• Chicago Blackhawks in 4
    • Chicago Blackhawks in 5
    • Chicago Blackhawks in 6
    • Chicago Blackhawks in 7
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 4
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 5
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 6
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 7

If the Lightning win it would also be against 4 of the original 6 teams, Red Wings, Canadiens, Rangers..Blackhawks. A little something extra for the history books if they win it.

They would be the first team to beat four original six teams to win the Cup.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They already are open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week...but I get what you were saying.

I wasn't sure, I don't have one near me. Their coffee is great, though

Here's a preview that I wrote for a website I have with some of my friends. I've included the introductory paragraph and a link here if anyone is interested in giving it a read.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are my favorite sporting event of the year, bar none. The Stanley Cup is the most prestigious trophy in sports and the hardest to win. The Tampa Bay Lightning and Chicago Blackhawks both deserve a lot of credit for making it this far, but only one will take home the prize. Let us break down the series to determine who it might be.

http://www.thesmacattack.com/2015/06/02/stanley-cup-finals-preview/

I wasn't sure, I don't have one near me. Their coffee is great, though

Bro, it's not the coffee, it's the cream...it's 29% fat....it is near lethal in the right dosage....LOL!

Bro, it's not the coffee, it's the cream...it's 29% fat....it is near lethal in the right dosage....LOL!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I really want to try their donuts one day. Are they any good?

They already are open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week...but I get what you were saying.

Except for the one in Bridgewater Nova Scotia...that seemed to close whenever they felt like it. One day it was 6 pm. The next 11 pm. No rhyme or reason. 

We finally get Stanley Cup play tonight!

Hawks gonna try and start their epic 3 Cups in 6 years run....Bolts gonna try and put a stop to that and start on the path to bringing Lord Stanley to his beach home in Indian Rocks Beach, FL! ;)

Hawks have all the experience in the world, yadda, yadda, yadda...but the Bolts SHOULD present Chicago with something they really haven't seen all playoffs long: speed that can match (maybe surpass their own?)....and some finishers on the forward lines and defense pairings to go along with that as well.

Impressive that the Hawks got through what I consider to be a pretty well rounded team in Nashville (with Rinne in net), the Minnesota Wild (who have outstanding team speed, but lack a bit in the 'finishing' department), and the Anaheim Ducks, who present a big, powerful team...yet I think, lagged a bit in the speed department compared to the Hawks.

But Tampa Bay represents the kind of complete package Nashville had (but with FOUR legit lines), the speed of the Wild (but WITH finishers), and the underrated physical play like the Ducks presented to Chicago, but only with faster overall skaters both on the forward and defense pairings.

All this still adds up to Chicago being favored (with good reason), but unlike some past Eastern teams who have lost in the Finals in recent seasons, I really think the Lightning have a legit shot at pulling this off.

Composure.

That will be the key to the Bolts.

Because in just about every other aspect, they match up nicely, or are maybe even better in some areas, than Chicago is.

Tampa Bay really has grown in leaps and bounds this season and in just these playoffs alone.

Faced lots of adversity, faced eliminations, and faced some of the better goalies in the league.....and passed those tests pretty well.

Will that be enough to beat a well traveled, well oiled Chicago machine?

Not completely sure it will be, but if the Bolts can play THEIR game (which, ironically, is kinda similar to how Chicago plays...go figure), and not worry so much about what Chicago is doing...if they can make the Hawks gameplan more for THEM rather than the other way around....if they can stay away from 'awing' at what the Hawks have accomplished.....then those young Tampa Bay Lightning SURELY have a good shot at a series win!

Starts tonight, gotta be good at home (they really haven't been particularly good at home...offset by road success however) and gotta get those "OMG, we are in the Finals" jitters out of the way...but QUICK!

During media day, the Bolts players did and said the right things....everyone from the coaching staff, to the team captain, down to the 4th liners....now it's time to DO the right things on the ice.

Go Bolts, GO! 

:D

Sadly... this is what happens when you put hockey in cities that really could not care...  I might have to root for the Hawks just b/c of this embarrassment.  This is an actual newspaper in Tamp:

lightning-rules.png?resize=498%2C548

You root for whomever you want....there is large contingent of Flyer fans rooting AGAINST Tampa Bay here anyways because they somehow think that the 29th overall pick instead of the 30th overall pick will somehow vault the Flyers into contender status.

Newsflash:

Flyers got A TON of work to do and pick #29 or #30 won't mean SQUAT to getting the team ahead without taking care of more pressing issues with the team.

;)

And besides, that posting above with the rules....that's actually more for the old senile transplants from up north who now reside in Florida going to games.

