Official - Kessel to Pens for prospects, picks

pilldoc

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crosby and Malkin need wingers now, not in four or five years. Lol. Homer would've traded the entire farm system by now!

But... wasn't it Chicago who was going to regret the loss of (second round) draft picks this season and next because they are going to need cheap young talent coming in to compliment their highly paid core?

Or was I reading that wrong?

:cool[1]::hocky:

@radoran

Chicago actually is a lot like us. Drafted a solid core. But a lot of the depth they've enjoyed was through free agency since the cap wasn't an issue. Now they're more like us, and draft pick Saad just got dumped. Who's next?

We need to take our shots now, not in four or five years. My mentality is first place or last place. Finish in the middle and you stay in the middle.

But... wasn't it Chicago who was going to regret the loss of (second round) draft picks this season and next because they are going to need cheap young talent coming in to compliment their highly paid core?

Or was I reading that wrong?

:cool[1]::hocky:

It was Chicago that overpaid for a useless defenseman. And now they're forved to dump players they should keep (Saad) so those picks might help. If you're going to trade high picks, get something for them (Kessel).

@radoran

Chicago actually is a lot like us. Drafted a solid core. But a lot of the depth they've enjoyed was through free agency since the cap wasn't an issue. Now they're more like us, and draft pick Saad just got dumped. Who's next?

We need to take our shots now, not in four or five years. My mentality is first place or last place. Finish in the middle and you stay in the middle.

It was Chicago that overpaid for a useless defenseman. And now they're forved to dump players they should keep (Saad) so those picks might help. If you're going to trade high picks, get something for them (Kessel).

They won a Cup. First Place.

Q.E.D. for your mentality, isn't it?

:thumbsu:

They won a Cup. First Place.

Q.E.D. for your mentality, isn't it?

:thumbsu:

For the six? Seven millionth time? Timonen was a complete waste of picks. They would've won without him. He was only negative stats. You like rehashing this one for some reason...

It's a LOT different than the Kessel trade. If Kessel were a #warrior with two months of career left, hadn't played in a year and had been diminishing steadily prior to serious injury, I'd be calling for Rutherford's head if he gave up two 2nds for him. Quite a bit different though isn't it? Kessel contributes to win now more than two 2nd rounders. I felt at the time Timonen would not. And as luck would have it, he hurt their games more than anything else.

You know, I'm allowed to be right sometimes!

For the six? Seven millionth time? Timonen was a complete waste of picks. They would've won without him. He was only negative stats. You like rehashing this one for some reason...

It's a LOT different than the Kessel trade. If Kessel were a #warrior with two months of career left, hadn't played in a year and had been diminishing steadily prior to serious injury, I'd be calling for Rutherford's head if he gave up two 2nds for him. Quite a bit different though isn't it? Kessel contributes to win now more than two 2nd rounders. I felt at the time Timonen would not. And as luck would have it, he hurt their games more than anything else.

At times it looks and sounds like you enjoy an argument! Imo,don't know if that is the case! It seems like it! Then you get pissed off if someone has a different opinion! It only my opinion it looks like it! Right or wrong I'm not sure! I'm hope I'm wrong!

At times it looks and sounds like you enjoy an argument! Imo,don't know if that is the case! It seems like it! Then you get pissed off if someone has a different opinion! It only my opinion it looks like it! Right or wrong I'm not sure! I'm hope I'm wrong!

I enjoy a reasonable debate. I don't get "pissed off" over anything here, despite several of your efforts. i.e. this post.

Radoran and I debate things fairly often. Our opinions are often different.

@B21  All you have to know is he demanded "special" treatment, like the little premadonna that he is. Even joked about it with the media "everyone knows, there is one set of rules for Phil, and one set of rules for eveybody else"....this is the guy you acquired, whose ego is more important than the team.....enjoy.

Pens fans as usual are buying into this move which reeks of the win now. In 3 to 4 years this will be a disaster of a contract. Keep up the great work Rutherford..

Yeah, it's definitely win now.  They're really not far off, so go for it while you can.  Worry about after 3-4 years when you're in the 3rd or 4th year.   Sid/Geno are not senior citizens but their window only has so long to stay open.   Grab it while you still have opportunity.

I think the Pens will definitely eventually feel the effects of several first rounders in a row being traded away.  We saw that in Philly.   But, yeah, take your shot now.

