Flyers trade Grossman and Pronged to Arizona for Gagner

AJgoal

Is the Pronger trade really a "legal" trade.  Everyone knows what is being done there by Arizona.  Hasn't the NHL "investigated" this kind of thing in the past?  Then again, they seem to be doing their best to keep Arizona going.

Yes it is legal...Jackets did it with the Horton and Clarkson trade a year or so ago.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its perfectly legal. Pronger is injured. Injured players can be traded, see: Kane, Evander. Plus, one would assume the league has already approved the trade.

I'm so friggin excited about what Hexy has done the past two days that I am about to drive through Rochester NY honking my horn while my son hangs our giant Flyers flag out the window!

All hail Hextall, FU Homer!

We did not, RJ. Flyers gained ~300k over the LTIR, 5.2 overall.

Pronger's goes to LTIR once the season started so we "gain" that back. Grossmann's cap hit iss $3.5m. Gagner's cap hit is $3.2m, plus the $500k we're retaining for Grossmann

Also, if Tampa is covering 50% of Gagner's cap hit, I'm pretty sure that only happens when he's on ARI. Once he's traded, Tampa is no longer on the hook, so we get his full cap hit...

actually nvm. His actual cap hit is $4.8m and tampa is covering $1.6m of it. so we are still on the hook for $3.2m

We lose $200k in cap space here since we dont have the luxury of putting Pronger on LTIR....

actually nvm. His actual cap hit is $4.8m and tampa is covering $1.6m of it. so we are still on the hook for $3.2m

We lose $200k in cap space here since we dont have the luxury of putting Pronger on LTIR....

But LTIR doesn't apply during the offseason. So this gives Hextall some room to maneuver in free agency (if he so desires).

But LTIR doesn't apply during the offseason. So this gives Hextall some room to maneuver in free agency (if he so desires).

Yes, but we still lost cap space in terms of the actual season.

More moves must be coming 

OMG that's incredible wow Hexy man it is awesome to be able to trust a GM again thank GOD!

How did Hexy pull that off is Gagner that bad of a player??? I know Arizona needed to get to the cap floor but how did Hexy pull it off and not only that we get draft picks also included in trade I mean this is un freaking real what Hexy is doing I am so freaking excited about this team.

I am sure there is more to come...

OMG that's incredible wow Hexy man it is awesome to be able to trust a GM again thank GOD!

How did Hexy pull that off is Gagner that bad of a player??? I know Arizona needed to get to the cap floor but how did Hexy pull it off and not only that we get draft picks also included in trade I mean this is un freaking real what Hexy is doing I am so freaking excited about this team.

I am sure there is more to come...

And a 3rd rounder to boot in 2017 what a sweet move............

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-get-closer-to-cap-floor-by-helping-out-flyers-1.319880

“He’s a skill player,” Hextall said. “I think there’s been some inconsistencies in his play over the years, but he brings a high level of skill. We’ll make that decision and other decisions we have to make here. It could be a combination of a few things. I really don’t have an answer for you and I don’t want to speak before I have all the information in front of me.”

Gagner’s buyout would cost $633,333 this season and $833,333 next season for the Flyers. One question needing answering is whether a Flyers decision to buy out Gagner will also affect Tampa Bay’s cap.

In essence, the Flyers were able to shed the cap hits of Pronger ($4.94 million) and Grossmann ($3.5 million) for a total cap penalty of just $633,333 if Gagner is bought out. Pronger, of course, was added to the long-term injury list each season, but his contract provides the Flyers with increased summer flexibility.

The Flyers could sign Jakub Voracek to a long-term extension beginning on July 1. They could also take a run at a restricted free agent offer sheet or even a larger hockey trade. Teams are permitted to exceed the salary cap by 10 per cent in the summer, but for the Flyers, that included Pronger’s deal even if it moved to the LTIR category in October.

I thought the knock on Gagner was he was a 100 ft player .

I thought he had good wheels and was slick with the puck on his stick, but repulsed by the thought of back checking.

Archived