Oilers win the Lottery

hf101

A line of Giroux, Vorachek and Hall would be straight up sick. There would be so much speed there, coming at you in waves....and all 3 are masters of keeping puck possession and anticipating plays....the puck just magically follow that trio around, it would be such a treat to behold. Hall's stock may have dropped a bit with another set of injuries and disappointing point totals, but he would still require ripping apart the core to acquire his services. Just an estimate, but I'd say it would take Sanheim and the 7th overall pick at the very least. Another package might be Cousins, Morin, Sanheim or something close to that....in other words, the price would be counter productive to Hexy's re-build.

How about a line of Hall - McDavid - Eberle?

4899429947_80a1ef770e_o.png

Hall's been in the top ten scoring twice already WITHOUT McDavid around.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JR Ewing

Halls going to fill the net with McDavid.

Agreed. If they are going to move someone out to make room for McDavid, it ain't gonna be Hall. That's gonna be one hell of a line.

Now, if management can get their head out of their [pocket] and figure out goaltending and defense...

Maybe they should hire Homer. ;)

@JR Ewing

You are probably the only guy I am happy for in this situation Daryl. Mostly because we have been posting together for years and you are a great guy.

But I HATE seeing Lowe get another get out of jail free card.

MacT's presser the other day when he praised failure as the greatest stepping stone to success had me shaking my head. He also apparently thinks you have only missed the playoffs 7 years in a row. The presser was incredibly bad. They must have a chokehold on media over there because nobody called him on it.

@JR Ewing

You are probably the only guy I am happy for in this situation Daryl. Mostly because we have been posting together for years and you are a great guy.

But I HATE seeing Lowe get another get out of jail free card.

MacT's presser the other day when he praised failure as the greatest stepping stone to success had me shaking my head. He also apparently thinks you have only missed the playoffs 7 years in a row. The presser was incredibly bad. They must have a chokehold on media over there because nobody called him on it.

For what it's worth, Bob Nicholson was made CEO of the club yesterday. He's about as connected as any one person in hockey can be, bridges the hockey and business world, and brings a massive rolodex with him. A few days ago, it was announced that he wasn't yet finished his forensic audit of the Oilers. The club won the draft lottery, then two days later, all of a sudden Nicholson's running hockey ops, and that's some pretty interesting timing, imo.

The Boys on the Bus have a new boss, and he's not one of them. That's an item.

For what it's worth, Bob Nicholson was made CEO of the club yesterday. He's about as connected as any one person in hockey can be, bridges the hockey and business world, and brings a massive rolodex with him. A few days ago, it was announced that he wasn't yet finished his forensic audit of the Oilers. The club won the draft lottery, then two days later, all of a sudden Nicholson's running hockey ops, and that's some pretty interesting timing, imo.

The Boys on the Bus have a new boss, and he's not one of them. That's an item.

Best case scenario is those dumbarses have been defrauding the team of funds somehow. Something that cannot be overlooked

@JR Ewing

Why is Chiarelli meeting with the oilers brass today?

Who knows?

Could be an interview.

Could be for an assessment of the organization.

Could be to get his thoughts on the film adaption of 50 Shades of Grey.

Whatever it is, this sounds like something from Bob Nicholson's playbook rather than Kevin Lowe's, that's for sure. It comes across suspiciously like due diligence.

Who knows?

Could be an interview.

Could be for an assessment of the organization.

Could be to get his thoughts on the film adaption of 50 Shades of Grey.

Whatever it is, this sounds like something from Bob Nicholson's playbook rather than Kevin Lowe's, that's for sure. It comes across suspiciously like due diligence.

Lol. Pundits are saying it would be for President or VP Hockey Operations.

Lol. Pundits are saying it would be for President or VP Hockey Operations.

Yeah, I saw the same things, with reports that I read saying that Nicholson was talking to him about something like a President of Hockey Ops position. The same reports also said that Chiarelli brought his family with him, so this was apparently more than just a little morning meeting.

@JR Ewing

I don't know much about Chiarelli to judge his worth. I heard some local hockey pundits saying they thought the Bruins were crazy to axe him, but I'm not sure on what basis they were saying that. What's your take? New blood is new blood, has to be good, no? I guess it's not a done deal though yet eh?