Well, you are this time, anyway.

@B21  All you have to know is he demanded "special" treatment, like the little premadonna that he is. Even joked about it with the media "everyone knows, there is one set of rules for Phil, and one set of rules for eveybody else"....this is the guy you acquired, whose ego is more important than the team.....enjoy.

Is that an actual quote? Because I can't seem to find it. What I do know is he was aloof with a Toronto media who clearly turned on him (some of that his own doing). He has issues with conditioning.  His defense is suspect (and that's putting it mildly).  He's not a leader.  He's never going to be a leader (even though he was getting paid like one).  The Pens don't need him to be one, though. They need his skill and there is plenty of that.

@B21  Yes, it was an actual quote, and it was shown on Ontario wide news, I'm not making this stuff up....there was this whole bro ha ha...about whether Kessel should have special rules that apply only to him. It's part of what lead to todays trade in my estimation.

@B21

As I've said...you guys bought low. But if you get "Leaf Phil kessel" and he continues what he's been doing there....you got burned. 

If Crosby can convince him to get into shape, stop thinking he's getting $8 million a year to eat crap, dogf@#$, and pretend you're a professional athlete, it may work well in your favor. I have no idea which way this goes. He is not normal.

As Babcock said...he wants guys on his team who are in shape, and will answer the bell when they don't do their job. Right there is THE reason Phil Kessel is not a Leaf, and why he was traded for whatever they could get for him. Babcock didn't want that influence on a rebuild.

Is that an actual quote? Because I can't seem to find it. What I do know is he was aloof with a Toronto media who clearly turned on him (some of that his own doing). He has issues with conditioning.  His defense is suspect (and that's putting it mildly).  He's not a leader.  He's never going to be a leader (even though he was getting paid like one).  The Pens don't need him to be one, though. They need his skill and there is plenty of that.

I remember hearing that quote from my fiancée (Leafs fan). I can't find the reference though. But there's this from an article after the Carlyle firing, which implies that motivating Kessel is a difficult proposition:

"The worry with Kessel, however, is you need to do what you can to motivate him and hopefully get him to play some defence and not take too many shifts off. On the other hand, as Carlyle found out, you can’t just let him do his own thing or establish two sets of rules, one for Phil and one for everyone else. It’s Horachek’s job to find a happy medium." http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/09/maple-leafs-winger-phil-kessel-appears-more-relaxed-and-opens-up-a-bit-with-media-after-coaching-change

Then there's this from the pre-season:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/09/18/randy_carlyle_defends_double_standard_for_phil_kessel.html

ETA: these sound more like coaching decisions than something Kessel pushed for on his own. Don't know if Carlyle found he had to do this, or just decided he wanted to.

I was *so* looking forward to the Kessel vs Babber wars, a very public display of his dislike for Phil's style of play....oh well, screwing up the Pens would have been next on my list.

@B21  Yes, it was an actual quote, and it was shown on Ontario wide news, I'm not making this stuff up....there was this whole bro ha ha...about whether Kessel should have special rules that apply only to him. It's part of what lead to todays trade in my estimation.

Well you just went from a direct quote to "there was this whole bro ha ha...about whether Kessel should have special rules that apply only to him." 

Carlyle was fired 6 months ago.  If Kesel...Phil Kessel...was actually quoted as saying that, I'd find it.  Otherwise, internet fodder.

The guy clearly has issues. I'm just not buying this whole "locker room cancer" thing. 

"The worry with Kessel, however, is you need to do what you can to motivate him and hopefully get him to play some defence and not take too many shifts off. On the other hand, as Carlyle found out, you can’t just let him do his own thing or establish two sets of rules, one for Phil and one for everyone else. It’s Horachek’s job to find a happy medium." http://www.torontosu...coaching-change

@jammer2

See? This is what I mean.  It's a writers opinion.  Kessel did not say it.  Thanks for proving my point that a lot of what was written about him (especially by the Toronto media) needs to be taken with a grain a salt (aside from the conditionining of course). 

I noticed a lot of negative comments about Kessel started around the time Carlysle got fired too. So was this just admitting the truth of what Kessel was like, or softening the blow from fans when they'd decided to be rid of him. ala Pens/Jagr?

I don't even know if this is the real Kessel, but the Pens Twitter feed tagged him as such... And this is just funny fat guy stuff...

That's not him, but that's funny as hell

Archived