What will your team's opening day line-up look like?

ScottM

dm_141025_devils_senators.jpg

We're 93 days away from the opening of the 2015 NHL season, and rosters are beginning to take shape following the draft and free agency. What do you expect your team's roster to look like on opening day?

Here's my guess for the Senators:

First Line: MacArthur, Turris, Stone

Second Line: Hoffman, Zabinejad, Ryan

Third Line: Michalek, Pageau, Lazar

Fourth Line: Neil, Smith, Chiasson

First Defensive Pair: Karlsson, Methot

Second Defensive Pair: Ceci, Borowiecki

Third Defensive Pair: Wiercioch,Cowen

Goalies: Anderson, Hammond

We're paying a lot of money for Philips to be a scratch, but I don't think he really has much at all left in the tank, so I think we'll have to sit him. Greening (obviously) sits despite his contract too.

dm_141025_devils_senators.jpg

We're 93 days away from the opening of the 2015 NHL season, and rosters are beginning to take shape following the draft and free agency. What do you expect your team's roster to look like on opening day?

Here's my guess for the Senators:

First Line: MacArthur, Turris, Stone

Second Line: Hoffman, Zabinejad, Ryan

Third Line: Michalek, Pageau, Lazar

Fourth Line: Neil, Smith, Chiasson

First Defensive Pair: Karlsson, Methot

Second Defensive Pair: Ceci, Borowiecki

Third Defensive Pair: Wiercioch,Cowen

Goalies: Anderson, Hammond

We're paying a lot of money for Philips to be a scratch, but I don't think he really has much at all left in the tank, so I think we'll have to sit him. Greening (obviously) sits despite his contract too.

Sharks:

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski

Marleau/Couture/Goldobin

Nieto/Hertl/Ward

Wingels/Tierney/Smith

Martin/Burns

Vlasic/Braun

Dillon/Mueller

Tennyson

Jones

Stalock

Only question marks for me are if Goldobin or Donskoi make the team. Goldobin IMO, needs a full AHL year. Donskoi is physically ready, but not used to North American rinks. Goldobin is top 6 or bust. Donskoi being good defensively is more versatile.

Mueller will either play on his off side, or in the AHL until injuries. Tennyson is on a one way this season, so its make the team or waivers, which I doubt he clears.

In no particular order kind of and guys are kind of out of position because my Flyers have fifty-leven-hundred centers here is the best i can do............

Gagner-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Raffl-RJ-Simmonds
White-Bellemare-VandeVelde

----------------------------------------------

VLC

Streit-Medvedev
MDZ-Schenn

Mcdud-Gudas

----------------------------------------------

Schultz-Manning

Mason
Neuvirth

So it's a start but things are subject to change.....

Seems both the Lightning and Wild won't actually look too much different than the teams that finished the season in 2015.

For the Bolts, it's quite understandable....they already had a pretty dynamic team, just need a bit more seasoning with some of their players.

I would have thought the Wild at least, would have been trying to land a sniper somehow....not many available through FA, but perhaps via trade.

At this stage, that may still be possible, as the off season still has a way to go.

At any rate, thus far, this is what perhaps the Lightning will look like, though it may not be quite the final set up.

I will come back a bit later after examining the Minnesota Wild and post theirs.

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Alex Killorn - Valterri Filppula - Steven Stamkos

Ondrej Palat  -  Tyler Johnson -  Nikita Kucherov

Ryan Callahan - Vladislav Namestnikov - Erik Condra

Jonathan Drouin - Brian Boyle - JT Brown

Victor Hedman  -  Anton Stralman

Jason Garrison - Braydon Coburn

Matt Carle  -  Andrej Sustr

Ben Bishop - Andrej Vasilevskiy

On the forward lines, Stamkos and Filppula could very well flip flop positions (both can play C or W), also, Callahan can possibly move in and replace Killorn, depending on training camps and how they do during actual game days.

Cedric Paquette is a versatile guy who can see time on any bottom six position....maybe even a second line position (but if the top six guys are doing their jobs, that shouldn't e necessary).

