Top Flyers' prospects rankings

brelic

From Philly.com. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150616_Flyers__Icemen_Hopeth.html

The thing that stood out the most while reading this is the fact that only one prospect - Laughton - is projected to make an "impact" this upcoming season. Everyone else is projected for 2016-17 or later. In other words, Seravalli doesn't believe any defensive prospects will make the squad (unless he has a different definition of "projected impact"). Hard to say what that means exactly.

@brelic

I saw that article too.  Certainly alot depends on Sanheim if he can make the team out of training camp.  I forget the age requirement for the AHL (19 or 20?)

In a perfect world, I would like to see both Sanheim and Morin in the AHL.  Neither one, IMO, can gain anymore playing with their respective Junior team.

Then, after a few months, call them up as needed.  I think it is imperative that Hakstol / Hexy hire the correct coach for the Phantoms.

Alot also depends on what defenseman can be moved during the upcoming weeks / months.

MDZ / Streit

Medvedev / McDud

Grossman / L. Schenn

In the mix: Ghost / Colaiacova / Schultz / (Sanheim/Morin?)

Ideally, I would love to see Hexy move both McDud and Grossman. (Realistically, I think one of the three..Grossman, McDud, L.Schenn gets moved)

If that happens then......(if they move Grossman)

Streit / MDZ

McDud / Medvedev

Ghost / L. Schenn

Extra: Schultz / Colaiacova

(if they move McDud):

Streit / MDZ

L. Schenn / Medvedev

Ghost / Grossman

Part of me wants Sanheim / Morin to make the team, but the other part of me thinks..why rush them....let them get their feet wet in the AHL with the Phantoms. Then bring them up on a as needed basis.

Anyway that is my 2 cents.....

I forget the age requirement for the AHL (19 or 20?)
In a perfect world, I would like to see both Sanheim and Morin in the AHL.

Morin is AHL-eligible but Sanheim is not. 

Streit / MDZ

McDud / Medvedev

Ghost / L. Schenn

Even though at the end of the season MDZ and Cocacola were the 2 best Dmen CC won't be resigned.

So you also have to include Gudas into the mix...and he is basically a cheaper version of Luke which could very well make Luke trade bait at the draft or before next season.

I'd love to move Mcdud but that is just a pipe dream with his contract.

So i expect GrossmanN and/or Luke to be gone to make room at sometime.

And barring Ghost impressing the hell out of Hak and Hexy he will more than likely be a Phantom for a good part if not all of next season.

Morin is AHL-eligible but Sanheim is not. 

thanks...wasn't sure.....Then I guess Sanheim is going back to juniors for one more year unless he really "wows" the coaching staff.

I think it (obviously) is dependent upon Hextall moving Grossman or Schenn.  McDud is going nowhere...  unfortunately.   

Laughton, to me anyway, is a 3rd line player in this league.  He is not going to be a scorer in this league but can play a good two way game.   I dont see him as an "impact" player whatever that means.  He has a chance to make the club but so does Rinaldo - and I would not use the word "impact" in a positive manner with his play.

Not comparing Laughton and Rinaldo - just trying to define what "impact" means...

Even though at the end of the season MDZ and Cocacola were the 2 best Dmen CC won't be resigned.

So you also have to include Gudas into the mix...and he is basically a cheaper version of Luke which could very well make Luke trade bait at the draft or before next season.

I'd love to move Mcdud but that is just a pipe dream with his contract.

So i expect GrossmanN and/or Luke to be gone to make room at sometime.

And barring Ghost impressing the hell out of Hak and Hexy he will more than likely be a Phantom for a good part if not all of next season.

I totally forgot about Gudas! (SMH)  Yeah then I totally agree with you...move Grossman/L.Schenn and keep Morin / Ghost in the AHL and Sanheim back with his junior team.....Then readdress come the 2016-17 season,

So you also have to include Gudas into the mix

I would be shocked if Gudas does not make this team. He basically has to play himself off the team I would guess. All depends on how many crappy d-men we can unload. He basically has the same skill set as Grossmannnnn, so there is probably only room for one of them. I suspect Gross will be moved to make room for Gudas....you can't have 3 slow physical d-man, which is exactly what you have in Luke Schenn, Grossmannnn and Gudas. Hopefully the other 2 stiffs are gone and Gudas can be the porch clearer/physical presence/throw down d-man.

I agree with you guys, and I don't think we'll see any of our prospects on D this year. One or two may get a cup of coffee, especially if there are injuries. But that's about it.

For better or worse, we have 9 NHL defensemen under contract and that's a hefty logjam to clear before any consideration is given to the young guys.

Don't forget - we may even draft another one that would leapfrog what we have in our system. Werenski or Provorov would probably make a strong case to start with the big boys, no?

I agree with you guys, and I don't think we'll see any of our prospects on D this year. One or two may get a cup of coffee, especially if there are injuries. But that's about it.

