but also hopeful for the Leafs.  They're rebuilding, and hopefully will be the next Canadian team to bring that Cup back up north!!

2. Kessel to the Sabres for a first round pick? Buffale has several picks in the first round. The Leafs may not get the top pick but if Buffalo loses the draft lottery...would they deal the second pick for him? The Leafs retain half of his salary and get to pick 2nd and 4th.

That would be a good deal for Toronto.  But, Buffalo would never make that trade.  Kessel isn't going to jump start Sabres into the playoffs.  And, his attitude isn't an asset in a room of young players.

That would be a good deal for Toronto.  But, Buffalo would never make that trade.  Kessel isn't going to jump start Sabres into the playoffs.  And, his attitude isn't an asset in a room of young players.

Yeah, but think of the possibilities.....you could have Kessel, on the same line as Evander Kane ( I call it the "me first line") ....centered by.....mmmmm...could it be....Satan?

Tor: Brayden Schenn, Andrew Macdonald, 1st round pick (Phi), and 1st round pick(TB)

Phi: Phil Kessel and Matt Finn

Yeah, pass on that one. While getting rid of MacDonald is tempting, it's not worth picking up Kessel AND giving up two firsts, including #7 overall...

Ha!!  Thx for the welcome, and the cryptic advice.

And I know I'm just a Lunkhead Laff fan.  Glutton for punishment.   :)

But then again.........I just saw yet another season go by with zero Canadian teams with a legit shot at the Cup, and it makes me a little sad for Canada, but also hopeful for the Leafs.  They're rebuilding, and hopefully will be the next Canadian team to bring that Cup back up north!!

Nope.  :)

That would be the Oilers.

We actually have a thread on this, if you want to throw in your take:

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/64102-which-canadian-franchise-will-be-the-next-to-hoist-the-stanley-cup/

Yeah, pass on that one. While getting rid of MacDonald is tempting, it's not worth picking up Kessel AND giving up two firsts, including #7 overall...

haha. yeah, someone posted it on a trade forum, so I figured  would copy it here to see the hate roll

Tor: Brayden Schenn, Andrew Macdonald, 1st round pick (Phi), and 1st round pick(TB)

Phi: Phil Kessel and Matt Finn

I've come to expect much better from you....you ought to be ashamed.    :thumbsd:

But your Sharks can have McDud  :D

Archived