Jonathan Drouin controls his own destiny now....all he has to show is that he IS top six material, and I am sure the coach will find him a spot there (I would LOVE Drouin to be on the top line with Stamkos and Filppula!), but he has to show he can play with those guys not just physically (he can certainly do that), but mentally and hockey IQ-wise as well.

Also, Drouin filled in for Kucherov on the Triplets line at some points during the season, and he could possibly mesh in there as well.....especially if the Bolts decide for some reason to trade one of the Triplets (Nikita Kucherov's name has come up with fans discussing the Bolts....some suggested even Tyler Johnson for a big return).

Brendan Morrow, of course, was not re-signed, which is why we have Erik Condra in.

Namestnikov may or may not be with the team come the start of the season (I personally like him, but it seems the Bolts hadn't always given him plenty of ice time for him to develop as he should...not sure if they think the will pan out or not).

He too has played on the Triplets line (replacing Johnson when Tyler was injured), and I thought he did well playing with Palat and Kucherov.

The defense looks fairly set (unless the Bolts trade Matt Carle...wishful thinking...), but I DO know that guys like Nikita Nesterov, Slater Koekkoek, and possibly Luke Witkowski will be pushing defensemen for ice time.

May still be too soon for Anthony DeAngelo...maybe a late season call up?

In no particular order kind of and guys are kind of out of position because my Flyers have fifty-leven-hundred centers here is the best i can do............

Gagner-Giroux-Voracek

Read-Couturier-Schenn

Raffl-RJ-Simmonds

White-Bellemare-VandeVelde

VLC

Streit-Medvedev

Del Zotto-Schenn

Macdonald-Gudas

Schultz-Manning

Mason

Neuvirth

So it's a start but things are subject to change.....

Fear not. Its not always bad!

Sharks natural centers.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Tierney, Wingels, Karlsson.

Shark winger used instead as center lol: Smith

Sharks:

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski

Marleau/Couture/Goldobin

Nieto/Hertl/Ward

Wingels/Tierney/Smith

Martin/Burns

Vlasic/Braun

Dillon/Mueller

Tennyson

Jones

Stalock

Only question marks for me are if Goldobin or Donskoi make the team. Goldobin IMO, needs a full AHL year. Donskoi is physically ready, but not used to North American rinks. Goldobin is top 6 or bust. Donskoi being good defensively is more versatile.

Mueller will either play on his off side, or in the AHL until injuries. Tennyson is on a one way this season, so its make the team or waivers, which I doubt he clears.

You do know that Goldobin will have sheltered minutes on the third line, at least to start. Also, Tierney will end up replacing Thornton in the Top 6 in the long run. Don't be surprised if he replaced Goldobin in the short run in your Top 6.

Also, I know BB88 is the #1 defenseman on the PP, but he and Paul Martin are not the first pair. Vlasic/Braun will be the first pair most of the season.

I see something more like this:

Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski

Marleau-Tierney-Couture

Nieto-Hertl-Ward

Goodrow-Smith-Karlsson

(with Tarasov, Donskoi, Brown, Torres (if healthy) in the mix for F13 and F14)

on D:

Vlasic/Braun

Martin/Burns

Dillion/Mueller

(Expect Tennyson to get some playing time as he looked good towards the end of the year. And don't discount Irwin returning. Still possible.)

Obviously you have the goalie situation down, but Stalock will get more starts than you might think.

Also, J0e Th0rnton, Ben Smith is a natural center. I worked for the Rockford Icehogs while he was playing there, and he played over 75% of the time at center, and he was pretty effective on draws. Better than Desjardins, which is part of the reason for the trade. 

Seems both the Lightning and Wild won't actually look too much different than the teams that finished the season in 2015.

For the Bolts, it's quite understandable....they already had a pretty dynamic team, just need a bit more seasoning with some of their players.

I would have thought the Wild at least, would have been trying to land a sniper somehow....not many available through FA, but perhaps via trade.

At this stage, that may still be possible, as the off season still has a way to go.

At any rate, thus far, this is what perhaps the Lightning will look like, though it may not be quite the final set up.

I will come back a bit later after examining the Minnesota Wild and post theirs.

