Man I cannot stand Barry Melrose

Samifan

Still for the life of me can't understand how or why he is considered a top hockey analyst? Watching him on the NHL Networks media day coverage is brutal. From the Don Cherry-wanna-be attire to his stupid mullet and purple skin ( hope that is not from a medical condition) to his captain obvious insight the guy just sucks. Wonder who is picking up all of his expenses this week, the NHL Network or ESPN who he also still spews his "expert insight ".

Go away Barry!

lol @Samifan

Us Bolts fans like to think he is just comic relief while the real analysts get some lunch or some coffee.

Anyways, he may very well be the Don Cherry of the American airwaves...  I.E. full of bluster, mostly silly, living off a distant past reputation....yet still somehow entertaining (if you take EVERYTHING he says with a grain of salt, and more like a skit than an actual professional analysis) ;)

I too was listening to media day coverage, and aside from the copious amounts of praise heaped on the Blackhawks, I thought for the most part, it was worth listening to....the Melrose parts served as breaks for me, as I could accomplish some odd and ends chores around the house, sorta listen to what he was saying, come back, and STILL be ahead of him because he hadn't made his point quite yet.... :lol:

I forget who it was he was asking questions to (told ya, I LITERALLY walk away and do some other stuff during most of his bits...lol), but at one point, he actually drew a blank during his line of questioning to the point, where I actually looked towards the TV, and there was this very awkward pause, his co-hosts were fidgeting a bit...he finally gets out his questions, and as you said, they were of the Captain Obvious variety....but at least he got through the segment, and Kathryn Tappen was able to rescue the situation with a nice segway into something else....lol.

Top hockey analyst?

Meh....perhaps in a Mad Magazine sort of way.

But at this point, he is very much a part of NHL culture (albeit, the campy part of it), no matter what network he is attempting to talk hockey for.

What's sad is, at one time, he actually made some sense in his analysis (again, just like Don Cherry I suppose), but as you can see, these days, he is just a caricature of the guy who led the Kings to the finals some 20+ years ago and just a shell of the man who USED to make decent commentary regarding playoff performers and team strategies.

Except that Melrose is a jerk and Don Cherry isn't.  

Hah...I am pretty sure we could find some people who would disagree with this.

But really...what does it matter....the Canadians are stuck with Cherry on-air and the US has Melrose.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other if you ask me.  :P

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I actually find Cherry entertaining, though it's time to hang up the drape-suits. I don't agree with half of what he says, but his political INcorrectness is a breath of fresh air in todays bubble wrapped don't say anything controversial society.

Melrose is just a jerk. I mean Cherry can be too. But Melrose can't NOT be.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other if you ask me

I've seen both interact with the public.

Don Cherry is gracious and kind.  Melrose is a jerk.

Dressing up in gaudy rags is part of Don Cherry's schtick.   His clothes and his act generate a ton of money for HNIC and CBC.  

Good for him.  

That's his job.  And he does it well.

If there was some way we could trade Melrose for Cherry, I'd do it in a heartbeat. At least Grapes makes me laugh. Melrose does nothing but make me roll my eyes and wonder how such a moron ever got to be a head coach or professional analyst.

• 2 weeks later...

If there was some way we could trade Melrose for Cherry, I'd do it in a heartbeat. At least Grapes makes me laugh. Melrose does nothing but make me roll my eyes and wonder how such a moron ever got to be a head coach or professional analyst.

Melrose did win the Calder Cup as a head coach in Glens Falls. He had to have some ability.

I know nothing of either Cherry or Melrose aside from their on-air persona.   I remembe Melrose playing but that doesn't really give me anything more than his on-air.

I'm not at all a fan of Melrose.  He's a goof.  But I really cannot stand Cherry either.  I don't know if it is his suits or what he says and how he says it or a combination of all of it.  He doesn't add anything for me.  But he's also not a "tradition" for me, so I don't even have that.   Cherry comes across like a professional wrestling announcer.  While that is good for some, from me that's an indictment.

All that said, I'll take either one over Mike Milbury. By a country mile.

Cherry comes across like a professional wrestling announcer.  While that is good for some, from me that's an indictment.

All that said, I'll take either one over Mike Milbury. By a country mile.

you are absolutely right! LOL.... the resemblance is striking.

cherry-don-090531.jpg

or one of the original WWF announcers...Gorilla Monsoon (yes I am ashamed to admint I watched the WWF in the early 1980's.... :mellow: )

GorillaMonsoonVol2.jpg

Agree..can't stand Milbury, but you have to love the Ovi rant he had 2 yrs ago...classic......

"The Mullet" hasn't been relevant since the 1990's. He can thank Wayne Gretzky. At least for as goofy, suits and all, Don Cherry is still relevant. In addition, Melrose was an average coach and Cherry was a very good one. Makes sense to me, since hockey isn't relevant to ESPN, why hire somebody who is? Twenty hours a day dedicated to that joke of a league known as Lebron Watch and the NBA (yes I know they cover it), 3 hours and 55 minutes to the NFL, and 5 minutes to hockey. I think it's more that I despise ESPN and their let's give a Courage Award to Bruce Jenner instead of a young lady fighting cancer (and their attitude toward hockey as well) than it is Barry, but you want to talk about somebody riding #99's coattails for years? There he is. Barry Melrose.

@FD19372

What is ESPN? :ph34r: ......that station has mysteriously disappeared from my program guide. :ph34r:

Seriously, can't stand the station and I no not watch it.  I'd rather watch the the NFL channel for football, and the NHL channel for hockey.........

I just hate the fact the Melrose is employed by both ESPN and NHL Network. That's like a Coke salesmen also working for Pepsi.

Bottom line is the guy shouldn't even be employed by one network as an expert let alone two. Now that he is back in Tampa I fully expect him to have his purple skin sunburn glowing against his grey mullet.

Archived