For better or worse, we have 9 NHL defensemen under contract and that's a hefty logjam to clear before any consideration is given to the young guys.

Don't forget - we may even draft another one that would leapfrog what we have in our system. Werenski or Provorov would probably make a strong case to start with the big boys, no?

Provolone I think definitely would... I think Werenski needs some time in the AHL to work on his game...   he has a high ceiling but he needs to work on some things.

@murraycraven

Think i'd prefer Provorov....Werenski sounds more like an offensive guy where Provorov seems like more of a well rounded Dman. With Del Zotto/Sanheim/Ghost do we really need more offensive guys? I know Sanheim and Ghost haven't made it yet, but they're further along than Werenski. I don't think his defensive game is anywhere near NHL ready, from what I've read.

@murraycraven

Think i'd prefer Provorov....Werenski sounds more like an offensive guy where Provorov seems like more of a well rounded Dman. With Del Zotto/Sanheim/Ghost do we really need more offensive guys? I know Sanheim and Ghost haven't made it yet, but they're further along than Werenski. I don't think his defensive game is anywhere near NHL ready, from what I've read.

I am 100% on board with you FC...   If Provorov is there at #7 he is my pick.   

In all reality I think that each of the young d prospects are not going to be with the club this year.   There aren't enough spots for one and even if they are able to move some I dont see the rush in bringing any of them up.   Gost essentially lost a season and Morin needs to play against men for his development.  I certainly do not want to see Sanheim rushed at all... If Provorov fell to the Flyers in the draft I think he would be the #1 defensive prospect in the organization and I am super high on Sanheim.

Yevgeni Medvedev..

Cristian Marti

Doc had Medvedev in his Flyer lineup and Marti will be a Phantom more than likely...

...maybe even 1st callup to keep from having to yo yo the kids like Ghost and Morin plus he'll give the Phantom's a physical Dman to replace Ollie whom i'm guessing won't be back.

Frank Seravalli is an idiotic mustard tiger. His throwing under the bus of Anthony Stolarz said it all for me. Clueless. He should stick to having cheeseburger picnics and crazy liquor parties.....lol

Where do you feel he's wrong about Stolarz?

I haven't seen him play a single minute of hockey, but looking at his stats, they're not very good. I mean, sure, he's young, and it was his first professional season. So there's lots of time. 

My biggest concern with Stolarz is his meltdowns in postseason. He's terrible under pressure, just terrible. I haven't seen anything of him since his days on the Knights (days on the Knights, I kill me) but to me he just looked big on a great team.

Where do you feel he's wrong about Stolarz?

I haven't seen him play a single minute of hockey, but looking at his stats, they're not very good. I mean, sure, he's young, and it was his first professional season. So there's lots of time. 

So many areas Brelic. First, Seravalli mentioned Stolarz played most of the year with a sub .900 save percentage. Simply not true. Stolarz was at the .925 save percentage for most of the year, minus a horrible stretch in February and March. I suspect that was around the time he took the shot to his head and while he wasn't diagnosed with a concussion, the after affects certainly seemed like he was suffering from post concussion syndrome. Simply put, Zepp wasn't there and that was an opportunity for Murray to turn to Martin Ouelette and Connor Knapp to allow Stolarz sufficient time to heal up and it wasn't done.

On top of it, Seravalli didn't touch on things that Stolarz notably improved upon. His puck handling has continued to get better and his rebound control has gotten better. To me, Seravalli put in half assed article about the prospects. If you're going to take the time to put the article in, then touch upon what was good and bad. Seravalli just made assumptions about Stolarz with nothing to back it up. I mentioned it on another forum, but when the Flyers drafted Stolarz, he was a 4 to 5 year project in waiting. He'd need at least two years in the NCAA or junior (which he spent a season and a half in junior and 8 games in the NCAA) and 2 to 2 and half seasons in the AHL before he was ready.

I'm not worried about Stolarz at all. I know @flyercanuck mentions his post season worries, but I have to admit I'm not worried. His first season in London (including regular season and the playoffs) he played in a stretch of 27 games in a row. He was gassed and there were games where Hunter should have gone to Jake Paterson, but he didn't. As for Stolarz' second year, I will admit his slash on Ho Sang was just sheer stupidity. That's a maturity thing.

Like I said, Stolarz is a project and just in case no one else knew, Tukka Rask didn't put up elite numbers his first year in the AHL either. He adapted though and his second year he was much better. However, you could see the talent in his first season. Same with Stolarz. The talent is there. It's just going to take time to help him put it together. Remember, for most of Stolarz' career, he never had a goaltender coach to teach him things. His only coach was his brother. So, to come as far as Stolarz has with little instruction is off the chart. Now, the Flyers need a goaltending coach to continue working with him to bring him along.

Archived