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Alex Killorn - Valterri Filppula - Steven Stamkos

Ondrej Palat  -  Tyler Johnson -  Nikita Kucherov

Ryan Callahan - Vladislav Namestnikov - Erik Condra

Jonathan Drouin - Brian Boyle - JT Brown

Victor Hedman  -  Anton Stralman

Jason Garrison - Braydon Coburn

Matt Carle  -  Andrej Sustr

Ben Bishop - Andrej Vasilevskiy

On the forward lines, Stamkos and Filppula could very well flip flop positions (both can play C or W), also, Callahan can possibly move in and replace Killorn, depending on training camps and how they do during actual game days.

Cedric Paquette is a versatile guy who can see time on any bottom six position....maybe even a second line position (but if the top six guys are doing their jobs, that shouldn't e necessary).

Jonathan Drouin controls his own destiny now....all he has to show is that he IS top six material, and I am sure the coach will find him a spot there (I would LOVE Drouin to be on the top line with Stamkos and Filppula!), but he has to show he can play with those guys not just physically (he can certainly do that), but mentally and hockey IQ-wise as well.

Also, Drouin filled in for Kucherov on the Triplets line at some points during the season, and he could possibly mesh in there as well.....especially if the Bolts decide for some reason to trade one of the Triplets (Nikita Kucherov's name has come up with fans discussing the Bolts....some suggested even Tyler Johnson for a big return).

Brendan Morrow, of course, was not re-signed, which is why we have Erik Condra in.

Namestnikov may or may not be with the team come the start of the season (I personally like him, but it seems the Bolts hadn't always given him plenty of ice time for him to develop as he should...not sure if they think the will pan out or not).

He too has played on the Triplets line (replacing Johnson when Tyler was injured), and I thought he did well playing with Palat and Kucherov.

The defense looks fairly set (unless the Bolts trade Matt Carle...wishful thinking...), but I DO know that guys like Nikita Nesterov, Slater Koekkoek, and possibly Luke Witkowski will be pushing defensemen for ice time.

May still be too soon for Anthony DeAngelo...maybe a late season call up?

I know the forward lines worked pretty well during the playoffs, but expect some changes. For example, I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Drouin-Stamkos-Killorn

Triplets

Callahan-Filppula-Brown

Paquette-Boyle-Condra

Keep in mind, Paquette looked great during the playoffs. He will still serve a bottom 6, but he's than anyone else they can plug in the lineup. I think he moves to 4th line when #51 moves down. 

Keeping the same lines as the playoffs is lazy. Some people will improve drastically, and some people regress. Don't expect the lines to stay the same.

You do know that Goldobin will have sheltered minutes on the third line, at least to start. Also, Tierney will end up replacing Thornton in the Top 6 in the long run. Don't be surprised if he replaced Goldobin in the short run in your Top 6.

Also, I know BB88 is the #1 defenseman on the PP, but he and Paul Martin are not the first pair. Vlasic/Braun will be the first pair most of the season.

I see something more like this:

Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski

Marleau-Tierney-Couture

Nieto-Hertl-Ward

Goodrow-Smith-Karlsson

(with Tarasov, Donskoi, Brown, Torres (if healthy) in the mix for F13 and F14)

on D:

Vlasic/Braun

Martin/Burns

Dillion/Mueller

(Expect Tennyson to get some playing time as he looked good towards the end of the year. And don't discount Irwin returning. Still possible.)

Obviously you have the goalie situation down, but Stalock will get more starts than you might think.

Also, J0e Th0rnton, Ben Smith is a natural center. I worked for the Rockford Icehogs while he was playing there, and he played over 75% of the time at center, and he was pretty effective on draws. Better than Desjardins, which is part of the reason for the trade. 

Irwin is a lefty. So is Mueller. Will be a hard sell having multiple guys playing on their off sides. It is harder to do than most think.

I think they will try to roll defensive pairings rather equally. Burns/Martin out with Thornton's line, while Vlasic/Braun out with couture's.

In any case, I hope Deboer let's them try to create from the blueline. Other than Burns, TMac seemed to have a muzzle on them except for his early years.

SMith is a good 4th line center I know. But hawks fans and several shark fans seem to think he produces better from the wing. I like his faceoff prowess. I do know the best Hertl i saw last season was when he had center time. Only a few games. but the difference was night and day. Sadly, Tierney was the same. Both seem best at center.