You know...in case they forgot what the rules of hockey were.... :rolleyes:

You root for whomever you want....there is large contingent of Flyer fans rooting AGAINST Tampa Bay here anyways because they somehow think that the 29th overall pick instead of the 30th overall pick will somehow vault the Flyers into contender status.

Newsflash:

Flyers got A TON of work to do and pick #29 or #30 won't mean SQUAT to getting the team ahead without taking care of more pressing issues with the team.

;)

And besides, that posting above with the rules....that's actually more for the old senile transplants from up north who now reside in Florida going to games.

You know...in case they forgot what the rules of hockey were.... :rolleyes:

feeling threatened or something?  jeez...

if you actually read the post before that I said I was rooting for the Bolts for heaven's sake - even though Chi is going to win the series in 5/6.

I am sure it is just for the ol' senile people in Florida!  Sure, yeah... right on.  Considering most of those people would have died since 92 - but you keep making up those excuses.   The fan-base of the Bolts is a fraud - just like Phoenix.   

feeling threatened or something?  jeez...

if you actually read the post before that I said I was rooting for the Bolts for heaven's sake - even though Chi is going to win the series in 5/6.

I am sure it is just for the ol' senile people in Florida.   Considering most of those people would have died since 92 - but you keep making up those excuses.   The fanbase of the Bolts is a fraud - just like Phoenix.   

Threatened?

Not at all....I am on a FLYER fan founded website for cryin out loud.....BY FLIPPIN CHOICE! :lol:

But if I had to guess, I'd say the bolded suggests YOU may need to check that Threat-O-Meter.

I am good.

Threatened?

Not at all....I am on a FLYER fan founded website for cryin out loud.....BY FLIPPIN CHOICE! :lol:

But if I had to guess, I'd say the bolded suggests YOU may need to check that Threat-O-Meter.

I am good.

no, not at all....  Threat-O-Meter?  Huh?   Either the sun got to your head while there or the cold got to your head on 'sota

the Tampa fan base in general is terrible.   That is not a threat - it is pretty much a known fact in the sports world.  I will say the attendance has been good for a few years but was pretty dismal for a long time as well. The do have a fan-base and they seem to support them when they are winning.

Lest this thread devolve into irrelevant banter, here are some numbers, focusing on the defense, that may play a factor in this series:

Lightning:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20153TBLDADALL&ord=desc&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Blackhawks:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20153CHIDADALL&ord=desc&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

These are giveaway numbers by the defense....the Hawks' D actually has given the puck away more often during these playoffs than the Bolts.

And if one shuffles the filters around to hits, the Bolts' D, top d-man to bottom, are overall more physical...go figure.

That said, the SINGLE most physical d-man in these playoffs on these two teams is by far, Brent Seabrook. No surprise there.

Obviously, numbers are not be-all end all, but I've always said Chicago, while very, very good, WILL give a team chances.....and some teams have taken advantage of that in these playoffs (Preds and Ducks) because they have finishers....the Bolts should get the same chances.

They will just need to finish them while of course preventing the same on Ben Bishop.

I will look into some of the forwards numbers a bit later on.

Lest this thread devolve into irrelevant banter, here are some numbers, focusing on the defense, that may play a factor in this series:

Lightning:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20153TBLDADALL&ord=desc&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Blackhawks:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20153CHIDADALL&ord=desc&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

These are giveaway numbers by the defense....the Hawks' D actually has given the puck away more often during these playoffs than the Bolts.

And if one shuffles the filters around to hits, the Bolts' D, top d-man to bottom, are overall more physical...go figure.

That said, the SINGLE most physical d-man in these playoffs on these two teams is by far, Brent Seabrook. No surprise there.

Obviously, numbers are not be-all end all, but I've always said Chicago, while very, very good, WILL give a team chances.....and some teams have taken advantage of that in these playoffs (Preds and Ducks) because they have finishers....the Bolts should get the same chances.

They will just need to finish them while of course preventing the same on Ben Bishop.

I will look into some of the forwards numbers a bit later on.

That's why I gave the slight edge on defense to Tampa Bay in that article. Individually, I'd certainly take the top defensemen for Chicago, but as a group, I like Tampa. They have seven reliable defensemen that aren't going to make a lot of mistakes and can consume significant minutes. That's a rare luxury. Chicago's unit is a bit too top-heavy right now. In doing my research, I found that Nestorov, who has been the #7 guy, has been averaging more ice time than whoever is in the fifth spot for Chicago on any given night.

That's why I gave the slight edge on defense to Tampa Bay in that article. Individually, I'd certainly take the top defensemen for Chicago, but as a group, I like Tampa. They have seven reliable defensemen that aren't going to make a lot of mistakes and can consume significant minutes. That's a rare luxury. Chicago's unit is a bit too top-heavy right now. In doing my research, I found that Nestorov, who has been the #7 guy, has been averaging more ice time than whoever is in the fifth spot for Chicago on any given night.