What's the local perspective in Edmonchuck today?

@JR Ewing

I don't know much about Chiarelli to judge his worth. I heard some local hockey pundits saying they thought the Bruins were crazy to axe him, but I'm not sure on what basis they were saying that. What's your take? New blood is new blood, has to be good, no? I guess it's not a done deal though yet eh?

He has some good and some bad behind him, like all GMs in the league. My personal thought is that if a GM's 9 year run includes a Cup and loss in the Finals, you can give him a little more lee-way than firing him because he missed the playoffs on the last day of the season. I've seen talk that there was a power struggle behind himself and Neely, and that the Bruins went with Cam. I have no idea of course.

What's the local perspective in Edmonchuck today?

It was really easy to tell when I lived in the city: water cooler talk, overhearing people while you're out, radio chit chat. Now that I live on the coast, the best I can do (aside from talking to old friends who still live there) is follow the major media outlets, and that's not quite the same thing. But, from what I can tell, people are excited at the prospect of adding a man with a good track record, who brings the possibility of nudging Kevin Lowe from his job. He also brings more experience than Craig MacTavish, who is intelligent, but stepped into the GM job with absolutely no experience, and has been learning on the job, which is extremely difficult.

He also brings more experience than Craig MacTavish, who is intelligent, but stepped into the GM job with absolutely no experience, and has been learning on the job, which is extremely difficult.

I'll say! I'm not sure there's any evidence that any learning on the job has taken place. 

I'll say! I'm not sure there's any evidence that any learning on the job has taken place. 

I'll try to be fair:

-The drafting changed when MacTavish came on as GM, as was noted by head scout Stu MacGregor. He noted that MacT has a "preference for skill" in drafted players, whereas Steve Tambellini was a fan of IQ tests (I'm very serious), psychological reports and drafting Coke machines in an attempt to get a Milan Lucic-type. This change is good, and it sounds crazy to have to mention that a GM likes skill in a draft pick, but that was how Tambellini rolled.

-MacT can find a forward. His signing of Boyd Gordon and Benoit Pouliot and acquisition of Rob Klinkhammer filled needs on the roster.

-But, oh my goodness, he has struck out on goalies and defense acquisitions, and let Jeff Petry swing in the wind before trading him off for late picks. His hiring of Dallas Eakins also didn't come close to working out.

Steve Tambellini was a fan of IQ tests (I'm very serious), psychological reports and drafting Coke machines in an attempt to get a Milan Lucic-type. This change is good, and it sounds crazy to have to mention that a GM likes skill in a draft pick, but that was how Tambellini rolled.

Wow. I find that interesting. But do scouts actually administer IQ tests? Does this kind of thing occur at the Combine? 

I'm interested because in my mind one of the great failures of the scouting profession - and maybe this has changed recently - is that they deliberately avoid getting to know these kids, their character and personalities, other than what they hear from coaches and stuff. They don't interview them until the Combine because they don't want to "like" them or get close to them on the theory that doing so will blunt their objectivity in watching them. Maybe I'm off base on that, but that's certainly something I've heard from guys I know that worked for ISS. I guess they purchase psychological profiles through ISS or other scouting agencies which are done separate and apart from the scouting of their on-ice play. 

Oilers captain Andrew Ferrence interviewed on NHL Network about gettting McDavid (oh, excuse me...the NUMBER ONE pick.. ;)  ).

He says he is excited. Probably understatement of the year.

I probably shouldn't be rooting TOO hard for Edmonton, lest they should get in the way just as the Wild may be ready for a Cup run at some point....but I just can't bear to see so much talent go nowhere like what is going on with the Oilers.

Edmonton needs to clean house at the FO level...if that means getting a Chiarelli in there as rumored so be it...chances are if a guy like Chiarelli is hired he certainly will want HIS people in all positions under his direct management.

Back to Ferrence...when asked about the Oilers, ahem, lack of success, he says "....the FO gets alot of heat...its ultimately up to the players".

Hmmm..he is sorta right, but then, that suggests the players aren't talented or driven if they have been losing so much for so long....that throws things back upstairs.

Of course, I DON'T expect Ferrence to come on a show like that and throw his management under the bus....he's smarter than that.

