Kronwall suspended for one game.

yave1964

Yikes.471381258-niklas-kronwall-of-the-detroit

Nick Kronwall was suspended today for one game for his wicked hit on Nikita Kucherov of the Lightning in game six.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgSF-AQm4tY&feature=player_embedded

Anyone who knows me knows that Kronwall is my favorite player in the game and as a Wings fan it is difficult to say what I am going to say about this.

He deserves it.

I have watched the hit a couple of dozen times, IMHO he didn't leave his feet until contact was made but the egregious thing was the principal point of contact was elbow on face, which is an absolute no no.  

So we go to Tampa and game seven without our best defeneseman (although Ericsson has had a whale of a series) because of a stupid hit. But as much as it pains me, this was the right call.

He deserves it.

Kudos for that....no white and red coloured glasses here...the NHL got this one right. I'm sure they did not take this lightly, suspending a player for an all important game #7!

Kudos for that....no white and red coloured glasses here...the NHL got this one right. I'm sure they did not take this lightly, suspending a player for an all important game #7!

Absolutely killed me to say that Jammer. I studied his feet the first ten or so times I watched the GIF, he didn't leave his feet before the hit, he let his body drive through the hit.

Then I studied the principal point of contact, and said crap, that is suspendable, not even borderline, he has to get a game for that. My only hope was the league would be a bunch of pansies and be afraid to suspend such an important player for a game 7. In truth, I give kudo's to the league for getting it right and if I have ire and am annoyed at anyone it is Kronwall himself.

Looks like time to get my golf clubs out of the closet.

Yikes.471381258-niklas-kronwall-of-the-detroit

Nick Kronwall was suspended today for one game for his wicked hit on Nikita Kucherov of the Lightning in game six.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgSF-AQm4tY&feature=player_embedded

Anyone who knows me knows that Kronwall is my favorite player in the game and as a Wings fan it is difficult to say what I am going to say about this.

He deserves it.

I have watched the hit a couple of dozen times, IMHO he didn't leave his feet until contact was made but the egregious thing was the principal point of contact was elbow on face, which is an absolute no no.  

So we go to Tampa and game seven without our best defeneseman (although Ericsson has had a whale of a series) because of a stupid hit. But as much as it pains me, this was the right call.

Yeah, this one was pretty black and white. It was potentially Mclaren on Zednik lite. Just not quite as clothesline WWF style without the major facebreaking injury.

Kronwall ran into Kucherov with force, blatantly driving the upper part of his arm and his elbow under Kucherov's chin at full speed, and no attempt to pull up. It was obviously dirty. Kronwall deserves exactly what he got, and is lucky he didn't get more than that. Kronwall got off easy from the league in length of suspension IMHO, although he may not get a chance to play the rest of the season now.

@yave1964

I have defended Kronwall's hits many a time, but I am also in agreement with everything you said. This hit WAS different. Not EGREGIOUSLY different, but different in that his forearm/elbow was what contacted the head the most, and he had to extend his arm to make that contact to the head. I'm also with you that his right skate was still on the ice at the point of contact. I think the league was wrong in saying his skates left the ice before the hit.

This is in sharp contrast to when he absolutely destroyed Vorachek, for example, when Voychek's head was down and Kronner's whole body--shoulder and non-extended forearm pulverized the entire body, head being the first point of contact. In the hit the other night, it was almost a partial miss which he seemed to try to make up for by extending his arm to ensure better contact, but unfortunately primarily with the head.

My measuring stick on these is asking the question: "If you were to remove the player's head from his body, would the body still be heavily checked?" On Voychuk (and other Kronwall hits) the answer is yes. On this hit, the answer is no. The head got it worse than the rest of the body, and if the head was missing, the body still would have been checked, but not like the head was. To me, this is primarily a head check and is worthy of supplemental discipline.

I agree with the call by the NHL, not because it's high time Kronwall got his just desserts, but rather because this hit is different than most of his other hits, and in the spirit of trying to protect the players, even as costly as this may be, it is the right call. Bad timing for the Wings, but the right call nonetheless.

I'm not sure I have a problem with the suspension to Kronwall. It was directly to the head and was maybe charging? It looked to me like his back foot was down at time of contact, but it's very close. 

What I do have a bit of a problem with is the lack of even a hearing for Palat's hit (which IMO was very similar - actually, I think that one looked much more like charging).

I mean, Subban broke a guy's wrist with a fairly malicious baseball swing and he didn't get suspended.

I just feel consistency isn't a strength of the NHL right now.

Detroit losing Kronwall is pretty devastating.

Absolutely killed me to say that Jammer. I studied his feet the first ten or so times I watched the GIF, he didn't leave his feet before the hit, he let his body drive through the hit.

Then I studied the principal point of contact, and said crap, that is suspendable, not even borderline, he has to get a game for that. My only hope was the league would be a bunch of pansies and be afraid to suspend such an important player for a game 7. In truth, I give kudo's to the league for getting it right and if I have ire and am annoyed at anyone it is Kronwall himself.

Looks like time to get my golf clubs out of the closet.

Yeah, I don't see him leaving his feet until the contact itself causes it.  But yeah, principal point of contact is the head.   One game and not more because he didn't leave his feet.

That's a pretty huge suspension for game 7, though.  That equals at least 3 regular season games, no?

I think you don't want to match up with a non hockey market team in the playoffs. The league will rule on the side of teams it wishes to prop up every time. I thought Kronner would be fined. This was not a hit that should cost a franchise a game 7. Given the Wings clearly do not have a rep for dirty play. When you look at the Malkin attack, the Weber incident, and now this one, you start to see a pattern. The whole directive of the league is to prop up non hockey markets. If this hit happened against Montreal I seriously doubt they would hand down a game 7 suspension.

Archived