Flyers Qualify Del Zotto

Mad Dog

Well, he's not in the fold yet, he's just been qualified. They still have to work out a deal. I think the Flyers are looking for a 2-3 year deal in the 2.5 - 3 million dollar range. I think I'd go up to 3 @ 3.5, but I'd prefer to keep it at least either lower or shorter. If he keeps on the same path he was on last year, he would probably be in line to take over top pairing duties from Streit somewhere over the course of a 3 year deal. 

From Meltzer:

"As fully expected, the Flyers presented a one-year, $1.3 million qualifying offer to impending restricted free agent defenseman Michael Del Zotto on Monday. Hextall has said that, while the two sides are not currently close to an agreement on a contract extension, the dialogue has not been contentious. The GM said he believes the two sides will come to an agreement.

If the two sides prove unable to come to an agreement, they may go the arbitration route. Del Zotto is unlikely to receive a offer sheets from another NHL teams despite a bounceback season in 2014-15.

Del Zotto is eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2016, should he sign only for next season. The benefit to the Flyers of a one-year deal is a lower cap hit than it would take to buy up one or more years of UFA status. The drawback is that Del Zotto could walk away with no compensation next summer unless he was traded for an asset by the NHL trade deadline. Having him contracted for two seasons could be a nice bridge will the Flyers are tracking the development of Shayne Gostisbehere, Travis Sanheim and Ivan Provorov into NHL defensemen who can contribute offensively as well as defensively.

The Flyers, who are on paper a bubble team for a playoff spot in 2015-16, would be less inclined to trade Del Zotto if they are in the thick of the playoff chase come next March. Even if they are out of playoff contention again, "rental" trades involving impending UFAs often tend to bring back lower returns than ones involving desired players who have at least one additional season of term remaining.

As such, a multi-year deal will seem to benefit both sides a little more than one-year deal. Del Zotto would make more money and the Flyers would have more asset management options open as the next season or two progress.

First, however, the two sides must agree on a cap figure that works for both parties. That could take some time -- and result in arbitration -- if they are not already in the same ballpark."

It would be nice if the Flyers picked up some other teams' "disappointments" and turned them into Cup winning stars for a change. Lord knows they have been going the other way for years.

If they keep Gagner, I'm hoping it turns out like MDZ.  Young player who lost his way a bit, and makes a nice rebound with the Flyers.  

I'm really intrigued with the idea of keeping Gagner for a season. Unless they have specific plans with that cap space, I think he really could be a good reclamation project. They guy does have skills and has bounced around a bit. Give him a full season here I say, IF he can play wing. 

and.. btw, I'm seeing that the Flyers have 9 centers, 3 RW and 2 LW signed and on roster for next season. I realize that teams prize centers and all, but that seems a bit overly skewed doesn't it? 

I'm not sure who you are counting as centerman, but if you go by the Flyers website list, Cousins, Schenn, Umberger, Art Vandelay, and White can all play wing

I'm not sure who you are counting as centerman, but if you go by the Flyers website list, Cousins, Schenn, Umberger, Art Vandelay, and White can all play wing

I'm seeing Giroux, Umberger, Lecavalier, Gagner, Schenn, Coots, Cousins, VandeVelde and White are all listed as natural Centers. It's not saying who can play wing there, so I guess there's that. 

Give him a full season here I say, IF he can play wing. 

If the prior reports are accurate, sounds to me like one of the reasons he hasn't had a smashing success in NHL is exactly because he was asked to play center, while playing wing seems like a more fitting position for him.  So who knows; this may be the best of two worlds.

Well, he's not in the fold yet, he's just been qualified. They still have to work out a deal. I think the Flyers are looking for a 2-3 year deal in the 2.5 - 3 million dollar range. I think I'd go up to 3 @ 3.5, but I'd prefer to keep it at least either lower or shorter. If he keeps on the same path he was on last year, he would probably be in line to take over top pairing duties from Streit somewhere over the course of a 3 year deal. 

From Meltzer:

"As fully expected, the Flyers presented a one-year, $1.3 million qualifying offer to impending restricted free agent defenseman Michael Del Zotto on Monday. Hextall has said that, while the two sides are not currently close to an agreement on a contract extension, the dialogue has not been contentious. The GM said he believes the two sides will come to an agreement.

If the two sides prove unable to come to an agreement, they may go the arbitration route. Del Zotto is unlikely to receive a offer sheets from another NHL teams despite a bounceback season in 2014-15.