I give Ferrence a score of 9.5 for giving NHL Network a good interview without dwelling on controversial issues and spinning things pretty nicely there.

Wow. I find that interesting. But do scouts actually administer IQ tests? Does this kind of thing occur at the Combine? 

I'm interested because in my mind one of the great failures of the scouting profession - and maybe this has changed recently - is that they deliberately avoid getting to know these kids, their character and personalities, other than what they hear from coaches and stuff. They don't interview them until the Combine because they don't want to "like" them or get close to them on the theory that doing so will blunt their objectivity in watching them. Maybe I'm off base on that, but that's certainly something I've heard from guys I know that worked for ISS. I guess they purchase psychological profiles through ISS or other scouting agencies which are done separate and apart from the scouting of their on-ice play. 

In this case, the tests weren't administered by the scouts themselves, but by management during their interview process leading up to the draft. I don't know how formal or informal the tests were, or exactly how they were conducted, but Tambellini would often speak about how the organization prized intelligence just about as highly as any other ability.

I have no issue with wanting smart guys on the team, but I'd rather have a not-so-smart young player with ability than a brainiac that can't make or take a pass.

LOL...

The Oilers have said that they don't want to tip off who they're selecting with the 1st overall pick, but the team's twitter feed from last night's game between the Greyhounds and Otters showcased how Darnell Nurse AND Connor McDavid played. Not that it's a mystery who they'll select, but they're the ones that don't want to say anything publicly.

LOL...

The Oilers have said that they don't want to tip off who they're selecting with the 1st overall pick, but the team's twitter feed from last night's game between the Greyhounds and Otters showcased how Darnell Nurse AND Connor McDavid played. Not that it's a mystery who they'll select, but they're the ones that don't want to say anything publicly.

Well, WHO they will pick is still anybody's guess, JR...  :ph34r:

Not like there is a slam dunk #1 pick in this draft or anything...

I have no issue with wanting smart guys on the team, but I'd rather have a not-so-smart young player with ability than a brainiac that can't make or take a pass.

Agreed. How do you feel about overpaid, brain-dead albatrosses none of whom can make a 3 foot pass? 

And do you want some? Flyers have a few.

Agreed. How do you feel about overpaid, brain-dead albatrosses none of whom can make a 3 foot pass? 

And do you want some? Flyers have a few.

No, that's ok. The Oilers already have Justin Schultz.

That kid is gold once inside the opposing blueline, but holy crap......... Can't make a good breakout pass to save his life.

That kid is gold once inside the opposing blueline, but holy crap......... Can't make a good breakout pass to save his life

I didn't realize that. I thought his deficiencies were more of the coverage and reads kind (i.e., mental). In fact, I would have assumed that an offensively-minded D-man would, by definition, be an excellent passer. Go figure. 

I didn't realize that. I thought his deficiencies were more of the coverage and reads kind (i.e., mental). In fact, I would have assumed that an offensively-minded D-man would, by definition, be an excellent passer. Go figure. 

Oh, coverage and reads are a major issues for him, plus lack of size and willingness to get in on the physical side of things. He also has more than a bit of a habit of lollygagging when he makes a mistake: he tends to stand there for a moment, staring at it. As you said, a lot of that is mental; hardwired into his hockey DNA. His offensive strengths are all from opposing blue line and in. Good at finding holes to jump in, has a nice toe drag he uses to get inside defenders, and a VERY good wrist shot. But offense from his own end? Lots of passes in skates.

He's like every other player: he has things he's good and others that aren't his best qualities. I try to accept players based on what they do, more than what they can't.

Given what I've described about him, I think he'd be a more effective RW.

...has a nice toe drag...

Ack, who doesn't these days? Not enough given his other deficiencies. I'm guessing that Shcultz started playing D when he was very young, like a lot of good skating skilled players do, so they can "wheel" and go through the whole team. And then he just stayed there. I used to watch Toews when he was 10-11 (I had a nephew the same age) and he played D then for that reason.

This is one of those cases when i would lose no respect for McDavid if he pulled a Lindros

Do it. No more wasted talent please.

Except that the Flyers didn't win with Lindros and the "Nordiques" won two...

If anything the "wasted talent" in that scenario was in Philadelphia... unfortunately...

Archived