I will look into your article, @ScottM a bit later on.

I never was really big into numbers telling the story (at least not the whole story), but seeing as how this really is a daunting task for the Lightning (beating a long running championship caliber franchise), I have found myself looking into numbers to see if any of it can support some of the stuff I have seen with the 'eye test' that can favor Tampa Bay!  :P

Truthfully, although I will always go with my feelings on certain players and teams (more fun that way, actually!), I HAVE been trying to incorporate more stat based facts when I compare and contrast players and teams......THEN use the ol eye test once again to see if what I've learned from the numbers lets me see anything I might have missed before.

I do agree, that as a unit, the Bolts have a bit of an edge....though really, it only takes ONE Braydon Coburn giveaway to turn any given game on its ear....haha.

As for Nikita Nesterov, I've been a fan of his since the Bolts brought him up from the AHL late in the season.

They HAVE to make room for this guy as a regular, somehow, next season.

This deal where the Bolts now seem to roll with 7 D-men seems to be a strategy so that no single defenseman gets overworked AND to keep certain D-men, like Nesterov here involved in the series.

With Andrej Sustr and now seemingly Nikita Nesterov getting more and more ice time, this doesn't bode well for "depth defenseman" Mark Barberio for next season....though I WOULD like to see Matt Carle traded in the off season and Mark Barberio given his slot and minutes.

To me, they are both similar players, cept Barberio is less experienced, but is more moldable now because he is still young, he is just a hair more physical than Carle (not by much), but IMMENSELY more cap friendly.

Some more numeral shuffling that could mean something during the series:

Lightning:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20153TBLDADALL&ord=desc&sort=shots&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Blackhawks:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?fetchKey=20153CHIDADALL&ord=desc&sort=shots&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

These are SOG by the defense...the Bolts clearly have the more active defense with regards to guys jumping into the play and taking aim at the goaltender (again, as a group), though guys like Keith and Seabrook won't be cheated out of their chances to put pucks to the net.

Shuffling that same number set over to MISSED shots though, one can see that the Tampa defense tends to have the bulk of their shots actually get to the net, whereas Chicago misses many shots by the D-men, weighted heavily on Keith, Seabrook, and Oduya, while the others simply DON'T get many shots away, whether on net or missed.

The quartet of Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, and Hjalmarsson, however, seem more proficient (and willing) to block shots than any single TB defenseman, though as a unit, the Lightning D do ok top to bottom on that.

Sadly... this is what happens when you put hockey in cities that really could not care...  I might have to root for the Hawks just b/c of this embarrassment.  This is an actual newspaper in Tamp:

lightning-rules.png?resize=498%2C548

Should be posted on the locker of every Leafs player next season.  :)

Well this young coach has quite a task at hand. Convince his team they can come back after letting one slip away

Yep, the entire Bolts team has their work cut out for them...but the fact that the Lightning DID have this game in hand is proof enough they CAN skate and beat the Hawks.

That Kucherov bad decision with the puck will sting for a bit, but once Game 2 starts, that is all water under the bridge...the players will have learned, and the Bolts pretty much need to play Game 2 like they did Game 1, minus the slight let up later in the game.

Chicago gave Tampa Bay TONS of quality chances, but Crawford was up to the task, I must say.

But we've seen this record played before with Detroit, Montreal, and New York....Bolts make some bad decisions, lose a big game, then everyone decrees the Bolts are done.

Granted, the Hawks are a more complete team than any of those three teams the Bolts faced, but then again, the Bolts are probably the most unique team the Hawks have faced in this post season as well, seeing as how much of the Lightning play mirrors that of Chicago.

If TB didn't get ANYTHING going against the Hawks, I'd be more worried.

Other than being bummed at losing a game I thought we should have had, I am feeling pretty good going into Game 2.

Chicago is experienced.

Chicago is good.

Chicago is NOT impossible.....not for these Lightning.

Go Bolts!

The Bolts have to make three adjustments and they'll be fine. Skate with speed and purpose for the ENTIRE game. Then they have to take away as much of the neutral zone from Chicago as they can. Easier said than done versus the 'Hawks, but very possible with the personnel the Bolts have. They also should hit Keith and Seabrook every time they have an opportunity. They should be kicking themselves for going into a defensive shell after the first period. It was like they said, look at us, we have a 1-0 lead against a team everybody favored and admired themselves too much. Meanwhile Chicago dug in for the long haul and waited for their chance to retaliate. With a team like the 'Hawks, you have to push the pace and be willing to play a high-octane style and get the puck into the offensive zone with a hard, FAST forecheck. They have to play that way the entire game, not just twenty minutes. 

Archived