I also remember our experiment with Couture at wing. Baaaaaad. but that was years ago

Irwin is a lefty. So is Mueller. Will be a hard sell having multiple guys playing on their off sides. It is harder to do than most think.

I think they will try to roll defensive pairings rather equally. Burns/Martin out with Thornton's line, while Vlasic/Braun out with couture's.

In any case, I hope Deboer let's them try to create from the blueline. Other than Burns, TMac seemed to have a muzzle on them except for his early years.

SMith is a good 4th line center I know. But hawks fans and several shark fans seem to think he produces better from the wing. I like his faceoff prowess. I do know the best Hertl i saw last season was when he had center time. Only a few games. but the difference was night and day. Sadly, Tierney was the same. Both seem best at center.

I also remember our experiment with Couture at wing. Baaaaaad. but that was years ago

Right now, 4 and 41, the third pair, are both lefties, so if you're using that logic, Mueller is sitting or playing in the AHL for Tennyson, and righty, and then you still need a 7th D. I would NOT keep Mueller as 7. He needs to develop on the ice. That's why it was kind of surprising to not hear much about Cody Franson. He's a right, and would have made things easier in that regard. If you're going with the 3L and 3R deal, which does make the most sense for defensemen, we already have a problem, so adding Irwin, who played the best hockey of his life the 2nd half of the season (better than Tennyson or Mueller), wouldn't solve problem or make it worse. It would, however, force Mueller to the AHL. I think he should be there anyways.

I'm happy with Martin, and you can't have everyone. 

Right now, 4 and 41, the third pair, are both lefties, so if you're using that logic, Mueller is sitting or playing in the AHL for Tennyson, and righty, and then you still need a 7th D. I would NOT keep Mueller as 7. He needs to develop on the ice. That's why it was kind of surprising to not hear much about Cody Franson. He's a right, and would have made things easier in that regard. If you're going with the 3L and 3R deal, which does make the most sense for defensemen, we already have a problem, so adding Irwin, who played the best hockey of his life the 2nd half of the season (better than Tennyson or Mueller), wouldn't solve problem or make it worse. It would, however, force Mueller to the AHL. I think he should be there anyways.

I'm happy with Martin, and you can't have everyone. 

Yeah it kind of sucks. It is just how it is. You can switch sides, but 90% of defensemen who do suffer performance drops. Usually bad ones. They had Braun on his off side at points in his first few years and it was a WRECK. A few times this year people suggested Braun be paired with Burns, and each time, Fans who remembered Braun on the left said NO WAY. Dillon had a few stretches this season where TMac had him on his off side, and he went from being a #4/#5 D to looking like an AHL rookie.

In juniors, they go out of their way to make sure the kids play on their natural side. Everything from coralling the puck along the boards to hold the zone, to retrieval in your own zone and direction you come out with the puck and angles of passing change on the opposite side. on your off side, holding the zone on your off side forces you to take that extra action from backhand to forehand, either by kicking it or spinning. That split second of switch is a split second an opposing player is bearing down on you cutting off your angles. In the pros, that split second makes a lot of difference.

These kids spend YEARS building muscle memory on their natural side. You can't just switch easily. It takes time and a lot of practice for them to figure out how to do what used to be routine plays completely differently. In the exact words of Brent Burns, It is more difficult to switch sides than it is to convert to forward and back.

Vlasic can switch with little to no issues, and so can Martin. the lucky 10%. But should they? Martin/Burns sounds like a tantalizing pairing.

Quite frankly, I want to see Brown buried, I assume Torres may be done like dinner. The UFA we should be trying to get a year from right now is Zidlicky. He is 38, but showed in Detroit on a decent team's 2nd PP he can still be a half PPG player.

And he has shown he will sign 1 year contracts for low AAV. Detroit can no longer afford him. A buried Brown and LTIR Torres and suddenly we have the space to throw a few million at Zidlicky.

Let Mueller play top pairing minutes in the AHL. Tennyson a 7th.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

I posted this as a Joke on Hockeybuzz, but then thought about it

Quite frankly, it would be fun to see Jumbo get put on the 3rd line. Just to see what opposing coaches would do.