Del Zotto is eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2016, should he sign only for next season. The benefit to the Flyers of a one-year deal is a lower cap hit than it would take to buy up one or more years of UFA status. The drawback is that Del Zotto could walk away with no compensation next summer unless he was traded for an asset by the NHL trade deadline. Having him contracted for two seasons could be a nice bridge will the Flyers are tracking the development of Shayne Gostisbehere, Travis Sanheim and Ivan Provorov into NHL defensemen who can contribute offensively as well as defensively.

The Flyers, who are on paper a bubble team for a playoff spot in 2015-16, would be less inclined to trade Del Zotto if they are in the thick of the playoff chase come next March. Even if they are out of playoff contention again, "rental" trades involving impending UFAs often tend to bring back lower returns than ones involving desired players who have at least one additional season of term remaining.

As such, a multi-year deal will seem to benefit both sides a little more than one-year deal. Del Zotto would make more money and the Flyers would have more asset management options open as the next season or two progress.

First, however, the two sides must agree on a cap figure that works for both parties. That could take some time -- and result in arbitration -- if they are not already in the same ballpark."

Well, the fact that they qualified him tells me that they are going to give him a decent deal. They NEED this guy back there, he had a great season and deserves it more than anyone on their blueline.

Well, the fact that they qualified him tells me that they are going to give him a decent deal. They NEED this guy back there, he had a great season and deserves it more than anyone on their blueline.

Hopefully he can take the next step with Hakstol. I feel Hak will get a lot out of this roster and expect to make the playoffs with this crew...how far well that is the hard part to guess.

@OccamsRazor  Have they announced which coach is specifically going to be working with the defensemen next season?  Seems to me, that coach, whoever it is, will be essential in any success the Flyers will have in 2015-16.

@OccamsRazor  Have they announced which coach is specifically going to be working with the defensemen next season?  Seems to me, that coach, whoever it is, will be essential in any success the Flyers will have in 2015-16.

I think it will be Gord Murphy in charge of the defense...Hak said he likes to have a former defenseman in charge of that...well the only one on his staff is Murphy.

I think it will be Gord Murphy in charge of the defense...Hak said he likes to have a former defenseman in charge of that...well the only one on his staff is Murphy.

Yep, I seem to recall the Flyers announcing all the previous asst coaches will be retained (a rather odd move I might add). Gord Murphy worked with the d-men last year, so it seems as if he will retain that role. You would think Hakstol would want a fresh new start with his own coaches. Guys who are disciples of his system and he had a previous relationship with. On the positive side, all the coaches are quite familiar with the roster.....but even that could be a draw back, cause they have preconceived notions about all the players.....which kinda throws out the fresh new start scenario.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26118

EDIT....really, really happy that Mullen is back in charge of the pp, he did a good job there....the Flyers would have been dead last in the league had it not been for the potent top power play unit. The one thing that does suck, is we are gonna see Giroux on that half wall again, and I think it stunts his creativity. I'd like to see him move around more, behind the net for new looks, different passing lanes and even revolving up to the point once and a while.

Yep, I seem to recall the Flyers announcing all the previous asst coaches will be retained (a rather odd move I might add). Gord Murphy worked with the d-men last year, so it seems as if he will retain that role. You would think Hakstol would want a fresh new start with his own coaches. Guys who are disciples of his system and he had a previous relationship with. On the positive side, all the coaches are quite familiar with the roster.....but even that could be a draw back, cause they have preconceived notions about all the players.....which kinda throws out the fresh new start scenario.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26118

EDIT....really, really happy that Mullen is back in charge of the pp, he did a good job there....the Flyers would have been dead last in the league had it not been for the potent top power play unit. The one thing that does suck, is we are gonna see Giroux on that half wall again, and I think it stunts his creativity. I'd like to see him move around more, behind the net for new looks, different passing lanes and even revolving up to the point once and a while.

I think he'll give his already experienced NHL staff a go since he knows they are pretty much very familiar with the players he is getting.

Well he may have punch his ticket out of town...

He has that right, and it's not like his employer is paying him his worth. Good for MDZ. That said, I hope they resign him before the ruling.

He has that right, and it's not like his employer is paying him his worth. Good for MDZ. That said, I hope they resign him before the ruling.

Yes he did have that right but it may punch his ticket out of town which is the teams right...

Yes he did have that right but it may punch his ticket out of town which is the teams right...

Ah, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were against the arbitration, but now it seems you're saying it's a salary issue?

Ah, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were against the arbitration, but now it seems you're saying it's a salary issue?

Yes they have limited cap space and depending on what the rule is money wise they might not be able to fit him in.

