Is the Pace of the Game Too Fast Today?

WordsOfWisdom

Maybe you need to be watching MMA and auto racing. That would give you your fight fix and would satisfy your need for speed

I cannot begin to find the words to express how much I hate both.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so you really only have one side of the ice to work with in the game today. Ever. Since beginning of time.

Sorry.  Always been that way.  It's part of the game.  I cannot fathom any reason to change the game and honestly think your suggestion weakens it.  It's another fix to something that isn't broken.

Sorry.  Always been that way.  It's part of the game.  I cannot fathom any reason to change the game and honestly think your suggestion weakens it.  It's another fix to something that isn't broken.

Yes, to properly promote our sport, we need to emphasize skill and speed, the more speed, the better. The fastest hardest working teams should win....period. If you can't keep up, draft better.

I cannot begin to find the words to express how much I hate both.

You don't like MMA or auto racing?  :mellow:

I don't like UFC, but I like K-1. I lost interest in auto racing when F1 got rid of its race in Montreal.  :( 

@WordsOfWisdom  I know many will argue with me, but I don't even count racing as a sport, F-1, Nascar....it's all crap. Paying millions of dollars to build the quickest machine is not my idea of a sport....and watching things go round and round or turn around tight corners is LAME....

@WordsOfWisdom  I know many will argue with me, but I don't even count racing as a sport, F-1, Nascar....it's all crap. Paying millions of dollars to build the quickest machine is not my idea of a sport....and watching things go round and round or turn around tight corners is LAME....

Agreed. Auto racing isn't a sport.  :)

And I find NASCAR to be dreadfully boring. The only racing I ever watched was F-1. 

I used to have a huge graphic novel that pitted the Hulk against Superman.....I *think* they were the two combatents....but was over 3 decades ago....so not sure, you remember that?

I don't really remember it from back then but I do know it happened. Hulk vs Supes was one of the battles, I think Superman won.

You don't like MMA or auto racing?  :mellow:

I don't like UFC, but I like K-1. I lost interest in auto racing when F1 got rid of its race in Montreal.  :(

Maybe if they combined the two and you had guys fighting on the course while drivers attempted to steer around them.  That might prove interesting.

@ruxpin

hmm..I think they already incorporated your idea! :)

Jeff Gordon has attacked NASCAR's new bad boy in a pit lane brawl at Texas Motor Speedway after a little contact on the race track led to a whole lot of contact when the drivers got out of their cars.

Gordon, NASCAR's 'wonder boy,' was furious at Brad Keselowski for causing a crash at the end of Sunday's AAA Texas 500 that left Gordon finishing in 29th place.

By the end, Keselowski was left spitting blood and Gordon had a cut on his lip.

'He's just a dips***, you know. I mean, the way he races it's a wonder he's ever won a championship,' Gordon told reporters after the fight.  (scroll down a bit and they have the video)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2818833/Jeff-Gordon-slugs-NASCAR-s-new-bad-boy-massive-pit-lane-brawl-crash-Texas-Motor-Speedway.html#ixzz3cm38yIFI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Maybe if they combined the two and you had guys fighting on the course while drivers attempted to steer around them.  That might prove interesting.

I have long held that Basketball would be way more interesting if the defense had lead pipes.

I have long held that Basketball would be way more interesting if the defense had lead pipes.

I tried.  I can't resist this.  Open at own discretion:

Will these lead pipes be provided by the team/league or do the players bring the lead pipes they use off the court?

I have to hand it to you @WordsOfWisdom. You're like the energizer bunny of posting. Three pages to this thread: that's 4 more than it prolly deserves.

Don't worry, I'm probably going to take the summer off so I can frolic around on the beach somewhere and check out some (hopefully lovely) ladies.  :cool[1]:

Don't worry, I'm probably going to take the summer off so I can frolic around on the beach somewhere and check out some (hopefully lovely) ladies.   :cool[1]:

Ok, enjoy. Be sure to check in around Draft Day. It will be very interesting to see who the Leafs take and how the 3-5 picks shake down. 

I'm afraid to open it. Is it a video? :)

No, it is just a one line attempt to be funny but in questionable taste. It really isn't meant to be offensive (but some may justifiably view it that way) just an indelicate attempt at humor.

5220479.jpg

I know this idea will get **** canned immediately, but should the NHL take steps to slow the game down?  :unsure[1]: Hear me out.

The pace of the game today is such that every shift is played at 100%. It's like a race car at full throttle for the entire race, or a jet with afterburners full on for an entire mission. I actually miss the "conservation of energy" and the longer shifts that players used to take. I enjoy watching the game when players develop plays and work their way up the ice rather than flying around at max speed, approaching the line, and then dumping the puck in to go on a line change.

I don't see much offensive zone pressure anymore (other than on power plays) because the players aren't usually on the ice long enough to make anything happen. They zoom in, fire off a shot, and then it's a mad skate back to the bench.

I wonder if fans today could appreciate a game where players didn't always go 100%. A game where a typical shift might mean skating at 50-60% and then ramping it up to 100% when an opportunity presented itself, rather than moving around quickly without a purpose, just to be moving around quickly.

A radical solution might be to get rid of line changes on-the-fly, thereby forcing teams to change lines during a play stoppage. That means longer and more meaningful line match-ups. That means sustained offence. That means careful use of energy to avoid getting fatigued. ie: Pick your spots wisely, don't go 100% all the time because the shift might be 30 seconds or it might be 3 minutes.

What do you think? 

I'd rather imagine Basketball with Hockey line changes.

Basketball is so slow and boring to me, and if you cheered for every basket, you would be lacking a voice by the end of the game. individual baskets are just not as exciting as goals lol.

Archived