Did the Lightning Steal the Leafs Team Colors?

It's not uncommon for teams to wear similar uniform colors. In fact, most teams (without any sort of long NHL history) try to wear the same two or three popular colors (whatever is in style at the time), and change when new colors become popular. I can however, recall outrage in Boston when Pittsburgh switched their uniforms to black and gold.

No team in the NHL wears red and white other than Detroit, and until the Lightning changed to their current uniforms, no team in the NHL wore blue and white other than the Leafs. Not only did the Lightning take blue and white, they took the exact same shade of blue that Toronto wears. I'm surprised nobody at MLSE complained.  :mellow:

I guess I can always pretend it's Detroit vs Toronto in the first round of the playoffs, even though it'll never happen for real.  :)

MapleLeafs49.pngLightning19.png

@WordsOfWisdom

Why in the BLUE hell is this even a question!!??

Of COURSE the marketing geniuses working for the Bolts stole the Leafs uniform colors, shade of blue and style!

I've been complaining about this since the new uni's were unveiled.

I HATE looking like the Leafs...believe me.

Nothing wrong with the blue n white....but NOT on my flippin TB Lightning.

Bolts were born of Black, Blue and Silver....that is what they should have stood.

They want to change the sweater style...fine.  But to go with a blatant copy of another team? That's just unacceptable to me as a long time Bolts fan.

Even the THIRD jerseys are rips.....they look like the freakin LA Kings wearing the black 'BOLTS' sweater.

I realize it is very difficult to have a unique color scheme because there are so many colors to go around...but Jesus H. Christ, there ARE still ways to differentiate.

Besides...NO team had the blue-black-silver/white like the Bolts had....and there are varying shades of colors to help differentiate as well.

Other things like sweater details with stripes, no stripes, etc....

There were LOTS of ways the Lightning could have gone with a uni reboot.....yet they chose Maple Leafs south.....nasty.... :angry:

@WordsOfWisdom

Why in the BLUE hell is this even a question!!??

Of COURSE the marketing geniuses working for the Bolts stole the Leafs uniform colors, shade of blue and style!

I've been complaining about this since the new uni's were unveiled.

I HATE looking like the Leafs...believe me.

Nothing wrong with the blue n white....but NOT on my flippin TB Lightning.

Bolts were born of Black, Blue and Silver....that is what they should have stood.

They want to change the sweater style...fine.  But to go with a blatant copy of another team? That's just unacceptable to me as a long time Bolts fan.

Even the THIRD jerseys are rips.....they look like the freakin LA Kings wearing the black 'BOLTS' sweater.

I realize it is very difficult to have a unique color scheme because there are so many colors to go around...but Jesus H. Christ, there ARE still ways to differentiate.

Besides...NO team had the blue-black-silver/white like the Bolts had....and there are varying shades of colors to help differentiate as well.

Other things like sweater details with stripes, no stripes, etc....

There were LOTS of ways the Lightning could have gone with a uni reboot.....yet they chose Maple Leafs south.....nasty.... :angry:

Yeah. It's really surprising. I flip the TV on, and with the players moving at speed, it's like Detroit vs Toronto. They just deleted the Leaf and stuck a bolt on there. Everything else is the same, especially given that the Leafs have changed the stripes around on the uniform over the years.

Nobody would ever confuse the Buffalo Sabres or St. Louis Blues with the Leafs, and those teams wear blue. But they toss an extra color in there and pick a different shade of blue. When the Lightning switched to their current jerseys my first thought was *cough* ripoff *cough*. 

Glad we're on the same page. :)

EDIT:  Maybe it's a Tampa Bay thing!!! Your Rays also stole the double blue uniform colors of my Toronto Blue Jays:rolleyes:  :angry:  :D 

The Leafs predate international hockey, television, radio, and probably the country Finland itself.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24573750/canadas-game-new-book-says-hockey-originated-in-england

People in Montreal say, well, Montreal is where the first organized game took place, in 1875, so it is really the only date that matters. Everybody in Canada has a claim to hockey, and you can find one, or two, or perhaps three references supporting each claim. But then you look at England, and all of a sudden there are hundreds and hundreds of references to hockey being played all over the country – some dating back to the 1790s.

:hocky:

Well, first of all, kudos to TFG for admitting the outright theft of colours....in my books, not cool....not cool at all!!  If your team can't come up with it's own colour scheme....at the very least, come up with a new configuration of the colours....Tampa Bay = FAIL.

Well, first of all, kudos to TFG for admitting the outright theft of colours....in my books, not cool....not cool at all!! If your team can't come up with it's own colour scheme....at the very least, come up with a new configuration of the colours....Tampa Bay = FAIL.

They really could have done something very cool with even a darker blue and gold/white or yellow/white lightning streaks. Extremely unimaginative and lazy on the part of the Bolts.

@ruxpin  I like the logo, it's simple, not overstated and someday, it may indeed by deemed "iconic".....it was a real stretch for Bolts ownership to call it iconic from the very start. It's not all about the logo, but what it represents...so you need winning...lots of it and longevity for starters.

@ruxpin I like the logo, it's simple, not overstated and someday, it may indeed by deemed "iconic".....it was a real stretch for Bolts ownership to call it iconic from the very start. It's not all about the logo, but what it represents...so you need winning...lots of it and longevity for starters.

Just to be clear: I have no problem with the logo. I was talking about the style and color of the actual uniform.

The concept jerseys that TFG posted on page 1 are miles ahead of what the Bolts are wearing now. 

It's the same situation as with the Calgary Flames that I mentioned in another thread: The color scheme isn't bad, but it's not the appropriate color scheme for the team. Blue and white looks good -- on the Leafs, not the Lightning. Red and black looks good -- on the New Jersey Devils, not the Calgary Flames.

Archived