Run with:
Hertl/Pavelski/Marleau
Goldobin/Couture/Nieto
Karlsson/Thornton/Ward
Wingels/Tierney/Smith

And see if opposing coaches have sudden questionmarks pop up over their heads on how to line match lol. I can see Boudreau now.....
"Well, I HAVE to cover Thornton's line" so send Kesler out.....But then Getzlaf's line faces....Couture? Seems prudent....... ACK!@!!!, that means Horcoff will be out against Pavelski's line??? Who the hell is Tierney and why is he so good? he is making Rakell look like Sh&@"

The scary thing is, after reading that.....I would run those lines because I think they could work. I have no doubt Jumbo could get scoring and possession with Karlsson and Ward.

If we rather Pavelski on wing, then Let him take the faceoff and move to wing while Hertl moves center like Pavs did in his brief stint on Couture's line this season just so we could win a faceoff once in awhile lol.

Looking at what the Minnesota Wild currently have and what it could look like going in:

Zach Parise - Mikael Granlund - Jason Pominville

Jason Zucker - Mikko Koivu - Thomas Vanek

Nino Niedderreiter - Charlie Coyle - Justin Fontaine

Jay Schroeder - Ryan Carter - Erik Haula

Ryan Suter - Jonas Brodin

Marco Scandella - Jared Spurgeon

Matt Dumba - Nate Prosser

Deven Dubnyk - Darcy Kuemper

The forward lines don't look quite right, to be honest, and that's because I think the Wild really need to acquire another sniper (or have Zucker and Vanek become undisputed ones).

Vanek, for instance, had seen time all over the place due to his inconsistency. Ideally, he SHOULD be a top six forward/sniper, but he simply hadn't played like one...thus he has spent much time in the bottom six roles as well...even an occasional scratch.

Jason Zucker has potential to be a top six sniper (and boy would it help this team if he could remain one in the top six), but his decision making and his defensive game still leave a lot to be desired. Of course, he is still a very young winger, so those things could come in time...the guy just may be one of the fastest players not only on this team though, but in the entire NHL...if he breaks loose, it sure is fun to watch!

Mikael Granlund was just given a 2 yr bridge deal to prove he CAN be a number one center. I believe he can, but we will see. It is rumored he wants a TON of money on a long term contract, and if he can prove over the next two seasons that he can be a 1C, I think the Wild pay him, and would even trade others to make room for his salary too.

I like Mikko Koivu as a 3C, but until a guy like Charlie Coyle proves HE can be a 2C, Mikko is put there. Coyle has improved by quite a bit, and he has been moved from wing to center, but it seems he is more engaged in the game as a centerman. His production must be a bit higher though to be considered for a regular top six role however.

Guys like Ryan Carter, Justin Fontaine, Jay Schroeder, and even Erik Haula (unless he can recover his form from two seasons ago) just seem like steady bottom six guys.....and looking at it that way, the Wild simply have too many of those right now...again, a need for a top six sniper.

Nino Niedderreiter seems like an "in betweener"..meaning he can be a top six guy (if he can stay consistent) or a bottom six guy if his production is average, but he maintains his good checking and defensive game.

The defensive pairings are a bit fluid as well.

Ryan Suter is unquestionably the 1D in the group and he is often paired with Jonas Brodin who seems like a younger, mirror image of him.

Matt Dumba and even Jared Spurgeon have seen time with Suter, however, to give teams differing looks, as Spurgeon and Dumba are more offensive oriented, faster skaters, and willing to take more chances while the responsible Suter plays the all around game.

Meanwhile, the "mirror image" Brodin can be moved to the 2nd pairing and compliment the tough, stay at home defense of Marco Scandella while Brodin plays either defensively or pinches in on plays when it is warranted.

Nate Prosser is definitely a bottom pair guy, although he brings the sandpaper (he is an excellent agitator and draws penalties pretty well), the size and toughness (6'2 215 and won't put up with nonsense in front of his goalie), and is usually found staying back to at least have one guy back while the rest of the Wild are possibly pressuring on offense.

He does NOT however, bring any sort of real offense...his shot is inaccurate, his overall speed is average, and he doesn't pinch in regularly, if at all.