Hexy has already said he isn't going over the cap.

I agree so if MDZ doesn't sign a team friendly deal which you'd think he would since they gave him a deal when noone else was really interested he would.

But he doesn't have to so we'll see.

I think the deal Tyson Barrie signed is good enough MZD similar age and production.

Meltzer:

Flyers defenseman Michael Del Zotto filed for salary arbitration on Friday. This is a procedural issue and does not preclude the two sides from coming to an agreement. It does mean there is still work to do, because there is likely a significant gap between the dollars and term that the Del Zotto camp has in mind and what the Flyers are offering.

Del Zotto can become an unrestricted free agent next summer, which drives up the price tag for any multi-year arrangement. A year ago, when Del Zotto was cast aside by both the New York Rangers and Nashville Predators and then sat unsigned on the unrestricted free agent market until August, he had no leverage. He signed a discount (one year, $1.3 million) "prove yourself" contract with the Flyers.

The player had a generally good 2014-15 season. He was strong in October to mid-November. After a backslide and a lengthy stint as a healthy scratch in late November to early December, he played well for most of the remaining season. In particular, Del Zotto re-established himself as a threat joining the rush up the left side as well as a strong breakout passer. Defensively, he was adequate and more physical than many expected.

Throughout recent weeks, Hextall has characterized talks with Del Zotto's agent, Don Meehan, as "cordial." Meehan is one of the NHL's most seasoned agents, having represented hundreds of players and a few dozen Flyers over the years. While a strong advocate for his clients, Meehan is not usually one to get into very contentious negotiations even if the two sides are not close in terms. It's usually very businesslike.

Hextall has also been through a heap of difficult contract negotiations from both sides of the table. He knows hockey is a business first and foremost.

During his first playing stint with the Flyers, Hextall hired the controversial Ritch Winter as his agent. Shortly thereafter, he staged a holdout from the Flyers while still under contract. The same thing nearly happened the following year -- and Hextall was on the brink of being traded -- until he fired Winter and hired Steve Mountain to represent him.

In the summer of 1996, during Hextall's second stint as a Flyer, he and the Flyers were far apart on contract terms after what arguably was the second-best season of his NHL career. Hextall filed for arbitration and a hearing date was set. On the day of the hearing, the Flyers and agent Mountain met in a last-ditch effort to come to terms. Roughly an hour before the scheduled start time, the two sides reached an agreement.

As a general manager, Hextall knows what his budget is. He knows what his short-term and long-term plans are for his roster. He knows how long of a contract (two years, in my opinion) would be fair to both sides and give his team some flexibility. No doubt the Flyers' current offer to Del Zotto will increase as arbitration draws nearer.

Even if the case winds up in arbitration -- where a one-year award is the norm but a two-year award is possible -- the Flyers and the Del Zotto camp will likely deal with whatever the outcome is and move on to next season. Arbitration is never ideal because the team has to present a case for why the player is not worth the money his agent seeks. If the player is present, it can be upsetting and demoralizing.

However, not every NHL general manager is a frothing-at-the-mouth attack dog ala Mike Milbury reducing his starting goalie, Tommy Salo, to tears at an arbitration hearing. Oddly enough, Salo went on to become a hockey general manager in Sweden.

Was the quick signing of Provorov intended to send a message to the Del Zotto camp that the team may have other viable options if they are unwilling to compromise? To some degree, yes. But this isn't Meehan's first rodeo. He already knows where his client stands in the Flyers' plans and is anticipating their strategy just as Hextall realizes where the other camp is heading.

In reality, the two could almost even switch roles and argue the other side's case. That is why savvy player agents such as Ray Shero and Bill Zito seamlessly switched sides from agents to team management. It's how former players who experienced contract squabbles with teams during their playing days can go on to be the ones trying to hold the budgetary line.

A final anecdote about Hextall's own contract history during his playing days. Before his final season as a player (1998-99), his game was in decline and he was slated to be the backup to recently signed John Vanbiesbrouck.

In this era, the CBA still allowed for players and teams to restructure existing contracts. That was how Hextall, years earlier, got his deal restructured after replacing Winter with Mountain. Now, he had little leverage, and both he and Flyers general manager Bob Clarke knew it. Clarke informed Hextall he had two choices: pay cut or waiver wire.

Hextall was not happy, of course, but choose the first option. The next year, after his retirement, the Flyers hired him to begin the long path through scouting and player personnel that eventually led to him becoming the Flyers' general manager after a lengthy stint in Los Angeles.

Archived