I am also thinking a guy like Jared Spurgeon could be moved during the off season to bring in a sniper type or maybe a slightly larger defenseman, or maybe both in the form of young players not  fully developed yet.

Yeah it kind of sucks. It is just how it is. You can switch sides, but 90% of defensemen who do suffer performance drops. Usually bad ones. They had Braun on his off side at points in his first few years and it was a WRECK. A few times this year people suggested Braun be paired with Burns, and each time, Fans who remembered Braun on the left said NO WAY. Dillon had a few stretches this season where TMac had him on his off side, and he went from being a #4/#5 D to looking like an AHL rookie.

In juniors, they go out of their way to make sure the kids play on their natural side. Everything from coralling the puck along the boards to hold the zone, to retrieval in your own zone and direction you come out with the puck and angles of passing change on the opposite side. on your off side, holding the zone on your off side forces you to take that extra action from backhand to forehand, either by kicking it or spinning. That split second of switch is a split second an opposing player is bearing down on you cutting off your angles. In the pros, that split second makes a lot of difference.

These kids spend YEARS building muscle memory on their natural side. You can't just switch easily. It takes time and a lot of practice for them to figure out how to do what used to be routine plays completely differently. In the exact words of Brent Burns, It is more difficult to switch sides than it is to convert to forward and back.

Vlasic can switch with little to no issues, and so can Martin. the lucky 10%. But should they? Martin/Burns sounds like a tantalizing pairing.

Quite frankly, I want to see Brown buried, I assume Torres may be done like dinner. The UFA we should be trying to get a year from right now is Zidlicky. He is 38, but showed in Detroit on a decent team's 2nd PP he can still be a half PPG player.

And he has shown he will sign 1 year contracts for low AAV. Detroit can no longer afford him. A buried Brown and LTIR Torres and suddenly we have the space to throw a few million at Zidlicky.

Let Mueller play top pairing minutes in the AHL. Tennyson a 7th.

I don't know that Zidlicky is the best option. Tennyson is a better option. He at least can skate. haha

@teenagemutantninjahertl

I posted this as a Joke on Hockeybuzz, but then thought about it

Quite frankly, it would be fun to see Jumbo get put on the 3rd line. Just to see what opposing coaches would do.

Run with:

Hertl/Pavelski/Marleau

Goldobin/Couture/Nieto

Karlsson/Thornton/Ward

Wingels/Tierney/Smith

And see if opposing coaches have sudden questionmarks pop up over their heads on how to line match lol. I can see Boudreau now.....

"Well, I HAVE to cover Thornton's line" so send Kesler out.....But then Getzlaf's line faces....Couture? Seems prudent....... ACK!@!!!, that means Horcoff will be out against Pavelski's line??? Who the hell is Tierney and why is he so good? he is making Rakell look like Sh&@"

The scary thing is, after reading that.....I would run those lines because I think they could work. I have no doubt Jumbo could get scoring and possession with Karlsson and Ward.

If we rather Pavelski on wing, then Let him take the faceoff and move to wing while Hertl moves center like Pavs did in his brief stint on Couture's line this season just so we could win a faceoff once in awhile lol.

A couple of things: 1. Goldobin will start the year on the third line, at best. He needs to be sheltered the first few games. He might move up. I thought he looked good, but he needs sheltering to start. 2. I think a line of Karlsson, Tierney, and Ward WOULD be killer. You're crazy if you think they highest paid player on the team is going to be on the third line.

A couple of things: 1. Goldobin will start the year on the third line, at best. He needs to be sheltered the first few games. He might move up. I thought he looked good, but he needs sheltering to start. 2. I think a line of Karlsson, Tierney, and Ward WOULD be killer. You're crazy if you think they highest paid player on the team is going to be on the third line.

Then Pencil Karlsson and Ward in as top line wingers and call it the first line lol.

It honestly does not matter. Whatever line Thornton is on becomes the defacto 1st line that opposing coaches try to stop. Don't look at that chart as "top line" so much as line combinations that will receive similar icetime.

Well Pavel is going to miss the first month, so:

Nyquist...Zetterberg...Abdelkader

Tatar...Richards....Pulkinnen

Helm...Sheahan....Jurco

Andersson....Glendening...Miller

Defense:

Kronwall......Ericsson

Green........Dekeyser

Smith........Quincey

Flip a coin in net between Howard and Mrazek

As I posted elsewhere, lots of kids in Grand Rapids pushing for jobs, make or break year for Jurco especially who slumped badly last year, Helm and Abdelkader both UFA at the end of the year have zero margin for error if they want to return. Should be a hungry squad with new blood in terms of a few vets and hungry kids chomping at the bit.

Flip a coin in net between Howard and Mrazek

As I posted elsewhere, lots of kids in Grand Rapids pushing for jobs, make or break year for Jurco especially who slumped badly last year, Helm and Abdelkader both UFA at the end of the year have zero margin for error if they want to return. Should be a hungry squad with new blood in terms of a few vets and hungry kids chomping at the bit.

I would bet money on Mrazek. I wouldn't be shocked to see Howard traded soon, probably to the team that the young kid didn't work out for (San Jose, Edmonton, Carolina, etc.)

I would bet money on Mrazek. I wouldn't be shocked to see Howard traded soon, probably to the team that the young kid didn't work out for (San Jose, Edmonton, Carolina, etc.)

I dunno. 5.3 million dollar cap hit lol. I suspect most teams will give their young guns at least 25 games to half a season unless they are really crapping the bed.

A season ending injury to a starter will get the conversations started

I dunno. 5.3 million dollar cap hit lol. I suspect most teams will give their young guns at least 25 games to half a season unless they are really crapping the bed.

A season ending injury to a starter will get the conversations started

Yeah, I wouldn't expect a trade until December. 

I think the only really big question for the Leafs is whether or not Bozak is traded and possibly replaced by a "bargain bin" free agent. Phaneuf trade is still a possibility, but sounding less and less likely.

I don't think you'll see too many Baby Leafs make the team full time. I think the Leafs want to protect them from the crap that is about to be.

You'd be hard pressed to find a worse forward group, in particular. Right now:

Pigeon-Kadri-Holland

Lupul-Bozak-Matthias

Winnik-Spaling-Parenteau

Komarov-Arcobello-Panik

Rielly-Phaneuf

Gardiner-Polak

Hunwick-Robidas

Bernier

Reimer

Kessel-Crosby-Perron

Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist

Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis

Bennet-Sundqvist-Biggs

Cole-Letang

Maatta-Scuderi

Pouliot-Dumoulin

I'm hoping not to see Ben Lovejoy, but I think he, Scud's and Kunitz have pictures of Mario which keeps them not only in the starting lineup, but in key spots. Dumoulin just signed a one way contract for two years so I think he is a part of their plans for the future.

Kessel-Crosby-Perron

Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist

Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis

Bennet-Sundqvist-Biggs

Cole-Letang

Maatta-Scuderi

Pouliot-Dumoulin

I'm hoping not to see Ben Lovejoy, but I think he, Scud's and Kunitz have pictures of Mario which keeps them not only in the starting lineup, but in key spots. Dumoulin just signed a one way contract for two years so I think he is a part of their plans for the future.

That forwards group could be pretty dangerous if everyone is dialed in and pulling in the same direction.

I think your defensive units though, could make LOTS of work for MAF.

Also, how is your depth in the minors?

A key injury or two to those forwards and it could upset the whole balance.

Before last season started, I made a "contender / wildcard/ darkhorse" type thread.

I will do so again right around the time exhibition games get started, but I gotta say, coming out of the Metro, I am already thinking the Pens could be my darkhorse/roll the dice  type team....that is to say, it is really hard to figure how this team will do: Could be fantastic, could be bottom of the barrel, could be barely hanging on.

@nossagog

I actually like our defense ... Though I wish they could've traded Scuderi, they could bump him and/or Livejoy into a six role and with limited minutes that might work.

And honestly? I'd like to see what zero con brings as a stay at home guy. He's been traded around so much I don't know that he's ever seen much ice time. Was a first round pick, though late, and may just be a guy who goes all out trying to prove he deserves a chance.

If not? We're going to have to open the gates and let the horses run. Our defense is largely guys who can bring offense. Let the entire team run!

Archived